'Pretty Little Liars' Season Finale Recap: 'A' Is Finally Revealed

Mon, March 19, 2012 11:54pm EDT by 193 Comments

Did you guess ‘A’ right? (Warning: Stop reading now if you don’t want to be completely spoiled!)

Two seasons, 47 episodes, and countless exaggerated gasps have all led to the March 19 finale of Pretty Little Liars when “A” was finally — and I can’t stress the word finally enough — revealed! Drumroll please…

“A” is Mona (Janel Parrish)!

That’s right, kids. All this time, “A” has been exactly who “A” was in the books — which was a little disappointing, to be honest. Mona seemed like the most obvious suspect, and I was hoping for a bigger twist. After a heated confrontation with the girls, Mona was admitted to an insane asylum, where Dr. Sullivan (yup, she’s alive) explained that Mona has a split personality disorder. Coupled with her extreme intelligence, she was basically driven insane — and evil, apparently.

She was, however, visited by someone during the ending credits of the episode, leading me to believe she was — as most people suspected — merely one “A” of many. So the mystery continues.

And remember when creator Marlene King told me that three of the show’s major couples would have a “defining moment” during the finale? She wasn’t kidding!

Aria and Ezra shared their first dance at the masquerade party, which means they’re officially public. And in case you couldn’t figure that out on your own, Ezra (Ian Harding) actually informed Aria (Lucy Hale) that “this is our first dance,” which was accompanied by an #EzriaGoesPublic hash tag in the corner of the screen. For a show that constantly makes us think, I’m glad they occasionally give our brains a rest.

A similarly epic moment came courtesy of Toby (Keegan Allen), who revealed that he’d been merely pretending not to love Spencer (Troian Bellisario) this whole time. An intense kiss/embrace/twirl ensued, and all seemed well with the world. Until…

The girls arrived at Emily’s (Shay Mitchell) house after the “A” fiasco, only to discover that Maya (Bianca Lawson) is dead! It was a tragic end to an already tragic season, and the look on Emily’s face was nothing short of heartbreaking.

Color me shocked.

What did you think of the jaw-dropping season finale? Were you shocked to find out who “A” really is? Are you devastated over Maya’s death? And who do you think was visiting Mona in the insane asylum? We’ve got a few months left until new episodes return, so hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars updates

PLL LOVE

Posted at 11:09 PM on August 24, 2013

I think its Allison because it lookd like it was red coat
whos actually Allison DiLaurentis.

MonaVanderwaalFanx3

Posted at 3:28 PM on August 17, 2013

Mona <3

MonaVanderwaalFanx3

Posted at 3:23 PM on August 17, 2013

I never read the books before, so the reveal of Mona being “A” was a shocker to me. I honestly never suspected her, to me she seemed so innocent, and I always thought “A” was either Jenna or a boy before I found out. Great reveal imo, but I think they could have made it different from the books.
At least there was Red Coat at the end, which got more interest going. And Maya’s dead.
Now it’s in Season 4, and we’re going to find out who Red Coat is in 2 weeks. I can’t wait, but I’ll be very disappointed if it’s Courtney DiLaurentis.

loveshaym

Posted at 5:02 AM on November 7, 2012

i dont think one of girls killed maya
they dont have reason

Pretty little liars

Posted at 3:12 PM on August 8, 2012

I know who the new A is it is Caleb!!!

Lovinprettylittleliars

Posted at 2:00 PM on November 6, 2012

Think again it’s Toby! :)

lovemaya

Posted at 8:53 AM on May 25, 2012

i think one of the other girls like emily.I honstly think that one of the other girls killed maya.

WHAT DO YOU THINK????

taylor

Posted at 4:31 PM on June 5, 2012

i don’t think that one of the other girls killed maya. why would they want to hurt and betray one of their best friends. they all liked maya. why would they want to kill her?

Grace

Posted at 3:05 PM on July 8, 2012

Lovinprettylittleliars

Posted at 2:01 PM on November 6, 2012

:'( her ex killed her

Lovinprettylittleliars

Posted at 2:01 PM on November 6, 2012

:'( her ex killed her!!

lovemaya

Posted at 8:50 AM on May 25, 2012

i love this show i think maya and emily are so cute together.i was so sad to see maya die.when i seen it i really started crying it should have been someone else that died.emily look like she was so hurt.i really hope maya’s not died.Emily really took it hard i would have too i hopeshe feels batter.

love you maya &emily!!