'The Voice': Erin Martin & The Shields Brothers' Performance Was Epic Weird

Tue, March 20, 2012 8:59am EDT by 10 Comments
The Voice: Erin Martin And The Shields Brothers Battle Round

I felt like I was watching performance art at some grungy underground arts studio in New York and trying my darndest to like it because it was so daggum different. Even though Erin survived this round, I think her soft eccentric voice might ultimately get buried by the belters in the competition.

What the what what?! Last night’s Voice theatrics from model Erin Martin and Rory and Tristan Shields gave me the biggest brain fart that I felt compelled to down a bottle of Beano and open a freakin’ window to clear my head.

Erin and The Shields Bros did their own space alien rendition of Tina Turner‘s “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” and although judge Christina Aguilera totally dug it (probably because she was wearing a spaceship on her head), Adam Levine summed up their battle round the best.

“That was so weird! That was so weird! That was so weird!” he screamed like Rain Man.

Between Erin’s choice of rahrring! like a mountain lion intermittently in the song and The Shields Brothers’ sounding like they were both straining while sitting on the crapper in the middle of a summer’s afternoon with no air conditioning — the song’s schizophrenia and change of keys reflected what was going on in my head: “I likey! No, I hatey! No, I likey! No, I hatey!”

Ultimately, I decided it was just too bizarre for my taste. Thanks to Erin’s eccentric performance, though, Cee Lo Green felt he could work with her and gave her the win. I get that totally — her voice has an incredibly interesting mix of Norah Jones, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Bjork — but I also get that Miss Thang reminded me way too much of Grace Jones‘s Strangé character in Boomerang.

What did you think of Erin and TSB’s performance? Loved it or hated it?

STRONG TEXT HERE

1. ‘The Voice’: Juliet Simms Blasts Competition As Most Unique Artist With All The Bells & Whistles
  2. Christina Aguilera Nearly Spills Out Of Her Top On ‘The Voice’
  3. ‘The Voice’ Battle Round Two: Jamar Rogers Defeats Best Friend Jamie Lono

Jay

Posted at 1:23 AM on March 29, 2012

Agreed – Erin’s voice is a good backup kind of quirky voice. She seriously just won this competition because she wore a hooker outfit.

debbie

Posted at 11:18 PM on March 26, 2012

Erin makes me want to shove an ice pick in my ear!!!

bobby

Posted at 8:11 PM on March 24, 2012

although i do like the shields brothers, i don’t think this song did them justice. and I do believe that erin has amazing vocals. however, the manner and style in which she sings is horrible. and i don’t think she should have won. i also agree that she tries so hard to be different that it is distracting and unattractive. i mean, if she enunciated her words in the way that she sings them, would people find that attractive? i dont think so. and i do agree that her arrogance makes her unattractive as well.

Gabriella

Posted at 10:50 PM on March 20, 2012

“Uncomfortable” was right. That was horrid. The brothers weren’t great, but it was something you can actually listen to.

Erin sounds like nails scraping a chalkboard. I get she has a unique voice, but unique isn’t always good. It sounds like a forced uniqueness. I agree, she seems self absorbed and she got uglier as the competition went on.

tia

Posted at 2:05 PM on March 20, 2012

Erin was so bad its hard to even understand what she is saying. Cee Lo made a bad pick. Someone needs to tell her she can’t sing.

ann

Posted at 9:59 AM on March 20, 2012

Well…Age and wealth ain’t nothing but a number for
these loved-up A-Listers. My BF and I both think so! He is
almost 10 years older than I.We met via
~~–Agelessmeet .COM~~,a nice place for younger women and oldermen, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other!
Maybe you want to check it out or tell your friends:)

magdalana

Posted at 9:30 AM on March 20, 2012

OMG!!! I was sooooo embarrased for all three of them… The guys at least could sing, but tried to hard to be a big time rock band (which they are NOT) and looked like Wayne’s World gone wrong…Erin is just conceited and the more she talked and sang, the uglier she got…She can’t sing at all and will get her A$$ handed to her on the next round…Ceeloo they were all bad, but you picked the wrong winner… both of them were are going to get knocked out, but the better of both were the rockers…Erin was HORRRRIBLE!

Mazaniac

Posted at 9:10 PM on March 20, 2012

Aaaaaamen! She was awful and I sat there in total and absolute disbelief that she moved on. A cat getting strangled would sound better than she did.

jason

Posted at 1:57 AM on March 21, 2012

Shields brothers are a big time rock band in the making. They’ve been the same sound since they started before the voice. You should hear them, they are far superior than that song gave them credit for.

Vanderhook

Posted at 2:41 PM on March 26, 2012

This performance was so bad, it was awesome.

I immediately showed this to both of my roommates and a friend of mine and all three of them died laughing. Truth be told, we’re still wrapping our heads around it. Erin was so strange, and then the Sheilds Brothers come in with some straight up rock and roll.. its comedy gold!

From a serious musical standpoint, this was a slap in the face. Yuck. Erin sounded AWFUL and wayyyy too bizarre. The Sheilds Brothers are a bunch of lame posers — Wayne’s World gone wrong indeed. However, the Sheilds Bros. were superior in this performance.. but going forward Ceelo made the right choice. You have to go with the one that has more talent and potential, and thats Erin. Her audition (Hey there Delilah) wasn’t bad, while the Sheilds Bros are just stale dorks. It’s not like Erin is going much farther than this round though.