'The Lying Game' Season Finale Recap: Are Rebecca & Sutton Working Together?

Mon, March 5, 2012 10:43pm EDT by 115 Comments

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around the finale’s epic twists.

If you thought Derek’s killer was going to be the big reveal of The Lying Game‘s season finale — as I did — you were sorely mistaken. Though that discovery was shocking (and I’ll get to that), it was the March 5 episode’s final scene between Sutton (Alexandra Chando) and Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) that caused my jaw to hit the floor hard. Actually, it’s still on the floor, which is making it very difficult for me to type this recap.

After being pronounced husband and wife, Alec (Adrian Pasdar) and Rebecca’s wedding received a few surprise guests: the police! Sutton and Ethan (Blair Redford) had discovered the infamous photo of Alec holding the murder weapon and turned into the police, which led them to discover the blood-stained tire iron at the Rybeks’ house. It’s still possible that he was set up, but for now, he’s off to the pokey!

Now for the real surprise: When Rebecca entered the room at the very end of the episode, Sutton greeted her with a chilling, “Hi, mom.” Yes, that’s right. “Mom!” I know we all suspected (slash assumed) that Rebecca was the twins’ mother, but hearing those words come out of Sutton’s mouth actually gave me goosebumps.

Even crazier? Rebecca’s response: “Great job, Sutton. Everything is going according to plan.”

That’s right, people. This whole season, Sutton was merely pretending not to know what was going on, when she was secretly working with Rebecca. This obviously leaves us with a million questions, though we’ll have to wait until season two to get them.

That is, if there is a season two!

What are your thoughts on tonight’s epic twist, Lying Game fans? Do you think Rebecca is really the twins’ mother? Do you think Alec really killed Derek? And, most importantly, do you think we’ll get a second season to sort all of this out? Hit up the comments section with your reactions. I’ll see you there!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game updates

Old greg

Posted at 12:32 AM on March 13, 2012

Holy hack!!!!!! I deffinetly don’t think Alec killed derek, but he is still a bad guy(I don’t know how yet) but I’m gunna be soo hacking upset if there isn’t another season!!!!!!!!!!!!

cierra

Posted at 9:18 PM on March 12, 2012

i had a really good feeling that rebecca was the mom but i didn’t knowthat sutton was working with her. Emma and ethan make a good couple so does emma and thor so she could date either one. one of the best episodes yet!

hello

Posted at 1:29 PM on March 12, 2012

So i watched the second half of the first season again to look for clues and I believe Sutton discovers her mom is Rebecca while at the ranch. The reason is Sutton says to Thayer on the way back you re-exmanine your whole life and something like things change and you cant go back. Then when talking to Emma she says she needs to decompress from the ranch because compared to PHX its so much more real and then she says youll get there someday. I think that conversation is Sutton seceretly referring to their mother. Plus at that point Sutton doesnt really care if Emma has her life and Rebecca got a lying game note in that episode.

Jamison

Posted at 5:35 AM on March 11, 2012

I definitely figured out Rebecca was the mom as soon as she came on the show (the resemblance is uncanny) and figured Ted was the dad and the adoption was fake. But I NEVER would have guessed that Sutton and Rebecca were in on this whole thing together. You really don’t understand how true the title is until that last scene! Crazy! I want to watch it from the beginning now to see if you notice anything after knowing that!

laurie

Posted at 6:01 PM on March 10, 2012

DO NOT READ THE BOOK!!!!!

The book is nothing like the show. I started and needed to put it down, it got too confusing to do both. The book is way way different.

Wait till the show is finished then read it. you will be less confused by it.

????

Posted at 6:49 AM on March 10, 2012

That was the last of season two. There will be a season three coming up not a season two just a reminder that you mixed those up I guess you didnt watch season one if you got those mixed you.

lyergame

Posted at 8:34 PM on March 12, 2012

this was the second half of the first season they split their season so you get a little bit every few months and season two is starting soon.

Mz Untamed

Posted at 3:28 AM on March 9, 2012

This definitely needs a second season. Too many questions left unanswered.

hi

Posted at 3:21 PM on March 8, 2012

we want a season 2.

Angela

Posted at 12:47 PM on March 8, 2012

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW ON ABC DEMAND BECAUSE I WORK AT NIGHT .I LOVE IT; I AM GOING TO GET THE BOOK AND READ IT .I AM A ALL MY CHILDREN FAN AND I DO NOT WANT THEM TO END THIS SHOW LIKE THEY DID WITH A BIG CLIFF HANGER.THAT LEFT NO ANSWERS .THAT COULD HAVE BEEN ANSWERED BUT THE BIG GUYS TOOK IT OFF THE AIR WITHOUT THOUGHT. .PLEASE GIVE ALL OF US A SECOND SEASON. I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ON MY JOB DAUGHTERS WATCH ABC FAMILY AND THEY WANT TO SEE THIS SHOW DO IT RIGHT.GIVE US ANOTHER SEASON.

laurie

Posted at 5:59 PM on March 10, 2012

DON’T READ THE BOOK!! I started it and had to stop!!

angela

Posted at 12:20 PM on March 8, 2012

I was really happy when Emma slapped Sutton .She is a witch
there mother is no prize either.Rebecca and Sutton need to be brought down by Emma and Ethan and a few other people they have hurt with the little lieings they are playing game.AND WHO IS THE FATHER IF REBECCA IS THE MOTHER I MISS THAT.

LyingGameLuver

Posted at 11:57 PM on March 10, 2012

I think that Laurel’s Dad ( the one who had the affair with Rebecca — I forgot his name) is the father…

!!!!!!!!!!!ihatesutton

Posted at 8:37 PM on March 12, 2012

ummmm its kinda obvious they didnt say but cmon it so obvious that its ted which is why kristen ran out in tears.

a

Posted at 12:14 PM on March 8, 2012

Does everyone think Sutton and rebeccas intentions are evil or good?
I think this show is all about the mystery and showing good charcters doing bad things.

emma

Posted at 1:47 AM on March 8, 2012

My guess is that sutton found her real mother rebecca before finding her twin sister emma and rebecca told sutton about her twin sister emma and made emma switch places with her while she went to visit her real mothrler and that’s when they figured out a plan to get back at ted and alec for whatever they did to her in the past but my question is why ted kept one twin which was sutton and didn’t keep emma? And I think she married alec so that she can keep his money and what bothers me the most is why didn’t rebecca and sutton include emma in there plan all I have to say is this show better return for another season because the fine left us with so much questions that need to be answerd

Kate

Posted at 7:11 PM on March 7, 2012

Surprised about Rebecca being her mom? Nahh ! More like Ted being the dad, him knowing it, and keeping it from Kristen this whole time! I hope that Kristen finds out in episode two because i love the drama between her and Ted and i an very excited to see her reaction ! I reaaaallly really hope The Lying Game has a second season ! It would reaallyy suck if they didnt ! :(

apple

Posted at 3:27 PM on March 7, 2012

this whole thing that rebecca and sutton are doing is just one huge lying game.. who knows.. maybe rebecca is even playing sutton too.. right now.. all i can imagine she wants is ted (although alec is wayyyyy better looking that ted (even for old guys (;))

michelle

Posted at 10:00 AM on March 7, 2012

the question is how did sutton find out rebecca was her mother?
i want that to come out so bad that sutton has a twin sister i cant wait for that part to happen.

michelle

Posted at 9:37 AM on March 7, 2012

there better be more seasons or i would be so mad

Kate

Posted at 7:13 PM on March 7, 2012

I know ! That would be bad ! But i have heard rumors that it will start when pretty little liars comes back on during the late summer ! Cant wait ! ;) hah .

Janelle

Posted at 9:13 AM on March 7, 2012

Themma forever ♥

Liv

Posted at 9:12 PM on March 6, 2012

This is what i think: Sutton and Rebecca have a huge plan to make everyone sad because they are related so they might have the same “personality” ALSO…i think those notes that Alec got are from Annie Hobbs, because she seems mental (she’s in a hospital) and we havent seen her in the show for a while. Meanwhile, i thought Annie and Rebecca were sisters..i guess not because then their mom would’ve both named them Annie before Rebecca changed her name. Maybe they arent sisters. I know Rebecca and Char’s Mom are sisters. Annie Hobbs? Maybe! I can’t believe Alec was caught today. Actually, i think Rebecca killed Derek if she and sutton have a “plan” they’re both evil ive always known it.

Cara

Posted at 3:52 PM on March 7, 2012

Annie Hobbs was explained as the lady down the hall when the twins were born and she had lost her baby. She didn’t think it was fair that “Rebecca” gave 2 healthy babies away, so she went and took Emma from her adopted parents.

Kate

Posted at 7:22 PM on March 7, 2012

Yeah , but why would they want ‘revenge’ on everybody? Why i mean it doesnt make sense ! haha and I think the note was probably left from Sutton to make it look like it was sent from someone else. They were at the COuntry CLub and so far no one in the show besides Sutton has a membership or yeaah . haha and Ted is the one that sent Annie to a mental place. He has the power to do that. Obvi sense he sent Rebecca to L.A. and got someone to sign the birth certifigate . haha :) and Annie and Rebecca and Ted and Alec went to high school together so there is probably many more secrets we dont know. and i do think Rebecca killed Derek and Alec and Rebecca didnt get married so he couldnt have her testify although that might be what he thought he was doing, it was for Rebecca so he couldnt do it to her. and sense she set him up (if she did) he would not be able to be the police cheif or district atttorney or whatever could he ? So now she got him ‘fired’ , if that is what happens, then he no longer has the power and connections he had before to ‘take’ her away or get rid of her .. ;) And i really want to know what the ‘plan’ is ! HAha … Im going to read the books and maybe it will be similar !

Slimpick

Posted at 7:53 PM on March 6, 2012

I just want to say that if the show gets a 2ND season I want Sutton to live. Besides being so evil she is also the most ineresting character in the show, She is funny, smart, and keeps popping up all over the place. But I hope Emma ends up with Ethan and takes out both Sutton and Rebecca.

crystal

Posted at 7:43 PM on March 6, 2012

i am addicted to this show. i thought Rebecca was the mom but there are so many secrets going on. when you think you know the answer, you figure out you dont

Emily

Posted at 7:14 PM on March 6, 2012

I absolutely love this show!!! I can’t wait to see what happens next in season two!!!!!

jessie

Posted at 7:10 PM on March 6, 2012

i knew rebecca was their mom i mean they even look somewhat alike..which is creepy but ever since she came into the episodes i always thought she was the mom&she knew emma was pretending to be sutton. the whole emma&thayer thing..ewww! im a fan of emma&ethan and that will never changee! yeah thayer deserves it but ehh no. haha. the last scene..my jaw dropped&i pretty much felll off of my seat! it was so good! it left such a cliffhanger that if it doesnt get renewed i will be so damn pissed! they get good ratings&comments so i think its very likely they will renew it:) i just cant wait 6 months or soo if its renewed to watch a new episode..im going insane! Emma&Ethan <3 suttons an evil bitch…we all knew that…

Kate

Posted at 7:24 PM on March 7, 2012

I know ! I dont understand why they (rebecca and Sutton) dont want emma to know Rebecca is her mom ? That is just ruuude . haha :)

Stella_Marina

Posted at 6:46 PM on March 6, 2012

That Rebecca and Ted were the twins’ parents was so OBVIOUS… but it was a shock that Rebecca knows about the change and that she is conspiring with Sutton! What are they trying to achive? My theory is that they want to take revenge on Alec (’cause the fake adoption was his idea) and to make Kristen mad so she will leave and they (Rebecca and Sutton) can have his “family” back (Rebecca, Ted, Sutton and Emma).

I don’t think Alec killed Derek, that would be too easy for him. I think Rebecca did, that’s why she had the murder weapon a planted it on Alec’s golf bag.

I really hope there’s a season two! And that Sutton dies (in the books she is dead…) that would leave Emma with a bunch of things to figure out.

(Hope I explained myself clearly, English is my 3rd language…)

Stella_Marina

Posted at 6:59 PM on March 6, 2012

Also, I think Sutton and Rebecca have been working together since episode 1. We’ve never been told how Sutton found Emma… I’m pretty sure Rebacca contacted her and told her (why Rebecca waited 16 years to contact her children I don’t know…) And that’s why Sutton needed Thayer during her “investigation” to make her look innocent in the eyes of everyone else.

steph

Posted at 9:07 AM on March 7, 2012

In the first episode, Sutton told Emma that she found her in some seach. Which is pretty vague if you ask me. d

Rach

Posted at 5:20 PM on March 6, 2012

I acc had no idea that Rebecca was their mum, I mean I kinda did but I just thought she was part of the whole secret behind the adoption and not their mum!!!! it kinda makes sense tho, I think Rebecca’s doing it to get revenge on Alec and Ted; Alec because he’s in on the whole adoption thing and he’s seriously dodgy and Ted because of the circumstances of the adoption. but I don’t get what Sutton has to gain from it… apart from getting revenge on Kristen and ted for hiding the secret.and does that mean everything she was doing with Annie Hobbs was all a lie?? maybe its because Rebecca told sutton what really happened…. either way I don’t think Rebecca and sutton were working together from the beginning… I mean all that stuff about the baby broker..
AND WHAT ABOUT EMMA??!! I’m soo confused :P

des

Posted at 2:35 PM on March 6, 2012

Of course Ted the father why esle would he b so nervous besides the affair. I feel bad for Ethan and Emma. And then for thayer. Sutton is evil bit has a lot of anger and jealously. I wonder what her next plan is cuz she saw Ethan stirring at Emma and thayer hugging.she is clearing still into Ethernet. But I wonder of its because he loves Emma and not her. I just have soon many questions and want soon many answers.