'Pretty Little Liars' Season Finale Scoop: Which Couple Will Suffer Most?

Sat, March 17, 2012 1:51pm EDT by 117 Comments

Creator Marlene King tells HollywoodLife.com to expect ‘defining moments’ for three of the show’s major couples!

We know the March 19 season finale of Pretty Little Liars will bring an end to the “A” mystery — but will it also bring an end to a fan-favorite couple? “We have a lot of big boyfriend moments,” creator Marlene King tells HollywoodLife.com. “At least three of the couples have defining moments that either solidify, or change, their relationships.”

OK, I’m down with the “solidify”ing part, but I’m not comfortable with “change” — especially when it comes to relationships in Rosewood. So which couple should we be lighting a candle for? All of them, apparently!

“We have taken ‘Emaya’ through the ringer this season,” Marlene admits of Emily (Shay Mitchell) and Maya’s (Bianca Lawson) on-again off-again status. And she confirms Maya “does have a presence in the episode,” so at least that tragic e-mail she sent Emily isn’t the last we’ll hear of her this season.

And even though they enjoyed an evening of sweet, statutory sex last week, Aria (Lucy Hale) and Ezra (Ian Harding) certainly aren’t off the hook. Marlene promises the show’s main couple will also have a huge moment. (A bun in the oven for Aria, perhaps? Come on, everybody knows you always get pregnant the first time you have sex. Always.)

Marlene also doesn’t put Spencer (Troian Bellisario) and Toby (Keegan Allen) in the clear, noting that “A” has been “a real bitch to them all season.” And, honestly, how often does “A” decide to stop being a bitch?

But instead of looking at the couples who are always in crisis, maybe we should be worried about the one that’s been trouble-free this season. I’m talking, of course, about Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Caleb (Tyler Blackburn), who Marlene openly admits “have gotten off a little easier this season.” Personally, I’ll be keeping a close eye on Mona (Janel Parrish) during the finale. I saw the way she kissed Caleb last week; she loved it.

Regardless of which couple suffers the most devastating blow, Marlene promises “a very chilling moment” that breaks her heart every time she watches it. “It’s so emotional and heart-wrenching. The actors in that scene did such an amazing job, and as soon as you see it, you’ll know what I’m talking about.”

As for whether or not that particular scene will lead us to mourn one of our favorite Rosewood couples, Marlene says “…maybe.”

OK, Im officially scared.

Besides the big ‘A’ reveal, what do YOU think will go down on the season finale? Head to the comments section and tell me which couple you’d be most devastated to see break up!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars scoop

Karissa

Posted at 5:32 PM on March 19, 2012

I kinda think ezria is the couple that suffers the most I love emaya

SArah

Posted at 4:53 PM on March 19, 2012

And Aria needs to date that Holen boy! Not Ezra.

Sarah

Posted at 4:55 PM on March 19, 2012

Hey genius. Alison killed her twin sister; Courtney was the one who was nice to them. Duh. -.- And you know Mona was A.

whatever

Posted at 6:00 PM on March 19, 2012

The show is not the same as the book so that might now happen and i would think they would change it so the people who read the book are surprised but yet again, maybe it will

Sarah

Posted at 4:52 PM on March 19, 2012

I WANT Emily & Maya yo break up. I want Spencer & Toby to get back together. I do NOT want Hannah & Caleb to break up. But I know they probably will. We all know Mona is A; Atleast the first A in the books. And in the books Mona gets texts from A, and 2 chapters later A is revealed and it’s Mona. Now Mona just got a texts and A will be revealed.

ShazzaRose

Posted at 4:44 PM on March 19, 2012

I’d heartbroken to see Hanna and Caleb split, they’re amazing together :(

Carley

Posted at 4:41 PM on March 19, 2012

I would hate to see Hanna and Caleb break up I love that couple and or Toby and Spencer. I think Melissa and Garret should break up.

Marta blanco

Posted at 4:55 PM on March 19, 2012

I would like to see Ezra and Aria end up happy, as well as Caleb and Hannah.

Shannon

Posted at 4:18 PM on March 19, 2012

If Ezra and Aria broke up I’d be beyond upset!

Paige

Posted at 5:55 PM on March 19, 2012

I definently agree!

Malea

Posted at 3:56 PM on March 19, 2012

I really hope its not Ezra and Aria! They are my favorite! <3

Bronsen

Posted at 3:42 PM on March 19, 2012

A= Betcha its Lucas and Mona, who is black mailing Jenna and Garret, into killing Ian. Think about it, why would A have incriminating evidence on there phone against themselves. My theory, Mona started it. She made a way to block the text messages with her computer savvyness then enlisted Lucas’s help. But Lucas took it out of control also blackmailing Jenna and Garret into helping him. Thats why they were so happy about page 5, but they didn’t know about the video. But Lucas and Mona got all there info about the girls from a diary left in Alison’s house that Maya found.

ddlovatofan

Posted at 3:29 PM on March 19, 2012

I’m so in love with Aria and Ezra, they’re so amazing together. And I don’t think that Ezra should go, I think their love can beat anything.Also, I love Caleb and Hanna, they’re cute too. I just love all PLL couples, and I would love Spencer and Wren to be together, he’s so nice to her, and I LIKE IT SO MUCH!

mona

Posted at 3:21 PM on March 19, 2012

Mona is A. So is Alisons twin sister

Pll

Posted at 3:30 PM on March 19, 2012

No the they’re not cause that’s who it was in the books and tue writers said A is not the same person as it was in the books.

Brayden

Posted at 3:14 PM on March 19, 2012

If Hanna and Caleb break up I am going to die ! And Ezra and Aria are such a cute couple also … It has to be one of them though , since they are the most important couples of course . (:

Ella

Posted at 3:22 PM on March 19, 2012

Omg it is so Ezra!!!!!

lily

Posted at 5:41 PM on March 19, 2012

it cannot be ezra cuz he wouldn’t put his relationship in danger and A’s handwriting and his handwriting r totally different

julia lopes

Posted at 2:52 PM on March 19, 2012

Nao vejo a hora de começar a segunda temporada!!como deve ficar o caso de alison sera que ela ta viva??

Ofir

Posted at 2:39 PM on March 19, 2012

At 1st i suspected jenna as A. An then i didnt. But the in the season 2 summer finale i suspected her as the killer, and after a cuple of eps i didnt anymore. Now im back to suspecting her as A bcuz at the end of ep 24 she cud c. And the 9 yr old kid who tells the future CLEARLY stated that the gurl with dark hair CUD C. its just seems random that they wud directly ask him is the gurl was blind. Therefore i either think A is jenna or melissa or Ali. The reason i think it might b ali is cuz almost every1 had a vision/dream/ reality of her. It ALL seems so real bcuz everything she said made sence. At the beggining of s01 i thot she was still alive, but after a while i realized she wasnt. And now i think tht she is alive. But i dont think she is A bcuz she liked the girls and i dont think she wud doo something like that to them. I thonk thatsomeone (possibly garret,melissa or jenna) forced her to “hide”and make everyone think she is dead. And A made her tell him/her everything abt the gurls. It wud make sence if jenna forced ali to do something harmful (pretend to b dead) bcuz jenna knew that ali blinded her and jenna is stronger. Its alsoo possible that garret fored ali to do so since he is a cop an he has power. And as for melissa, she was dating ian, an as we all know ali had a thing with ian and that made melissa hate ali.

Alexis

Posted at 2:38 PM on March 19, 2012

I really hope it’s not Hanna or spencer, hanna deserves a great guy from all her family crap, and caleb is just amazing. And spencer needs someone to keep her level headed through this whole thing. Don’t get me wrong I love Emily and aria and im glad they have love, but I just like Hanna and Spencer’s love better

Sarah

Posted at 2:30 PM on March 19, 2012

I LOVE Caleb and Hanna so much. Aria and Ezra have been through too much. I’m not a hater of them or anything. I love all the PPL couples!

Madeline

Posted at 2:14 PM on March 19, 2012

Not sure who A is -I’m fine with whoever it is as long as it’s not someone obvious or one of the liars. I want Ezria to stay together no matter what, and possibly Aria to get pregannt, that seems likely. Spoby will get back together, so they won’t be trouble, however, I suspect Wren or Spencer could be A. Haleb will stay together, in the end…Emaya BETTER break up. They have nothing in common, opposite personalities, and Maya is such a bitch to Emily,I hope she gets together with Paige.

hayleigh

Posted at 2:12 PM on March 19, 2012

I really hope it’s not Aria and Ezra.

stephanie

Posted at 2:12 PM on March 19, 2012

I would be devistated to see ezra and aria break up cause they have been throu sooo much her parents banning her from seeing him and then them wanting to ship her to boarding school! But I think “A” is gonna do something to hanna and caleb since they have had the easy route compaired to the rest

Becky

Posted at 2:09 PM on March 19, 2012

I love all the Pretty Little Liar couples, but they have all come and gone since the beginning. Unfortunately the couple I fear for is Ezra and Aria. They are already fighting sooo hard to keep the relationship going. Her dad trying to send him away, then her away and then the HUGE threat about telling the dean about her fathers affair. This couple is the one that I love the most, but also the one I believe will have the giant dramatic issue during tonight’s episode. I hope I am wrong though.

Anonie

Posted at 2:08 PM on March 19, 2012

Ok, all of you + Ashely the moron! A is non other than YOURSELF! just sit and watch the finale, assume you are A! Period!

Gina Smith

Posted at 2:06 PM on March 19, 2012

i want to know if Hannah’s mom and Aria’s mom find out who -A is first? but seriously i would be soooooo upset if someone obvious is -A, like Maya or Mona or Jenna. I tried to put clues together from the ending scenes but i don’t remember them well enough to put them together and i know it’s staring me in the face!! Ezra needs to go, the love affair was cute the first two seasons, not so much anymore.

bob

Posted at 2:03 PM on March 19, 2012

In the book its mins till the other a kills her and it ends up being alison twin

bob

Posted at 2:05 PM on March 19, 2012

Ment mona

Tia

Posted at 2:03 PM on March 19, 2012

That wasn’t Aria and Ezra’s first time though right? I thought their first time was when Aria showed up to his office and was like “it’s hot in here”…or whatever it was she said and then she pushed the chair in front of the door and took off her coat and Ezra was standing there dumbfounded.

Jade Vaillancourt

Posted at 2:03 PM on March 19, 2012

Aria and Ezra!

Amanda

Posted at 1:57 PM on March 19, 2012

Were Caleb and Hanna a trouble-free couple in this season? Only if you’re are meaning free of fights, because on my opinion, Caleb run an enourmous risk hacking A’s cell phone and Hanna suffered a lot because she knew she could lost her beloved one… Really, they are my favorite couple and I wish they’re not the ones that won’t have a happy ending…

Zoe

Posted at 2:44 PM on March 19, 2012

I really hope Hanna and Caleb are going to stay together. They are the most perfect couple ever, I hope that kiss with Mona didn’t mean anything to Caleb :S