'The Lying Game' Needs To Be Renewed For A Second Season

Tue, March 6, 2012 4:11pm EST by 30 Comments

In its first season, ABC Family’s twisty drama gradually evolved into one of my favorite guilt-free pleasures — and this can’t be the end!

Call me a sucker for a soapy twist ending, but I’m still reeling from last night’s season finale of The Lying Game. Just when I thought I’d figured out what was going to happen, along came Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) and Sutton (Alexandra Chando) to remind me that nothing is ever as it seems in Phoenix. And for their standout performances, I bestow both ladies with an Andy Award, which is like an Emmy Award — only more prestigious.

But the season’s final hour was merely a sampling of a show I’ve grown to love, and one I definitely need more of in the future. Seriously, why hasn’t ABC Family given this show a second season yet?

Not only does The Lying Game hit every one of the network’s targets right on the bullseye — there’s fashion, mystery, murder, and of course, a cornucopia of handsomeness — but it also appeals to a slightly more mature crowd. I was just as invested in Ted (Andy Buckley) and Kristin’s (Helen Slater) crumbling marriage as I was with the twins’ constant battle over Ethan (Blair Redford). And don’t get me started on Adrian Pasdar‘s brilliant work as Alec Rybek. That man played the devil in a suit, and he played it well.

But The Lying Game really found its legs in the second half of the season, when Rebecca arrived in Phoenix on the winter premiere. Don’t get me wrong, I was invested in the mystery before Charisma graced us with her presence, but there’s no denying her character’s role as the glue of the show. Suddenly all of the characters were connected. They had someone to focus on, someone to question, and someone the viewers loved to speculate about.

And just as the show’s intense story line picked up steam, so too did the ratings. Consistent improvements — the show hit series highs in January and February — showed just how hopelessly fans of the show were being sucked into the mystery, and how more people were joining the game every week.

What began last summer as a guilty pleasure about two long-lost twins ended last night as an ensemble drama with a permanent home on my DVR.

More Lying Game, please!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game updates

imeldalove

Posted at 3:51 PM on June 18, 2012

I love this film bt I dn’t really knw wot happen at the ending of season 2, is this film gona stop in season 2 pls we want the full seasons pls we wana knw wot truely happen how the fined their mum or wot truely happen at 1st y she gave them up, I love this film a lot plz is season3 out.

Tina

Posted at 10:34 AM on April 4, 2012

D: ABC Family seems to quit really good shows before they get a real chance :( I hope they don’t cancel it.

texmac12

Posted at 12:57 PM on March 19, 2012

No news either way on TLG yet?

lisha

Posted at 3:26 PM on March 11, 2012

One idea I’ve had about Sutton & Rebecca’s plan is maybe she knows that her biological dad is actually Ted so she brought Rebecca in to break him and Kristin up so they can get back together and have her biological family.

Square

Posted at 1:19 PM on March 12, 2012

This is my theory as well

ct

Posted at 2:08 AM on June 3, 2012

But Rebecca and Alec are married. Rebecca would have to divorce Alec and then marry Ted. That takes a long time.

Triangle

Posted at 7:04 PM on March 10, 2012

Oh my God, yes! Renew it!Even if they only take one more season to wrap it up, I NEED to find out what happens! And I’ve really fallen for these characters.(Laurel is my favorite, with Emma as a close second.)This is the only show on ABC Family I like. It absolutely needs to be renewed.

erika

Posted at 1:22 PM on March 10, 2012

PLEASEEE continue with this show! It’s so much better than Pretty Little Liars, or any other show on ABC Family, to be honest. If the channel would advertise the show more like they do with Pretty Little Liars it would be just as popular…

Han

Posted at 9:38 PM on March 9, 2012

DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW LIKE YOU DID WITH NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING. I swear to god.. this is such an addictive show, and if you cancel it people will be upset.. You cannot just leave us with a cliffhanger like that. Not again.

ALEJANDRA

Posted at 1:33 AM on March 9, 2012

I like your article, I agree with you. Alexandra Chando is a great actress. I love and hate at once. I see again some scenes of the sisters and I can not believe they are a single person.
It’s amazing scene when Emma slaps Sutton.
The whole cast is fantastic and I love them.

neka

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 8, 2012

yes i need to see some more , do emma no that recbecca is her mother ? when would it be back on #TeamEmma#

Brittany

Posted at 2:24 PM on March 8, 2012

Visit this page I created & like it to try and help get The Lying Game renewed, the more likes it gets the more ABC Family will see what kind of fanbase the show has and how many people want another season :] If you love the show as much as I do then I know you want another season, so what are you wating for? Go like the page and tell your friends about it too :]

We already know none of the other ABC Family shows have fans working this hard for another season, The Lying Game has the BEST fan base :]

kristen t

Posted at 10:54 AM on March 8, 2012

if they renewed jane by design for more episodes they definitely have to renew The lying game. That would be ridiculous if they didn’t.

Katie W

Posted at 8:13 AM on March 8, 2012

The Lying Game is my favorite show the cast are great and I love the story lines so far. Ethan and Emma are meant to be, they can’t just leave it like that there has to be a season two.

Johana

Posted at 5:17 AM on March 8, 2012

All I am gonna say is NEED SOME MORE !!

Brittany

Posted at 10:46 PM on March 7, 2012

help Me promoted my friend!!! https://www.facebook.com/RenewTheLyingGame

K

Posted at 10:18 PM on March 7, 2012

This show definitely beats The Secret Life and that show has been on air forever now!!!

Kayley

Posted at 10:18 PM on March 7, 2012

This show is so addicting! I think its well written. And the acting is decent. Especially on Alexandra’s part. There needs to be another season. Especially after that jaw dropping cliffhanger

Catherine

Posted at 10:16 PM on March 7, 2012

Some things are a little cliche but that being said it’s still my favorite show!!! I love the cast and characters and honestly had me more hook than Gossip girl or The Vampire Diaries. I love the setting and the overall premise of the show. The writers just need to pay attention more on character growth, instead of things just happening. There needs to be more of a buildup at times w/ certain situations, but other than that. I still love everything this show is about!!! I cannot believe they haven’t renewed it yet, are they mad? PLEASE RENEW HELLO!!!

marco

Posted at 6:57 PM on March 7, 2012

They HAVE TO renew this show! The final cliffhanger was so stunning and I want to know what’s going to happen now… What Rebecca meant, saying everything went as they plan?

Please abc family, give us 2nd season!!

Angel!!!!

Posted at 4:26 PM on March 7, 2012

help Me promoted my friend!!! https://www.facebook.com/RenewTheLyingGame

Ana

Posted at 3:46 PM on March 7, 2012

I cannot believe they have yet to renew it. They had Greek on for several seasons, and although I did enjoy that series it was definately not as popular and amazing and addicting as the Lying Game. It needs to be renewed and it has to be soon. You cannot keep us fans waiting for the verdict for such a long time. We have to be sure our new guilty pleasure will be back.

Kayla

Posted at 1:57 PM on March 7, 2012

I created a facebook page to try and help get The Lying Game renewed. If you love the show as much as I do and want another season go to this page http://www.facebook.com/renewthelyinggame and like it. Hopefully ABC FAmily will see what a HUGE fanbase the show has and how many people want another season and then renew it.

tee tee

Posted at 8:55 PM on March 6, 2012

Please bring The Lying Game Back for a second season.It’s a great series. It’s packed with drama
and just when you think you know what’s going to happen, something else changes. Keep The Lying Game going to help me after a long Monday’s work.

Cheers

SoSo

Posted at 5:49 PM on March 6, 2012

I couldn’t agree more. I love this show. As an adult it’s nice to also have some adult couples to get invested in. Ted/Kristen; Rebecca/Alec and a pleasant suprise was Dan/Theresa.

I’m looking forward to the triangle/quad of Sutton/Thayer/Emma/Ethan.

There has to be a full season 2!!!

Megan

Posted at 4:47 PM on March 6, 2012

I love this show so much!! If they don’t renew this show for a second season, I’ll be highly upset. The Lying Game and Pretty Little Liars are my 2 favorite shows on television (:

Hi