'The Voice': Anthony Evans & Jesse Campbell Blew Away The Competition

Tue, March 6, 2012 9:15pm EDT by 38 Comments
The Voice Anthony Evans And Jesse Campbell

I had to fan myself after watching Anthony Evans and Jesse Campbell’s mind-blowing performance on last night’s battle rounds.

Was it just me, or was Anthony Evans and Jesse Campbell‘s head-to-head competition the most epic battling on The Voice ever? Sweet lawdy, I felt like I was being taken back to my Keith Sweat and Johnny Gill days!

In the two seasons of the show, this was arguably one of the most difficult choices for the judges to make in the battle rounds, as both pastor’s kid Anthony Evans and single dad Jesse Campbell’s renditions of Alicia Keys’s “If I Ain’t Got You” were both ridiculously amazing. I was cracking up in disbelief!

I thought Anthony’s high-pitched “Mariah Carey” moment at the end of the song was head spinning, and it made me want to jump out of my seat, but I totally get why the judges were ultimately won over by Jesse — who could resist his “ba-ba-ba-ba baby!” add-in? Pretty brilliant stuff, Je-Je-Je-Je Jesse!

But if it were up to me, I’d have chosen Anthony (by an inch) since I just naturally gravitate towards the underdog…and his humility was a bit more attractive than Jesse’s tendency to outshine himself with his vocal dramatics.

What say you, HL-ers? Did any of the other battles compare to Anthony and Jesse’s?

More ‘Voice’ News:

1. ‘The Voice’ Battle Round, Week 1: Christina Aguilera Finally Remembers Tony Lucca
  2. ‘The Voice’ Preview: Kelly Clarkson & Ne-Yo Go Head-To-Head In Battle Rounds — VIDEO
  3. ‘The Voice’ Recap: The Shields Brothers Were The Craziest Act Yet

jay cee

Posted at 12:12 AM on March 28, 2012

Someone should get the two of them to make a CD together.
One of the best duets I have ever heard.

perly

Posted at 10:53 AM on March 21, 2012

they are both great but jesse is more skilled and has a terrible range which means he can sing.anything. ive seen his videos in you tube he is a manificent singer my new favorite as well as adam lambert`s dynamic voice i hope jesse will win also hope anthony.will have a record deal.

Walter

Posted at 7:26 PM on March 19, 2012

I’m with you. When Jesse auditioned I was sure I’d just heard the winner of season #2; until the battle round which I thought Anthony took by a hair.

I’m still not sure what Christina was thinking. Doesn’t she realize this is a contest for the judges too? Why in heaven’s name, when she starts with the two best singers, does she guarantee one goes home in the first round?

Carlitosway617

Posted at 12:07 AM on March 17, 2012

I just want these two to get together and make some real music like we had in the 90’s

Reality Chic

Posted at 1:08 PM on March 14, 2012

Loved, loved, loved this battle. Best battle on this show ever, and best performance of this song, no? Tough break that they had to be cast against each other, but they would have to face off at some point, and the pairing gave my ears the most pleasure! Christina did choose the winner though. No question about Anthony’s ability, and he will be ok; but vs. Jesse, he’s a little greener in a number of ways and did hit a couple of slightly off patches during that performance. Unfortunately my yummy brown Common-lookalike, Joe-soundalike didn’t outshine Jesse because frankly, Jesse has mastered his art. His singing is so effortless and his voice and stage presence are commanding. He has the skill–the clarity, the diction, the pitch, the tone, the control, the dynamics, the support, the confidence & interpretation–to do whatever he wants vocally and creatively. One line from him gives you that, as evidenced in his audition. I knew it, the judges knew it. If there is anything I’d like to see from him going forward, it’s more range, preferably dipping down into a lower register. Interested to see how the rest of the show plays out…

@Eudie Pak: I was with you until…Keith Sweat?!?! Don’t get me wrong, I had a little Keith collection. Shooooot, my H.S. sweetheart was all about Keith; but he couldn’t really sing either.:P Keith was more about the vibe. I don’t think either of these gentlemen’s high caliber vocal ability should be tossed into the same barrel with him. Just sayin’…;D

Chelle

Posted at 8:58 AM on March 13, 2012

I would pay to see these two perform together. Really to have to choose one over the other is to disgrace the god given talent that both have been blessed with. Either choice would have been a strong choice for Christina. Maybe they will consider partnering up after the voice experience. First fan club would be mine and first ticket sale would be right here guys. You two are going places.

Cisco

Posted at 1:31 PM on March 11, 2012

I thought from the beginning that Xtina made a bad choice of putting those two to go against each other as that will mean loosing one of them, if I have those two, I can win the competition with any of them, so why will i put them to go against each other… very bad decision making there Xtina.. and I hope she is reading this..

leo

Posted at 10:58 PM on March 9, 2012

I wish that the voice had something like a wildcard and that anthony got a second chance!
It was way to early with someone with such huge tallent to be elliminated…

Sunshine6711

Posted at 7:53 PM on March 9, 2012

I don’t want anyone to get the wrong impression of Jesse Campbell. When I was growing up, having confidence in yourself was constantly and heavily instilled in me. I believed that was the same thing for Jessee Campbell. Now at our age, we show the world something that it is not accustomed to, having confidence in yourself. It seems nowadays confidence is mistaken for cockiness. I saw my niece talking about someone on t.v. being cocky and I asked her, Did you ever consider that maybe that is confidence, she probably just have a lot of confidence in herself. Here is a youtube video that I would like anyone to watch on Jesse Campbell if you believe he is cocky or for those who are down and out because someone does not recognize your talent…. Xfactor audition tips by Jesse Campbell.

Naomi

Posted at 10:24 AM on March 9, 2012

I grew up hearing Jessie on the radio and I’m so happy he has continued to allow God to use his wonderful gift. I hope he wins.

andrea

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 9, 2012

Their performance was beyond amazing….gave me chills just listening to their awesome rendition of the song….no losers here…both artists were vocally strong. I know this is not the last we will hear of Anthony. He is young, highly talented, and very likeable….it’s a matter of time before a label signs him.

Crystal

Posted at 10:59 AM on March 8, 2012

It was THE battle of the night and the BEST ever in The Voice’s short history. Any way to buy the duet? Googled the song but only a recording of Jesse is available on iTunes.

Chelle

Posted at 9:03 AM on March 13, 2012

The voice facebook page has a spot for purchasing any performance from I Tunes. I would check there. Incredible, Amazing, Sensational .. I just can’t find a word good enough to match that performance.

LF60

Posted at 10:14 AM on March 8, 2012

The only thing better would have been if Cristina joined them! Lord please tell me both of these amazing voices will be signed!!!

cecele semedo

Posted at 4:54 AM on March 8, 2012

Best battle ever! I just wish they would actually team up and do a record together. They can be our new KC and Jojo.

Fancy

Posted at 6:54 PM on March 7, 2012

Although I did enjoy both performances and felt that Jesse was the stronger singer, I will have to agree that Anthony has a better personablity. I can say that because I have actually met him and he is as humble as he is on Tv. Very nice man!!

Vonmar55

Posted at 9:37 AM on March 7, 2012

I thought they gave a great performance, but Jessie won it! For those who’s heart goes out to the underdog. There was no underdog in this round. Jessie and Anthony, both are amazing singers. In a competition talent and confidence matters and Jessie proved that. I think no one should mistake Jessie’s confidence and ability to execute his God given talent. If you can spend days sleeping in a car with your child and still come out of it with confidence, that shows strength. Congrats to Jessie Campbell and I hope he and Anthony can work together one day. Jessie, Jessie, Jessie!!!

Tricia

Posted at 10:36 AM on March 7, 2012

First, they both did an outstanding job. I don’t know why they thought Anthony was the underdog, fact is Jesse was. At the initial auditions, Jesse showed up with his brother and daughter. Anthony brought his father, Dr. Tony,a renowned preacher, Kirk Franklin. Second, people keep mentioning Jesse’s attitude. Anthony mentioned that Jesse was playing head games, based on what? Anthony barely made it through the blind audition because only Christina turned her chair around at the last minute. Jesse is hungry for this, Anthony can always throw his dad’s name around, and that has opened alot of doors for him. Bottom line, Anthony outdid himself and Jesse won.

Adriana

Posted at 6:02 PM on March 7, 2012

Jesse Campbell found his voice at the age of sixteen when he began leading songs with the church choir where his father, W.J. Campbell was Pastor. Immediately recognized as a unique talent, Jesse was soon featured on the recordings of gospel greats The Winans and Timothy Wright.

He can also throw his dad’s name around.

antonia

Posted at 11:20 PM on March 8, 2012

Sure, Jesse could throw his Dad’s name around, but that’s not who he is. Humility is a gift. He has had that gift since he was a child. And, when did it become so bad to be confident in who you are. When he’s listening to criticism or praise, he’s taking everything to heart, and trying to figure out how he can make himself better. From one who knows him, he has always been humble and thankful for the gifts that God has given him, and trust me, he has never abused God’s faith in him.

Mark Jackson

Posted at 12:51 AM on March 10, 2012

I dont think anyone should comment on someones personality unless they actually know them. Its called “The Voice” not “The Personality”. I was absolutely blown away by both these guys, but Jesse’s voice just had this velvetness about it. It was quite stunning.

Sunshine6711

Posted at 7:31 PM on March 9, 2012

Okay, Anthony does not have to throw his dad’s name around. Yes he was the underdog based on two things. All four judges turned around for him. Christina was the only was to turn around for Anthony and that barely happened. I was surprised, but his performance was nothing compared to what he can do. I suppose he was nervous. However he showed America what he is capable of with the battle round. When I heard him sing, I said that’s the Anthony Evan’s voice I know. The second reason, Jesse Campbell has been singing for years. I mean Jesse not only has a beautiful rare voice, he is also a very skillful singer. Jesse is not cocky, he is like Lionel Richie said, he is hungry. However, I hope Christina convey to him that in this day in age, more than any other….your image, the character you put off or how people perceive you matters alot. I would have chosen Anthony because I am a bigger fan of his voice than Jesse’s voice. However, based on who won the battle, I would have given it to Jesse. His voice just flows like honey, it flows, it’s very clear and crisp. He hits his high notes like Whitney Houston did in her prime with such ease. Both Anthony and Jesse has albums out. I am a big fan of Anthony Evans. I love his single meaningless. I have been a fan of Jesse since the 90’s. I love his song When you cry I cry and also he did a song on T.D. Jakes Sacred Love Songs called Lord I Lift Her up to You. Yes Tricia, Jesse was playing mind games, it was pretty much letting Anthony know I’m here, I’m coming and I am coming strong. I did not have a problem with it, they were battling against each other. I believe Jesse was showing a lot of confidence not cockiness. Two beautiful men, with beautiful voices.

me

Posted at 11:53 PM on March 6, 2012

They need to team up, it is like KC & JoJo

Meredith

Posted at 11:53 PM on March 6, 2012

I thought Anthony had the better performance because he was able to hit both high and low notes while Jesse stayed within the same range throughout the song, & plus Anthony just seemed to be a much more likeable person in general I wish Christina picked him instead :(

Liz

Posted at 10:56 PM on March 6, 2012

I thought Jesse was more at ease and incredible. But I loved Anthony’s high notes, and Jessies confidence was kind of a turn off. So I pick Anthony I guess, but they were both so good!

Cindy

Posted at 9:44 PM on March 6, 2012

“his humility was a bit more attractive than Jesse’s tendency to outshine himself with his vocal dramatics.”

Very well said. I couldn’t agree more.

matilda

Posted at 8:20 PM on March 6, 2012

Anthony is the winner in my book! He is so humble!

Fallon

Posted at 5:57 PM on March 6, 2012

I wanted Anthony to win so badly!!!!! He was so amazing. Maybe he’ll come out t
with another gospel album soon! I’m definitely a fan!

bobie

Posted at 12:31 PM on March 7, 2012

hehe, I guess you know he’s got loads of albums already and released one 3months ago? But if it’s “church-gospel” kind of sound then you may not find that on his albums.

OMG

Posted at 4:54 PM on March 6, 2012

I most definitely would have gone with Anthony. His voice is just amazing!!! Jaw dropping.

Cynderella

Posted at 4:25 PM on March 6, 2012

I personally have heard Anthony Evans live before at my church and he is SOOOOOO much better live and even better than what you heard last night. Its too bad he was off key in his blind auditions since that seems to be what Xtina was basing some of her descision on. I truly think the wrong guy was picked, I can only say that because I have heard Anthony Evans many times and in my opinion he is more talented than Jesse. Although, mad props to Jessee he was incredible!

Silverfish

Posted at 10:32 AM on March 6, 2012

OMG, they BOTH BLEW ME AWAY! Both men deserved to go on to the next round but Xtina could only choose one, so so sad to have to make that choice but I thought she picked the right one, I LOVED their battle, now that’s PERFECT talent!

charles johnson

Posted at 11:25 AM on March 6, 2012

LAWWWD HAVE MERCY JEEEESUS,SAINTS AND ALL THE ANGELS. ANTHONY AND JESSE I FAINTED, CAME TO AND FAINTED AGAIN!!!!!

Melvina

Posted at 4:46 PM on March 6, 2012

They were both GREAT!!!!! I play back their performance a few times.

vee

Posted at 8:18 PM on March 10, 2012

im sorry I meant Anthony ( im on an android)