'The Lying Game' Season Finale Recap: Are Rebecca & Sutton Working Together?

Mon, March 5, 2012 10:43pm EDT by 115 Comments

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around the finale’s epic twists.

If you thought Derek’s killer was going to be the big reveal of The Lying Game‘s season finale — as I did — you were sorely mistaken. Though that discovery was shocking (and I’ll get to that), it was the March 5 episode’s final scene between Sutton (Alexandra Chando) and Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) that caused my jaw to hit the floor hard. Actually, it’s still on the floor, which is making it very difficult for me to type this recap.

After being pronounced husband and wife, Alec (Adrian Pasdar) and Rebecca’s wedding received a few surprise guests: the police! Sutton and Ethan (Blair Redford) had discovered the infamous photo of Alec holding the murder weapon and turned into the police, which led them to discover the blood-stained tire iron at the Rybeks’ house. It’s still possible that he was set up, but for now, he’s off to the pokey!

Now for the real surprise: When Rebecca entered the room at the very end of the episode, Sutton greeted her with a chilling, “Hi, mom.” Yes, that’s right. “Mom!” I know we all suspected (slash assumed) that Rebecca was the twins’ mother, but hearing those words come out of Sutton’s mouth actually gave me goosebumps.

Even crazier? Rebecca’s response: “Great job, Sutton. Everything is going according to plan.”

That’s right, people. This whole season, Sutton was merely pretending not to know what was going on, when she was secretly working with Rebecca. This obviously leaves us with a million questions, though we’ll have to wait until season two to get them.

That is, if there is a season two!

What are your thoughts on tonight’s epic twist, Lying Game fans? Do you think Rebecca is really the twins’ mother? Do you think Alec really killed Derek? And, most importantly, do you think we’ll get a second season to sort all of this out? Hit up the comments section with your reactions. I’ll see you there!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game updates

A

Posted at 2:32 PM on March 6, 2012

I might be yelled at for saying this, but I kind of like Emma and Thayer together. They had a few cute moments and I hope that relationship continues. I don’t think that he has anything to do with the lying game or the murder. I believe he is just in the dark as Emma. My jaw also dropped after that last scene. It changes everything in the show. It left me with so many questions. If it doesn’t get renewed for a second season, I will be very upset.

des

Posted at 2:29 PM on March 6, 2012

I think Sutton and Rebecca started working together once Sutton saw her locket. She might of confronted Rebecca and demanded the truth. Don’t forget Sutton is pissed of at Ted and kristin from episode 1. She aslways knew they were hiding something about her adoption. So maybe once Rebecca explained to Sutton tht she was her real mother and had a plan. Maybe Sutton was all up for it. I just don’t understand why hide it from Emma. And do u really think Emma and thayer??? I hope she works it out with Ethan. I like thayer but Ethan and her click!!. I can’t wait for season 2. I’m reading the book and it six I love the show

Molly

Posted at 2:17 PM on March 6, 2012

I thought this would be the case, though the only thing I find implausible is how Sutton would have spent so much time looking for Annie Hobbs. I thought she would have been to lazy to go through the whole feigning thing.

Alex Chando is a really good actress.

Lauren

Posted at 1:27 PM on March 6, 2012

I so saw that coming. Well at least Rebecca being the twins mom. I think the father is Ted. Or at least I wouldnt be surprised. As for sutton and Rebecca working together I believe it. I mean hello we all knew sutton was up to something! Although I thought Alec was the murderer I think he was set up. At least after I saw that rebecca was working with sutton. I mean if she was innocent she would be worried sick about Alec but it seriously looks like he was set up!! As for Ethan and emma I don’t think they will get back together in the near future. If there is a future for this show that is… I for one hope there is at least

Dyon

Posted at 10:42 AM on March 6, 2012

I always had a feeling that Rebecca was the mother ever since she showed up. I also think that Ted knows that sutton is rebecca’s child but I don’t think he knew that she had twins. I think Alec covered that up for some reason. But what really bothers me is that Emma said she wanted to go to college but right now it looks like she is a high school drop out since she has been covering for sutton. I wonder if they will ever mention anything about that. But anywho back to the storyline I can see why Rebecca and sutton wouldn’t tell Emma about anything because she just wouldn’t be good with the lying game.

amb

Posted at 1:05 PM on March 7, 2012

I agree i always thought that was funny when Emma would talk about college and she technically is a missing person. If there is a season 2 and the twins get revealed they need to adress this.

Emma&Ethan

Posted at 12:53 AM on March 13, 2012

I think it seems equally likely that Rebecca is or isn’t in love with Ted. that’s what I’m trying to figure out because if Rebecca and sutton were working together then the two of them could have planned sutton finding the locket…but then again the way she ‘accidentally’ let it slip to Kristen about her and ted could make it seem like she’s trying to get Kristen out of the picture so that she can have Ted for herself. I don’t know, it seems like it could go either way. Any opinions?

Anushya

Posted at 10:16 AM on March 6, 2012

So how does Ted not know at all that Rebecca had twins? Unless Alec covered it up? Also I rewatched the end of episode 1….I think it is Rebecca that gets in the car and Sutton and her schemed the whole thing from the very beginning!!

amb

Posted at 12:52 PM on March 6, 2012

Yeah that kinda makes sense ,but Sutton had no reason to play decetive in La then I mean its not like its hard for Sutton to trick Emma. I dont thhink Sutton knew until episode 18 becuase thats when she stopped wanting her life back. Why? well because she found her mother so she doenst need the Mercers.Plus when Sutton is acting she gest sarcastic and Sutton had some moments were she acted real throught the season. Like when she had Emmma meet Annie Hobbs that seemed real. If she knew that wasnt their mother she would have acted like a smart ass the whole time.

hey

Posted at 9:02 AM on March 6, 2012

And here we thought Thayer might be the evil one. Now that we know Sutton and Rebecca are working together, I can’t help but realize that Sutton didn’t even fight to go to the wedding. Here she is complaining about how Emma was taking her life and now she lets her go to a big social event? Also looking back, I now realize that Rebecca rarely ever talked to Sutton, she always talked to Emma. I think the biggest question right now is when Sutton and Rebecca starting talking to each other. i just don’t believe it was since the beginning because Sutton would not go through all that just to call it a lying game. I think her death plot was also real. Also, now it is completely obvious that Rebecca wanted that picture to be found on her computer. I mean Sutton just “randomly” showed up and got the picture for Ethan.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:41 AM on March 6, 2012

“I just don’t believe it was since the beginning because Sutton would not go through all that just to call it a lying game.”

I don’t know. She’s pretty messed up.

Emilie

Posted at 9:01 AM on March 6, 2012

When is the next episodes coming back !!! I feel soo bad for Emma they are really working hard and sutton is messing with them when will the truth come out?

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:42 AM on March 6, 2012

The show hasn’t officially been renewed for a second season, so… It’s possible we won’t be getting any new episodes. Ever.

LPDB

Posted at 7:34 AM on March 6, 2012

I think this is all about revenge. I think Ted and Alec forced Rebecca to give up her babies and I think Rebecca is getting revenge on the men who took everything from her. First she sets up Alec for Derek’s murder and then destroys Ted’s perfect family and marriage. I still don’t know what Sutton has to gain by working with Rebecca…I will be so disappointed if there is not a 2nd season!!
Also, I think Alec is the only one who knew there were twins (and Rebecca, obviously). I think he arranged everything….giving one baby to Ted and Kristen and the other up for adoption. Probably all for money. I really think Ted is in the dark about there being two girls….and I do believe he is the father!

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:42 AM on March 6, 2012

“I think Ted and Alec forced Rebecca to give up her babies and I think Rebecca is getting revenge on the men who took everything from her.”

So, does that mean we’ll actually root for Rebecca if the show comes back? Interesting…

Mela

Posted at 2:37 AM on March 6, 2012

I think that rebecca and sutton are teaming up to get they love., i think the real sutto. Found out a few when she was saved from the lake. Poor emma and suttons adpoted mom get the bad side of the stick only because they are so greedy with getting the men they love back. Ph i hope there is another season. They cannot get their fams wrapped up only to cut them off permanently. Excuse if this makez no sense. Im on my cwll typing. :-)

Jane

Posted at 1:15 AM on March 6, 2012

Oh my god, what a mindf*ck. Like everyone below, I long suspected that Rebecca was the twins mother and Ted the father, but Rebecca and Sutton were working together?! What?! I’m still a little suspicious that Sutton knew the ENTIRE first season, but wow what a bombshell. And I can’t help, but feel bad for Kristen.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:43 AM on March 6, 2012

“what a mindf*ck.”

Those three words sum up this episode PERFECTLY.

Anny

Posted at 12:42 AM on March 6, 2012

Btw i thought it was amazingly astute for Rebecca to make sure she first marry Alec and than get him arrested…best way to get all his money. Until tonight i thought Alec was the master puppet, but at the end he was a puppet himself…who would have thought it?

Kim

Posted at 12:41 AM on March 6, 2012

I knew Rebecca was their mom. Pretty sure Ted is the dad. He was interrupted during surgery with a phone call that she was pregnant. He knows Sutton is his but I can’t see how he doesn’t wonder about Emma especially with suttons mood swings. Maybe he doesnt even know there are two. I think Rebecca could have killed Derek. She knew alec would go for the wedding thing and she needed a way to wrangle home in. He goes to jail, she gets rich. I so wish they would tell Dan and the lawyer that there are two of them. And I would love to see Tess face when he finds out if he doesn’t already know. Ted is just really stupid to let Alec use him and he deserves to hurt a little.

Anny

Posted at 12:35 AM on March 6, 2012

I can’t believe they ended the episode like that, i have no patience SIGH

Min

Posted at 12:29 AM on March 6, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE this series…its a keep you on the edge of your seat kind of show !! Definitely have to make a season 2! I knew Rebecca was their real mom, Ted is the real dad, but not sure at what point Rebecca & Sutton started working together. Maybe its some kind of revenge plot on Alec..who knows ! ? Can’t wait for Season 2 …come on ABC Family you know you want happy viewers !

Tabitha

Posted at 12:17 AM on March 6, 2012

SO GLAD you wrote thus! My DVR cut off the last minute and I KNEW something big happened. Not surprised Rebecca’s the mom, but shocked they revealed it already.

Nicole

Posted at 1:11 AM on March 6, 2012

My dvd machine did the same thing with the recording! I saw Rebecca and Sutton in the same room and I ran up to my computer to see what was said.. I remember thinking on many occasions how “alike” rebecca and sutton seemed, their mannerisms even.. Amazing job!

TV FAN

Posted at 5:33 AM on March 6, 2012

OMG MY DVR CUT OFF ALSO..I’M SUPER PISSED..IM LOOKING FOR IT ONLINE NOW.

Jim

Posted at 11:01 AM on March 6, 2012

secrets

Posted at 12:00 AM on March 6, 2012

I still think Thayer had something to do with all of this. We will see.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:03 AM on March 6, 2012

Same!

texmac12

Posted at 9:03 AM on March 6, 2012

I thought Thayer was behind everything since episode two. But no longer. Thayer has been played, just like us viewers, this entire time. Remeber when Alec accused Emma being Sutton for encouraging Thayer to relacate to Los Angeles? Even then Thayer had already started to be just a pawn in the alliance of Sutton/Rebecca. Whow…..

secrets

Posted at 1:16 PM on March 6, 2012

If you watch this episode carefully and the some of the other ones there’s many clues that Thayer is part of the bad guys. I wouldn’t believe he’s working with Rebecca but he certainly hates his father. You could tell that he wasn’t surprised by the planted evidence in this episode. He was also trying hard to convince Mads that their dad is guilty. I still think he played a part in the murder scene.

dovaniz

Posted at 11:54 PM on March 5, 2012

Think Rebcca is Her (the twins) mom can’t wait until it reveal it gonna be a big shock

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:04 AM on March 6, 2012

Let’s hope we GET the reveal! (Don’t forget, season 2 isn’t guaranteed… yet.)

Jes

Posted at 11:46 PM on March 5, 2012

I knew/had a feeling the twins were from Ted & Rebecca’s affair. I am floored however that Sutton knew the whole time. I am wondering why Rebecca (not so much Sutton) would be playing her own daughter (Emma) though? That’s what has got me all twisted up. Obviously Rebecca & Sutton stem from the same, being so malicious & for lack of a better term, evil, but what role does Emma play in this whole game & what could Rebecca & Sutton be gaining from using Emma as a pawn?? I would assume it was Rebecca that originally contacted Sutton, & that’s how this whole thing started, resulting in Suttons original contact of Emma, but I’m just curious how anyone could viciously use their own daughter for anything.

Slimpick

Posted at 11:40 PM on March 5, 2012

Sutton knowing Rebecca’s her mom has to be a recent development because Sutton went to visit Annie Sorrel thinking that was her mom. And ended up in Juvie.
So who bailed out Sutton?
When did Sutton know Rebecca was her mom?
How does Emma fit into the picture?
And Why is Sutton and Rebecca hurting the Mercer women including Emma and getting off on it?

These are just a few of many questions I have.

Jes

Posted at 11:48 PM on March 5, 2012

I actually think Sutton has known from the gate, that Rebecca sought her out & began this whole thing. “Finding” Annie & juvie I think was just all part of the game. I am curios also tho about Emma’s role & what the other 2 are gaining.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:04 AM on March 6, 2012

I agree, I think Rebecca reached out to Sutton before the show started. Sutton isn’t that smart. So how else would she have put all the pieces together at the start?

texmac12

Posted at 8:59 AM on March 6, 2012

Episope one, at the end Sutton is waiting in the car, the door opens, and now I’m sure the person getting in was Rebecca. From Episode one, the lying game as played us viewers just like the characters in the show. It was brilliant! Best TV Soap Drama ever. Rebecca is the new J.R. Ewing.

Michele

Posted at 11:27 PM on March 5, 2012

Omg I knew Rebecca was their mother and all along I had a feeling Ted was their father. There better be a season 2, they can not leave us hanging like that. And if there is a season 2 I wonder will they bring back Char.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:05 AM on March 6, 2012

Honestly, I feel like Char’s not coming back. She’ll be one of those TV characters that disappears for no reason and is never heard from again… which is really weird, considering Rebecca is her AUNT!

nik

Posted at 11:18 PM on March 5, 2012

yes i totally suspected rebecca was the twins mom i also think ted is their real dad the result of their little trist which may also mean ted already knows about emma maybe not about that switch but that she exsists i had no idea sutton had already figured it out though i cannot wait until next season!!!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:06 AM on March 6, 2012

“i cannot wait until next season!!!!!”

Yes! Keep thinking positively! We need a season two!

Emmy

Posted at 11:18 PM on March 5, 2012

THEY HAVE TO HAVE A SEASON TWO. I knew from when Rebecca showed up that she was the twins mother and that Ted was their actual father. I am assuming that Ted has no idea that Sutton is actually his, and that he has another child. I honestly do beleive that Alec is Dereks Killer. Every week is more secretive but also more answers answered. BRING ON SEASON TWO please

vickey

Posted at 11:02 PM on March 5, 2012

My dvr caught off the last minute or two, but i knew that Rebecca, was Sutton and Emma’s mom, from when she unexpectly showed up at the end of the first half of the season. And she said she was annie but goes by rebecca. Then when Alec said to Ted, only part of the truth. I hope a new season comes out i wsant to see kristens reaction, to finding out that she raised the baby that was really teds from the affair.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:06 AM on March 6, 2012

Kristin got the s**t end of the stick in all of this. No matter what happens, she’ll be sad. :-/

Stephanie

Posted at 11:00 PM on March 5, 2012

I am going to be infuriated if they don’t do a season two!!!! INFURIATED!!!!!!

vickey

me five

texmac12

Posted at 8:54 AM on March 6, 2012

Me six

Meagan

Posted at 11:55 AM on March 6, 2012

Its funny because we all knew that Rebecca was the real mother and that Sutton is a twisted little coneiving witch, but just hearing those words come out of their mouths in the last scene was still a complete shock! Im also mad i didnt think of Sutton having been in on a lying game with Rebecca the whole time because it makes perfect sense!!! If theres no season two im gunna go bananas o_0

sue