Jessica Sanchez Says She Felt Whitney Houston's Presence On 'American Idol'

Thu, March 8, 2012 1:12pm EDT by 22 Comments

HollywoodLife.com chatted one-one-on with the finalist, who performed ‘I Will Always Love You’ on March 6.

In case there was any doubt that Jessica Sanchez was a frontrunner on this season of American Idol, her performance of Whitney Houston‘s “I Will Always Love You” on March 6 solidified her chances. “She’s gone, but while I was singing, it felt like she was there with us,” Jessica told HollywoodLife.com shortly after her powerful performance. “Just the life of the song and everything. I grew up listening to her.”

We also got Jessica’s thoughts on her competition — particularly what her strategy is for making it to the final round.

“As much as we’re competing with each other, we are competing with ourselves, and it’s all about topping our performance every single week. That’s kind of hard for me as I’ve been getting a standing ovation constantly. I’m not trying to sound big-headed or anything, but I’m really trying to fight for that every week. I really put my heart and soul in every performance.”

Watch Jessica’s performance below, then vote: Do you think Jessica will make it to the next round?

Loading video...

More ‘American Idol’ News

1. Ryan Seacrest Being Replaced By Neil Patrick Harris On ‘American Idol’?
  2. Will Ryan Seacrest Be Fired From ‘American Idol?’
  3. Scotty McCreery Is Youngest Guy To Ever Debut At The Top Of The All-Genre Charts With His First Album!

back acne cure

Posted at 3:29 AM on April 17, 2012

Thanks for another magnificent article. The place else may anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such information.

Roy

Posted at 7:46 AM on April 16, 2012

Stop idolizing Whitney houston. Whitney has become dust. Worship and exalt our lord and saviour Jesus christ. Accept Jesus christ as lord and personal saviour. Repent from your sins of smoking, drinking, sexual immorality, revellings and debauchery. It will lead you to hell. Com to Jesus. Accept the gift of salvation. Jesus died for you. Do not go to hell. Choose heaven.

Lily

Posted at 11:09 AM on April 14, 2012

Whitney houston is in hell. Whitney was a chain smoker, prostitute, drunkard, club loving immoral whore. Repent from your sins. Come to Jesus christ for the salvation of your soul. Whitney was a drug addict who polluted the minds of people and turned their hearts from God. Whitney has gone to join Michael Jackson in hell.

LAHBEELAH

Posted at 6:18 AM on March 28, 2012

ITS A PLEASURE HAVING YOU ON THE SHOW YOUR VOISE IS AMAZING HOPE YOU WIN LOVE YOU GIRL

Rachel McCoy

Posted at 5:38 PM on March 13, 2012

Lol PaulR1 that’s funny..me personally, I think lately te talent on these shows have been so mediocre..her singing can’t be compared to Whitney by any means and not trying to be mean, but it would be an insult to compare this girl to Whitney Houston. Not because she’s dead, but simply because whitney’s talent and voice can’t honestly be compared to anyone..she might win the whole thing if the little girl voters don’t get in the way and vote a trillion times for one of the boys. Personally, none of them spell out winner. They are all just mediocre

chena

Posted at 3:17 AM on March 15, 2012

sorry but your whitney is dead.. have you seen whitney’s latest performances on her concerts by the way? surely it is NOT mediocre hahahaha

PaulR1

Posted at 1:15 PM on March 13, 2012

jessica sanchez was on the apollo theater belting out songs,,,she was on AGT when she was 11 yrs old,,now she’s on AI expecting to win it all,,,,l had a paper route when l was 16 yrs old……

Alana Gomez

Posted at 2:38 PM on March 12, 2012

Hi dawn, I think what Susan was saying is there should be a comparison because there isn’t a comparison they are on totally different levels..she was just stating that when the competitors choose certain songs especially anything Whitney it’s almost always going to a either a disaster or people will compare. The fact of the matter is no one can pull off a Whitney song like Whitney..the Whitney tribute was a great gesture what she is saying and many others are if it’s not a Whitney tribute the competitors should shy away from a Whitney song because they really don’t do them any justice. Susan didn’t mean any harm at all I just think she wa stating the obvious that’s all. Jessica is good but you can’t compare her to Whitney nor other artists period

Linda

Posted at 8:42 AM on March 12, 2012

I want to know WHERE, WHEN and HOW exactly did you get that your exclusive quotes from Jessica Sanchez? Your articled stated: “Jessica told HollywoodLife.com shortly after her powerful performance.” In fact this statement was made few days before the TOP 13 performed, it was during the TOP 13 party NOT after her Top 13 performance. AI’s press policy for the contestants are quiet strict, so I find it rather difficult to believe that you were authorized to get an exclusive interview with her straight away after her Top 13 performance.

I think your article unfairly paints a talented 16 years old girl in a negative light and as sounding arrogant, this is evident your survey above.

From all the other live interviews videos and comments of people who know her, Jessica is a humble and hard working girl, but this is the kind of things (media trashing) she have to face. I she stay strong and hope people give her a chance.

Nina S

Posted at 11:02 PM on March 11, 2012

Jessica sang the best she could given the song, and it was done good…for her, but there is no comparison and this should be the last Whitney song for her and other competitors in any singing competition. I personal don’t like to hear people sing Whitney Houston songs and this was way before she died..I’ve been saying this for years. I personally think when the competition starts, the judges should give a speech advising them to leave Whitney Houston songs alone because no one does them that well..I mean jessica sounded good, but with that said, I’m still left saying it didn’t sound like Whitney or even close. Sorry but its the truth..gosh I’m gonna miss that lady, but she left enough good music to last a lifetime

Bruce

Posted at 1:28 PM on March 22, 2012

Whitney was an absolutely amazing singer, but the credit also needs to go to songwriters like Dolly, whom without, Whitney wouldn’t have been WHITNEY.
The same will go for Jessica Sanchez. Who’s new creation will she sing to become the greatest female pop vocalist since WHITNEY?

Susan Emerson

Posted at 5:29 PM on March 11, 2012

Ok Jessica killed it for AI competition but let’s make this clear, it didn’t sound like Whitney nor can you even compare the two at all because this poor child and anyone out now would get slaughtered by Whitney..to even compare them is humerous..whoever below posted that they cringe when people attempt Whitney song..well I agree I cringe also because they should leave Whitney songs out of the competition period because they are usually setting themselves to fail or be compared and either way it never sounds as good or even comparable to Whitney. That lady knew how to interpret a song and most people don’t write their own songs and if you do that’s sood, but if you don’t who cares as long as you sing them well

dawn

Posted at 12:05 PM on March 12, 2012

hi susan.
goodness…when i read the threads in these post, gosh it looks like someone is in a fight over something. American Idol chooses Ms. Houston hits for their theme to pay tribute to her. The intention was there. Sometimes, its all how people thinks or perceive ideas that makes the good seems bad. or even vice versa. Why do we have to speak for Ms. Houston? or even Jessica? Do you think Jesica thinks that she can be compared to Ms. Whitney? maybe yes and maybe no.

bottomline..Jesica is talented and I hope she works hard to achieve her dreams. And I belive Ms. Whitney serves as an inspiration not only to Jesica but to all to all the singers out there.

Jasmine

Posted at 5:16 PM on March 11, 2012

Amber I hate to tell you but this girl no where nearsound as good as Whitney and I’m saying this because I have ears not because I love Whitney..it dent come out easy and smooth like Whitney and I’m thinking you have to be yr only person in america that believes hers was compatible..and another thing, it doesn’t matter of Whitney did write this song or none of her songs bevause most of te artist we hear now doesn’t write their music..the thing that made Whitney talented was her ability to take a writers words and interpret the song how she wanted it to sound..it takes a genius to pull that off..dolly wrote it but Whitney made it a hit..she sung that song like no other and she wa able to do the same with every song she sang..sorry but this young girl can’t touch Whitney and she’s not the best we have seen on American idol by a long shot. I won’t even argue or continue this because it’s nonsense to even compare Jessica to Whitney, hell and even a couple of artist that’s out now. What’s the difference between Whitney singing her songs that she didn’t write to anyone elses..Whitney was a pure singer. I don’t care if she sang the alphabet or the phone book..she was a pure genius when she open her mouth..and to add to that, there a people who don’t quite no that Whitney had so much range with her voice that it’s ridiculous..go on YouTube and watch her sing opera..comparing this child with Whitney is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda civic..jessica is small time compared to her and it’s laughable and ludacris

Amber

Posted at 3:49 PM on March 11, 2012

Well Jessica Sanchez touched this song, and not only did she touch it, she sang it to perfection. She did this as well as Whitney. No disrespect intended to beautiful Whitney, but the truth is the truth and this girl is just as talented as Whitney, without all the baggage. Whitney, talented as she was, wrote none of the music she sang, and owned none of the rights to her music. I loved Whitney’s music in the early years. Although she sang this song, it was not “her” song. It’s a compliment to Whitney that others look up to her great talent and use her as the standard by which to measure other great vocalists.

BJ

Posted at 12:53 PM on March 12, 2012

WELL SAID !!!! WHY CAN’T PEOPLE JUST BE HAPPY FOR THIS AWESOME ! TALENTED ! GIRL !

Ashley M

Posted at 1:12 PM on March 11, 2012

Yeah those damn Whitney songs should never ever be touched..not because she’s dead but because shes Whitney and there is no one that can sing like her. Especially I will always love you..I have yet to hear anyone tackle and be successful hitting those high notes and holding them like her as well as even singing the if I or the and I parts of the song…If any of them actually studied that song they would realize that when she sing those parts she almost changes notes without taking a breath..I forgot what it’s called but they have done a study of this song and showed why this song is so hard to sing..just leave this song and all of her songs alone..no matter how well people sound I almost cringe when I hear anyone sing any of her songs.

dawn

Posted at 11:51 AM on March 12, 2012

please leave jessica sanchez or even Ms. Whitney Houston alone. Of course, no one can ever be compare to Ms. Houston. Who’s comparing who?!…Ms. Houston is a legend already. Jesica is only 16 yr old trying to make it to this world through her singing. And what I mean by that…is that, she is only 16 yrs old now, she still has a long way to go. But, please try to acknowledge a talent when you see one. And jesica has that. Please know that everyone in the AmericanIdol is there because of one thing….which Ms. Houston too has…. THEIR LOVE FOR SINGING!!

Melanie

Posted at 1:04 PM on March 11, 2012

Gbtw…honey I have to agree with you..I personally think they should take all of Whitney Houston songs out of all competitions..American idol, x-factor, etc because no matter how well they sing them it still doesn’t sound good comparedbto Whitney and your always left saying yeah it was good but it wasn’t Whitney. Jessica is good but that song should never ever be touched by anyone and I mean anyone. I have yet to hear anyone do any of whitney’s songs justice And I’m not saying that because Whitney was my favorite singer or because she’s dead, I’m saying that because it’s the truth. Honestly, I think Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey have kind of messed it up for singer that came after them as well as the singing competition because now there is a standard for what a great singer is..Whitney set that bar for everyone. She never had to change her image or take her clothes off.she never needed the fire works or lighting all she needed was a stage and a microphone and I almost feel sorry for all of the singers now because when you take Whitney voice and compare it to everyone that’s out now, Whitney blow them out the water everytime. She sang with ease..with all that said the judges in these shows should tell them that Whitney is off limits because she can’t be duplicated and they sound like crap attempting her songs. I honestly believe sometimes god brings people gifts that that are almost once or twice in a lifetime and I think Whitney was one. You could tell Whitney was something special from te minute she opened her mouth to when she looked her fans in the eye. I think god knew when he created that voice that it wouldn’t be with us long, just long enough to bless us with the music and for us to realize what talent is..I mean look at I will always love you. That song wa meant for her..she became most successful with the song and funeral ended with it. On YouTube there is a interview she did when she was at the American music awards an had won like 7 awards..at the podium after the awards a reporter yelled out if the song I will always love you play at her funeral..she wa shocked when he asked and in disbelief, but that just struck a chord with me when I saw it. RIP Whitney

bie tien tan

Posted at 11:00 PM on March 8, 2012

Ilove you Jessica Sanchez
I’ve already see you on tv of American Idol

gbtw

Posted at 2:03 PM on March 8, 2012

jessica is fantastic and i LOVED her performance just before this week… but, personally, i wish that the world would leave that song to whitney and dolly. of course jessica nailed it, but somehow, doing whitney’s song to me is like doing her husband… taking something that was hers. that said, jessica is phenomenal and did the song justice- just my personal opinion that i would like that song to never be sung by anyone but whitney and dolly (and me, but in the shower where nobody else is listening).

Eke Kalu Mba

Posted at 10:35 AM on March 8, 2012

Its better to sing an inspirational song with love and with everything in you. I wish her the best!!