More Parents Legally Changing Kids' Names Because They Regret Their Choice — Would You?

Sun, March 11, 2012 9:58am EST by 7 Comments

Celebs such as Beyonce or Gwyneth Paltrow might not regret their unique kids’ names, but many unhappy parents stress are having their kids’ names legally changed. Talk about an identity crisis at age 5!

They aren’t as unusual as celebrity kids Blue Ivy, Apple or Kal-El’s monikers, but parents who name their little ones common names such as Taylor, Aiden and Sophia are rethinking their choice! “But then, you get to preschool and realize that little Aidan or Sophie will be one of five in their class with the same name… Or explain for the millionth time that no, little Taylor was not named after Swift or Lautner,” Rebecca Dube blogged for Today Moms.

Parents try to give their kids more original names then the standard Holy Bible monikers: Matthew, Luke or Mary. They don’t go as far as some celebrities, but their attempt to distinguish their child from the rest sometimes backfires.

Like how Charlotte Hilton Andersen, a mom blogger on Redbook, sees the Jonas Brothers phenomenon wreaking havoc on her 8-year-old son, Jonas. No love for the musical brothers from this little guy.

“The first time it happened, we giggled. But this weekend when yet another little girl tittered and asked my 8-year-old son Jonas if he was named after the Jonas Brothers, the only sound was my son’s sigh,” Andersen wrote. “‘Couldn’t you have named me Bob?'”

Don’t think celebrity moms aren’t partly to blame for parents stressing over finding an original name for their child.

“Children have always been objects of enhancement, but with celebrities and names now, there is a total objectification,” psychiatrist Dr. Michael Brody told TODAY Moms.

Do YOU have a crazy name that you or your parents wanted to change? Were you named after a famous celebrity?

Emily Morgan

More Hollybaby News:

1. Martha Stewart’s Daughter Alexis Welcomes Birth Of Second Child
  2. Family Kicked Off JetBlue Flight After Toddler Has A Tantrum
  3. Two Kids Found Living In School Bus Alone After Parents Jailed

courtney

Posted at 5:08 PM on March 11, 2012

there’s always been weird names in hollywood or not and being named after someone one of your parents admires or a favorite novel/play/film isn’t uncommon Melissa Newman’s youngest son Henry is likely named after Henry Gondorf the Character her dad Paul plays in 1973’s The Sting or Ophelia Dahl is named for Polonious’s daughter in Hamlet. changing a kids name or letting them do it when they’re old enough is not strange at all Leann Rimes is famous by her middle name as is Paul McCartney. Patricia Ann Reagan changed her last name to Davis in 1971 a few months after her 18th birthday or Whitney Houston’s daughter Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown is changing her name to Kristina Houston

Beckie

Posted at 1:33 PM on March 11, 2012

Our daughters names are Celes and Terra. The only thing we have run into is people spelling their names wrong or calling Celes Celeste which in her 6 years of being is the only thing besides spellling we have run into. I don’t understand why parents name their kids crazy names. The poor kid will have to be forever explaining what their name means or having to pronounce their name to people they meet.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted at 4:32 PM on March 11, 2012

Celes? That sucks!Also Terra means….land/ground :/

Melissa

Posted at 11:50 AM on March 11, 2012

I purposely only picked names that were not in the Top 50 for the year before each of my girls were born. Arianna was like #78 the year before she was born. I was a little horrified when I saw it climbed all the way to the mid 40’s the year she was born. So far we don’t know any other Arianna’s (thankfully).
My 2nd daughter’s name, Amelia, isn’t way popular right now either. Haven’t met anyone who says “Oh, I know someone named Amelia”. But she was born right afte the Amelia movie came out and everyone asked me if I named her after Amelia Earhart. Not a bad person to be named after, but kind of annoying to be asked.

MOM

Posted at 10:51 AM on March 11, 2012

We named our son after St. Jude Thaddeus. We love the name and it has meaning for us. What drives us nuts is when people immediately say, “Oh, he’s named after the song Hey Jude, or Jude Law.” We how proud of the name we chose and immediately correct people. Only once in his almost three years did someone realize he was named after St. Jude.
Luckily he hasn’t had anyone in school with the same name, but while I was pregnant, there were two other mother is my “mom’s group” naming their sons Jude.

tiki

Posted at 10:12 AM on March 11, 2012

on the flip side i gave my daughter an uncommon name. Kaycie. no other Kaycies her age I’ve met!

tiki

Posted at 10:07 AM on March 11, 2012

*sigh* i made this mistake when i named my son. I named him Jacob. not only a extermly popular name, but i constantly hear “like from twilight?”. doesn’t help that my cats name is bella (short for Aribella not isabella)

now he’s turning four, in daycare and there are 4 other Jakes. luckily he has middle names that can be used in lots of ways when he’s older.