Thank Goodness 'Grey's Anatomy' Creator Shonda Rhimes Doesn't Want Katherine Heigl Back

Thu, March 8, 2012 5:34pm EST by 59 Comments

Katherine expressed interest in returning to the series that made her a star, but creator Shonda isn’t having any of that nonsense — and I’m incredibly grateful.

Sorry Katherine Heigl — it doesn’t look like Izzy Stevens will be back on Grey’s Anatomy.

When TV Guide asked Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes what she thought of Katherine’s recent statement that she’d like to return to the hit medical show, Shonda gently, but firmly, explained that it wouldn’t happen.

“I think it was really nice to hear her appreciating the show. We are on a track we have been planning, and the idea of changing that track is not something we are interested in right now,” she said.

And all I can say is, Hallelujah! Izzy, as I’ve said before, was the worst character. She became romantically involved with a patient, stole a heart for him and after he died, had ghost-sex with him. In between the disastrous Denny storylines, she ALSO broke up George’s marriage, got cancer, married Alex and then left him because he expressed concerned over her medical condition.

And Katherine herself is no saint. After she won an Emmy in 2007, the next year she refused to submit herself, publicly bashing the writers for not giving her good enough material. And if that weren’t enough, she fought with Shonda over her contract, and once she was let out of it — she failed to show up for her last day of work!

Combining the actress and her character just makes her re-emergence on the show exponentially less appealing, and I’m glad Izzy/Katherine is gone for good.

– Denise Warner

More ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ News

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Derek’s Sister Returns & A Patient Gets His Hand Caught In A Meat Grinder
  2. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: Valentine’s Day Sucks, Even If You Are A Hot Doctor
  3. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Recap: What The Heck Happened To This Show?

Lori

Posted at 2:33 PM on June 11, 2014

BRING IZZIE BACK!!!!!

Nidhi K

Posted at 1:27 PM on May 4, 2014

What a crappy article! Izzie was one of the BEST characters in GA. She made mistakes but then so did everyone else on the show at some point or the other. I absolutely adore her with Alex. Hope Izzie comes back and kicks Jo out of Alex’s life, because Izzie Stevens is the love of his life. Alex and Izzie FTW!

Dia K

Posted at 4:15 PM on April 14, 2014

I sure do hope Shonda reads these comments! It’s inevitable, Grey’s Anatomy will hit an ebb & it would be a bad financial decision not to bring Izzy back. You know what they say about Money…….

Michelle

Posted at 4:51 PM on November 18, 2013

I would have all the interns killed in exchange for izzie! Even Burke should come back!

Giuliano (@giumz)

Posted at 4:44 PM on September 30, 2013

Izzie is the best character EVER! Her storyline is awesome, and yeah, we really want her back in the show!!! I don’t think that Izzie Stevens would open hand of her medical life because of “Alex Karev”. Katherine need a 2nd chance!!!

will

Posted at 2:23 PM on September 9, 2013

i hope she comes back too! It’s not late for her character to show up again and belive me it’s nice to have a humanbeing like izzy in the GA series full of robots!!!!
she was the best and i don’t think that this article’s writer knew what was saying! her return will make the show much more successfull than what they think!
I hope shonda lets her back ’cause her story is not finished yet!
and after all izzy and alex belong to each other!

Claudia

Posted at 10:10 AM on August 7, 2013

Izzie is BEST

ana

Posted at 6:50 PM on July 22, 2013

I hope Izzie gets back, she was my favorite character!

Nöelle

Posted at 5:31 PM on July 17, 2013

I hope Katherine Heigl gets back on the show because even though her character Izzy made poor decisions-cutting the LVAD wire, stole a heart, broke up a marriage that was over before she stepped into the picture… Every single character on the show has made poor decisions as bad as her’s and maybe even worse. Derek and Meredith violated hospital policies when they got into a relationship, Bailey wanted a patient to die in order to take his organs for a friend, Karev is a man whore who destroys innocent girls, Christina puts her job before her relationships and has had 2 abortions, Callie and Arizona are lesbians, which is a sin(no offense i love them both), Weber is an alcoholic, the list goes on and on, yet everyone forgave those characters for their flaws. Also Karev and the new girl from season 9 do not have good chemistry, therefore Karev and Izzy need to be together! I am just saying that Izzy should go back because much like the other characters she is not perfect, yet others cast stones at her.

Tommy

Posted at 1:24 AM on June 3, 2013

I’m sorry but as many people reading this article, i don’t agree at all. Izzie was a great character and it’s really a shame that she can’t come back. Grey’s Anatomy is really constantly losing audience, and having katherine back in the show could be a way to a solution to that problem.
I’m french, and even in france such a bad article is shocking.

Diana

Posted at 6:12 PM on May 15, 2013

I’m pretty sure this article is supposed to be a joke/ironic. because Izzy was the best thing on the show. except for Christina and Mer’s friendship which is bomb

izziealex

Posted at 10:21 AM on May 14, 2013

sorry, but I don’t agree with this article,
grey’s anatomy sucks without izzie and alex story :(

Sophie (@Herzerfrischend)

Posted at 2:14 PM on April 25, 2013

What the hell? Izzy is awesome, and Catherine Heigl is an great actor.. what a stupid text..

Hummy

Posted at 11:01 PM on April 15, 2013

Izzy made the show! They have to bring her back!!!

Maren

Posted at 7:00 AM on April 29, 2013

I agree!

will

Posted at 2:25 PM on September 9, 2013

me too!

Melissa

Posted at 10:04 PM on March 21, 2013

So you yourself said that she was a terrible charchter as far as story line and the ridiculous Lizzie antics but it wasn’t OK for the actress who played her was allowed to have the same concerns and express them. Hmmmmmmm

Diana

Posted at 6:11 PM on May 15, 2013

excellent point! exactly my thoughts

Jerfan

Posted at 5:29 AM on February 7, 2013

When I saw izzy I saw a 16 year girl who became pregnent in teenage time and for her child ! she let the baby adopted by a good family and one day she became a doctor! What I saw, u know !I saw a person who never give up.But in gray’s anatomy I think most saxy is Dr. Addison. Dude I miss her.

Julio

Posted at 10:35 AM on February 6, 2013

Hallelujah? Izzy is awesome!!

Pradipta

Posted at 1:23 AM on January 29, 2013

Ugh how horrible of who ever wrote this freaking crap! Izzy was like one of the most talented surgeon in Seattle grace! I just hate Shonda for killing all of my favorite characters! Mark, Lexie, George and for letting Katherine go away!

Tabby

Posted at 7:06 PM on December 30, 2012

You don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Katherine Heigl only wants to run back to Grey’s now because her career is in the toilet.

Jesse

Posted at 6:00 AM on December 30, 2012

Who ever wrote this is stupid… Izzie was the sh t… I miss her on the show… She’s better than most the actors they got now

alain

Posted at 11:20 PM on December 29, 2012

Frankly, I’d rather see Katherine back and Shonda retired.
Shonda has a peculiar and unsavory penchant for lopping off peoples body parts.
I’ll take Izzy any day.
You can have Shonda, Denise.

katherineheigllover

Posted at 5:09 AM on November 19, 2012

The show sucks without Katherine heigl n izzie/alex story
Shonda keep your ego aside n let Katherine come back
N seriously who wrote this article?

izziealex

Posted at 10:20 AM on May 14, 2013

agree, please let alex and izzie be together,
they’re the best couple, grey anatomy sucks without them :(

bbx

Posted at 5:11 PM on November 11, 2012

shonda rhimes is just a stupid cunt, i hate her.