'Desperate Housewives' Spoiler: Sunday's Major Death Revealed

Fri, March 9, 2012 9:26am EDT by 97 Comments

The victim’s name was leaked in court, and in true ‘Desperate Housewives’ fashion, the news was followed by audible gasps.

Well, folks, we all knew a huge death was coming up on the March 11 episode of Desperate Housewives – and now we know whose name will be appearing on the tombstone! While many viewers assumed we’d be bidding farewell to Mrs. McClusky, whose cancer is back and more serious than ever, the real victim’s name leaked during courtroom proceedings.

Drumroll please… The Wisterian dying this Sunday is: James Denton‘s Mike Delfino!

If you haven’t been following along, the cast and crew of Desperate Housewives is currently entrenched in real-life courtroom drama. Nicolette Sheridan, who played über-skank Edie Britt for five seasons, is currently suing ABC and the show’s creator Marc Cherry for wrongful termination… along with a few other messy accusations.

When executive producer George Perkins took the stand March 8, he was asked if Nicolette’s Edie was the important character ever killed on the show, to which George said yes — until Mike’s death this Sunday.

Reports say there were audible gasps when the shocker was revealed.

But is James saddened by his character’s sudden passing? Quite the opposite, actually: He sounds excited!

“It’s actually brilliant,” James tells EW.com of Mike’s death at the hand of the mobsters who threatened him last week. “[He] was such a shady character in the beginning. … In fact, Marc had this idea that Delfino might have mob connections, and that’s why his name was Delfino.”

Since the final season of Desperate Housewives has largely found its characters returning to their roots, it’s only fitting for Mike — you know, that gun-toting bad-ass we met in season one — to die in such a dark way.

As for the big goodbye scene between Susan (Teri Hatcher) and Mike, James says “it’s a really nice scene.” So have a box of Kleenex handy. Seriously.

What do you think of this shocking news, Desperate Housewives fans? Did you suspect Mike would be the one killed off, and will you be sad to see him go? Drop a comment with your thoughts on Mike’s death, and the ridiculous-ness of this whole trial.

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Desperate Housewives updates

Luke P

Posted at 4:08 PM on June 9, 2012

Why did they have to go and do something like that? At first, I thought one of the four women – Susan, Lynette, Bree, and Gabby – would’ve been the major death. But, killing Mike! After Susan had been through a lot! Got devorced from Karl, fight over Mike with Edie, losing Mike between season 4 and 5, then he going to Catherine (at least she got him back), a psycho threatening to kill M.J., her daughter almost being choked to death, her first husband dying, then, two seasons later, Mike killed. She has been through a lot, they have been through a lot. Never expecting that. I throught Tom or a housewife would’ve died. And, yes, I know all four housewives have been through a lot.

Sasha

Posted at 4:28 AM on May 26, 2012

I am really upset about mikes death. I know that james SAYS that he woz happy with it but i think he defo wanted to be there when they shouted cut for the last time. I hope he does find a show that is as popular as desperate housewives and where he has a similar character that DOESNT die. That would be good coz it wud be like he hasnt completley gone. And poor MJ i feel so sorrY for him :(

Emily Moore

Posted at 9:27 AM on May 24, 2012

absolutely devastated that mike was killed off. I am currently sobbing like a little baby. he was one of my favourites and that scene was possibly one of the cutest scenes ever! after last weeks episode I thought that it couldn’t be mike because it was too expected which made it even more unexpected.

Kira Cooper

Posted at 2:58 PM on May 16, 2012

I am very saddened and NOT happy with Mike’s death. He was one of my favorite characters. Mike and Susan were awesome together. I was shocked and a little in denial then all I could do was cry. My husband and I both watch the show on Hulu and I’m playing catch up with it. So after the episode I called my husband at work and said “I can’t believe they killed Mike. It’s not fair. He was so awesome”. I know James Denton is happy with it and now he’s free to pursue other pilot shows but it breaks your heart to see an awesome character killed off. I hope James finds another show that is as awesome as Desperate Housewifes and that makes him happy.

Fabio

Posted at 9:28 PM on August 5, 2012

I agree. I couldn’t accept his death yet. It’s too sad.

microsoft office 2010 serial

Posted at 9:51 PM on May 14, 2012

hi!,I really like your writing so so much! share we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert on this house to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Having a look ahead to look you.

Nancy

Posted at 2:59 PM on May 13, 2012

I was devastated!! He was one of my FAVORITE characters on the show and I really did not want him to go! Waiting to find out what I can see him act in next! I hope it’s a TV show!

Ella

Posted at 2:20 AM on May 1, 2012

I dont no y u guys hate edie so much! She didnt turn out that bad in the end and i dont think that she should of been killed off! Mike, like sum of you sayy, is the best male charachter the lane has ever had! I feel sorry for 9 yr old MJ growin up with out a dad it shud of been toms gf who died

Eve

Posted at 5:30 PM on April 30, 2012

I really wanna no y u wud kill off mike?!? He woz the best charachter the lane has EVER had and i have never cried so much in my life! They cud hav dun so much more other stories with mike rather than kill him! Bad choice! Not happy!!!! :@

Eve

Posted at 5:25 PM on April 30, 2012

Lost me as a viewer!!!!!
Killed off my fave charachter! (mike)
Made Terri’s last moments on the street sad!
Made lynette and tom divorce!
Mrs mccluskeys cancer!
Bree is under interrigation
Carlos is bein horrid!
Too far fetched! Fine UNTIL you killed mike
Why wud u ?!? : /

carla

Posted at 3:47 AM on April 30, 2012

I think its shocking how mike delfino has been killed off and I would really like it if he was still in it coz at the end of that episode he had flash backs of susan and it devastated me that he died and he lost all of his family

Dee Jordan

Posted at 4:49 PM on April 26, 2012

Mrs mc cluskey dying, lynette and Tom divorcing, carlos turning into a jerk, now mike dead. Sorry, not worth watching anymore.

MONARTA

Posted at 12:45 PM on April 26, 2012

wtf it should be Jane who died not mike!!! plz stop making the last episodes so horrific and sad make them happy! Mike didnt deserve to die!! I F***ING HATE THE f***ING LOAN SHARK

kayleigh

Posted at 6:02 PM on April 22, 2012

Arrrr no he dies I want toms girlfriend to go

Therese H

Posted at 4:51 PM on April 17, 2012

The series is hardly worth continuing to look at now without Mike! It sucks!!

Rachel

Posted at 9:33 PM on April 1, 2012

I agree. I’m mad abc cut mike out Susan and him they were a great couple.I feel bad for their son

alisha

Posted at 4:57 PM on April 1, 2012

I really keep hoping abc decides not to end dh and to bring mike back I’ve never cried so much in my whole life lol

alisha

Posted at 4:55 PM on April 1, 2012

I’m pissed I hate that mike died that’s the worse choose abc has ever made I’m still hope he is in witness protection or something and his death was a fake but since that had happened I quit watching the show cause I love dh so much I’m afraid its gonna get worse!

jackie

Posted at 11:40 AM on March 30, 2012

I say it was all a set up to make the mob think he was dead and will return to Susan later. Think about that for your next season!

jackie

Posted at 11:39 AM on March 30, 2012

Totally upsetting, they were an awesome couple, What the heck were you thinking ending Mike!!!

leesa

Posted at 10:59 PM on March 30, 2012

Next season? This IS the last season.

huhhuhdhdhdu

Posted at 3:29 PM on March 26, 2012

i didnt want mike to die i wanted toms new girlfriend to die shes anoying i was cring throughout the whole episode when he died and his funeral so sad he was such a great character

jimjob

Posted at 2:04 PM on May 8, 2012

I agree! Lynette should have let her choke! She didnt even say thank you! poor mike. Unfortunately it wasnt organised although that would have been fabulous! no he is deader than deadness. This murder is getting to drawn out they should hav finished it!

Lauren Brown

Posted at 8:50 PM on March 22, 2012

Im sad and mad to see desperate housewives end! besides greys anatomy i dont watch any other shows, no other show will b the same unless it involves the same characters… i love them ALL, :-) i cried like a baby when mike got killed so sad, cant believe this is happening..

Jenna

Posted at 12:12 AM on March 19, 2012

In shock! Mike was by far the best male character. Just bc he was a bad guy doesn’t mean he needed to die. He was the best guy and turned out to be the most loyal. And him and susan were perfect! Horrible idea! And as for Edi her character sucked anyways! She was the neighborhood slut! And no one could stand her. She should have been killed in a more drastic Way. The car thing blew! Look forward to the rest of the show!

Allie

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 17, 2012

I LOVE LOVE LOVE desperate housewives. Mike Delfino was my FAVORITE male character on the show and certainly the best looking one by FAR. I feel like crying after watching that. I feel like it really RUINED the show. How am I gonna watch re-runs and think “He dies later in the show??” It won’t be the same. I intended on watching the re-runs thinking, Susan and Mike are gonna be happy in the end. This is terrible and the worst idea ever. :( I really thought they were gonna kill of Tom’s gf. That wouldv’e been the best way to go. Granted, it was sad when Edie was killed off, but that is nothing compared to Mike. I just don’t understand. It’s all cause Nicollette Sheridan is suing the show that they feel the need to get rid of the most important male character ever so she can feel less bad?? Dumb!

Jamie

Posted at 10:27 PM on April 8, 2012

Desperate housewives is one of my favorite shows too. But it is just a show. I think you need other things to focus on in your life!

kaja

Posted at 5:38 PM on March 16, 2012

Why the hell!
I was freaking crying!
they totally tunied it with that. I lvoed Mike alot!
So, what’s next. Another major role that’s going to die.
My favourite tv show, ever killed the best man in the show. why? D:

Aliyah

Posted at 2:42 PM on March 16, 2012

Pile of crap!!!! Worst idea ever!!!! Ruined the show now that one of the best male characters has gone in such a way. Susan had already been through so much and after getting together then breaking up then having rough patches, killing him off was wholly unnecessary!!!! Really disappointment

happu

Posted at 5:50 PM on April 17, 2012

what were ye thinking brilliant c haracter ye shud have killed off caron or bree but not mike !!!! its not worth watching