'The Hunger Games' & 'Twilight' Celebrate Serious Values –Proof That Young Women Are NOT Airheads

Tue, March 13, 2012 12:47pm EDT by 52 Comments

Who says that young women are shallow and have flea-like attention spans? That’s so wrong. ‘The Hunger Games’ and ‘Twilight’ are all about love of family, romantic commitment and self-sacrifice. That’s WHY they are so popular!

The politicians of this country could learn a thing or two or three from the heroines and heros of both The Hunger Games and Twilight book and movie series.

While we’ve watched politicos pander to special interests like Big Oil and Big Money campaign donors, attack women’s reproductive rights and get exposed as cheaters — these books celebrate admirable and traditional values.

I’m tired of hearing so-called “serious” people roll their eyes over the literature choices of young women. Especially since these ” highbrows” have rarely even read The Hunger Games or Twilight books.

Instead they should be impressed by the strength and courage of the female characters central to these books.

Katniss Everdeen, the 16-year-old key character in The Hunger Games places the safety and well-being of her family, especially her younger sister, Prim, 12, above all else. Not only does she risk her life on a daily basis to illegally hunt to ensure her family doesn’t starve, but she makes the ULTIMATE sacrifice.

Katniss volunteers to fight to the death in the violent Hunger Games annual competition in place of Prim, who has been selected in a random draw. She is willing to give her own life to save her sister. How many people are truly willing to do that?

Before she is taken away to the “Capitol” to compete, she begs her hunting companion and BFF Gale, to make sure that her family doesn’t starve in her absence.

Katniss also places the love of her family and her own independence, ahead of romantic love. She is no swooning romantic who spends her time dreaming about a Prince Charming.

No — she is determined to take her destiny into her own hands and fight to survive for her family and will not be distracted by mere romance love.

Later, she chooses to fight for freedom for the people of her district and others, against the tyranny of the cruel rulers in the Capitol.

Which politician or celebrity in reaL, NOT LITERARY LIFE, do young women have to look up to today,  who has the same strength of their own convictions and morals, but also has the genuine empathy for others that 16-year-old Katniss does? Money, glamour, power or Hermes purses do not motivate her!

Likewise, Bella Swan, the lead character in Twilight, isn’t the least bit interested in or motivated by the superficial. She doesn’t care about clothes or casual relationships in the least.

She is purely motivated by her unwavering love for Edward Cullen, her parents, and her unborn baby.

On multiple occasions, Bella is also prepared to sacrifice her own safety and even life, in order to protect her mother, father, Edward, the rest of the Cullen family, and the baby that will be called Renesmee.

She is not interested in sampling multiple sex partners or in partying her nights and days away.

No instead, she is willing to make an old-fashioned commitment to a lifelong eternal marriage, and also to keeping the peace between several warring factions: werewolves, vampires and the Volturi vampires.

The fact that both Katniss and Bella are serious, sober-minded young women with deep commitments to their families, speaks to the real values and aspirations, that today’s young women REALLY have.

They are entranced by those books because they admire the strength and commitment of these characters who survive through the most difficult of adversities. They want to be as strong and determined and loving as these young women.

These are difficult times and despite perceptions, today’s young women are not party girl airheads at all! So stop criticizing them and their literature and instead start expressing admiration!

– Bonnie Fuller

More ‘Hunger Games’ News

1. Miley Cyrus ‘Hunger Games’ Premiere: The Star Shows Some Skin & Bares Her Midriff
  2. Jennifer Lawrence, Miley Cyrus & More: ‘The Hunger Games’ Premiere Best of Beauty
  3. Jennifer Lawrence Stuns In Gold Cutout Gown For ‘The Hunger Games’ Premiere

Aaliyan

Posted at 2:51 PM on June 6, 2012

I have to admit that I’ve never heard of her before and she just doesn’t look like Katniss to me… Elizabeth Olsen (Mary-Kate and Ashley’s yoguenr sister)is a new commer and her face looks to me what Katniss would look like more… Any news on who Peta will be?

maca

Posted at 12:39 AM on June 3, 2012

twilight <3

home renovations

Posted at 10:40 AM on May 15, 2012

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I find this matter to be actually something that I believe I might never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m having a look ahead on your subsequent publish, I will try to get the hold of it!

albergopalermo

Posted at 5:03 AM on April 29, 2012

Woah this blog is wonderful i like reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You know, lots of people are hunting around for this information, you can help them greatly.

Kate

Posted at 12:26 PM on April 14, 2012

I hope I speak for others when I say many of us read The Hunger Games and admire Katniss because if we never heard from the insipid, whining Bella Swan again, it would be too soon!

Rodrigo

Posted at 12:29 AM on June 9, 2012

I just read The Hunger Games and loved it. I will read the last 2 installments Catching Fire and Mockingjay soon. I like the look but was not eicpetnxg them to turn her into a brunette. I guess they wanted to downplay her sexuality as she is freaking hot in real life. Could be the next Twilight series.

recombinant human growth hormone treatment

Posted at 10:56 AM on April 3, 2012

I do not even know how I finished up here, however I thought this put up was once great. I do not realize who you are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in case you aren’t already. Cheers!

Laura

Posted at 4:41 PM on March 25, 2012

What a beautiful girl is Jennifer Lawrence she is so nice but i think the hair in brunette color is best for her face

Karen E.

Posted at 5:19 PM on March 21, 2012

I have just one more comment to make about Kristen Stewart…..SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMEN……This is her movie where she show all of us that she too can be tough and do her own stunts.Now like I said Jennifer Lawrence is very good in the Hunger Games,I will not denied her that ,but lets give Kristen Stewart A chance in SWATH.O.K. Every one.Peace and prayers to all involved in both movies….Karen E.

KATNISS!!!!!!!

Posted at 5:51 AM on March 20, 2012

katniss is an amazing rle model but bella is just a hoepless idiot who throws her life away because of a boy

maria

Posted at 12:50 AM on March 19, 2012

Oh dear dear dear, Bella is the epitome of an airhead.

Ali

Posted at 1:20 PM on March 17, 2012

Don’t ever compare The Hunger Games to Twilight. Ever. They are two different series. I find Katniss to be a better role model than Bella because Katniss actually fought for her life and even though she got a but distracted by Gale and Peeta, she was willing to just forget them for a moment and remember what was important.

Bella on the other hand, went comatose for months after Edward left her. She jumped off a cliff just to hear his voice. Is that the kind of message you want young girls to get? That jumping off a cliff as soon as your first boyfriend breaks up with you is okay? Katniss knows how to move on. Bella is too stupid for words.

Karen E.

Posted at 10:08 PM on March 17, 2012

Hey Ali,did you ever have A 1st love who broke up with you and you thought the world was gonna end?I did and I 55 years young and every once in a while I will think of him ,and it brings A tear to my eye,I didn’t want to go out,I did’t want to talk to any one,I was 16 years old,and I thought my world was over.I did get over it and life went on.If you read the books or saw the movies Bella never had A boyfriend and she was A virgin so she was very hurt.So ease up on Bella. Now for Katniss I have A tremendous amount of respect for her,and I haven,t read the books yet,or seen the movie,it’s not out yet but I will go an see it.They both have great strengths about them,katniss is a survive and Bella is the hero and saves her family,the wolves and all the other vampires who got together to help save Renesmee,so I say Bella and Katniss are both heros,and both these sagas are going to go down in movie history,just like Romeo and Juliet,Harry Potter,and Lord of the rings.Peace to you….Karen E.

Potheads rule LA

Posted at 9:22 PM on March 16, 2012

Man when you put a full figure young lady that can act up against a young chicklady non acting wanted be a lady that has smoke pot since the age of 9yrs of age.

And she can rule LA as the most talent young actors of her genaration and the world buys it because she with a young man that look hot so hot to the famales of that world. Then we know that DRUGS RULES and school is for fools……..

crystal

Posted at 9:52 PM on March 15, 2012

You people who are commenting are my type of crowd instead of saying what series is better and putting them against each other you guys realize the braveness each portray