Russ Says: American Idol's Elise Testone Deserves One More Chance To Shine

Thu, March 8, 2012 3:48am EDT by 18 Comments

The decision hasn’t been made yet but the way the night went for American Idol hopeful Elise Testone there is a serious chance that America will put her in the bottom two during the March 8 results show. Thankfully the judges make the final decision, and if it comes to having her stay or go, I really think she needs one more chance. Let me tell you why!

After watching the pre-taped segment with Elise Testone getting her original song ripped away from her for the iconic but difficult Whitney Houston classic, ‘I’m Your Baby Tonight’ by guest mentors Mary J. Blige and Jimmy Iovine I didn’t really think she was going to do very well. She was pretty much buried on the spot and not well received by Mary and Jimmy. Then she performed, and you could see the performance got the best of her.

To follow up the onslaught, the judges didn’t help whatsoever by basically continuing to mention she really didn’t pull off the song with Randy Jackson exclaiming, “It wasn’t your greatest performance.”

At first glance, I completely 100% agreed. The way the video segment was edited along with a not so stellar performance really didn’t do her any favors. But then I got to speak with Elise backstage and she was visibly disappointed that people thought she was bad. Even asking EXCLUSIVELY to myself, “Was I really that bad?” Talk about ripping your heart out.

This raw and real moment showed me the real Elise Testone and she deserves another chance because she really is in the competition to win it. Her vulnerability she showed me in that one statement was amazing. Her candor was uncanny and she really showed herself something I wish the audience was able to see.

Now I don’t know who should win American Idol this year and I think that Elise Testone has her work cut out for her. But I really believe she should have one more chance to shine after showing the genuine person she is to me when she never had to do that at all.

So HollywoodLifers, Do you think Elise Testone should be voted off or should she be safe for another week? Sound off below!

Loading video...

Russ Weakland

Kim

Posted at 9:23 PM on March 21, 2012

Elise is awesome. She has a amazing voice and style.

Karen

Posted at 10:20 PM on March 15, 2012

Elise is one of the best 5 voices on Idol. But, her attitude and her pouting, sulky, spoiled brat routine two weeks in a row, is irritating as all get out. nobody wants to vote for a “Diva” who thinks she is “entitled” to a spot.

Attitude Adjustment please!!!

Jumpin'

Posted at 11:39 PM on March 10, 2012

Elise’s voice is the real deal. So much raw emotion, no put on prefabricated product. Her notes were spot on, and she took a weak Whitney tune and added such soul to it. Her notes were spot on; the audience was on their feet applauding and screaming, yet the judges misjudged to the point that the media took the judges bait and ran with it in an effort to create controversy…otherwise, the show would be boring. Unfortunately, the multi-talented Elise was the victim of this prank, and I know she will knock ‘em dead next week! Music flows like blood through Elise, and those of us lucky enough to have seen her perform live can tell you she is a captivating entertainer that leaves you speechless and wanting more. You go, girl, no worries, real musicians love your vocal instrument…play it again, Elise!

LOU

Posted at 6:52 PM on March 10, 2012

If you ever saw Elise perform on stage like I have, You would realize that she really is a mega talent. Her Joplin songs will bring you to tears & she did a james brown tribute show that shows her talent. A female doing james brown to a standing ovation is remarkable. She’ll never be a Whitney but who needs another sound alike singer. Her style and talent is ELISE & ELISE ONLY, singing with emotion and her heart on her sleeve.If you see the Adele song performed by her, you will see what I mean. I’m sure she is nervous with an audience of multimillions but given the right song, she’ll shine brightly & may even be the one who pulls it out in the end. In any event, I’m sure that someone will give her a contract and she will soar in the charts; she sings, plays guitar & piano & HAS TALENT !!!

Bj

Posted at 3:46 PM on March 9, 2012

Elise absolutely deserves to continue in the competition. I saw her perform live in a Coastal Carolina Flower Power show where she ripped the heart out of Janis Joplin’s Another Little Piece of My Heart, NPI!!!! No doubt the other girls can sing very loudly, but the quality’s just not there. IMO, Elise is the best of the female contestants. I can never understand why the judges seem to rant and rave over singers who can bellow the loudest or do the most runs of notes, regardless of the depth or richness of the voice. Elise’s voice is sultry and sensual, rich and vibrant. I though she did a stellar job considering the song choices and having to since a song she didn’t know.

just me

Posted at 11:59 PM on March 8, 2012

didnt like her attitude. thought she would go. i watched other contestants and everyone had a gleem that lacked in her. if she can find that gleem and twinkle she is in. voice is there

gbtw

Posted at 1:51 PM on March 8, 2012

i don’t really think that anyone deserves one more chance at this point. there is too much talent and too many people that are going to have to go despite being incredible singers. she’s a good singer, but they all are pretty much… there isn’t even just one phenom (though jessica is getting the attention right now), the little blonde girl is another celine dion, skylar is already better than some existing country stars, philip is beyond this show already… deondre and the other guy that was saved… both are very special. oh, and the gospel guy that opened the show… i mean- there are just so many unbelievably talented people on this season, so i have to say that nobody deserves a second chance- even the phenom. there are too many deserving people to say that any one of them deserves it more than anyone else.

Rebecca

Posted at 1:40 PM on March 8, 2012

Elise more than deserves to stay in the competition. She was told just last week that she was one of if not the best in the competition, and one slightly off night doesn’t change that. Actually I didn’t even think she had an off night vocally, and certainly did not deserve the critique she received from the judges. Nor did she deserve to have her song choice changed by Jimmy, which put her at an unfair disadvantage. I hope America was fairer to her by giving her their votes, so that she’s not in the bottom two. If she is though, I hope the judges exercise some common sense and keep her in the competition where she belongs.

gbtw

Posted at 1:54 PM on March 8, 2012

she’s a good singer, but she doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning this competition with the competition surrounding her. she cannot beat jessica. she cannot beat the little blonde girl. she cannot beat philip. she cannot beat the gospel guy. she may be better than some of the others, but she isn’t going to win so i don’t think it matters if she leaves now or in 3-4 weeks.

Dudette44

Posted at 11:45 AM on March 8, 2012

Elise is amazing and should be given another shot. I hope America can see how incredible she is. She deserves it.

aerosimms

Posted at 11:26 AM on March 8, 2012

Elise is humble and mega talented. Her “off” performance is absolutely forgiveable after last week’s triumphant Adele number and the circumstances surrounding this week’s song choice. She will go far if given another chance.

babyann

Posted at 9:21 AM on March 8, 2012

Age ain’t nothing but a number for these loved-up A-Listers. My BF and I both think so! He is almost 10 years older than I .We met via~~–Agelessmeet .COM~~ a nice place for younger women and oldermen, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other! Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends:)

michael

Posted at 7:08 AM on March 8, 2012

Elise’s voice is ‘so dope’ as Mary B put it, she definitely deserves another chance. To be put on the spot, not having familiarity with song she was given, I feel, still did a really good job. Give her a break America…she deserves it.

Marilynn

Posted at 9:55 AM on March 8, 2012

I agree with Michael. I’ve watched this girl sing for years and she has the most unique and beautiful style. How can anyone really judge a person on just a few songs, especially a song that was not her choice. If she stays, I think people will see her real talents come to surface more and more each week. She’s got what it takes!

gbtw

Posted at 1:58 PM on March 8, 2012

she has what it takes to sell records and small concerts, but she does not have what it takes to beat the people she’s competing against in my opinion. the talent on that panel is unbelievable— and i don’t think elise’s appearance is going to put her over the top either. she looked awkward and too old in that dress, and her hair and makeup were doing nothing for her star appeal either. it all counts. bowersox wasn’t a beauty either, but she had her own style and that spoke to people— elise looked like someone had tried to put her into the costumes that had been picked out for the 15 and 16 year olds in the competition. it was all just way bad for me, and although i think she can sing and tell a story- she can’t beat what she’s up against. i would bet my bank account against her.

Karen

Posted at 6:43 PM on March 8, 2012

Wow.. You sound so vicious. Elise is the most talented contestant. Being a cute kid with a big voice is awesome but that doesn’t make a musician.Elise understands music…her whole life is music…not shopping at the mall.

Terrie

Posted at 11:01 PM on March 8, 2012

I totally disagree! Elise is the most talented contestant in the competition. Her voice is totally unique and she is beautiful and sweet. I don’t know why you are trashing her so strongly. Sounds like jealousy to me!

Jean

Posted at 3:05 PM on April 5, 2012

I disagree with you on a few counts. Jessica has an amazing voice but Gwen stefani pointed out that she gestures like a lounge singer and needs to develop her own moves. Jessica technically is great and I love her but she doesn’t really connect with the audience. The same with Deandre I love his voice but the connection isn’t there. These kids have tons of time to develop that side of their talent. They all are very talented and it is hard to say who could pull ahead in this contest but I think that the judges are definitely pulling for Jessica and Deandre and sabotaging Elise with overly critical judging