Glenn Close Doesn't Support KONY 2012 Campaign: 'The US Should Not Be The Policemen Of The World'

Fri, March 9, 2012 1:27pm EDT by 11 Comments

HollywoodLife.com spoke to the award-winning actress about the campaign by celebrities to overthrow Ugandan dictator Joseph Kony, and she says we need to be careful before getting involved in other country’s issues.

Glenn Close finds the situation in Uganda shocking but that doesn’t mean she’s going to start using her star power to help bring down this dictator. HollywoodLife.com spoke with Glenn at the premiere of Discovery’s Frozen Planet, hosted by Peggy Siegal Company on March 9, and she had strong feelings on the recent interest in this international war criminal.

“I think [President] Obama is correct in that we have to be very careful. I mean, I don’t think we should be the policemen of the world…look what it’s done,” she said.

An organization called Invisible Children posted a YouTube video on March 5 to raise awareness about the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army, and in just four days, it already has over 55 million views.

“First of all, we don’t have the military to do it,” Glenn continues. “People should have their own governments, their own democracies, their own thing that is right for them, and the best thing to do is diplomacy and to promote a type of society that people will maybe want to have and that gives us a lot of pause for thought.”

We told you that Kony forces young children to join his army and kill their families, along with terrorizing the country. Celebrities like Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Oprah are in support of this campaign to bring Kony down.

In the same vein, Glenn also said she gives a lot of thought before she gets involved with charities.

“My main time for nonprofit is with an organization I formed against the stigma and discrimination against mental illness because there is mental illness in my family,” she told us. “That’s my main time. I also love animals, so I work for a organization called Panthera.”

— Chloe Melas

Loading video...

Mari

Posted at 9:07 AM on November 7, 2013

Hiya! I know this is kijda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
Would you be interested in exchanging links orr maybe guest authorinng a blog post or vice-versa?
My website covers a lot of the same topics as yours
and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from
you! Wonderful blog by the way!

sleeping tablets over the counter

Posted at 5:10 AM on April 29, 2013

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a
quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

can thue van phong tphcm

Posted at 6:24 PM on April 25, 2013

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your website?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Right away I am going to do my breakfast, after having
my breakfast coming over again to read further news.

malowanie ścian mokotów

Posted at 7:49 PM on April 21, 2013

Superb, what a webpage it is! This blog provides useful
facts to us, keep it up.

lala

Posted at 3:26 PM on March 9, 2012

um.ok seriously do you hear yourselves? what if your children were kidnapped? im pretty sure you wouldnt be saying this.this isnt just helping uganda but it is making a statement that this isnt right , and if we dont help then its basically saying that criminals everywhere can do what they want.obviously uganda doesnt have a strong government or this would have ended already but they dont so we should help. are they taking your money? food? no i dont think so, stfu and either support it or stop talking. everyone is endtitled to their own opinion but you have no hearts.

bryan

Posted at 11:36 PM on March 9, 2012

If America got involved every time something in this world was unjust, we would be fighting all over the world constantly. The major reason we have been involved in the Middle East for the past twenty years is because we wanted to “help.” As somebody who has personally been to Uganda, I can say from experience that our way of thinking and theirs is not comparable; we are viewed in a very negative light in most parts of the world and there would be much resistence if we got involved. We have to be very strategic, thorough, and smart about ever trying to step in and impose our values on another part of the world. What if another country didn’t like how we treated immigration and came in and imposed their values on us. Even though Kony is a horrible human being, the overall point is that US getting involved could very easily do much more harm than good if followed through insufficiently. That’s the overall message here- not that we simply “have no hearts.”

c

Posted at 3:12 PM on March 9, 2012

he’s a POS but she is right.. we’ve been trying to “help” these other countries and now everyone hates us.. it’s not our responsibility to dig these places out of the holes they have dug themselves into

bryan

Posted at 2:20 PM on March 9, 2012

Kony is a horrible excuse for a human being; however, I’m inclined to agree with her. We do have to be very careful before we get involved with any type of involvement with the country. The last time we got involved with a country internationally, we ended up with the Middle Eastern conflict we have today. It’s tough, and I certainly hope the powers in command can come up with an appropriate solution, but it’s tough.

caroline

Posted at 2:16 PM on March 9, 2012

and so she has a right!! This guy stopped kidnapping kids terrorise people in 2006 , so 6 years ago and USA just wants to put their hands of Africa lands its all about $$$

HammondTabitha

Posted at 1:34 PM on March 9, 2012

my friend’s aunt makes $83 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for ten months but last month her paycheck was $12123 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here CashLazy.com