'Gossip Girl' Can't End Next Season — Chair And Dair Fans Need To Come Together

Fri, March 16, 2012 6:49pm EST by 130 Comments

If ‘Gossip Girl’ producers shorten its final season, it will be a disservice to ALL shippers! Chair, Dair, Derena, HECK — even CHERENA fans — ‘Gossip Girl’ needs our support!

A new report has surfaced that Gossip Girl producers are going to cut short season 6 — its alleged final season — due to poor ratings. If this is true, Gossip Girl could potentially only have 10 to 15 episodes to go and then its life as a series is over. Just writing these words bring tears to my eyes. Gossip Girl is my favorite show; I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet!

It’s no secret these are some very troubling times for the CW show. It’s safe to say these the Dark Ages of Gossip Girl. Even though the show attracted 1.4 million viewers for its 100th episode Jan. 30, that still was a significant drop from the 3.4 million viewers that tuned in for the season 2 premiere in 2008. Coincidentally or not so coincidentally, this was the season that primarily focused on the relationship between Chuck (Ed Westwick) and Blair (Leighton Meester).

Now, before you Dair fans call me biased and attack me for being a Chair fan, the numbers show viewers favor Chair over Dair. And while this is difficult for me to propose, I think it needs to be done because if the final season of Gossip Girl is going to be shortened, it would be a disappointment to ALL fans. The series wouldn’t end how it was originally planned to end!

So no matter what ship you ship, we’ve all been treading the same water here and it’s time for us to come together for Gossip Girl — the show we love and enjoy to watch!

So this is my challenge to all fans! We need to keep watching the show. We can’t give up just yet! Gossip Girl fans, we can’t let the final season be shortened!

Vote and sound off in your comments below.

– Nicole Karlis

More Gossip Girl news:

1. ‘Gossip Girl’ Spoiler: Chuck & Blair Are ‘Never Over,’ Producers Reveal
  2. Nicole Says: Chuck Bass Go Find Blair Waldorf, YOUR Runaway Bride
  3. New ‘Gossip Girl’ Pics: Blair Waldorf Sleeps With Dan Humphrey In The Airport

Cergirl13

Posted at 4:01 PM on May 1, 2012

There is no doubt that the quality of the show has declined (especially for us Chair fans out there). But I think it deserves a full 6th season to end the series. It had a good run, but it’s time for it to end. The 6th season should show which couples will end up together, figure out all of the mysteries behind chucks life and of course, reveal who the real Gossip Girl is. That would make me happy, of they can wrap that up into a half season with 10-15 episodes than kudos to the new writers, but I think best case senerio it should have a full final season to unravel everything.

missk80

Posted at 4:12 PM on April 24, 2012

Gossip Girl is a great show! I’m so sick of watching reality TV stars try to make up drama and show off their lives. Give me some fantasy! I love all the drama on this show. I love the clothes, the shots of New York, the music. This is a quality show that obviously has an army of people working very hard on it. This show deserves to play itself out.

GG Ranter

Posted at 10:46 PM on April 17, 2012

I could pick and pull several flaws from this series. The first season was the best of the best, not like the best of television, but quite good. Then the show began to overly complicate the plot. Rufus and Lily? Killed the whole first season’s outsider finding love with an insider, something appearing to be impossible. Blair and Chuck ultimately played it self out. I’ll admit I hated to see them go at first, but after Chuck did what he did to Blair I could never see myself being okay with the two of them. I hated what they did with most of the guest stars and the new character plots they introduced: Vanessa, Charlie, and even Jenny as a main character. I liked the relationship between Blair and Dan. It was surprising, just like Chuck and Blair to me at first, but I saw a lot of chemistry between the two of them, even Chair fans must admit it was there. The most annoying part of the show to me was how they just went to college for a year and just some how ended up all back in the Upper Eastside. I mean true they’re rich, but still they just left college out of the blue. I saw a lot they could have done with the plot from there. When Louis came back I thought they created a triangle that just blew up the show. A “Royal Wedding” really? And like most people have said they took away from Blair’s character. Even Serena’s character struggled to a point where I do not see her coming back from. The only character I really began to see improving was Chuck. He really changed. I do really like Dan and Blair and when they kissed in season five I was really excited, but now they’ve ruined that too. Their relationship was such an epic buildup and then they overly complicated it and made several sacrifices at what cost. Honestly season five could be the last season I watch. I have to force myself to continue watching it now.

Jj maurice

Posted at 9:21 PM on April 14, 2012

Tinkerbella

Posted at 6:49 PM on April 14, 2012

The only people that still watch gossip girl is probably junior highschool kids and people with no life. Why anyone would continue watching and wasting their time on gg after season 4, is beyond me.

tyrelle

Posted at 3:56 AM on April 11, 2012

Gossip girl has become part of mylife I am such a big fan I have all the season uptil season 5 .. And I’m hoping that there ill be much more season. And not only season 6 but season 6.7.8.9 and 10 gossip girl is a amazing series and t.v will not be the same without it.. Please don’t kill gossip girl make it last 4 another 10 years.. I love all the actores even charlie.. Love blair and chuck I want them to get married and have children..

tyrelle

Posted at 3:47 AM on April 11, 2012

I love gossip girl with all my heart and I want there to not only be a season 6 but a season 7 8 9 and 10 like how many season were there of the series friends.. To all producers of gossip girl please make gossip g girl last .. And what will also make me happy as a fan is if there. Would be a gossip girl movie..

Christina

Posted at 2:04 AM on April 9, 2012

I really want to help out to save gossip girl because its my favorite show and everyday i watch it on TV or on the computer. i think all that actors are great at acting.i would love to see 6,7,8,9,10, and more.for the episodes for each season i would like to see a lot of episodes. it will make me feel really happy. i am also a really really huge fan of the show gossip girl. i think Nate & Serena, Blaire & Chuck should be couples because they make match each other and they love each other. if i don’t see the next season then i will be really sad.everyday i wake up i would tell myself that there would be an next season ans that i was going to watch it with my own eyes. please make the next season, i think all that fans would be really happy. =D

Crystal

Posted at 1:47 AM on April 9, 2012

The show is really really good and it would suck if it ends. The actors are really good. I like Nate and Serena together,Chuck and Blaire together because they make cute couples and very happy ones. I hate it when one of one of my favorite shows end and i know that that means i will never get to watch it again so i would love if you guys make more seasons like 7,8,9,10, and ever more. pleas pleas pleas continue to make more seasons of gossip girl. it wil make me so happy. =D

jay

Posted at 7:25 AM on April 5, 2012

the problems is not the actors but the writer/creator josh i mean look at his past work the OC which was great in its fist two seasons bt lost its plot as the show progressed and there is also the series Chuck which josh also is a creator did gud in its first two seasons but now it has become so painful to watch so i think josh should be in charge at the begining of the shows and as the shows progresses he should give it to sameone else

Kati

Posted at 11:29 AM on April 2, 2012

Before blair’s friendship with dan I was a chair fan all the way. The problem with chair is that chuck and blair bring out the worst in each other. They would end up destroying each other and no one can say they have a healthy relationship there is a reason why they keep on being together just to break up once all over again. Don’t get me wrong I love both characters I just feel that dan unlike chuck is good for blair.

tendai nyoni

Posted at 4:05 AM on April 5, 2012

thats true

n

Posted at 9:30 AM on March 25, 2012

Hollywoodlife = Chuckstian Weekly !!! All Dair fans stay clear of this site…Nicole is the most baised journalist ever with her secret chair agenda

Sara

Posted at 3:45 AM on March 25, 2012

Is this really happening!? I want a season 6,7,8,9, etc long live chuck and Blair. Really this whole thing with Dan the creeper/poser is pissing me off. Really? Dan? Ugh ! I think the show can turn it around. Figure it out writers!

tendainyoni

Posted at 4:09 AM on April 5, 2012

lyk what my fellow dair fan said dan is good for blair

sophia

Posted at 7:58 PM on March 21, 2012

they don’t deserve another season at all.This show became ridiculous and not credible.This season is awful they ruined everything and every characters for what? dan and blair they are the most ridiculous couple i have ever seen.

emily

Posted at 4:39 PM on March 22, 2012

i agree i am not going to support this show anymore.The writers treat their loyal fans like crap and really took us for granted.They should have stop at season 2 when they were at their best now the show is a pathetic joke which is really sad.

Emily

Posted at 1:45 PM on March 18, 2012

Its just sick to see everything turn into Chair-Dair warzone.
I guess there isnt much hope if the ship wars are stimulated by the writers themselves. Anyway, I think the reason season 5 is so awful is because they have sacrificed Blair’s character first for the royal wedding and now for Dair. Blair was one character who most people loved but after her ridiculous merry go round marriage, lame decisions, turning OC, making ridiculous pacts etc she is a lame shadow of the girl we knew and loved. Further, we used to watch GG for its sex appeal as a show with glamour, glitz, schemes and humor mixed with angst, plus great character driven plots. All that is lost- GG is a sad show which is crawling at on one broken limb now.. and trying hard to stand up but falling down again.

Its sad that it went from greatest show of all times to the lowest rated show on Tv. I would want a full season 6 if Schwartz comes back to head the writing, other than even 13 episodes of season 6 is too much.

iloveleighton

Posted at 12:00 PM on March 18, 2012

Nicole…you really got it right,i think this is the part that we have to reconcile all shippers and befriend each other who love gossip girl,but here’s the cliche….though we have to support the show if they don’t even care about there viewers i don’t think this will work.People are smart,gossip girl fans knows every single detail of the storyline becoz let’s face it all through gossip girl they are there.It needs cooperation and unity.If the people behind the show will give a nice convincing story and it’s acceptable the fans or the viewers will too follow….it’s one of the reason tv series who runs lots of season flops after it’s 4-6 becoz they doesnt hold consistency and they runnng on idea on what to do with their character forgetting what these character are…they want to explore things you can’t think existed,well i think it will only sell for sometime but not longtime.Anyways….thanks Nicole,i really like your posts…..take care!!!God bless

Kaya

Posted at 12:13 AM on March 18, 2012

save Blair from the rapist, stalker, abuser, manipulator, schemer, alcoholic dirt bag.

Vanilla

Posted at 2:51 AM on March 18, 2012

You mean Dan? I totally agree!!

Joy

Posted at 5:43 PM on March 17, 2012

Yes ratings have dropped over the years, that is normal for any show but the drop for the last three episodes to barely over a million can’t be ignored and shows something is going wrong. As a fan I watched all the episodes up to the 100th hoping that I would be ‘rewarded’ for my loyalty but what happened in that episode – Blair actually married Louis and than runs away with Dan! I loved this show because of the two girls, Serena and Blair but their friendship this season has been replaced with Dan and Blair, why? Nate has been reduced to supporting whatever guest star there is at the time. Chuck storyline for 17 episodes was to just pine for Blair and be sad and alone. Dan had his book but most of the time his role was to pine for Blair and be her new BFF. Serena had her career for a couple of episodes but the rest was to pine for Dan. They killed Cece. What to Lily and Rufus do? The have one of the main storylines be Ivy/Lola who are new to the show and people aren’t as invested in them but they take up all this time. I think Gossip Girl are lucky to even get any episodes for a Season 6 after this hot mess of a Season 5.

jj

Posted at 4:23 AM on April 5, 2012

as much as i hate to adimit it the series has gone from the best show ever to the worst one i dout f they ever come back

Rachel

Posted at 3:45 PM on March 17, 2012

I want to know who Nate’s endgame is because he’s my favorite guy on the show and secondly I want Chair to be endgame as well as Derena. Team Endgame all the way!

Eves

Posted at 1:46 PM on March 17, 2012

This crapfest needs to end. ‘Ban’ has destroyed GG. Chuck and Blair were the best thing on the show and the ratings have proved that. Now it’s such a mess, just because the writers need to make Humpty Dumpty happen.

Farah

Posted at 12:03 PM on March 17, 2012

I’m actually glad if they don’t do full 6th season. Over the past few seasons they have been recycling and dragging storylines and destroy some of the fans’ beloved characters. I was actually hoping season 5 would be the last but since that’s not the case, a shortened season 6 would be very much welcomed! And yes, I think the majority of the audience would want to see Chuck and Blair together, so they need to reunite them for the sake of the fans.

sarah

Posted at 11:14 AM on March 17, 2012

Totally agree with this article. I just hope Chuck and Blair have their happy ending. Chair always brings more audience and at least stable. This second stage of the season was ruined by Dair, and the ridiculous plots the writers invented. The writers should put more enthusiasm in what they write and not ruin what they have written 4 ½ seasons ago. And fix what they did with Chair, Blerena and Derena, these relationships are the most important!!.

Adrienne

Posted at 6:32 AM on March 17, 2012

I started watching Gossip Girl because of one of my friends who kept nagging me about Chuck and Blair and how i need to know who they are(watched a few YT clips and i got to admit they got to me). After that I started watching the actual show and i have to say that after the 1st ep i became a 21 yr old fan of a teen drama.That was all thanks to the witty lines,characters,storylines and ofc falling for Chuck and Blair. Slowly,starting with the second half of S4,the show became paiful to watch…and by season 5 it was way too borring(the storylines didn’t make sense anymore,my characters were missing and the big slap in the face called Ban happened). So if they will give us 13 eps in the last season i won’t be mad,they need to fix what they are still doing in S5 and i think they can do it in 13 eps. I think if the fans who started watching and loving GG in Season 1 are not being able to watch it anymore,that’s a big sign it’s really messed up.
PS:Loved the artcile Nicole and thanks for always supporting us<3

Hey

Posted at 5:58 AM on March 17, 2012

I would love a sixth or seventh or even eight season of gossip girl, but gossip girl aint the series Friends, that managed great rating for 10 seasons. GG is a dramatic series and the ideas need to be fresh and surprising, just like my fav show 90210. Dont get me wrong, I love GG i’m just afraid they will ran out of ideas and start making up stuff that makes no sense.

Sarah

Posted at 5:36 AM on March 17, 2012

if the writers didnt want chair fans around they wouldnt of had the baby SL in the first place, that kept the faith for alot of chair fans, we also wouldnt have “chuck and blair are never over” we wouldnt have blair declaring her love to chuck or them mentioning the video everytime since. ive said this before it isnt just dan and blair thats the proplem its the way it was written to be. both serena and chuck were written in the badlight when db were starting to get close, watching movie. they were both upset and found happyness in eachoher. theres a reason chuck was mentioned before both the movie scenes it was a comparison making dan seem way more appealing for blair in comparison. also dan has replaced serena as blairs bestfriend. they say they didnt show blarena scenes b/coz they were in a goodplace, then why did they have the time to write positive friendship scenes this season? they were also isolated from everyone to even make their friendship work. and also the casual veiwer would be confused as hell about the essay thing, the writers had to explain it on twitter! and the fact that dans book said they had a bigger connection then sb? chuck makes blair weak, dan cares about her not inspite of who she is but because of it. then why did he say in 5×10 “in spite of myself and many times inspite of HER” he also said the ending CB DESERVE” also about their force feild connection, do you really want blair with dan when she has a strong connection to someone else? everything CB go through keeps leading them back to eachother and this is no exception