'Big Bang Theory' Star Mayim Bialik's 'Unschooling' Parenting Style — Progressive Or Crazy?

Sun, March 11, 2012 9:18am EDT by 9 Comments

The ‘Blossom’ star explains her controversial parenting style for her two sons — including diaperless potty training!

Mayim Bialik doesn’t embrace her celebrity mom status quite like Angelina Jolie or Kourtney Kardashian. But in her new book Beyond the Sling, she brings a public face to the alternative parenting style of attachment parenting. “We’re accused of being martyrs and passive parents,” Mayim said during an event hosted by The Moms at Simon and Schuester publishing offices on March 7.

The goal of attachment parenting is “forming and nurturing strong connections between parents and their children,” according to Attachment Parenting International.

Mayim’s parenting style features co-sleeping in a large family bed, an “unschooling” style of homeschooling and diaperless potty training for her sons, Miles, 7, and Frederick, 4. Her husband, Michael Stone, wasn’t too thrilled about the latter.

“He thought this diaper free thing was totally crazy and he didn’t want to do it,” Mayim said of her supportive husband, who finally did come around.

Mayim may not publicize every moment of her or her children’s lives, but she won’t turn down a fan that approaches her on the street. “My son thinks it’s normal when people come up to me and take my picture or call me Blossom,” Mayim said.

And which of The Big Bang Theory boys does Mayim think would have benefited most from attachment parenting?

“Some would say Sheldon, but I think Leonard, because Leonard talks a lot about his mother. Leonard’s mom is the one that’s kind of dialing it in to be his attachment,” Mayim said about her co-star Johnny Galecki‘s character.

Emily Morgan

More Hollybaby News:

1. Snooki MUST Stop Drinking ASAP If She Hasn’t Already, Experts Say
  2. Jenelle Evans Impersonates Her Mom’s Accent — Funny Video
  3. Parents Forgot 3-Year-Old At Chuck E. Cheese, Didn’t Notice Until They Saw The News

Lana

Posted at 5:09 AM on March 10, 2014

She is awesome.Potty training is the best thing that you can do for your child.I was 9 months old when training was done in three days( Thank you to my daycare teachers.)Certainly she is a Nuero – scientist first and than parent. Parenting is not “natural thing” there is a science behind this profession.Raising a children to be independent at the very early age is the secret.I am so happy that Mayim came out and share this gems with us.Some moms think that they have more experience but I have to say sorry, but knowledge is king. Way to go girl.Please talk more help us spread the word about real parenting skills.
Love form Vancouver BC and Belgrade Serbia

Physical Product

Posted at 12:20 PM on April 1, 2013

I quite like reading a post that can make people think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

Jenny

Posted at 6:04 PM on December 16, 2012

Don’t use “Because I said so” as an answer to your children when they ask why. Explain your reasoning to them and they’re more likely to listen to you and do what you ask them to without arguing. Your children will respect you a lot more if you explain the reasons you have them do certain things.

Wendy

Posted at 11:39 AM on May 21, 2012

She has a degree in Nuero-science. I think that gives her the right to give an opinion. She is an actual genius not just an actress.

ralph lauren uomo

Posted at 3:02 AM on May 12, 2012

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Linz

Posted at 7:47 AM on April 10, 2012

I’m sorry but having two kids for five years doesn’t make you a Parenting expert….Maybe an expert at parenting your own kids but definitely not a parenting expert…Potty training a baby is just the parent who is trained to chase after the baby….And breastfeeding a 3-year-old borders on the fine line between nurturing and damaging…

lea

Posted at 8:28 AM on April 7, 2012

Wow I think its great. I love nursing my 6 month old and hope to do it until he is at least 2 maybe longer. You go girl :)

Ciara

Posted at 2:31 PM on March 13, 2012

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this. Personally, I do not/would not parent this way, but it’s what works for her. There is no right or wrong way and it seems she is doing a great job.

JENSPAL

Posted at 1:49 PM on March 12, 2012

Well, IMO, she’s doing an awesome job! Sounds like her kids will be well-adjusted and are being brought up to be nurturing, independent, and bonded with their parents without the use of glitz, glamour, fancy baby-nurses and expensive-non-essential baby gear. Cudos “Blossom”!