'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: Someone Is Arrested For Alison's Murder

Mon, March 12, 2012 11:45pm EDT by 50 Comments

But is it really her killer? That’s just one of the million new questions we’re left with after this week’s episode.

Next week’s finale of Pretty Little Liars promises to be the most intense hour of the season, but I find it hard to believe it can possibly top the March 12 episode, which messed with my head so badly I’m not even sure a trip to Dr. Wren could cure me. (OK, fine, a trip to Dr. Wren could cure anything.) Let’s dissect this week’s episode, twist by twist, to see if we can figure out who “A” might actually be.

Let’s start with the biggest shocker of all: Melissa (Torrey DeVitto) and Garrett (Yani Gellman) are a couple! And yes, that means it’s also entirely possibly the little baby growing inside of her actually belongs to Officer M&M’s, instead of Ian (Ryan Merriman). But we didn’t really get a chance to find that out, because the minute Garrett and Melissa swapped spit in the kitchen, the other police showed up to arrest him for Alison’s (Sasha Pieterse) murder!

That brings us to Jenna (Tammin Sursok), who’s the whole reason the police showed up at Chez Hastings in the first place. She showed Toby (Keegan Allen) the missing page of Alison’s autopsy and told him Garrett is the one who gave it to her, prompting him to blow the whistle on Rosewood’s creepiest cop. But there’s a much bigger question with Jenna: Can she see? She played blind for most of the episode, leading everyone to believe her surgery was a failure, but her aim was pretty dead-on with that fly at the very end of the hour. (Jenna lying? What a surprise.)

Speaking of surprises, I was floored by Aria’s (Lucy Hale) behavior tonight — and I mean that in the best way possible. When she found out her parents wanted to send her off to an all-girls boarding school, she finally grew a pair and threatened to reveal Byron’s (Chad Lowe) affair to the dean of Hollis. This sort of backfired and got Ezra (Ian Harding) ousted from the school, but it also led to the scene we’ve been waiting nearly two seasons to see: Aria and Ezra finally did the deed! At least, I think they did. There was definitely shirtless-ness, and “Wicked Game” was playing, so I think it’s safe to assume there was laying involved.

This now brings us to the terrifying portion of tonight’s recap. Spencer (Troian Bellisario), Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Emily (Shay Mitchell) paid a visit to the creepy doll store, where they believed a wee little lad named Seth could tell them who was responsible for sending them that box of dolls earlier this season. Unfortunately they didn’t get to ask him, because they were too busy being attacked by all of the dolls in the store — including one who kept chanting “Follow me, end up like me.” Oh, and did I mention she was buried in the ground and bleeding from the head just like Alison?

And since everything on this show eventually comes back to Alison, I’d regret not discussing the fact that Alison paid a little visit to Spencer at the beginning of this week’s episode. It’s the exact clip we all saw last week — she told Spencer she’s “getting warmer,” then muttered something about wanting pills — but now that we finally got to see it in context, I’m more curious than ever: Could Alison really be alive?

This. Show. Is. Nuts!

OK, we’re one week away from the big “A” reveal, so let’s start theorizing! Is Garrett the father of Melissa’s baby? Did he really kill Alison? And, of course, the all-important question: Who is A?! See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars updates

Jaleel

Posted at 11:55 PM on July 4, 2012

We really can’t decide who “A” is , and there is no easy explanation for it . Think about when Mona said “That’s what WE want them to do”, If Allison didn’t have anything to do with her disappearance then hwhy would she appear to Mona when Hannah was trying to get her to talk. The thing is Allison was wanted by “A” because she was always the one putting secrets out and not letting them be kept secert. I can almost guarantee that whoever was in that blue or black car the guy from the military/bus man said maya was talking to is “A”, it would be a waste of an audience if Mellisa or Garret or Jenna was “A” , now if they were star attractions that had no idea what they getting themselves into it would be the icing on the cake . Think about it Vivian Darkbllom had dark hair , Allison was Vivian Darkbloom , Vivian darkbloom was Allisons twin sister , it was sworn secrecy between her and “A”

katie

Posted at 8:33 PM on March 17, 2012

i dont know but in the books ali has a twin sister and in the halloween episode in ali’s house, there is a picture of Ali, then Jason, then Ali again…? EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS what if Ali’s twin sister is Vivian?

Katie

Posted at 8:29 PM on March 17, 2012

omg if garret is A like im actually gonna shoot the producers ahahah like omg if it is him that is just so disapointing, im ready for a twist ;)

Allison

Posted at 3:35 PM on March 17, 2012

I believe Mona is A,
not to be a spoiler but that’s who it is in the FIRST time in the books, now the rest of the times, I think they’ll switch it up. Needless to say, I it would be a good shock if the baby was Garrett’s, or even worse, if Melissa is lying saying its Garret’s when its really Ian’s? hmm? I mean hey its Rosewood anything is possible! As for Aria and Ezra, In a way I kinda hope they go their separate ways. But Toby and Spencer :D i hope they get back together. I also hope that Emily’s love life kinda follows the books. last but not least I hope Hanna and Caleb stay together! Also, I hope Seth is a reoccurring character in the next season, and i hope he’s important !

Katie

Posted at 8:27 PM on March 17, 2012

A is NOT Mona, we all know that A is Mona in the books but the producer specifically stated that A is not who it is in the books. and then you think about it, it is kinda true because that would just ruin it. :p

PLL Fanatic

Posted at 9:02 AM on March 17, 2012

But how cute would it be if Aria became pregnant?! I mean just picture little Ezaria babies, babbling and running around….. Dating their teachers…… Lol:)

Rach

Posted at 7:04 AM on March 17, 2012

I’m sure Aria and Ezra already had sex?? But anyway, I defo think Melissa knows who A is because she said she’d been scaring spencer since she was 4 soo she could be one of the people sending the text. I’m sure she’s either workin with A or at least knows whats going on. I mean if she was really innocent why would she threaten the liars about seeing other videos like that???
Oh and Jenna is defo up to something, a few episodes ago Garrett told her to burn that page and she was all like “is it page 5?” soo she’s probs trying to pass off everything shes done and put it all on Garrett and because everyone still thinks she’s blind she caan get away with playing the innocent. I think now she’s got her sight back, she’ll be after a bit of payback
I don’t think Garrett is A I think he’s being used… he’s a bit too dumb to be A…
Yeah soo I have no idea who A is -_- its gonna be someone unexpected though

Jaleel

Posted at 12:00 AM on July 5, 2012

Mellisa know who “A” is and so does Garrett the crazy thing about it is the producer knows the only twist left is that Allison isn’t dead . Or that Maya maybe “A” , either way your going to be disappointed because In that freezer there was only one body , and i’m betting that it wasn’t Allison .. Because Allison , well everything that she owned has been poppin up everywere , ..

EmilyK

Posted at 10:36 PM on March 16, 2012

THEY ALREADY HAD SEX PEOPLE! Remember, in the beginning of season 2 I believe, Ezra says he is quitting his job and leaving the next day so aria stays over and tell her parents she’s at Spencer’s house for the night.

PLL Fanatic:)

Posted at 8:57 AM on March 17, 2012

Nah, this is their first time. Last time she just stayed over as in just stayed:)

EmilyK

Posted at 4:14 PM on March 17, 2012

Really? Oh I thought it was just kind of implied… I mean i doubt they stayed up all night watching scary movies and painting their nails, but yeah I gues they didn’t specify if they actually did it or not.

hally

Posted at 2:11 AM on June 11, 2012

ezra and aria have NEVER had sex before coz the only time they ‘did’ was in a dream of arias at the start of season 2

shizzznit

Posted at 5:30 PM on March 13, 2012

i wonder who it was.. o_o

shizzznit

Posted at 5:29 PM on March 13, 2012

did anyone notice the face when that creepy doll was talking? that face was def moving..

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:05 PM on March 14, 2012

The doll’s face? Creepy!

pllfan

Posted at 1:47 PM on March 13, 2012

It would make sense if Garrett was the baby daddy although i also wouldnt be surprised if it was Wrens either… I don’t think Garrett is A. Why would he have given Jenna Page 5 if he was A. I mean seriously. What is on Page 5 that is sooo important. I mean obviously there is something there that makes him or Melissa look EXTREMELY guilty. I am wondering if Jenna was ever even blind! I mean she may have been blind in the beginning after the accident she was definitely not blind in this episode. She is not innocent that is for sure!!!! As for the creepy ali doll all I can say is A is definitely trying to get them off her track but what are the girls supposed to do. Just sit by while everyone they love get Killed by A. All I know is that Jenna is NOT innocent. Not A just not innocent. I thought differently last week but now not so much. Melissa knows something. She is probably not A but she probably knows who is. A is just making it look like her. I mean look at Ian. He looked extremely guilty until he was found with a bullet in his head!! Garrett isn’t A but there is something in that autopsy report that makes him look like the killer. Ali is either not dead or haunting the girls trying to push them to find the killer. The suspense is KILLING ME!!! Cant wait to find out who A is!!!!!!!

PLLfan

Posted at 1:49 PM on March 13, 2012

Oh yeah. and just because Melissa saw Mona and Caleb kissing doesnt mean anything. Emily was not far away and Mona has been getting texts so A’s eyes were most likely on them!!!!!!

hally

Posted at 2:15 AM on June 11, 2012

on pg five it says how ally was killed

qwerty

Posted at 10:08 AM on March 13, 2012

i bet A is framing melissa cause A has listened in on their convos before so why not now they could have known what they were doing and followed them there. Did you see how many cars were on that street A could’ve easily been in one of them. I really hope A is not a random person that nobody knows about cause it would be a really bad ending

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:07 PM on March 14, 2012

Yeah, I feel like Melissa is too obvious to be “A.”

Cw

Posted at 9:27 AM on March 13, 2012

I thought Aria and Ezra already had sex in the beginning?! The first time they met at that bar

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:05 PM on March 14, 2012

They made out, and there was lots of groping, but this was the first time they had sex.

tiffany

Posted at 4:36 AM on March 13, 2012

I think melissa might be A unless they will follow the book in which case right now would be mona or maybe its jenna its one of them ! :)

kathleen

Posted at 1:58 AM on August 12, 2012

it cant be mona . mona also reciived text from A tooo

Kgee

Posted at 3:54 AM on March 13, 2012

Has anyone possibly thought arias brother mike? I know that seems far fetched but what about when he broke into Spencer’s house? And was just “breaking and entering” he could possibly be working for someone else and he goes to the school so it’s not crazy for him to see everything going on…he’ could be doing the dirty work and gets framed as being A by the real perpetrator…just an outside food for though!

kathleen

Posted at 1:59 AM on August 12, 2012

he wouldnt hurt aria like that

Alison

Posted at 3:38 AM on March 13, 2012

1. The pill thing is weird, buuut whenever the girls saw Ali they were either injured (Hanna), intoxicated (Emily) or whatever happened to Spencer (what did happen to Spencer?). I still don’t believe Ali is alive until I see her when the girls aren’t messed up!
2. Yay for Ezria, just one thing: I hope Aria doesn’t get preggs becuse we all saw what happens when on ABC family characters have anger sex (*cough-Emily-and-Adrian-cough*)!
3. First time liars didn’t do something and they’re blamed. Life really is cruel for them!
Too excited for next week!

PLL Fan

Posted at 1:50 PM on March 13, 2012

Aria get pregnant would totally be a bombshell and a good storyline for net season!

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:06 PM on March 14, 2012

I agree. I was thinking Aria might get pregnant, but I would be kind of annoyed. Not EVERYONE on TV needs to get pregnant the first time they have sex.

Christina

Posted at 12:17 AM on March 13, 2012

okay so like that person said theres no way ali is A because this person with the black glove at the end of every episode sees ppl like arias mom at the dance…

Second if you remember in season 1 spencer saw Ali in the barn house or whatever in the window.

I think Ali is still alive because that “dream” spencer had the bottle was open when she got up with the door as well. and maybe Ali is alive and the show made her sister get killed with everyone thinking it was ali when it was really her sister who was killed.

Another thing is Melissa i do think Melissa is A because she was right there when she saw them kissing and hanna got the text quick… and Melissa said to garrett don’t worry i have been scaring them for a long time there not going to turn anything in and when the cops showed up she just played stupid like she didnt know what was going on.

Maybe melissa and garrett killed Ian cause he knew the truth. And where has jason been?

Christina

Posted at 12:21 AM on March 13, 2012

oh and Jenna can see she hit that bug right on and smiled and cleaned it and then was looking at herself in the mirror. when your blind you dont look at yourself like that period. and something is weird because garrett said take this paper with you and burn it, it wont lead us back to that night so maybe jenna is still involved and just pretended she didnt know what the paper was idk

tiffany

Posted at 4:41 AM on March 13, 2012

That happened in the book ! Ali was alive an it was her twin sis that but thats after mona is a and then shes killed and ali is the real A cant wait to see!

Katie

Posted at 8:37 PM on March 17, 2012

YES!!! and ALSO her twin that died is vivian!

Marisa

Posted at 12:02 AM on March 13, 2012

I think Ali is still alive and that it was her twin sister Courtney who escaped from the mental hospital in the halloween special episode and than they switched places and Ali was sent to hospital. And than Courtney started doing all these things creating enemies (hooking up with ian Melissa hated her, blinding Jenna Jenna and Garett hate her) finally Allison escapes and kills Courtney who when they find everyone assumes is Allison. That’s why Allison started to pretend to be Vivian so she would have an alter ego. Ali than starts to punish all her friends for not realizing that Courtney had stole her friends for so long while she was in the hospital. And Ali does not want to be found bc than she will get caught.

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:07 PM on March 14, 2012

But didn’t one of the twins DIE in the Halloween episode?

Sam

Posted at 11:34 PM on March 12, 2012

Ali is probably still alive but she can’t be A because people have seen A all over. Even Arias mum gave A his/her jacket back at the dance…I think Ali might still be alive but maybe hiding out? Gahhh so excited

Jess

Posted at 10:54 PM on March 12, 2012

Garrett was wearing his badge on his jacket when he and Melissa came into the kitchen…hmmm.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:00 PM on March 12, 2012

…meaning he couldn’t have been the one who dropped the badge in the firey house last week? I like the way you think!

monita latina

Posted at 6:59 AM on March 13, 2012

i think when A dropped the badge it meant to tell us garret is his next target as jenna was the first target when the fire happened

Jess

Posted at 1:24 AM on March 14, 2012

I’m just wondering if A could possibly be Detective Wilden. He was in the pilot…seems dead set on pinning Ali’s murder on the Liars, no matter what. Wouldn’t that be a twist? He has a thing for Ashley. Hanna seems to get the worst of A’s wrath…maybe he thinks if he gets rid of Hanna, Ashley might be willing to give him a chance. Just another theory to think about. I’m not ready to commit to anything yet…the suspense is killing me…

Chelsea

Posted at 10:42 PM on March 12, 2012

Creepy episode must watch it just wanna share where i watch it

totally safe and free so no need to worry about it tested, enjoy!

Jess

Posted at 10:41 PM on March 12, 2012

This episode messed with my head, too! I had cold chills through the entire episode…that is, when I didn’t want to hurl (Mona & Caleb’s make-out sesh, Melissa & Garrett’s kiss!).

IS ALI ALIVE??? The open door and open pill bottle seem to suggest that Spencer wasn’t dreaming!

The look on the girls’ faces when Spencer dropped the “my-dad-is-Jason’s-dad-too-and-my-parents-thought-my-sister-murdered-his-sister-so-they-hired-a-PI-to-investigate-her-disappearance” bomb was priceless!

I loved seeing Aria’s bad girl side, when she made her threat about telling the dean about Byron. And then the Aria/Ezra moment…

Those dolls were creepy…that “Follow me. End up like me.” crap will give me nightmares! And all that stuff that the little boy knew…was his “gift” real or just what “A” told him to feed the Liars?

Well, looks like the Liars were able to get “A” to text Hanna! I was surprised that Spencer showed Melissa the video though. We knew Melissa was somehow involved in the “A” game…we just learned that she may have traded one baby daddy for another, but what’s the difference, right? Either way, she’s still carrying the spawn of Satan. I knew all that crap she had to talk to Spencer re: Garrett was all a bunch of lies.

Speaking of Garrett…we know that what Jenna (I SO knew she could see!) gave to the police (pg 5 of Alison’s autopsy) is what got him arrested, but we still don’t know for sure if that was his badge planted at Jason’s house. And speaking of pg 5, when Garrett gave that page to Jenna, he told her to burn it and that it was the last thing that could tie them to that night. So that begs the question: other than the M.E. who performed the autopsy, Jenna (who said, “That bitch deserved to die like that!”), and Garrett, who else would’ve known Alison’s official cause of death that could’ve made that whole creepy doll scene?

More questions than answers, my friends…can’t wait until next week!

Alyse

Posted at 9:58 PM on March 12, 2012

In the books Garret and Melissa eventually become a couple. I’m not positive he killed Alison but I don’t really know. I think Jenna’s surgery worked though and that she’s just faking it. I can’t wait for the next episode so I finally can find out who A is, then rewatch like every episode to see how I missed all the clues!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:14 PM on March 12, 2012

OK, then I’m definitely convinced that bebeh is Garrett’s. It wouldn’t be as shocking if they were just dating.

IT”S HIS BEBEH!

Alison

Posted at 3:39 AM on March 13, 2012

Em, Garrett wasn’t in the books?

Angel

Posted at 9:52 PM on March 12, 2012

If Alison is really alive, then I think she might be A. I’m just really excited! I can’t wait! And this season so far has been SUCH a roller coaster for Ezria. There’s so much drama between them. I hope that Ezra isn’t leaving for good. They’re really good together, but change is good too. And what happened to Holden? AND OH MY GOD ANDY CALEB AND MONA. NO NO NO. I WAS FREAKING OUT SO MUCH. Ugh. I just can’t wait until next week!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:20 PM on March 12, 2012

That’s actually a really good question about Holden. Where did he go? Did he conveniently move again? The real estate business in Rosewood must be BOOMING.

As for Mona and Caleb, I couldn’t even bring myself to write about that. lol

Camille

Posted at 7:37 AM on March 14, 2012

Aria is becoming more suspicious. She seems to be MIA everytime the girls are doing something big to find out who A is. Plus Aria and Ezra seem out of place in the story. I mean as of the moment they do not really connect to Ali and the whole story.

I think Ali is A and she’s warning the girls about Aria. Aria could be the ‘killer”. Look, Ali talked to Hanna, Emily and Spencer but not to Aria (or not yet at least). A revealed Aria’s secret about her dad’s affair but not other girls’ secrets. Ali said something like “Know who your friends AREN’T” to Spencer on the Halloween episode. Plus, Duncan seems suspicious of Aria. He said Ali could be afraid of a friend then Aria got jumpy.

A wanted to get the box that Jason gave Aria because A (Ali) wanted the girls to see what’s in the box or possibly get the box out of Aria’s hands. Also, A started to bug the girls when Aria moved back in Rosewood. Ali wants the girls to warn about Aria.

I really think A is Ali and Aria is the “killer” but she could’ve killed Ali’s twin and not her.

Season 3 will have Ali, Spencer, Hanna, Emily and Aria on the flashbacks. Hahaha crazy! I cannot wait to see the finale next week!

Lauren

Posted at 1:09 PM on March 19, 2012

i feel the same exact way.. i think Aria is A or the killer she seems soo suspicious! I think she’s involved in hurting Ali along with Ezra.. but then again all of the little liars seem suspicious.. can’t wait till tonight! <33

alease #1 pl fan eva

Posted at 2:37 PM on June 5, 2012

mona is A I cant wait to see Hanna have a melt down on Mona it is going to be so awsome <3