'Desperate Housewives' Recap: Someone Is Killed On Wisteria Lane

Sun, March 11, 2012 11:59pm EDT by 62 Comments

Spoiler alert! Don’t read on until you’ve seen the March 11 episode of ‘Desperate Housewives.’

Even though most of us knew about tonight’s major death a few days ago, the March 11 episode of Desperate Housewives was nothing short of heartbreaking. The final scene between Mike (James Denton) and Susan (Teri Hatcher) on the porch literally ripped me to pieces, as she thanked him for always being there to protect people, and he told her — for the last time — just how much he really loved her.

Unfortunately, no one was able to protect Mike as the mobster returned for a little afternoon drive-by. Time stood still right before Mike was shot, as his life with Susan flashed before his — and our — eyes. And his final moments, as he lay bleeding and dying with Susan by his side, is without a doubt the most devastating moment this show has ever delivered us. (That title previously belonged to the season one finale in which Bree literally wailed when she found out her husband had died.)

Of course, it really wasn’t a great week for any of the housewives. Lynette (Felicity Huffman) found out Tom (Doug Savant) is moving in with his new girlfriend, Carlos (Ricardo Chavira) told Gaby (Eva Longoria) he’s quitting his job, and Bree (Marcia Cross) accidentally ate a poisoned pie that Mrs. McClusky had baked to kill herself.

What was YOUR reaction to Mike’s death? Did you know about it ahead of time, and did that soften the blow at all? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts on the episode, and Mike’s shocking (or not-so-shocking) death.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Desperate Housewives updates

hatershater001

Posted at 7:25 PM on March 13, 2012

Honestly…this is horrible. Why would you kill off a major character this close to the end? why wouldnt u kill off someone no one cares about. Like renee or that stupid guy shes dating. This is the worst thing they could have done. Susan is probably the main character on the show, and now fans r left with her being a single mother to their young son. So stupid!!

Alisha

Posted at 3:07 PM on March 13, 2012

I don´t want the end of Desperate Housewives!! And I don´t want Mike to die, neither!!
Honestly, I was hoping for Jane to die, because she is destroying everything left between Tom and Lynette.
And I don´t know how, but I think this season is going to end up more worse than it already is, because of the death of Mike.

Anna

Posted at 9:47 AM on March 13, 2012

I was hoping for Jane to die…she doesn’t deserve to move in with tom…!I think Lynette and Tom should get back together…they fit perfectly!!!
I’m really sorry for Susann, but as some just said, she is really annoying since the alejandro-thing happend…

M

Posted at 11:51 PM on March 12, 2012

Isn’t it bad enough that it’s the last season? Why do they have to kill off mike, too?

Annie

Posted at 10:13 PM on March 12, 2012

Worse decision ever made on the show so far. And I thought killing Edie was terrible… How naive was I?
I’m sorry for only wanting to be entertained by a TV show. If I wanted expedience something artistic, moving or meaningful, I sure as hell wouldn’t be watching this show! Life’s way too dramatic as it is, I don’t need fiction to upset me some more, ty for ruining my evening, writers.
I hope the show ends this year so I won’t be compelled to watch it ever again or have the strength not to watch it, not even outta curiosity. I hated this decision, with a passion.

shannon

Posted at 9:49 AM on March 13, 2012

This is the last season…. stupid

A male fan!

Posted at 8:51 PM on March 12, 2012

Hello 2gether,
in my opinion this is a genious and honorable ending of Mike´s character: from the beginning of this show I´m fascinated that every dying character just dies how he/she lived in the show.

Remember Mary Alice who killed herself because she lived with a terrible secret.
Remember Rex who died alone and poisoned because he was unfaithful.
Remember Noah who came to a wetched end because he was a miserably guy.
Remember Victor who tried to kill Carlos and got a piece of fence in his heart.
Remember Nora/Ellie/Wayne/Patrick/Felicia (i´m not sure if she´s really dead)/Chuck/George/Mona who died crazy just how they lived.
Remember Edie who died in the center of attention just how she lived.
Remember Beth who killed herself because she lived like a psycho.
Remember Alejandro who didn´t deserved anything but death for his actions in life. And, and, and…

Remember Mike who dies just how he lived: helper and protector of the innocents. He deserved this lovely last scene with Susan on the half landing. Flashing back his life and fixing his feelings.

It´s an unbelievable honour for an actor to get such an emotional ending (just wait for the funeral)… It´s arts in my spiritual eyes!!

Lust but not least I will contradict the fact Susan´s cry (now and in the scene with the wedding dress too) was the worst thing. Always Remember Lynette´s cry for her children and for her husband after the tornado: atrocious unbelievable!!!

Amandine

Posted at 4:12 PM on March 12, 2012

WOW Just saw the episode and I did not see Mike’s death coming at all !! I don’t see the point in it either …
Why didn’t the loanshark scare him off first or kill Ben ?

The scene in the end was not very touching and I am really sorry my favorite couple of all time had to end up like this, in a 4 minute-recap of their relationship >.< Plus, the filming was pretty bad, ending up too abruptly.

I though the episode was not good on the whole and I agree with people saying the season is a bit disappoiting …

rosie

Posted at 1:07 PM on March 12, 2012

i have been watching this show since it first came on i hope they end it in great taste not tackie the girls have gone thriugh so much together please show them some class at the end will miss them

Cesar

Posted at 12:30 PM on March 12, 2012

I’m curious to know if we will have a blood bath ending, an everybody dies ending like in Six feet under or a Seinfeld ending with all the ladies in jail for murder.
I’m sure Mike’s death will prove relevant to the finale but still it was overwhelmingly sad, he was one of my favorite characters and if one of the husbands had to die I really thought it would be Carlos since he’s been so troubled all season, and quite honestly I’m getting sick and tired of his stupid epiphanies, I’m so glad Gabby gave him a piece of her mind, you do not play with your children’s future like that, what an idiot.

olivia

Posted at 12:18 PM on March 12, 2012

I am so disappointed with this season. The first’s season (1,2,3 & 4)were funny, great and really ”desperate housewives” now it’s just an other subject, completely ! Why did Mike, Edi Britt (the whore ! lol)… die ? They were great in that show ! Why did Gabriel loose her beauty? she isn’t as pretty as season 1,2,3.. excuse me…! Why is Bree not as perfect as she was ? Why is Lynette separated with Tom ? This show is going NOWHERE ! CRAP ! Can’t they start over till season 4 ?? PLEASE !!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:58 PM on March 12, 2012

I agree that Edie and Mike’s death were bummers, but I have to disagree with your stance on the other women.

If Gaby had kept her beauty, Bree had remained perfect, and Tom/Lynette never separated, things would be so BORING on this show.

Whitney

Posted at 3:43 AM on March 13, 2012

Do you not understand that people do change over time it’s been like what 5 or 10 years now? Would you look exactly the same in 5 years? Or act the same? And people do fall out of love even after being married for 23 years. Yes I am sad that mike died it sucks I loved him but in the end maybe they have done something tocmake it fit into their ending they want. The show wouldn’t be going anywhere if they had stayed exactly the same doing the same exact things. That would be stupid there would be no more story to it.

jess

Posted at 12:17 PM on March 12, 2012

DeniseJ

Posted at 11:43 AM on March 12, 2012

I knew Mike was going to die, but still was an emotional ‘ending’…very sad indeed! I really would have preferred it be Tom…he just plain annoys me!!

Night Nurse

Posted at 2:48 AM on March 13, 2012

I agree he is such a douch

Natalia

Posted at 11:17 AM on March 12, 2012

It should no longer be called “Desperate Housewives;” it should be called “Disappointing Housewives.” I’m tuning out early. I do not like where the story is going from Tom and Lynette to the superfluous added character, Jane, to ending Mike’s character when he should have had a more dignified ending. The writers are being very cruel to their characters and their housewives. Why not bring Rick into the picture so Lynette can show Tom? Why did Mike have to get involved in Rene’s business? Why did Rene stupidly invite a loan shark into her house? For the new housewife on board, she is foolish. She can figure out fractions to earn millions but she can’t realize inviting a loan shark into her house is dangerous? Geez! I hope GCB erases this terrible memory of a TV show!

catalano

Posted at 11:50 AM on March 12, 2012

i totally agree.
i wish they wouldve killed off susan instead. ive really started to dislike her and her whiny, erratic and very emotional behaviour. i fail to see the comical side to it, shes just soooo annoying now.

i feel bad for mikes son. but hey, theyve already written a replacement for mike, susans grandchild. she will fill the hole.

i wish orson couldve died instead of mike. at least that wouldve been karma. this is just totally stupid. its like the writers ran out of storylines and desperately wanted to shock the viewers. big fail! now the season is going to have an unsatisfying ending, just like ally mcbeal back in the day, when they wrote off a very important character.

Cesar

Posted at 12:38 PM on March 12, 2012

Remember this is showbiz, if they kill Susan or any other main housewife they will not be able to do a movie or a reunion show in the future.
I do agree Orson would’ve been a better choice then poor Mike (sniff!) but maybe is because he will be a huge part of the conclusion, that’s why we did not see him actually kill himself as he told Bree over the phone.

Jess

Posted at 12:08 PM on March 12, 2012

I think exactly the same thing. I thaught this season was going to be FUNNY, Lynette can have fun in a pub making Tom jealouse and Tom making Lynette jealouse. Not depressing and unfunny stuff! really it’s becoming crap desperate housewives!!!!

Ade

Posted at 7:54 AM on March 12, 2012

It seems I am one of few who actually didn’t know the death was coming. I used to read spoilers obsessively but as I’ve gotten older it just seems I’d rather watch the show and be surprised and boy was I surprised! I was in tears the whole episode at the mere prospect of it being Mike! And was devastated at that last seen! I remember in season 6? was it I said IF Mike married Katherine I was DONE with this show! And I meant it because I loved Mike but with episodes left I HAVE to see how it ends! Susan was my favorite from the beginning but over the years I’ve found myself at times being more Gabby and at times being more Bree but Susan will forever be my fave! and Mike will forever be my fave husband! SO sad to see him go! But I dont think his death will be in vain!
PS Im glad it wasnt done in the finale so we still have a chance at a happy-ish ending!

Adriana

Posted at 4:54 AM on March 12, 2012

Death is but crossing the world as friends do the seas;they live in one another still.For they must needs be present that love and live in that which is omnipresent.In this divine glass they see face to face;and their converse is free as well as pure.This is the comfort of friends and loved ones that though they may be said to die , yet their friendship,love and society are in the best sense ever present because immortal !!!
-William Penn,more fruits of soltitude(full version)

I cried for hours!My god when i saw his life flashing before him and how much he and Susan went trough so they could be happy now!And then i cried because that damned Loan ripped Susan’s happiness for which see fought so many years.Mike make her believe againg that there is something worth fighting for and now that she gained it an abomination comes along and takes away her most important thing for tha sake of money!my god i hope that somehow Susan will find happiness again!

Keisha27

Posted at 1:23 AM on March 12, 2012

I actually knew it was mike that was going to die. I also knew who would kill him (I just figured it out, very obvious) BUT with that being said, I cried like a baby and cried even harder when next weeks episode was shown and they were at the funeral. Susan’s cry just broke my heart.. I’m so upset, I didn’t want him to die .

tisha

Posted at 1:07 AM on March 12, 2012

I am bummed. Mike was one of the only authentic people on the show. Plus he was the Hunk and I enjoyed the way Terry interacted with him.

Maybe he won’t really be dead in the next season. Everything is possible on that street. Peace

T

Posted at 2:04 AM on March 12, 2012

I’m pretty sure this IS the last season..

Stephanie

Posted at 11:50 PM on March 11, 2012

Im completely devestated! I dont even wanna watch next weeks show, but I will (obviously lol)….probaly watching it in tears again next week…

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:50 AM on March 12, 2012

Next week’s episode is going to be CRAZY sad. :( TV funerals are the worst!

Teddie

Posted at 11:09 PM on March 11, 2012

I DVR’d it and it cut off the last scene…so I’m waiting for someone to post the video so I can see it. Anybody know where I can find it?
I didn’t hear about it before hand, so I was devastated to hear that Mike died…the last thing it showed was the mobster shooting him and then it cut off.

laurel

Posted at 12:01 AM on March 12, 2012

I DVR’d it too – and didn’t get to see it either – – Only saw Mike push Susan out of the way. Please link us to the ending so those of us that didn’t see it will be able to.

Thanks,

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:51 AM on March 12, 2012

1. I can’t believe you both made it to the episode without hearing about Mike’s death. I applaud you both.

2. I searched for the death on YouTube and no one has it up… yet ;)

Rick

Posted at 11:19 AM on March 12, 2012

You can watch the episode with the ending on Hulu. http://www.hulu.com…it‘s now posted there. watched it this morning before work…yeah…good way to start the work day…not!!!

Nic

Posted at 10:49 PM on March 11, 2012

HORRIBLE way to end the season!! JUST HORRIBLE!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:52 AM on March 12, 2012

Well, at least there are still a handful of episodes left. They could still turn it all around.

tiffany

Posted at 10:48 PM on March 11, 2012

I’m devastated and heart broken…. I wasn’t aware of mike’s death so it really shocked me…. he was my favorite out of all the husbands he was the best to me I really wish they wouldn’t had killed him off I thought that was bold….. he’ll be missed so sad :'(….. I LOVE THIS SHOW IT’LL BE MISS:-*

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:52 AM on March 12, 2012

Right? Why couldn’t it have been TOM?!

Steph

Posted at 10:42 PM on March 11, 2012

I knew it was coming, and I was still floored. I think the flashbacks definitely helped bring it home. When I knew it was coming, I was just waiting for that Teri Hatcher perfect scream/cry (like when Mike left her wearing the wedding dress)… and there it was…

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:53 AM on March 12, 2012

Teri Hatcher’s cry/scream was PERFECT! I really wish they’d given her more big moments like that throughout the series. She was (pun intended) dead on.

Tom Fox

Posted at 10:42 PM on March 11, 2012

I know it’s a dark show, but Mike’s death really took it to a new low. Senseless.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:53 AM on March 12, 2012

I think that was the darkest scene they’ve ever done in broad daylight (you know, minus the whole “Mary Alice killing herself” scene.)

Cesar

Posted at 3:36 PM on March 12, 2012

Remember the supermarket shooting? that was also in broad daylight and it was oh so shocking as well when Laurie Metcalf shot dead Tom’s ex and then shot Lynette in the arm. Until last night I don’t think there’s been another episode that made scream and jump so much.

judith

Posted at 10:40 PM on March 11, 2012

Omggggg!!!!!! It was devistating!! I have always loved mike ! Not only is he hot but he is a sweetheart ..why o why did they have to kill him off?! I’m sad & so so so disappointed!

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:54 AM on March 12, 2012

:'(

Amanda

Posted at 10:38 PM on March 11, 2012

I didn’t know, omg it tore me up as well though! I am very upset they wrote it that way. I figured it was going to be carlos. gaby can handle being strong, susan’s character doesn’t handle it too well. :(

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:54 AM on March 12, 2012

Kudos for avoiding the spoilers this weekend. And you’re right, Susan is going to fall apart I’m sure.