Family Kicked Off JetBlue Flight After Toddler Has A Tantrum

Fri, March 9, 2012 11:34am EDT by 37 Comments
JetBlue Flight

A JetBlue pilot refused to fly because a family’s 2-year-old threw a temper tantrum! The airline kicked the family of four off the flight!

When Dr. Colette Vieau‘s 2-year-old daughter Natalie threw a fuss on a Boston-bound JetBlue flight from the Turks and Caicos, her mom did everything she could to calm the little one. Natalie’s parents managed to get her seat belt fastened and held in place, but the pilot and a flight attended decided they were unable to take off until the family left, according to The Daily Mail.

The parents were forced to take Natalie and their 3-year-old Cecilia off the flight.

“We weren’t belligerent, drunk, angry, screaming,” Colette says. “We were just having a hard time struggling with our children.”

After being kicked off, the family was forced to stay another night on the island because there were no more flights that day. They had to book a hotel for the night and more flights to get home, which cost them an more than $2,000.

“Flight 850 had customers that did not comply with crew member instructions for a prolonged time period,” JetBlue said in a statement. “The Captain elected to remove the customers involved for the safety of all customers and crew members on board.”

Do YOU think it’s fair this family was kicked off their flight?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

More HollyBaby news:

1. Two Kids Found Living In School Bus Alone After Parents Jailed
  2. Josh Powell’s Siblings Are Trying To Claim Life Insurance
  3. Parents Forgot 3-Year-Old At Chuck E. Cheese, Didn’t Notice Until They Saw The News

Amaryllis

Posted at 2:47 PM on July 21, 2014

It you think the airline wasn’t right to kick this family off the plane you should view the video of the interview the parents gave afterwards on the Today show. The kids were crawling all over the parents and causing a racket while they were trying to talk to Matt Lauer. It was very irritating.

katie

Posted at 1:42 PM on July 6, 2012

From now on I will only fly JetBlue. Great job for kicking those brats off!

Frequent Flier

Posted at 1:49 PM on May 23, 2012

This is the SAME airline that thinks it’s fair to leave people sitting in planes on the tarmac for SEVEN HOURS!!!!!!!! BOYCOTT JET BLUE!

Kate

Posted at 11:11 AM on March 30, 2012

As I heard the mother described, the girl wasn’t “getting settled.” After finally holding down the two girls with all their strength — weren’t those the mother’s actual words — they got them seated and belted. So not only did it take considerable time to get the kids there, but considerable strength to keep them there. Can they maintain that the entire flight and keep those kids from running over to one of those red door latches and swinging from it? And there aren’t too many emergency flight choices on a flight entirely over water. An airplane is not a restaurant or other public place. I do think we should all be more sympathetic to children in restaurants. However, an airplane, especially a long flight, is like a shared hotel room where one person could risk everyone’s life by one wrong move. That’s unusual. And if the parents are wrestling desperately for so long to control their children, I wouldn’t feel safe.

Shirl

Posted at 9:45 AM on March 28, 2012

Some comments say control your bratty kids. My mom took care of it. But this was before all these rules were out there that even yelling at your child is child abuse. This is a problem society has created. You PEOPLE need to realize that children are learning to function in society. How do you expect them to learn if you don’t keep them around. They are not dogs. They are human. Let’s put you in a cage and see how well you function. No the pilot should have sucked it up not be so high on control that he kicked them off. Jet blue should pay for their expenses.

Jessica

Posted at 2:13 AM on March 24, 2012

If you have to hold down your two year old then you really shouldn’t be on an airplane. I know all the mommies and daddies are going to attack me now but whatever. If she was so afraid like you are all claiming then how is it doing her any good to be FORCEFULLY held down instead of removed from the airplane? If a kid is that scared to fly, find another way to travel.

Chrissie from Aust

Posted at 2:29 AM on March 13, 2012

Control your bratty children, I support the captain, about time society took a stand against the rest of us having to deal with their bad parenting, I saw multiple interviews with this family and in every one the kid was uncontrollable, so clearly there is a discipline issue here. Possibly the kid has some kind of ADD disorder and if that was the case Im sure they would have bought that up but they didnt, so clearly this is a case of BAD PARENTING.

Tiff

Posted at 5:46 PM on March 13, 2012

I so agree with you! I’m tired of people giving excuses for parents with bad parenting skills! You didn’t see me or my brother throwing tantrums, my mom took care of that quick and in a hurry!

Laura

Posted at 2:25 AM on March 13, 2012

I think what the airline did was very wrong. Everyone needs to think about it as if they were in that position and I’m sure anyone would be annoyed and angry if it was them being kicked off. I am a teacher and I know all children are going to throw a tantrum once in a while but kicking off that poor family just as the little girl got settled is disgusting. No one is perfect and it looks like we all might need to learn a little patience.

CURTIS BECK

Posted at 11:23 PM on March 14, 2012

I AM 70 YEARS OLD MY PARENTS DID NOT ALLOW ME TO ACT LIKE A BRAT THEY WHIPED MY LITTLE A–. I WISH I COULD THANK THEM AGAIN FOR BEING GOOD PARENTS NOT THE WAY MANY PARENTS ARE TODAY THINK LITTLE JOHNNY IS PERFECT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE
“FRANKLEY I DON’T GIVE A DAM”. WE HAVE ENOUGH OUT OF CONTROL NANCYS AND CLINTONS

Shirk

Posted at 1:32 PM on March 28, 2012

Sure old Man. Let’s see you smack a kid in the A$$ and see how fast you are thrown in jail. You can’t do things the way they did in the stone ages. In your days, children were seen and not heard. That’s why we have all the crazy ax murderes out there. Good job!

CURTIS BECK

Posted at 2:41 PM on March 29, 2012

DO YOU MEAN LIKE NANCY AND CLINTON

CURTIS BECK

Posted at 3:36 PM on April 3, 2012

YOUR AGE GROUP IS DOING GREAT. YOU HAVE THE KID WHO KILLED 2 BRIT TOURIST FOR NO REASON I HOPE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SAME HAPPEN TO YOU

addie

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 12, 2012

Question: would the airline still have kicked the family off is the toddler was screaming while buckled??

This is a horrible story. Yes I agree alot of kids are brats these days. What about the parents who are making a huge effort to have well mannered children?? So now they are punished too I guess. Oh and wacth what you say, Kharma is a B.

nicole

Posted at 3:40 PM on March 12, 2012

Good parenting always starts at home. Clearly this toddler is not well discipline. Flying nowadays is stress enough with all the security and etc, so why should i add my stress with your child’s tantrum. If you cannot control your child, do all of us a favor. STAY HOME! i want a peace and quiet flight!!!!!!

Jennifer

Posted at 9:18 PM on March 11, 2012

If the child was refusing to stay in their seat, then Jetblue was in the right to make them get off the plane.

Though, if it was just because the child was scared and would not stop crying then that is INSANE. The child was most likely scared and cranky and once the plane got in the air would have calmed down. You can’t make a child who doesn’t understand stop when they are having a meltdown.

Whomever thinks Jetblue was in the right to kick them off the plane because the toddler was crying obviously has never had to deal with a toddler. It has nothing to do with their child rearing skills. That is just an ignorant thing to say, but then again we know what people say about opinions …

Scott Swindeman

Posted at 7:10 PM on March 9, 2012

I’ve had children and I am applauding. Problem today is the little brats, curtain climbers, ankle biters are smarter than the parents. What ever happened to a good swat on the rear? Discipline the little brats!!! They’ll thank you some day.

Rachel

Posted at 11:20 PM on March 11, 2012

thats it beat the kid on the plane so she will stop crying because she was probably scared. If only everyone knew that hitting a kid for crying would stop the crying.

Jessica

Posted at 2:10 AM on March 24, 2012

You must have DELIGHTFUL children Rachel. You see discipline as abuse? How wonderful for you that you can raise kids who think they can do anything they want with no consequences.

Mannie

Posted at 5:01 PM on March 9, 2012

Must’ve been a pretty tough little 2 year old…………..

Sandy

Posted at 5:00 PM on March 9, 2012

Obviously anyone who is applauding this has never had children. Temper tantrums are a normal part of development for two year olds.

bill child

Posted at 4:42 PM on March 9, 2012

I’m gonna start flying JET BLUE!!!

Betty

Posted at 11:11 AM on March 12, 2012

Me too!!

Nick

Posted at 3:43 PM on March 9, 2012

BRAVO to JetBlue! I was on a flight from Turks in Jan on US Air and there were more heathen ankle biting BRATS running around the plane than I’ve ever seen. Parents don’t know or care to control their children in public (especially airplanes) and its refreshing for them to finally get BOOTED. I’m sure the $2K they spent rebooking was an expensive lesson learned, and I bet they keep better control of their goddamn BRATS next time they fly.

BRAVO Jet Blue!

Anonymous

Posted at 4:25 PM on March 9, 2012

You obviously have no experience with children if you think that you can “control” a two year old who is having a meltdown. Even the most well behaved children have meltdowns and it has absolutely no reflection on the parents disciplining abilities.

Emma

Posted at 5:32 PM on March 9, 2012

A meltdown is one thing, but having to be forcibly held down to stay in a seat is another thing. If the child is so out of control that they aren’t following basic safety rules, they have to leave. If anyone chooses not to follow rules, they can be kicked off. it’s really that simple.

Shirl

Posted at 1:36 PM on March 28, 2012

I hope that you are never blessed with children. I would hate to see a child with a stupid father.

tiki

Posted at 1:01 PM on March 9, 2012

thank god i fly west jet… I had my toddler screaming and kicking me in the throat during take off (she was freaked out) and they helped me hold her down and distract her until she could sit on her own.

I realize people don’t like to listen to screaming kids, and I’m sorry, but that’s part of anything public. I would be suing for the costs of the hotel.

I’m flying in june with my autistic 4 year old. I have no idea what kind of melt downs he may or may not have. but i hope if he does have one, someone will help instead of causing me more grief over it.

Ann

Posted at 2:04 PM on March 9, 2012

Good luck traveling with your son! I also have a son that Autistic and we really don’t know how he’s going to react to certain situations. I hope your flight is a happy one :)

Kate

Posted at 11:27 AM on March 30, 2012

I wish you luck. I have a lot of sympathy for parents flying with kids. But fly at YOUR own risk. A child out of control in a rsetaurant endangers no one. An out of control child on an airplane endangers everyone, so the risk should be borne by the parent, the risk of being kicked off the plane.

Safety first!

Rude

Posted at 12:01 PM on March 9, 2012

If that was me and my family I would say I’m not getting off and if you make me then you get me another flight and you pay for it your self. Hope they didn’t have a family emerancy at home.

Jack Smalls

Posted at 11:38 AM on March 9, 2012

Go Jet Blue!!!!! Why should the rest of us have to suffer because you can not control your children. Makes me want to fly Jet Blue all the time now.

Gigi

Posted at 1:17 PM on March 9, 2012

Agreed!!!!

annyomous

Posted at 3:47 PM on March 9, 2012

omg that is so rude. Just because she was screaming/crying. Not all flights with children are all bad some are where they fall asleep or play with their toys

Anonymous

Posted at 4:31 PM on March 9, 2012

Do you have children? Have you ever tried to “control” a two year old having a meltdown?

Rachel

Posted at 11:22 PM on March 11, 2012

maybe she was scared? ever think of that.

Kate

Posted at 12:29 AM on March 18, 2012

I have three children (3, 5, & 7) and I am actually with JetBlue on this one. And I’ve had to fly with all three of them (last year) from Toronto to Shanghai a few times on my own. Ugh – a real nightmare at times, but still manageable.

If my kids were extremely and dangerously disruptive, I would expect to be asked to leave.

In fact, my husband and I pretty much have a zero tolerance policy for upsetting other people. If we’re at a restaurant, for instance, and they won’t settle down (and are disturbing others), one of us will take the misbehaving kid outside until they calm down. If they all misbehave, one of us brings them outside while the other settles the bill.

Children fly on JetBlue all of the time and aren’t asked to leave the plane. The behaviour must have been quite bad to be asked to leave (more than an average tantrum).

It’s parents like this that give the rest of us a bad name.