'Two and a Half Men' Cancelled? Too Expensive To Renew, Insider Says

Thu, March 15, 2012 3:24pm EST by 113 Comments
Two and a Half Men Cancelled

A source on the hit TV show’s set tells HollywoodLife.com producers are concerned about the amount of money they’d have to pay Ashton Kutcher and the rest of the cast to stay on the show for another season and are considering cancelling it!

Even huge ratings might not be enough to keep CBS’s hit sitcom, Two and a Half Men, afloat. HollywoodLife.com can tell you exclusively it might not be renewed for a tenth season due to the cast’s over all high salary.

“Right now it’s all about the money,” a source on the show tells us. “CBS would have to give Ashton Kutcher a huge raise to stay on for another season, plus the rest of the cast makes a ton a money already. It might just be worth it to end on a huge note.”

After Charlie Sheen left the show in season eight, he was replaced by Ashton, who brought in an average of more than 16 million viewers a week (which was nearly a series all-time high!). However, despite the high ratings, the 34-year-old actor was still paid an estimated $15.4 million for the season, which would only increase.

“Discussions are still happening, but right now it’s looking like it’s 50/50 at best for renewal,” our source says.

Would YOU like to see Two and Half Men renewed for a tenth season? Sound off below!

Reporting by Russ Weakland

charliefan

Posted at 4:03 AM on March 31, 2012

The show is just not the same without Charlie. I don’t find the new show funny at all. Ashton does not connect with the rest.

steadyl100

Posted at 7:55 PM on March 30, 2012

That is funny they might be cancelling bcuz of money?,LOL. That is the best laugh i have had since the new episodes aired with kutcher. I most definitely CBS on this one Lorre.

lin333

Posted at 10:56 PM on March 29, 2012

They definitely should cancel the show. Ashton Kutcher is as lame brained as he was on the ’70′s show, and he is just plain stupid. I honestly do not see where he got his acting ability because he is not funny. I tried to watch the show, and may have laughed once. I watch the reruns with Charlie Sheen, and the chemistry between Charlie/Alan/Jake/Berta/Rose/Deborah/and Evelyn was priceless, and hilarious. Cancel the show, and put Jon Cryer in a better role, because he is a funny guy! I hope Charlie’s new show, Anger Management, will be a good one.

C

Posted at 6:40 PM on March 29, 2012

I don’t think it’s worth keeping around. There are no interesting plot lines this season. The writing is just bad. I mean what is that Zooey character even doing there she’s useless/uninteresting.
They should of had Jake form a band with Elderidge and become teen pop stars. He’d then be a younger version of Charlie with money and girls without much effort all thw while supporting Alan. They shouldn’t of killed off Charlie in the first place. Just let he and Rose go off into the sunset and live in Paris. Anyone who watched that show didn’t believe Rose would kill Charlie. No way.
Ashton wasn’t even needed.

Jc

Posted at 7:37 PM on March 28, 2012

I gave Ashton a chance, but it’s NOT WORKING. It would be like replacing him with Sheen on That 70s show. Nothing against Ashton, but his character doesn’t fit. Unless ratings are high, just pull the plug and end it now.

Paul

Posted at 10:43 PM on March 27, 2012

I agree with what everyone here says. Ashton Kutcher was a terrible choice as a replacement. He just can’t act…period. Absolutely no comic sense whatsoever even if they gave him a funny line which by the way, no longer exists on this show. Cancel please.

Bob

Posted at 11:36 AM on March 25, 2012

I happen to enjoy Ashton and the remaining cast. I’d like to see the show continue.

bettye britt

Posted at 10:35 PM on April 18, 2012

Mudos to you. Ashton is awesome and the rest of the cast always has been. Charlies fans must be full of tiger blood themselves if they dont find this new season hilarious. Wait … if they dont like it, then why are they watching and if they arent watching, then how can they judge how it is. Lorre is a genious and could not have made a better choice than Ashton Kutcher.

Helen

Posted at 10:54 PM on April 24, 2012

Hilarious! Are you kidding, or are you 12 years old? And, no, I’m not watching the show. I TRIED to get through the first episode of season 9 but didn’t make it past the first 15 minutes. And I never attempted to watch it again. I’ve heard from friends and relatives who watched it a few more times than I, and they also have given up on it. It’s atrocious and not at all funny. Anyone who thinks that it’s funny either has no sense of comedy or must be on something. And then some people find disgusting scenarious funny as well. Go figure!

Jerry

Posted at 3:30 PM on March 22, 2012

I don’t like the new show without Charlie. I watched the first few episodes with Kutcher to give it a chance, but it never got funny. I don’t even watch it now.

Personally, I think the show ran it’s course before Charlie left and should have ended at the end of season 9.

Jody

Posted at 4:24 PM on March 20, 2012

The show is nothing without Charlie. I bet Lorre is lying saying it is about the money. There is no way the ratings can be what he says they are. No one watches because it’s so bad without Charlie!! Ashton is so not funny. He’s an idiot on screen and off screen. Cancel the show or bring back Charlie Sheen and kill off Ashton character for good.

tg

Posted at 11:55 AM on March 20, 2012

Please please bring back Charlie. Come on the coaps do it all the time. They bring back dead people!!! I’m waiting for him to walk out of the water and onto the beach in front of his house. Even though the rest of the cast is great you still need CHARLIE!!! Suck it up CBS and get Charlie back.

Charlie Sheen

Posted at 11:55 PM on March 19, 2012

I told you so….

Sameolesameole

Posted at 9:26 PM on March 19, 2012

And yeah I think the ratings are slipping in some key demographics. That’s probably the reason they’re talking salaries instead of how bad the quality of this show is compared to reruns with Sheen.

After two months away from the Kutcher version of this show I tuned in tonight… and it still sucks big time. Not one good laugh, not one good zinger.

If this was a pilot for this show ten years ago, it would have been tossed into the garbage can within minutes of a network exec looking at it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they see Anger Management on the horizon. Maybe Lorre and co. maybe had this plan all along. String it out for a year and see where things go.

Except they never figured Charlie would be back!!!

Sameolesameole

Posted at 9:18 PM on March 19, 2012

Now the truth finally comes out. You can never trust Hollyweird to tell you anything properly. It’s all about the money.

Remember how most of the cast and crew turned on Charlie? Then they welcomed Ashton? Yeah it was because of their huge salaries were being jeapordized not because they thought the show was good.

This show smelled ripe for the landfill the minute they got rid of Sheen, irregardless of his dillhole behavior!!!

Consort

Posted at 7:31 PM on March 19, 2012

Ashton Kutcher is to Charlie Sheen as Jon Lovitz was to Phil Hartman.

Lou

Posted at 9:57 PM on March 19, 2012

Almost nobody will remember the Newsradio reference. And that is unfair to Kutcher and Lovitz, who replaced a MURDERED Phil Hartman as opposed to a FIRED Charlie Sheen.
Remember Chico and The Man?
The Redd Foxx Show?
Name one show that survived the loss of one of its LEADS, with the possible exception of Bonanza. It is extremely difficult.

Lana

Posted at 10:53 AM on March 22, 2012

Maybe a little show called cheers! which survived about 6 years after shelly long left and probably could have gone on longer!

Craig

Posted at 12:40 PM on March 19, 2012

The show sucks now. Sheen was the show and can never be replaced. Kutcher blows and is not funny at all. I say kill the show now and walk away.

Jay

Posted at 3:30 PM on March 18, 2012

Its terrible without Charlie, I really have a hard time believing that the ratings are high. Everyone I talk to hates it, and no one watches it. I watched the first episode and turned it off. Bring back Charlie or cancel it. Chuck Lorre should be ashamed of himself for being so petty.

dean

Posted at 2:56 AM on March 17, 2012

It’s pretty bad, plot sucks, writing sucks, acting sucks, and even the new set looks ugly.

Chevy guy

Posted at 2:57 AM on March 16, 2012

Watched the first 10 minutes of the shows with ashton kutcher and turned it off. He was not a good replacement for charlie sheen. Cancel it or ressurect charlie.

saywhat

Posted at 11:37 PM on March 15, 2012

please cancel this awful show with Ashton Kutcher. I’m surprised people continue to watch this crap.

Lee

Posted at 10:40 PM on March 15, 2012

I woukd like the series renewed for the 10 seasin only if Charlie returns, the ratings would hit the roof and the show would be funny again.

thor

Posted at 7:51 PM on March 15, 2012

I woukd like the series renewed for the 10 seasin only if Charlie returns, the ratings would hit the roof.

jennifer

Posted at 6:35 PM on March 15, 2012

Too expensive? Yah right they paid sheen way more. It has to be a ratings thing.

Paul

Posted at 5:27 PM on March 15, 2012

Bring Charlie back show sucks without him I haven’t watched it since he left to be honest they talk about money I’m pretty sure the ratings went down hill besides Charlie makes more money than Ashton

Nancy

Posted at 4:41 PM on March 15, 2012

Show has not been the same. No chemistry, no point, no humor. Such a shame. Was a great show, great chemistry and very funny. Should be canceled.

Anonymous

Posted at 4:21 PM on March 15, 2012

I used to love this show and gave Ashton a chance…it has turned into crap with horrible writing. My last episode to watch was the one where everyone was puking. That was just flat out disgusting. No more two and a half men for me and that used to be one of my favorite shows…..

Brat

Posted at 4:28 PM on March 15, 2012

I feel the same way. I haven’t watched it in weeks. And I really don’t miss it at all.

Cleo

Posted at 8:20 PM on March 15, 2012

I also feel the same way. I turned it off after that show too. Then I started to realize that most of the original cast hardly has any lines. Now I’ve moved on. Cancel it.

John

Posted at 10:56 AM on March 24, 2012

Yes, the writing is horrible, but so is Ashton. Everybody keeps saying that the writing is bad and that it’s not Ashton’s fault. Well, sorry to say but it’s also very much his fault. He’s just can’t act – in anything that he does.