'Once Upon A Time' Recap: Did Mary Margaret Kill Kathryn?

Sun, March 11, 2012 9:20pm EST by 19 Comments

One of the biggest mysteries on ‘Once Upon A Time’ just got very interesting.

The hunt for Kathryn (Anastasia Griffith) remained the hottest case in Storybrooke on the March 11 episode of Once Upon A Time, and with Ruby (Meghan Ory) as her new assistant, Emma (Jennifer Morrison) came across the most shocking piece of evidence yet: a box containing a human heart! Mary Margaret’s (Ginnifer Goodwin) fingerprints were found on the box, and while the viewers know that’s because of the Snow White story, the sheriff’s department isn’t privy to that kind of information.

The bright side? Mary Margaret is going to look so cute in her mug shot next week!

But the boxed heart wasn’t the only suspicious part about the case. David (Josh Dallas) was found twice in the woods, once wandering aimlessly, and a second time unconscious and bleeding from the head. What’s his deal? Was he sleepwalking? Could he have sleep-murdered Kathryn? Whatever’s going on, I’m pretty sure they’ll need more than a sheriff and her plucky secretary to crack this case.

Meanwhile, in fairy land (I’m still not sure what to call that place), Red and Snow were on a little hunt of their own for the Big Bad Wolf. And just when they thought they figured out the wolf was actually Red’s boyfriend Peter — Get it? Peter and the Wolf? — Granny let them in on a little secret: The wolf was actually Red! It was a fun little family trait that was passed down by her grandfather. You know, like having freckles or being really good at science.

What did you think of this week’s episode? Were you surprised by the twist with Red? Why was Dr. Whale being such a creeper when he was talking to Ruby? And who REALLY knows what happened to Kathryn? Hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Once Upon A Time updates

IW

Posted at 8:35 PM on March 13, 2012

Maybe Snow White managed to steal the Queen’s heart (as she seems to not have one) from the crypt. (They need DNA on the heart, LOL.)Isn’t David meeting MM at the bridge and that is why he keeps going there? If that was Kathryn’s heart, she’d still be alive as all the Queen’s boxes (it seemed to have a crest of some sort) hold hearts of living people…until she crushes them as she did with the huntsman.

yy

Posted at 6:55 PM on March 12, 2012

Dont u get it?? That heart was really someone that Snow White killed and buried it in the “Enchanted Forest” (Storybrooke) and it was uncovered in “Storybrooke” I mean after all they are the same person right?

Starjack

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 12, 2012

So who played Peter? Can’t find that credit anywhere, but that’s one man I’d like to see more of!

GoddessEshia

Posted at 6:08 PM on March 12, 2012

Jesse hutch

D. J.

Posted at 5:17 PM on March 29, 2012

ME TOO!!!!! PETER WAS HOT!!!

monkeys4freedom

Posted at 12:07 PM on March 12, 2012

I think Kathryn is still alive. Don’t know exactly why. I just do. I don’t think the queen made up that phone call between David and Kathryn because if she did, Emma would have known she was lying about it. I don’t know whose heart that was or why it had Mary Margaret’s prints on it. Maybe it was just Mary Margaret’s box and she sold it to Mr. Gold, who put a human heart in it. Who knows? I doubt Mary Margaret or David did anything wrong and I don’t think it was the queen either. That would be too obvious.

christine

Posted at 7:02 PM on March 13, 2012

You don’t think its the queen because its too obvious maybe thats what they want you to think. I think that it could of been the Queen because when she came in and was talking to Emma and David she was getting mad at Emma for not arresting any1 like she was the one but didnt want to be caught.

Suzanne

Posted at 8:50 AM on March 12, 2012

About Dr. Whale — seems to me he’s Pinocchio. His actions have all been immature, he’s lied with ease and he told Mary Margaret that he doesn’t worry about consequences. Plus, in the pilot at Snow & Charming’s round table discussion Gepetto said he and his boy could make the magic wardrobe — and the boy was sitting there with a carved whale.

The heart box was buried so badly it seems Regina wanted it found to frame MM. Mr. Gold will likely know the box origins, but he can’t exactly tell anybody, can he? I hope Frederick got to Kathryn before Regina!

Michael

Posted at 8:05 AM on March 12, 2012

So the first thing that struck me when the episode started was a very brief cameo by the original sheriff(I forgot his name) Graham was it? Why would they put him in after so many episodes by? Got me thinking instantly of Regina. Could she have had the same fate in place for Kathryn? Open her fathers tombstone, crushed Kathryn? Although a little repetitive…

What if that heart belonged to Sherrif Graham on the other hand. I read somewhere he’s meant to be coming back for an episode or two(it was a while ago, so no source)… This really could go anywhere.

Megan

Posted at 4:38 PM on March 12, 2012

Ahh good point! What would they show Graham for? Maybe because right before Graham was killed he was defying the queen and her plans, just like Kathryn was? (Don’t forget that the Evil Queen from the classic tale had a heart put in a box as well, another hint.) Or it may be because in ‘fairy tale land’when Graham(the huntsman) let Snow go, relating also to defying the Queens plan, just like Kathryn did by leaving and letting David and Mary Margaret be together. I think her quick way to silence the ‘problems’ caused by the two was to just kill them, by getting their hearts. Think about it, its exactly something she would do!

And about Graham coming back, I read from an interview with the actor who plays him that its true, he is expected to come back later in the show(Which actually could be around this time, since the interview was in December) but he said that Graham is really gone. That he only gets to come back as the Huntsman, meaning there is more to the Huntsman’s story before they were sent to Storybrook.

karla

Posted at 12:33 AM on March 12, 2012

I don’t think that the queen did it because the box was burried not put into her collection where har father rests. I think its totally planted and dr whale could possibly be from little mermaid…underwater sea life and all. Go ruby she’s fierce

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:55 AM on March 12, 2012

That’s true, the whale could have something to do with the little mermaid. At Paleyfest, they did say that Dr. Whale’s fairytale identity would be saved for season two… as would the mermaids.

Katie

Posted at 7:56 AM on March 14, 2012

My first thought with Dr. Whale was that he’s from Pinnochio. Like the mean whale that swallowed Pinnochio. I don’t think he’s a Good character. :(

Andrea

Posted at 10:54 PM on March 11, 2012

As soon as Granny showed where she’d been bitten by the wolf I thought it was her!! Wasn’t expecting it to be Red at all, but it makes sense that it’s hereditary. Did Granny take the fall after Red and Snow left?

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:55 AM on March 12, 2012

Right? I figured Granny would be the wolf, too! And I guess she kind of was…

Tahleen

Posted at 9:35 PM on March 11, 2012

I’m really hoping Kathryn’s not really dead, and we’ll find out next week that the heart wasn’t hers.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:27 PM on March 11, 2012

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s just another thing from the other world that somehow made its way to Storybrooke. Maybe that writer gentleman had something to do with it.

Alyse

Posted at 9:28 PM on March 11, 2012

I didn’t suspect Red to be the wolf, I liked that twist. I think it’s strange how David has those quincidental blackouts but I don’t think he killed Kathryn.I think the evil queen killed Kathryn. In fairy tale land and storybook she has all of those hearts in her collection so her taking Kathryn’s heart out is right up her ally. As for Dr. Whale I just think he’s a creeper in general.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:27 PM on March 11, 2012

Dr. Whale is super creepy, for sure. But I have a feeling his big story will have to do with Pinocchio, not Ruby. (Remember the whale in Pinocchio?)