'The Lying Game' Season Finale Recap: Are Rebecca & Sutton Working Together?

Mon, March 5, 2012 10:43pm EDT by 115 Comments

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around the finale’s epic twists.

If you thought Derek’s killer was going to be the big reveal of The Lying Game‘s season finale — as I did — you were sorely mistaken. Though that discovery was shocking (and I’ll get to that), it was the March 5 episode’s final scene between Sutton (Alexandra Chando) and Rebecca (Charisma Carpenter) that caused my jaw to hit the floor hard. Actually, it’s still on the floor, which is making it very difficult for me to type this recap.

After being pronounced husband and wife, Alec (Adrian Pasdar) and Rebecca’s wedding received a few surprise guests: the police! Sutton and Ethan (Blair Redford) had discovered the infamous photo of Alec holding the murder weapon and turned into the police, which led them to discover the blood-stained tire iron at the Rybeks’ house. It’s still possible that he was set up, but for now, he’s off to the pokey!

Now for the real surprise: When Rebecca entered the room at the very end of the episode, Sutton greeted her with a chilling, “Hi, mom.” Yes, that’s right. “Mom!” I know we all suspected (slash assumed) that Rebecca was the twins’ mother, but hearing those words come out of Sutton’s mouth actually gave me goosebumps.

Even crazier? Rebecca’s response: “Great job, Sutton. Everything is going according to plan.”

That’s right, people. This whole season, Sutton was merely pretending not to know what was going on, when she was secretly working with Rebecca. This obviously leaves us with a million questions, though we’ll have to wait until season two to get them.

That is, if there is a season two!

What are your thoughts on tonight’s epic twist, Lying Game fans? Do you think Rebecca is really the twins’ mother? Do you think Alec really killed Derek? And, most importantly, do you think we’ll get a second season to sort all of this out? Hit up the comments section with your reactions. I’ll see you there!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game updates

used handphone

Posted at 3:35 AM on April 9, 2013

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Emma

Posted at 3:52 AM on January 27, 2013

Okay this is what happened REBBECA IS THE MOTHER OF EMMA AND SUTTON
SUTTON NEW THIS WHOLE TIME SHE AND REBECCA WERE PLANNING TO RUIN LIFES FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO LIED AND HURT THEM IN THE PAST
SUTTON KILLED DERIK

Truth

Posted at 9:15 PM on October 18, 2012

To me i think Sutton knew about Rebecca before switching lives with Emma because after she switched lives, she went to L.A and probably met up with Rebecca and came up with their plan. I think the reason they did not tell Emma is because Emma got so attached to Kristen and Ted and they became like her new family. Emma also has a big mouth, she probably would have told someone about Rebecca’s plan if they would have told her.
Alec probably knew something which was why he sent Derek to kill Sutton. That is probably the reason why they wanted to get rid of Alec. Ted is Sutton’s father so him breaking up with Kristen would give Rebecca a chance to have him all to herself.
The reason for breaking up Ethan and Emma was so Sutton could have him all to herself.

judeas

Posted at 6:11 PM on August 11, 2012

the story is realy catching.i dont think its the twins mother bt annie is.possibly sutton wants rebecca and her dather to get back together am waiting for season two eagerly.

Sutton Mercer

Posted at 12:14 PM on July 9, 2012

Okay so I didn’t know that this was the end of the season and now I’m dying! I cannot wait for the next show to come out and it’s killing me how bad I want to see it!! I think that Sutton is just evil and so is Rebbeca! I also think that Sutton is just calling her mom because like Rebbeca might try to win Suttons dad over or something! It’s a crazy show! I LOVE IT SOOO FREAKING MUCH MANNN!!!

Sutton Mercer

Posted at 12:10 PM on July 9, 2012

OK so the Lying Game is like my ultimate FAVORITE show and I absolutely CANNOT wait for season two! I didn’t know that, that was the end of the season. I’m DYING!!!! I hate waiting for stuff because I’m not very patient but sometimes I can be. Now is NOT a patient time for me!!!

chantal

Posted at 3:06 PM on July 4, 2012

I think that Sutton worked with Rebecca before Emma came into the picture. Wasn’t it strange how that locket was so out in the open with “the love of her life’s” photo in it? And which maid would reveal such personal details to a stranger over the phone? Sounds like both Alec and Ted pulled a nasty on Rebecca all those years ago and now she’s out for revenge. She probably shared whatever happened with Sutton and they started working on this revenge together. Poor Emma was just a convenient pawn in their plot. As for Rebecca being the biological mother, that’s questionable. Who was the woman that Alec has locked up. She knows about the twins BEFORE they got separated as depicted in her paintings. The truth will be revealed . . . in Season 2. ;-)

stephanie

Posted at 3:44 AM on June 30, 2012

there will be a season 2, it will air in january, THANK GOD! im addicted!

jennifer

Posted at 7:26 AM on June 28, 2012

i realy enjyed this series ope there wil be a second season

Mich

Posted at 1:58 AM on June 8, 2012

Oh My God.. I’m totally addicted to the Lying game, I can’t wait for the 2nd season and what will gonna happened to Emma and Ethan, it is kinda frustrating that they’d broke up because of Ethan still has a feeling for Sutton.. Can’t wait their love story,..

keke minor

Posted at 8:55 PM on May 30, 2012

when will season 2 of the lying game come out?

stephanie

Posted at 3:43 AM on June 30, 2012

season 2 airs in january

Julianna

Posted at 7:57 PM on April 6, 2012

OMG!!!! I cant beleive what i just watched thats jaw dropping im like a huge fan and i saw the people that plays emma and ethanin Galveston and i just wish the season finale came sooner so i could ask them about it!!!!

yvonne strode

Posted at 8:57 AM on April 5, 2012

When is Series 1 to be completed?

anonymous

Posted at 7:59 PM on April 6, 2012

the season one is completed that was the finale (season 1 episode 20)

crist

Posted at 9:50 AM on April 4, 2012

there definitely should be a season 2.i mean the show is really interesting and the plot is twisted so it’s getting really intense.i jes hope for more seasons and see how Sutton get to know Rebecca and what Rebecca’s point on marrying Alec is ? what are Sutton and Rebecca after ? How is Emma,Ethan,Thayer,Mads n everyone else gonna find out ?

extra anonymous

Posted at 8:01 PM on April 6, 2012

tru dat

Aj

Posted at 4:14 AM on March 17, 2012

I think there should be a season two i mean i more into the nine lives because of action but this keeps me forever thinking. I love this show its so well planned and thought out. I just pray that abc don’t kill this off like they did the nine lives. Also that plot twist very nicely done… I think that she’s not the biological mother either Ashtyn, because remember that Emma was suppose to go to a equally wealthy family too. As far as the adoption goes. And that we only seen the husband when i think Sutton went to go see that family.
He never said a word about what had happened to his wife. So , I my guess would be we got a few more twist and turns to go through before they call the quits. Go back over the episodes take notes that’s how i know for a fact Rebecca not mommy not quite yet. Because it would kinda defeat the purpose and with the way everything went down all in one season too easy.The opening for season two is going to be a strong one just keep everything from season fresh in the brain.It gonna through us for a loop…

Jessi

Posted at 6:43 PM on March 30, 2012

I wonder how Sutton knew that Rebecca was the mom and Emma didn’t. It makes me think. But Rebecca and Sutton have the same twisted mind so i guess that rebecca favored sutton or something idk and thats probably who told her that emma existed because sutton wouldnt have automatically known about emma. and i dont think that ted is the biological father for some reason. otherwise he would probably tell kristen yeah i have a child from another realtionship instead of pretending he is am adopted parent i just think that rebecca did something to him to make him adopt sutton. i dont see how emma ties into it wtf

Ashtyn

Posted at 1:58 PM on March 16, 2012

I think that the whole thing is twisted. I don’t think that Rebecca is the twins’ mom but at the same time she just might be…… Hmmmmmm………? Maybe she adopted them before Ted and Kristen did. Super confused, but there absolutely HAS to be a season 2!

jodi

Posted at 1:35 AM on March 16, 2012

this story is kind of predictable at parts. I knew as soon as rebecca came into the show that her and ted were the twins parents. and that sutton was working with her but i thought she was with both alec and rebecca. but now i think rebecca is a gold digger and just wanted to marry him so fast to take him for everything hes got once he goes to jail. i dunno wether alec really killed derek, if he did he will find a way to say someone framed him and he’ll get out of jail soonish.

Kaylahhhhh

Posted at 2:25 PM on March 14, 2012

Amen

Kaylahhhhh

Posted at 2:19 PM on March 14, 2012

When does season 2 come out?

Aj

Posted at 4:22 AM on March 17, 2012

I say for season2 probably going to be the end of summer when school starts back i mean i don’t work for the people but normally it take a solid two to three months for the next season to go through rating as well as the editing predicting how the next script for if there maybe a season three 2-3 months. They’re not going to get rid of Alec so soon and trust me daddy is going to have something to teach his kids when he’s free i know that for sure.
Those kids going to need child protective services bad after alec get out.

Marcella

Posted at 1:17 PM on March 13, 2012

So when do we know if there’s goint to be a season 2?

Alicia

Posted at 12:40 PM on March 13, 2012

We better see a second season of this show. This is one of best shows on television.

Kate

Posted at 10:11 AM on June 7, 2012

I did not see that coming my jaw was on the floor .BUT THEY HAVE TO HAVE A SEASON 2 BECAUSE THIS IS 1 GOOD SHOW

kelly

Posted at 12:10 PM on March 13, 2012

I figured that rebecca was the mom of the twins…but what is she hiding and why does sutton not seem to care…she has no heart! but this next season is going to be intense considering that we know something that the characters dont.