'American Idol' Recap: Colton Dixon Has A Solid Performance And Should Win American Idol

Thu, March 22, 2012 2:41am EDT by 21 Comments
Colton Dixon

It was a pretty sketchy run of performances March 21 on ‘American Idol’! No one had their best performances while DeAndre Brackensick and Skylar Laine faltered, Colton Dixon pulled out all he could to shine the brightest! But after the Idol hopefuls took on the songs of Billy Joel is anyone really safe?

It was “Billy Joel” night on American Idol March 21, which meant 10 contestants that really had no clue who Billy Joel was picked songs from his legendary songbook. For most this was a car wreck – but for others they powered through it and may have just got one step closer to being the next American Idol.

DeAndre Brakensick: He sang, “Only The Good Die Young” and Randy Jackson said it best, “It didn’t show me anything special.” It was a great song choice delivered very weak. DeAndre has the look and sometimes has moments where he really delivers but he can’t get over the hump. I really don’t see that changing in the weeks to come, if he lasts that long and he should really be overjoyed if he makes it another week. Because he really sounded like Sideshow Bob singing rather than just looking like him. But would he be the worst?

Erika Van Pelt: Steven Tyler stretched it a bit when he said, “Put more character into it. Beautiful. Outstanding.” The vocal for New York State of Mind” was solid and she should last another week. But the Kris Jenner hairdo was hideous and almost reason alone to be in the bottom three. Let’s face it, she has a nice voice, sings well and has a few weeks left in her. But she is not winning American Idol. Enjoy it while it lasts folks!

Joshua Ledet: What a complete let down! Singing the iconic and beautiful “She’s Got A Way” should have been a complete home run. How can you possibly ruin that song? Easy, put church into it and take out all the emotion. This ruined the song for me, I have had to listen to Billy Joel’s version on repeat just to get the bad taste out of my mouth from Josh’s performance. He reached his peak last week and the only way for him to go is down. Jennifer Lopez wanted to talk bad about the performance by saying, “Billy Joel wrote his life in his song. I feel stupid to say anything negative.” Well she should have, because he turned a great song into something bad. Not bad enough to get voted off, but he isn’t winning American Idol either.

Skylar Laine: I get that she is the only country person on the show and the judges really want to save her but this performance was not good. “Shameless” is a great song to be turned into a country hit but Skylar failed to give it the justice it deserved. I feel like she should be in the bottom three but will be safe with her country fans for a few more weeks. But it was pitchy all over the place. There are so many awesome songs to pick of Billy Joel’s and she chose a song that wasn’t right for her and it should with a less than stellar performance. She is in trouble!

Elise Testone: A few weeks ago I pleaded with America to give her another chance. And she is getting better by the week. While singing “Vienna” she hit the notes splendidly. Steven Tyler said, “The melody was so fantastic. You were beautiful.” I will have to agree but I also think she is still missing something. I can’t pinpoint it. I don’t know if its her stage presense, song selection or something else but she is missing something. She has the voice but not the x-factor. Which eventually will mean she will not be the American Idol. But she should be safe this week.

Phillip Phillips: I get that he is one of the favorites. He is a nice guy that performs well and will have no problem making it far in the show. But singing “Moving Out” the same way he sings everything else needs to change. Do you really want to listen to an album that has the same sounding song track after track? He won’t have any problem this week moving on but if he doesn’t change something he really will be moving out!

Hollie Cavanagh: She sang “Honesty” and honestly speaking it was BAD! Steven Tyler mentioned, “Tonight you were a bit pitchy.” That was the nicest that it could have been put as the performance was all over the place. Hollie is really trying when it should come naturally and easy for her. She really needs to step back to move steps ahead. She’ll be fine, but do we always have to hear the power ballad?

Heejun Han: He sang “My Life”, and during this season of American Idol it is for sure his life on stage. Steven Tyler mentioned, “Are you happy that you took the piss out of that song. The music business will kick your ass.” which in other words means that he should get his act together. That performance was awful! Just horrid!

Jessica Sanchez: She took one of the worst Billy Joel songs ever and made it her own. She can sing, she is a front runner but I still believe she will not win American Idol. She has to start picking better songs and she has to start delivering home runs always. She can’t rest on her Whitney Houston performance for the whole competition. America will eventually smarten up and choose someone else. Just wait and see..

Colton Dixon: This should have been EPIC. This should have been the moment. The real star of the show is Colton Dixon and I was very eager to here his version of “Piano Man”. It was spectacular but not groundbreaking. I thought he actually held back a little bit. But what he gave was still the best performance of the night and is my current pick to become the next American Idol. It just makes sense.

If I had to guess, it looks like DeAndre or Skylar will be going home. Heejun was so bad I think that is what will actually save him for another week. Should be an interesting elimination night tomorrow? What are your thoughts HollywoodLifers?

Loading video...

Russ Weakland

More ‘American Idol’ News

1. Ryan Seacrest Being Replaced By Neil Patrick Harris On ‘American Idol’?
  2. Will Ryan Seacrest Be Fired From ‘American Idol?’
  3. Scotty McCreery Is Youngest Guy To Ever Debut At The Top Of The All-Genre Charts With His First Album!

online shopping in europe

Posted at 7:34 PM on April 4, 2012

Fantastic site. Lots of helpful information here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks in your sweat!

Akkuschrauber Makita

Posted at 4:01 AM on April 4, 2012

I do not even know the way I finished up right here, but I believed this submit used to be great. I don’t recognise who you’re but certainly you are going to a famous blogger in case you aren’t already. Cheers!

Lin

Posted at 6:59 AM on March 27, 2012

We all have our favorites but I just cannot understand why Russ believes Jessica will not win. Maybe he is just too biased for Colton.

Posted at 5:24 AM on March 24, 2012

WOW there are some great singers there and they also musn’t think the idos is the only place they can win on. There is MakeAStar where they can enter online and post their prerecorded video (this is great because you can show your best. Entry is free and I love watching and giving my votes to who I think should be winners – try it

AmericanIdolVotes

Posted at 8:22 PM on March 22, 2012

All I hear is screeching instead of singing and really it hurt my ears I had to mute the tube the rest of his performance.

BJ

Posted at 8:46 PM on March 25, 2012

I’M WITH YOU !!!! looks like hollywood report has it in for our Jessica ! I hope the he** she can prove him wrong !!!!

gbtw

Posted at 12:54 PM on March 22, 2012

i have some differences of opinion, but don’t think you are far off. i haven’t written jessica or joshua off yet, and i don’t see colton winning this by a long shot. those skinny little legs and the white trash mullet aren’t going to win over the majority of voters. i’m not sure how i feel about the jesus-speak from him. last night was the first time i actually heard it, and i always feel a little uneasy at the idea that people think god is in them over others- or that somehow, they are better at channeling god than others. i dunno. maybe it’s my own lack of religion, but it always seems to narcissistic to me- and didn’t god create us all equally? in any case, i actually didn’t get what you got out of steven’s comments about heejun- wish i hadn’t deleted it so i could go back and watch. i thought he said you SANG the piss out of that song (not took the piss out of that song)… and i thought he was just referring to heejun’s sensitivity to criticism with the other comment about the music industry kicking his butt. i don’t know… maybe he said it the way you quoted it though. would make sense, cuz he did seem a little insulted by heejun’s slapstick. i enjoyed it, but also agreed that heejun’s gotta show a little bit more to go any further in the competition. if not, he’s got two more weeks left in him, tops. well, maybe three- which brings me to my next point. no matter how well elise and erika sing (btw, i liked the haircut- hated the ratty extensiony reddish stuff she had before), they can’t wing. i feel sad about that, but they just can’t. they look like old dogs next to the young girls- and i just don’t think they can overcome that. the best erika looked was last week when she had the sort of “Heart” thing going on with the leather pants and flowy top… but this week, she had something that gave her an old lady frumpy body. kinda the same with elise. their looks are going to hold them back. not just b/c they look older, but because they don’t have anything fresh or cutting edge about them. they both looked hunched over and doudy… :( too bad, b/c they SING fabulously! holly’s look btw is still way too old for her… WAY. maybe she’s just sticking with the celine thing, which she can handle in my opinion… she’s phenomenal and i didn’t HATE her rendition. i think even bad, she’s good.

Someone

Posted at 12:52 PM on March 22, 2012

Colton is just nothing special. I would rather listen to sung-bong choi any day of the week over Colton.

gbtw

Posted at 1:15 PM on March 22, 2012

he’s special compared to us, i’m sure- but compared to his competitors, i agree. he should be in the business, but i don’t really see him as a huge star in a carrie underwood, or even kelly clarkson way. he won’t win. he’s going to be sadly disappointed when he gets sent packing b/c after the daughtry (sp.?) dinner and the judge’s comments, he’s never going to see it coming.

Someone

Posted at 10:56 AM on March 22, 2012

I think Colton over sang it a little and starts singing from his throat, which i guess is part of his singing style or just simply a bad habit.

pnoy

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 22, 2012

At least I know Who’s you’re FAVORITE!

But i still can’t understand you’re dislike for Jessica
the person is simply humble and does what she’s told by mentors.

gbtw

Posted at 12:58 PM on March 22, 2012

i’m not sure how humble she is- but i agree. she’s better than russ’ comments. his comments are more appropriate for holly who is likely the next pia- meaning, she’ll be cut soon and everyone will be shocked, tho the boredom factor should make it not shocking. jessica- she has enough attitude and personality in her singing to go further. i still think she can come out with more to wow us… i think she’s going to do that. not that she isn’t already a stellar singer. i thought she did a great job with that song, and i ‘believed’ her.

pinoy

Posted at 10:24 PM on March 22, 2012

not even an elimination from the American IDOL can stop that now, if that is what russ really want to happen..

Kew1224

Posted at 8:52 AM on March 22, 2012

Why do they make these kids sing these old folk songs they have never heard of? Then they turn around and blame them if they don’t sing the way they think should. Who in the hell born in the late nineties know anything about billy Joel? Then there are to many people giving out advice. How do they know who to listen to? P Ditty is a rapper who does not sing. He talks fast with music behind him.

whiteguy

Posted at 7:52 AM on March 22, 2012

your endorsement of colton is like a kiss of death. hahah. your own survey result says it all!!

pny

Posted at 10:02 AM on March 22, 2012

Hahahahaha I see it now hehehe. but we never know that is not the american idol survey

someone

Posted at 11:12 AM on March 22, 2012

I think Colton should have not entered into American Idol if he wants to be a Christian artist. He just turns me off from his whole ‘vibe”. I think the accolades the judges give him are going straight to his head, like he can take liberties and blow his mouth off about how he follows his “reborn” brianwashed religious crap.

LeighAnnHendrix

Posted at 11:48 AM on March 22, 2012

I commend him for not changing his ways and sticking to who he is in this competition instead of letting them mold him into what they want him to be. He’s a Christian and proud of his religion. If you don’t like him, don’t vote for him but there will be plenty of people to make up for your vote. He’s a star– Plain and simple– but he’s not letting his stardom change him or his beliefs. Besides the fact that he wants to be a Christian musician, he has done well each week and has certainly made every performance his own…which is why he’s still there and why he’s a favorite.

Victor O.

Posted at 4:50 AM on March 22, 2012

What do I think of Colton Dixon’s performance of Piano Man?

1) He didn’t sing the fully song.

2) He didn’t know the exact lyrics of the part he did sing.

3) He completely butchered one of the best songs ever recorded.

His performance was an utter insult to Billy Joel.

I sing the song much better in a karaoke bar when I am blind drunk.

Evan

Posted at 8:38 AM on March 22, 2012

Oh please. I don’t even like skunkhair and I’m rolling my eyes at you.

To the original author, “he held back”? It’s not meant to be some power rock song. If anything, I felt that they tried to create too much of a “moment” with the build-up in the end. It’s a sad song– it doesn’t need to go out-of-control.

Dan

Posted at 8:49 AM on March 22, 2012

Ever hear the one about the man who went to a restaurant and thought that the food was terrible and the portions too small?

He is you.