'One Tree Hill' Recap: Dan Scott Says Goodbye

Thu, March 22, 2012 12:30am EDT by 40 Comments

Dan finally earns his son’s love & gets a surprise visitor from ‘Tree Hill’ past! This was the most emotional episode of the season.

Jamie’s (Jackson Brundage) words “He’ll be alright, he’s Grandpa Dan,” echoed throughout the hospital on the March 21 episode of One Tree Hill, as everyone came together after Dan (Paul Johansson) took a a bullet for Nathan (James Lafferty).

The doctors informed the newly reunited Scott family that after being shot, and combined with his heart problems, it was likely that Dan wouldn’t survive. Throughout the episode, Dan had flashbacks of the many paths he’d chosen in life. Some were good moments, like the 0ne time he and Nathan actually played basketball without keeping score, but others were more tragic events Dan sincerely regrets, like shooting his brother. But just when you thought he’d pull through, Dan flatlined and was visited by none-other-than his brother, Keith (Craig Sheffer). At this point, I thought it was appropriate to cry along with Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti), since she was the only person in tears the entire time.

Meanwhile, Brooke’s (Sophia Bush) father appeared at her front door, claiming he was concerned about his daughter after she’d been attacked by Xavier (Devin McGee), but Brooke didn’t believe it. And her suspicions proved to be right when he revealed he was only there for business, eager to sell Baker Man even though it doesn’t even exist yet. Because Ted (Richard Burgi) totally shut his daughter out of his life, Brooke proved she can close things too, by closing the door — right in his face! And despite all of the problems in her own life, Brooke still remained elated that Julian (Austin Nichols) finally had an idea for his sound stage.

Elsewhere, Clay (Robert Buckley) tried his best to prove he can be a good father by showing up at Sarah’s parents house to see Logan (Pierce Gagnon). He pleaded for them to let him be a part of his son’s life, and finally they caved — because if they didn’t, Clay, Quinn (Shantel VanSanten) and Logan couldn’t be the perfect blond family. (Duh!) Now that he’d finally found Logan, what he’d been looking for all along, Clay told his son that he was willing to be a part of his life. Finally, the moment I’d been waiting for since it was revealed that Clay had a son: Logan met Quinn and all was right in Tree Hill.

Even Dan Scott had himself a happy ending. After a heartbreaking conversation-slash-hallucination with Nathan, in which his son finally said he loved him, Dan was also forgiven by Keith’s ghost. Keith told Dan he could be his “plus one” in heaven, and the Scott brothers vanished down the hallway of Tree Hill High School.

So, apparently it really is possible to kill Dan Scott — but I don’t think he can be denied forgiveness. If his own brother can forgive him, then so can I.

What did you think of tonight’s incredible episode? Do you think Dan received a proper send-off? And have you, like Keith and Nathan, finally forgiven Dan for what he did? Leave us a comment with your thoughts on the man, the myth, the legend — Dan Scott.

— Jaymie Bailey

tee

Posted at 12:22 AM on June 3, 2012

love this series so much,i must say this episode was very touching,Dan really changed since his release and he did everything possible to earn forgiveness from his family but painfully all efforts were neglected.happy he earned forgiveness by all including keith @ d end but wish he didn’t have to die,but again if he didn’t ,i guess nathan would have been dead.I have learnt so much again from one three hill,it does really portray how one should live his/her life. thumbs up to the script writer

nicki

Posted at 5:21 PM on May 14, 2012

I cried all the way through dan did what he did in the past and has tried to get forgivness. Since then and nobody took intrest but did when it involved rescuing nathan he shouldve had that moment with his son nathan before he was gone poor little jamie will miss his time with grandpa dan :-(

tom

Posted at 7:39 AM on May 14, 2012

To me, one tree hill is a philosophy, the correct way of life portrayed by Mark Schwahn personal life view. It teaches us to be great.

We need to learn to forgive. Its one of one tree hills philosophies and ive learned that. I forgive Dan. Especially since Keith forgave Dan in one of the episodes after Keiths death (it probably wasnt a real life scene but it gets the message accross of what Keith would say if he were alive)

Ive not yet seen the episode after Dan Scott is shot but it is more poetic if he dies. Character Nathan Scott says something along the lines of “its good to see you, dad” and this is his way to saying ive forgiven you and obviously perfectly in time with the script that dan was to be killed off from the cast. Nathan finally learned to forgive where before his only son and wife seemed to have forgiven dan already. we need to forgive.

If you want to understand what the right decision is to make in life, watch one tree hill, think of how one of these characters may deal with your situation, how even how they dealt with your situation that was already shown on the programme. The help is usually there in one form or another.

My favourate show of all time. you have tought me alot one tree hill / Mark Schwahn. I love you for it

Eze cynthia

Posted at 4:14 AM on May 8, 2012

i knew it from the start, oth is really a great movie. this season is one of the most interesting season that i’ve watched, and i love it. “that’s what she said”

Nsude melina

Posted at 5:24 PM on May 2, 2012

I love it! Dan was truly sorry for what he did.though he did not deserve to die.But things has to end the way it has to end!

Nsude melina

Posted at 5:23 PM on May 2, 2012

I love it! Dan was truly sorry for what he did.but he did not deserve to die.But things has to end the way it has to end!

penababby

Posted at 9:55 AM on April 21, 2012

helllllll yeaaaaaa!!

Khadija Ktg

Posted at 6:32 PM on April 13, 2012

Dan Scott is truely a misery ! Cruel in the biginning , slightly chaned to being good and finally too damn good to take up for his much elated son. I really sympathise with him and thik he deserves forgiveness .

Esther

Posted at 5:40 PM on April 10, 2012

I will miss Dan. I was happy when had a relationship w Jamie then it was taken away after all he did! Now Nathan forgives him when hes dying! I think it was all cuz of Lucas that he wouldnt forgive him earlier. Dan made a major mistake, but he showed over and over he was sorry. Keith would have wanted everyone to forgive him after seeing his change. I admit I disliked the old Dan, but he changed!
I missed the show being more about him and his sons. I didnt much care about all these newbies!

dana

Posted at 6:18 PM on March 24, 2012

best episode since season 6…a connection back to the old OTH before chase, clay and quinn and all the cheesiness! HYSTERICAL crying…so happy to see Keith again…powerful & emotional episode…wish lucas and peyton would return for the finale

Cindy

Posted at 4:52 PM on March 24, 2012

Dan Scott is One Tree Hill. This has been the best episode ever. I have watched it four times so far! Cried cried and cried even more! So happy Nathan forgave Dan. That’s all Dan ever wanted. Even better that Keith was waiting for his little brother. Perfect touch. Reunited brothers. Here come the tears again. Kudos to whoever wrote this episode. It will be remembered forever!! All good things must end and so glad I got to be a part of this show. See ya soon Danny Boy in another show hopefully!!!!!!!!

Annie

Posted at 10:18 AM on March 23, 2012

Best episode yet. I love Dan Scott and I hated to see him die. It was great to see Keith at the end. I blame their Father for the problems Dan and Keith had. Although Lucas could not forgive Dan, it would have been great to see him, Peyton and the baby, since we are down to two episodes. Not really interested in Clay, Quinn and Logan. This show was about two brothers and their father and during some of the seasons they got away from this and at one point was introducing to many new faces. Last night we saw the original premise. I hope we see some closure for the rest of the core characters. This has been a great show, but I feel it has run its course.

charlotte

Posted at 12:24 AM on March 23, 2012

From the moments one tree hill started on the screen tears came to my eyes. At first it was because I know it was eppy 11 and there r only 2 new eppys left after this. Then julian nathan and dan dying in the bak seat came on the screen and the tears flowed more heavily as I realized that this time there was no saving dan scott. The pure genius of this eppy was that it was pure oth style. Everyone gathering around dan to say there goodbyes. His conversation with deb really stuck with me. After everything they did to each other dan saying he was sorry was pure redeption for me. Of course what sealed it was after he died and saw keith. There wasn’t anything about his send off that I would change. I was so happy to see craig bak before the end. The flashbacks were the perfect touch. The last conversation with nathan was perfect. Nothing… well done to mark… brooke I felt terrible for. All the poor girl wanted was a relationship with her father. I can’t wait for next week… I kno I am going to be crying in the begginning again… I just wonder how will the reason for my tears change next week. Also the idea julian had to make ravens a tv show made me smile from ear to ear. Awsome salute to our beloved oth.. 2 eppys left everyone:(

Taryn

Posted at 9:52 PM on March 22, 2012

This has been the best season since Lucas and Peyton left. Seasons 7 and 8 were pure garbage. Clay and Quinn are the worst characters and their story lines are boring to put it mildly. I think the producers tried to make her eye candy because she is constantly shown in a bikini or acting like a dog in heat (whenever Clay is around). They should have made Chris Keller and Dan regulars starting in season 7. With that being said, I wish that Dan had survived the gunshot which would have allowed he and Nathan to finally begin a good father-son.

grandpadan:)

Posted at 5:16 PM on March 22, 2012

I started crying at when they were in the car, and i m not done yet… i have been hoping till the end that he’d survive! i am so sorry for jamie, and nathan, he’s going to feel guilty for ever!!
Besides, I think that the only bad thing he had dan was shooting keith (and its really bad though) but I didnt want him to die, i dont think he deserved it, after that he made lots of good things saving jamie , helping nathan with renè and saving his life! he’s always regret shooting his rbother, and don’t forget he did that because he though keith tried to kill him!! its not a good reason but its understandable at least…
poor dan!! it was such an amazing episodes, i dont know if i had ever cried for so long during a tv show before!!! :/

RD

Posted at 5:10 PM on March 22, 2012

This season has been amazing. Dan Scott was the most memorable character in the entire show. He often carried it. His undying committment to get Nathan back with all the pressure on his soldiers and the execution was awesome.

I wish Chris Keller was in this episode somewhere.

Lucy

Posted at 1:30 PM on March 22, 2012

Such an amazing episode!! I loved to hate Dan Scott and that episode was a great goodbye episode for him!
I actually think they got it right as far as Lucas went. I never thought he’s forgive Dan for killing in Keith and I’m actually happy he didn’t.But think it was right Nathan forgave him – for him it was not understanding how Dan could kill his brother more than anything and Dan did everything he could for Nathan. So they got it right!!
Did not expect Keith – best surprise of the season!!! Amazing end to Dan Scott – got to love to hate him! 2 more eps – can’t wait!!

DeMarcus Flowers

Posted at 12:45 PM on March 22, 2012

I love it. I blame Dan and Keith’s father for the way Dan turned out. Remeber in season 1 when Dan’s parents came to town, Dan and Keith’s dad was such a dick. It’s no wonder Dan looked at life like one big competition. Cause his Dad would stress to him that if your not the best your a loser. That’s why he always was jealous of Keith. No matter how more athletic, popular or succesful he was Keith, Keith had the qualties that Dan truly wanted. He was never evil, he was just a flawed person he made a snowstorm of bad choices. I love this episode. Dan got the closure he deserved. RIP Dan Scott, and I forgive you for everything you’ve done.

Alex Dunphey

Posted at 11:19 AM on March 22, 2012

I live One Tree Hill. I was so happy when Nathan came home. I love Nathan.

Christy K.

Posted at 10:58 AM on March 22, 2012

I loved it! Perfect ending for Dan. Loved that Keith came and took him home. Cried thru most of it.

Rachel

Posted at 10:54 AM on March 22, 2012

This is by far the best episode this season. I have always had a spot for Dan. I know he is evil but the actor always drew me in. I loved Nathan’s forgiveness, understood why Lucas could not. I literally started screaming when I saw my beautiful Keith. The show at its heart is about brotherly love.

I could not careless about Quinn, Logan and Clay.

sophie friedman

Posted at 9:44 AM on March 22, 2012

I can’t even begin to write in words what this show means to me. It wad heart breaking so watch last night to the point where I felt like every heart string I have was being pulled. There where moments I couldn’t even see I was so hysterical. My point being this show is so much more than many will understand. It has depth and it has meaning. It makes me a better person everytime I watch it. Its poetic and inspirational. Its gotten me through the moments I didn’t think I could get through. Last nights episode to a real oth fan won’t very easily forgotten. I can’t describe how beautiful it was.

Cee

Posted at 1:07 PM on March 22, 2012

Thank you for putting into word EXACTLY what I feel.
OTH is in my heart.

Michelle

Posted at 6:33 AM on March 22, 2012

I think it was great. I cried during most of the episode which is a good thing! I thought it was the perfect ending for the character of Dsn. I absolutely loved it and unlike most series I really think that OTH was truly great every single season. Of course I have my favorite I especially think this last season has been really great. I’m sad it’s ending but I believe now is the right time to do it!

tam

Posted at 4:02 AM on March 22, 2012

garbage x 10…. i dont know how this show lasted so many seasons lol

Angel

Posted at 4:12 AM on April 3, 2012

@Tam so why u watching it then stupid. and y you reading up about it

ann

Posted at 2:23 AM on March 22, 2012

Age and wealth ain’t nothing but a number for these loved-up A-Listers. My BF and I both think so! He
is almost 10 years older than I. We met via
~~–Agelessmeet .COM~~
a nice place for younger women and older men,
or older women and younger men, to interact with each other!
Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends :)

Julie

Posted at 9:54 PM on March 22, 2012

OMG I’m so happy Nathan came back home:) So good to see Deb and Haley,Jammie and Lidia.Thanks to Dan Scott Nathan’s home!! (Also Julian and Chris)This is really and emotional episode. I cried soo muchh!!I can’t believe Dan died!!A good ending for Dan Scott but he should COME BACK and I’m so glad Nathan forgive him!! Lucas should have came back with Peyton and the baby…The last thing I want to say is I’m gonna miss Dan Scott very much:(