Two-Year-Old Declared Brain Dead After Aunt's Abuse Makes Astonishing Recovery

Mon, March 19, 2012 6:15pm EST by 12 Comments
Child Abuse

A little girl who was left bound in duct tape in a cold shower until she lost consciousness has made an amazing recovery!

Although 2-year-old Alexis Salaz was pronounced brain dead in the hospital after her 50-year-old aunt Mary Horsley punished her for ‘moving and crying,’ she is now recovered and surmounted both her mental and physical disabilities, the Daily Mail reports. Her aunt faces between 20 to 48 years in prison for the horrific abuse.

The Colorado Springs woman would often put tape over her niece’s eyes and put her in the shower for any small misbehavior. “If she moved, she was dunked,” Deputy District Attorney Debbie Pearson told the court. “If she cried, she was dunked. Alexis never had a break. It was constant, constant torture.”

The girl’s 19-year-old mother, Samantha Salaz, is also pleading guilty to child abuse and received a 24-year sentence.

The girl’s father, Joseph Saunders, was unaware he was the girl’s dad until the trial because Samantha had lied to him.

“Within months of living with my wife, our kids and I, she had started regaining some physical activity, and its seemed as if her brain started ‘turning on.’ She is a true miracle,” the father says.

More crime:

1. Mom Kills Her Three Young Daughters & Self In Roadside Shooting
  2. Runaway Toddler Found Wandering Brooklyn Street Wearing Only A Diaper
  3. American Woman Abandons Adopted 1-Year-Old Twins On Russian Street

Anita

Posted at 7:09 AM on May 8, 2012

Beautiful little girl.Hope the mongrels who did this get more than the prison cell but get the death penalty too.SICK MONGRELS!!!!!!!!!!

emm

Posted at 10:43 AM on May 7, 2012

I can’t believe people can do things like this to anyone, especially children! I’m an aunt myself, and I could never,ever hurt my baby nephew (I probably won’t even be able to yell at him ever…he’s just too cute!) this woman deserves LIFE IN PRISON. actually,anyone who hurts or abuses a child should be given life in prison. Society doesn’t want these people, let them rot in jail!

omg

Posted at 4:05 PM on April 4, 2012

who would do that ? all children and babies move and cry i mean i move and cry but no one punishes me wht a mean aunty !!!! i can’t believe it

Kate

Posted at 10:08 AM on March 30, 2012

You harm a child, your sentence shouldn’t be light! I don’t understand how people can do these things & have no heart.

Noriko

Posted at 9:33 AM on March 23, 2012

Unbelievable! Thank God for the father and his family! I can’t believe the woman is only receiving 20-48 yrs! She deserves life.. Such sickness in people..

tiki

Posted at 6:37 PM on March 20, 2012

oooooo this makes me vibrate with anger. what kind of monsters could do that to an Innocent child for moving and crying!?! I swear I wish i could do the same damn thing only worse! something more terrifying for them! poor beautiful little girl… at least her father is taking care of her now <3 i hope she recovers and has a full and wonderful life with people who love her!

What

Posted at 5:00 PM on March 20, 2012

WhaT is wrong with people these days. I think that people that abuse baby’s and kids should have the same thing done to them like they did to the kids. My opioid is that this mother should get her tubes tied so she will never in danger a child again. I hope the father get full crusty and won’t let her mother or and one else that will put her through what she has been through. God be with this baby girl and let her recorvy and have a wonderful life with her father

Denise

Posted at 12:28 AM on March 29, 2012

Lord hear our prayer. As we pray for this precious little angel an her family in her healing process… In the name of the lord…amen

Tina

Posted at 10:06 AM on March 20, 2012

Why only 20 to 48 years?!!! Theyshould get life in prison!!!!!

Victoria

Posted at 8:26 AM on March 20, 2012

I hope they rot in hell like the piece of shi* they are. But then again the torture of living with what they did in prison is probably worse. Hope that little girl grows up with a wonderful life. Xx

Whitney

Posted at 7:52 PM on March 19, 2012

just read the aunt was only charged with child abuse not attempted murder so and angry

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted at 1:47 AM on March 20, 2012

She was able to regain those abilities because she was so young and thus her brain is more plastic than an older individuals would be. Thank God, I hope she can make a full recovery.