3-Year-Old Swallows 37 Buckyballs Magnets And Survives

Tue, March 6, 2012 2:17pm EDT by 1 Comment
Payton Bushnell Buckyballs

A Portland toddler is recovering after doctors removed 37 ‘Buckballs’ high-powered magnets from her intestines!

After little Payton Bushnell, 3, complained to her parents of flu-like symptoms, they took her in to the doctor, MSNBC.com reports. But they were in for a huge surprise when an X-ray revealed the 37 balls clustered in her stomach!

Payton has been in the hospital since Feb. 21, but doctors say she’ll fully recover.

She’s so lucky! Buckyballs are made of powerful “rare earth” magnets and marketed as stress-relievers for adults. Buckyballs aren’t intended for children, but similar magnetic toys were recalled in 2006 after at least one child died and 19 were injured.

Buckyballs released a statement on March 5 regarding the incident:

“Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.”

Other health stories on HollyBaby:

  1. Key Cancer Drug In Short Supply — Thousands Of Kids At Risk
  2. How Beyonce’s Dropping Her 40 Lbs Of Baby Weight
  3. Michelle Obama V. Ellen DeGeneres! Who Wins The Push-Up Battle?