'Pretty Little Liars' Season Finale Recap: 'A' Is Finally Revealed

Mon, March 19, 2012 11:54pm EDT by 193 Comments

Did you guess ‘A’ right? (Warning: Stop reading now if you don’t want to be completely spoiled!)

Two seasons, 47 episodes, and countless exaggerated gasps have all led to the March 19 finale of Pretty Little Liars when “A” was finally — and I can’t stress the word finally enough — revealed! Drumroll please…

“A” is Mona (Janel Parrish)!

That’s right, kids. All this time, “A” has been exactly who “A” was in the books — which was a little disappointing, to be honest. Mona seemed like the most obvious suspect, and I was hoping for a bigger twist. After a heated confrontation with the girls, Mona was admitted to an insane asylum, where Dr. Sullivan (yup, she’s alive) explained that Mona has a split personality disorder. Coupled with her extreme intelligence, she was basically driven insane — and evil, apparently.

She was, however, visited by someone during the ending credits of the episode, leading me to believe she was — as most people suspected — merely one “A” of many. So the mystery continues.

And remember when creator Marlene King told me that three of the show’s major couples would have a “defining moment” during the finale? She wasn’t kidding!

Aria and Ezra shared their first dance at the masquerade party, which means they’re officially public. And in case you couldn’t figure that out on your own, Ezra (Ian Harding) actually informed Aria (Lucy Hale) that “this is our first dance,” which was accompanied by an #EzriaGoesPublic hash tag in the corner of the screen. For a show that constantly makes us think, I’m glad they occasionally give our brains a rest.

A similarly epic moment came courtesy of Toby (Keegan Allen), who revealed that he’d been merely pretending not to love Spencer (Troian Bellisario) this whole time. An intense kiss/embrace/twirl ensued, and all seemed well with the world. Until…

The girls arrived at Emily’s (Shay Mitchell) house after the “A” fiasco, only to discover that Maya (Bianca Lawson) is dead! It was a tragic end to an already tragic season, and the look on Emily’s face was nothing short of heartbreaking.

Color me shocked.

What did you think of the jaw-dropping season finale? Were you shocked to find out who “A” really is? Are you devastated over Maya’s death? And who do you think was visiting Mona in the insane asylum? We’ve got a few months left until new episodes return, so hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars updates

Jovita

Posted at 8:54 AM on May 22, 2012

Sorry, Wren is in love with Spencer not Melissa. And Wren and Melissa are close enough to hurt Spencer. Ali is also A. Mona was visited by Melissa or Ali, but I think mostly its Melissa. the reason Mona became the popular girl was with the help of Ali. So Ali cannot be dead. Its Ali twin sister who is dead. And that night when the girls were at Emily’s house it was Ali spying on the girls when they were with Ali’s twin, not Toby.

taylor

Posted at 4:35 PM on June 5, 2012

Ali’s twin sister is Courtney. &Ali killed Courtney. &I think Ian had something to do with it. &Melissa found out some how, &she loved him so much that she tried to cover up for him.

Jovita

Posted at 8:37 AM on May 22, 2012

I think A is a group of people. Melissa is A because the break-ins mostly happens at Spenser’s house and it gets really easy for Melissa to do it. Also I think that Wren is A because when A writes the word Nosey, its spelled the British way, in the American way its spelled as Nosy. Also Wren had access to drug Emily. And it was Melissa and Wren who found Ian’s body. Also Mona could not have pushed Ian. When Ian saw A’s face at the church, he was surprised and said “you”, which means he knew that person. And only Wren could push Ian hard enough to drop him down. And then take Ian’s body down and hide it. A girl wouldn’t be capable to do this on her own. I think Ali is alive and her twin sister was killed. Ali is also A. Mona had to pretend to be A, because A has something on Mona also Mona is on the A-team. I think Jenna had to frame Garret cause A has something on Jenna. Jenna might be able to see. I think each of the girls have A person following them. How can A be everywhere? A needs accomplices to carry out its grand plan to hurt he girls. Like using Lucas and Jenna to make the girls think that they are A when the real A is hiding. And A really wants to hurt Spencer more than any of the other girls. Melissa does not like Spencer for taking Ian and Wren away from her. Wren on the other hand is in love with Melissa.These two their main target is Spencer and A mostly targets Spencer. A believes in keeping your friends close but your enemies closer. So Wren and Melissa has to be A.

natasha

Posted at 2:23 PM on May 21, 2012

It is stil not enuf 4 me!I wane no more lol,just hve 2 w8 I guess,I just can’t believe A is mona,seriously it wish it was sum1 else thts so simple!

tolu

Posted at 8:44 PM on May 19, 2012

Maya dint have 2 die..That’s not cool

Megan Hayward

Posted at 11:46 AM on May 3, 2012

Omg I love the tv series and that is such a good ending but there were so many people involved on allies death u had to keep a list of who u thought was which is hard but I love it

gloria

Posted at 8:38 PM on April 23, 2012

jenna could be a part of a’s team b/c it was a set up just to blame officer gerret 4 allisons murder ezera might go to jail in the next season if you have read the books cant wait 4 season 3 XD

brain

Posted at 9:26 AM on April 21, 2012

Well A is certainly a group. And Mona Jenna Lucas and that swan girl are a part of it. Alison might have a twin yes. And I have this crazy theory it goes like this.. I bet Alison had seen A and just like Mona did to Spencer, that A who was after Alison must have offered her to be a part of the A team. And Alison must have took the offer instead of being killed and I think that dead body in the backyard was Ali’s twins body. So why haven’t Alison’s parents ever mentioned a twin? It might be a family secret cuz’ there are certainly some..like Jason being Spencer’s step-brother. This might just be another thing that the DiLaurentis family wanted hidden.

Alyssa

Posted at 8:54 AM on April 21, 2012

Ok so your theory is not so true!!! If you didn’t notice the dress that Mona was wearing to the party was not the black swan. But remember that when spencer And Mona went into a’s secret room thingy at the hotel they say that the dress diagram was for the black swan. And another thing don’t you remember the girl that followed Aria. Aria did not notice bc it was right before she saw Ezra.. But if you don’t remember seeing the face I can tell you just who it was and wat type of dress she was wearing.. It was VIVIAN!!!! If you don’t no who that is its one of Allison s little disguise she used in this small little town.. She used a black wig and was never seen by any of the liars excPt for Hannah in a spa.. Vivian’s face was the face wearing the black swan dress and is A.. You know for sure she’s gonna follow the girls they have her phone duhhh and now on to Jenna another prime suspect wat about her she can see again and she clearly isn’t A because A tried to kill her Ina house fire… Also remember that ally does have a twin

spirit

Posted at 7:58 AM on April 12, 2012

Omg…no way they cant kill Maya! emily and Maya are the best couple on the show. if Maya is realy dead im not watching the show ever again…

-A

Posted at 6:13 PM on April 10, 2012

alison does have a twin watch the halloween ep. again when jason enters ali’s room alison is sittin on the bed and behind her is a picture on the wall with two girls that look exactly like ali (twins) and jason in the middle in an interview Sasha who plays ali tells us to pause and look at ali’s room and the pictures and remeber because this will be brought in to the next season. So whos thinkin that alis twin may exist after all ?

Tara

Posted at 6:44 PM on March 31, 2012

Mona is A because you kill their friends you kill jenna at her house?

maureen kiyimba

Posted at 5:40 PM on April 12, 2012

not certain

Emaya Forever

Posted at 3:30 AM on March 27, 2012

OMG MAYA I CAN’T BELIEVE SHE DIED SO HEARTBRAKING TO C EMILYS FACE!

lea

Posted at 8:00 PM on March 25, 2012

i think Ali is still alive..

Lauren

Posted at 9:20 PM on March 28, 2012

I read Pretty little liars and unbeliveable, and this excact stuff hanppened, wow lol. And yeah, i know. I can’t blive mona died, and that it was her. . like omg. And spence doesn’t deserve the guilt, since she acidentally pushed her down. I think it was Ali. Like a ghost or something.

Jessi

Posted at 6:36 PM on March 30, 2012

mona didnt die…. she almost did. she was sent to an insane asylum bro

Bri

Posted at 2:21 PM on March 24, 2012

I was shocked when Mona was A and Maya died! Also that person in the red..who visited Mona in the hospital? Well do u remember when Mona told that story to Spencer about how Mona went to that resort and Allison was spying on someone? Well did you notice at the end that person was wearing red? And Allison when Mona went to visit Allison at the resort se was wearing red ..
I can’t wait til next season comes!!!!!!!

Dairrean

Posted at 11:07 PM on March 22, 2012

I can’t believe that a was still alive I wounduer if the girl who was a killed her

lexi

Posted at 3:43 PM on March 22, 2012

i guessed everyone excepted mona, i was completely shocked, and i can’t wait till next season, but i think it was sad that maya is dead but i can’t wait to see what happens

M&Mz

Posted at 3:34 PM on March 21, 2012

i was shocked about mona i obviously didnt read the book ,
and maya`s death Oh my god it was so tragic , but i thought that she will be dead just like a lot of people but i think who visited mona in the end was ali as (vivian darkbloom)or jenna , but i kinda believe that the person was alison because i don`t think that she is did , because she came to hanna in the hospital and after hanna wake up she found the lip glass on the plastic cup and when she came to emily when she was in the barn and and when she came to spencer and when spencer wake up she found the door is open .

me from dk

Posted at 8:03 AM on March 21, 2012

sad Maya is ded…
– I thin Ally is alive, and remember when Mona met Ally in that shop in brookhaven? Ally was looking for A – Mona, so the whole i’m a nerd wants to be popular thing mona had going on was fake. She gets allys number though.
In the car were Mona has Spencer she says you can join the a team – I think Ally joint the A team? And got Mona to play for her, so Ally wouldnt get hurt her self?? remember ally visiting hannah in the hospital, and spencer in the living room and emiliy in that barn thing, giving all the clues to them? i don’t know.

Sorry for my english i’m from denmark

BOOK CHANGES THINGS

Posted at 5:20 AM on March 21, 2012

I have read every PLL book and don’t really like Maya so her dying wasn’t heartbreaking for me. I also think that Aria and Ezra should just break up, Holden and Aria would be so much cuter. I’m convinced that the girl in Vivienne’s jacket at the end was Alison (or Courtney or Vivienne or whatver version of Ali) because Ali took something from Spencer’s living room.

Audrey

Posted at 3:20 PM on March 21, 2012

Who are you talking about when you say ”the girl in vivienne’s jacket at the end” ?

Sara

Posted at 12:55 AM on March 21, 2012

Omggg! I was completely shocked to find out that maya died! To see the look on emilys face was heartbreaking and i started crying!;( but…. I think that one of the -A members is one of the liars. I could be wrong but maybe. And… Did anyone notice that one girl in the black swan dress look exactly like hannas mom?! I did. Or melissa. Well goodbye

Jessi

Posted at 2:46 PM on March 21, 2012

yeah because Hanna’s mom would totally do that to Hanna. she wanted to know who A was! Plus, remember in the one episode when A stole her money and gave it back to Hanna in the bathroom of the cupcake place? Why would she want to expose herself like that? :P

nan

Posted at 11:59 PM on March 20, 2012

im not stunned by who “A” is. But my heart raced when i found out Maya was dead! but “A” did say , someone will end up in a body bag. No one thought it would be MAYA!!that is the part that shocked me the most !!!! o___o

christina

Posted at 11:56 PM on March 20, 2012

i think dr.sullivan is ezra’s mom beacuse she said to the girls that mona had threatened his son and besides she had his diploma in her office

sara

Posted at 7:58 AM on March 21, 2012

the only way dr sullivan had that diploma was because A put it there? remember. A sent a photo to Aria of Ezras desk, saying what is missing??

Sydney

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 20, 2012

Either Maya killed herself or melissa got to her first.

PLL:)

Posted at 8:23 PM on March 20, 2012

Look I know sooo many of u think Mona’s A and ur all disappointed cuz it follows the books. But obviously that’s WRONG b/c in the end the real A visited Mona in the asylum. Mona is only part of the A team with others who u thought was A. The actors,actreses,producers, etc were right IT’S NOT LIKE THE BOOKS!!! It was pretty obvious mona wasn’t the real A! :)

Jessi

Posted at 8:14 PM on March 20, 2012

There is something in me that thinks that Mona isn’t A. Remember in season 1 when Mona had that party basically in the woods and Hanna got run over by A’s car? Well, how could Mona have done that? Also, in A’s lair at that motel, the sketch of A’s supposed masquerade dress was feathery. Mona’s dress was not anything like that. But, there was a suspicious girl at the dance who had that dress, had a bun, and ran away from Aria, Spencer, and Hanna. To me, it sort of resembled Melissa, but who knows? Also, I believe that when Jenna went to that park to talk to somebody, it was Mona to maybe ask her to pretend to be A. I do think that it is a group effort but I also think that there is one person that is the biggest mastermind on being A. Lucas is probably one of the “A’s.” He was talking to the mysterious girl and Jenna at the dance and he is always acting creepy (especially towards Hanna.) Why wasn’t he at school for so long and suddenly in this episode he was there? But anyways, who else thinks that Toby is Dr. Sullivan’s son? There was some interesting things they said that made me believe that. Lastly, whoever came into the insane asylum at the end credits is probably the same person who wore the feather dress. AND, they wore the same looking red coat as Vivian Darkbloom had.

Sofie

Posted at 1:49 AM on March 21, 2012

I was also left with so many questions which i only love, thats what a show is about until the last season, i only hope its not “dropped” at some point because so many people feel let down. I thought Mona was A from early on but kept on going from person to person, and wasn’t at all bummed over the ending of 2. season, the cast didn’t lie, mona is not A and we don’t know why she’s in it, if it’s revenge for something as she claimed or A has something on mona that mona can’t loose (i think A is one mean manipulation person) and who says the person in the red jacket is A, you all think so now because of the ending with hannah and now it’s probably the same as the books or maybe the cast just wants you to believe that and its just some higher member of the A-team. I also got the feeling that there were more between dr. sullivan and toby and protecting her son and him having to lie to spencer to about loving her and stuff. I think the people who thought this season was long and left too many unanswered questions should watch 3. season cause it must be full of all the action we missed in this season with all the things they left hanging and the people we haven’t seen much of but seems to play a big part in this “game”..

Alyssa

Posted at 11:50 AM on March 21, 2012

Well, Mona isnt A. And do you mean A got hit with Hanna’s car? I agree, I believe it was Melissa.I think it was Melissa who went to the asylum. Remember, Mona said she had Spencer dad gun? I think Melissa took it, and gave it to Mona. Mona could of shot Spencer when she pulled the emergency break but she didnt. So she either lied about having the gun or Melissa told her not to hurt her little sister. What do you think?

Jessi

Posted at 2:36 PM on March 21, 2012

I think that Melissa could have actually took her dad’s gun because she is someone who has access into her own house obviously. It doesn’t really seem like Mona would know about Spencer’s dad having a gun.

Alyssa

Posted at 6:17 PM on March 21, 2012

Yes. I think Melissa is with A.

-a

Posted at 12:46 PM on May 6, 2012

I do agree with you that Melissa is part of the A team because in one episode she said i have been threatening so Spencer since she was alive when garret was there with her so i am thinking she was talking about the texts.I was surprised Mona was A because i didnt read the books and i crossed her out of my list because A started threatening her too but after seeing the finale of season 2 its kind of obvious.I think when Mona was in the hospital Vivian (Ali) visited her.The whole reason they did that was to make Spencer,Hanna,Ari,and Emily think that the whole A thing is over and they can finally sleep without being afraid with their windows open and their doors unlocked and then the A team will try to kill them.I kind of think that ali has a twin but im not sure about that.Well goodbye