'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: 'A' Tries To Kill Jenna In A Fire — Again

Mon, March 5, 2012 9:13pm EDT by 44 Comments

Seriously, what is it with Jenna and fires? And even worse: Why am I starting to like her?

Jenna (Tammin Sursok) returned to Rosewood with a bang on the March 5 episode of Pretty Little Liars – and not just because she got caught in Jason’s (Drew Van Acker) house as it literally exploded. She also appears to have totally brainwashed Toby (Keegan Allen), who looked like he was about to slap Spencer (Troian Bellisario) during their intense encounter at school.

But does this mean Jenna can’t be “A”? Someone sent her a text, pretending to be Jason, to lure her into his house before it exploded. There’s no way Jenna could have somehow orchestrated that, right? The last shot of the rubble revealed a badge, so my money’s on Garrett (Yani Gellman). After all, he was super peeved at her for leaving town a few episodes ago — and as a rule of thumb, I don’t trust guys who spend their free time staring at young girls from a distance while nomming on M&M’s.

While Spencer and Emily (Shay Mitchell) looked through Alison’s (Sasha Pieterse) belongings for clues, Aria (Lucy Hale) spent the hour getting dirt on her from Duncan (Lachlan Buchanan), who also happens to be the most handsome pilot to ever grace Rosewood’s friendly skies. He apparently flew Alison back to Pennsylvania after her infamous trip to Hilton Head, meaning she was in town hours before the girls thought she was.

Meanwhile, Ezra (Ian Harding) discovered something I’ve been waiting for him to find all season: His backbone! He stood up to Ella (Holly Marie Combs) and Byron (Chad Lowe) after they basically told him to leave town and forget about Aria. They’re so not Ezria shippers.

But the award for “saddest moment of the night” goes to Emily, who read a heartfelt letter from Maya (Bianca Lawson) after receiving a text from her. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, which really must be true — because I want Maya back in Rosewood. Like, right now!

OK, kids, we’ve only got two more episodes this season, so let’s figure some stuff out: Have you scratched Jenna off your “A” suspect list? Was Garrett the one who set the fire? And what’s the deal with Maya’s vague text? Hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars updates

Bailey

Posted at 6:29 AM on March 7, 2012

Remember in the first episode when they show Spencer coming into the barn or something? Apparently, Spencer was the one who went out that night with Alison. I can’t remember but she was with Alison or was gone to look for her when they were wondering why Ali was taking forever to come back. I can’t remember the scene exactly since it was forever ago but i do remember that in the barn/outhouse whatever it is, Spencer either went somewhere with Ali or i think she went after her. She returned without Alison. Not saying that she killed her but she probably knows something. But then that seems too far fetched right for one of the girls to end up being A? I don’t know. I’m probably really off but yeah.

Bailey

Posted at 6:18 AM on March 7, 2012

I think Wren is A. I heard rumors that someone is going to die…people are saying its going to be Maya. Of course, the black girl dies first -.-

Karissa

Posted at 5:59 AM on March 7, 2012

Looking at the posters below me and watching the show, i have come to the conclusion that perhaps Spencer’s mom and Jason both had something to do with the fire event that took place that night. As Dani below me has stated: “Leave it on the back porch, don’t go in their house. Come right home.” – Spencer’s mother. It does seem like Spencer’s mom knew about the fire that was going to take place. And at the end, how Jason and Spencer’s mom sit together at the hospital, it could be that Spencer’s mom finally decided to come to terms with the whole Jason situation, but its also possible that they were discussing the fire. Well, whatever it was that they were talking about…it seemed interesting because when Spencer was eavesdropping on them, she was distracted by Toby. So its probably something ‘juicy’. Besides, just a while ago she was talking against him to Spencer and then suddenly shes allowing him to sit next to her. Now that Jason’s house is burnt up, maybe he will be staying over at Spencer’s place. That’d be nice! I’d really like to see Spencer and Jason bond and maybe he will help the girls with the A situation. Also, did anyone notice when Aria was talking to Duncan about Ian saying that “we think he might have been trying to protect someone” that he could possibly have been trying to protect Melissa or his mother in law aka Spencer’s mom. Its weird how its all coming down to Spencer’s mom! In a way, it sounds so silly that she is behind it all but at the same time, the things shes been doing and saying kind of make you think that shes got a lot more to do with it then you’d think. I hope that Jenna and Mona aren’t A. I want to be surprised!

Dani

Posted at 4:17 AM on March 7, 2012

Interesting quote to note: “Leave it on the back porch, don’t go in their house. Come right home.” – Spencer’s mother, not very long before the explosion.

Danny

Posted at 4:14 AM on March 7, 2012

I actually think it wasn’t Garrett because of the final scene. “A” notoriously removes suspicion from his or herself, and it seems unlikely to me that Garrett would put anything related to the police there himself. I actually saw the final scene first (technical video-loading difficulties) and I thought the way “A” brushed the bush at the end walking to the porch reminded me of Jenna, honestly. It looked like a blind person walking. Now I’m not so sure because she was in the hospital at the end of this. Why would Jenna go to talk with Jason alone anyway?

Amelia

Posted at 3:34 AM on March 7, 2012

Actually, i think that maybe Jason was also involved somehow. But he stopped when he realized Spencer is his sister to avoid hurting her. Lets not forget that he had creepy pictures or whatever in his shed of Aria(i think). Hmmm, i think Jason,Noel and Ian were doing something together…like filming the girls. I’m not saying Jason is A…i really don’t think so and hope not. Why would he kill his own sister Ali and then blackmail and hurt his other one(Spencer)? Wouldn’t make sense. Anyways, i’d like that whole “story” about N.A.T Club and about the films or whatever they were making of the girls.

Amelia

Posted at 2:17 AM on March 7, 2012

Isn’t it weird how Spencer’s mom told Spencer to leave the bag outside Jason’s door and come back quickly? Its like she knew something was going to happen. It is obviously not Garret or Officer Wilden. I doubt the show crew would drop such a huge hint. That quite clearly ruins the surprise. I’m guessing that A is trying to pin it on officer Garret. Or perhaps, A isn’t the one who put the fire and is trying to help the girls find out that its Garret(but i doubt it). Ali is possibly alive but i think that that might be a separate mystery. I don’t think Jenna is A…but maybe she is or was involved. I’v always thought that Jenna is aware of everything. She probably knows what happened to Ali and probably knows of A. It looks like she and the girls might start getting along and she might tell them something. I think A is either Spencer’s mom, Mike or Maya. Maybe its Wren. I hope its not Jason! LOL I love how Spencer’s whole family is creepy,suspicious and seems to be involved.

Mia

Posted at 9:04 PM on March 6, 2012

I really think that Spencer’s Mom is A.

alxv

Posted at 8:54 PM on March 6, 2012

-A …. is allisons twin sister… they’re twins… my wife n i watch PLL … the series r based on books … ali n her sister swaped places … theres to A’s … ali and mona …believe me …if anythin google it :)

JCK

Posted at 4:21 PM on March 7, 2012

If true then Toby and Jenna would both be dead, Ari would be dating Noel, Aria’s brother would be dating Hannah, and Emily would have a boyfriend, not a girlfriend.

The show followed the books for about 2-3 episodes and then quit following them. So it could be anyone.

Lauren

Posted at 1:37 PM on March 6, 2012

Ok I don’t think Jenna is a anymore. I think she may have been working with a but obviously not anymore I mean who else would have set the dilaurentis on fire other than a. I think Jenna knows who killed Alison and she knows who a is. And somebody really wants her dead or blind forever. I mean isn’t this deja vu. Didn’t the cavanaugh garage get set on fire by Ali and Jenna was blinded. Maybe Alison isnt dead. I thought for sure she wasn’t last week but after that fire I don’t know it seems a lot like Ali. And it isnt the first time Jenna was in a burning building at Alis hands. I am sooo confused. Can’t it be the season finale so we know who a is already???

Liars Fan

Posted at 1:23 PM on March 6, 2012

COULD A BE SPENCERS MOM? WHERE HAS SHE BEEN? SHE CERTAINLY HAS MOTIVE!!!

taylor

Posted at 12:29 PM on March 6, 2012

at this point i dont even have a clue who A is this show is taking so many different twists and turns jeez i cant even keep up but i hope its melissa

Kati

Posted at 9:36 AM on March 6, 2012

If ‘A’ was Garret… he wouldn’t have planted his OWN badge. duh. and everyone knows how mad Garret is that Jenna has ditched him so he’s the perfect person to frame.

Alice

Posted at 5:50 AM on March 6, 2012

I think ‘A’ is Noel Cahn and he has an accomplice because in season 1 episode 12 when Noel is trying to blackmail ezra into getting a better mark, he writes ‘A’ at the top of the page and its exactly the way ‘A’ writes it on the notes to the girls!!

Jillian D

Posted at 4:41 AM on March 6, 2012

Anddd i think Jenna is only blind in one eye. That bitch could see the whole time! That liar.

Jillian D

Posted at 4:35 AM on March 6, 2012

Ok guys, dont be mad at me BUT i think A is aria :(

1. A for Aria. Duh
2. She had an A necklace on one time and i got creeped out
3. Emily has been looking at her funny for the past couple episodes
4. Nothing bad ever happens to her
5. She is the best liar
6. The entire beginning of the show with the song is pointing to her and she get to hold her finger up to her lips, i dont know.

Maybe im crazy, but i have a feeling. If she is, she isnt working alone.

Btw, she pilot guy kind of gave a clue when aria asked if there was another boy and he said “thats what i thought” did he mean maybe there was a girl. Like another lesbo thing????? Ahhhh <3

Dylan

Posted at 7:16 AM on March 6, 2012

Um, considering the whole thing with Ezra and her parents, I’m pretty sure It’s not Aria. Plus, she seems to genuinely care about her friends and family, so i doubt It’s her.

Personally, I think It’s Mona

Pll fan

Posted at 2:08 AM on March 6, 2012

I think its melissa!

Jess

Posted at 2:06 AM on March 6, 2012

Obviously, the badge was planted and I’m sure it is Garrett’s. Are we really sure that the email Emily got was from Maya? I think the Ezra/Ella confrontation dropped a clue about one of the possible identities of A…I think we got a Jackie clue. I think she’s the one who tried to send Byron to the restaurant. I think she is still lurking about…Ezra was talking to Aria while in his office, he was the one who named the restaurant and called Aria by name during the conversation. And interviews have referred to A as a “she”…

What the heck was Ali doing for 6 or 7 hours before she showed up in that cab? And what could Duncan have meant by “she was different that day. she’d figured something out.”?

Detective Holden is creepy and seems VERY eager to pin Ali’s murder on the girls. When Ella and Ashley were talking at the Marin house and A was on the patio, it occurred to me that the patio is his entrance of choice to the Marin house…

Oh! Another clue A clue: When Mrs. Hastings asked Spencer if Jason was coming back to pick up the bag of Ali’s things, Spencer said no, she was going to take it back over to Jason’s house. Mrs. Hastings’s exact words were, “Don’t go in the house. Just give it to him and come right back.” I wonder if she had planned on Jason being at home and set that whole explosion in motion! She could’ve pretended to be Jason and sent the message to Jenna to protect Spencer from the information Jenna was obviously providing to the police and fire inspector…it would’ve taken out Jason (the thorn in her side) and protected Spencer at the same time…and the Hastings seem to be willing to do alot to protect their girls…

P.S. Loved the Ezra/Byron “whose ego?” :)

Thoughts???

Hannah

Posted at 12:27 AM on March 6, 2012

saddest episode ever! I have way too many suspects..Melissa, Maya, Wren and Ezra :’) maybe jason…i dont know anymore! also where the hell is Lucas these days?!

Anny

Posted at 12:25 AM on March 6, 2012

I think A is the other police officer…that detective Holden ( don’t remember his name) lol I thought it was Garrett too, but now after such a big hint was dropped he is the one that everyone is going to point at…it seems too simple ahah

PPL fan

Posted at 11:59 PM on March 5, 2012

I feel like Arias brother Mike could be “A”. I don’t know why, its just like he’s in and out of the picture all the time. Who knows though, but thats my guess, Jenna and the rest of them are too obvious

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:07 AM on March 6, 2012

Mike and Ella have both been on my list.

But then again… who hasn’t been?

megs

Posted at 11:37 PM on March 5, 2012

i dont think its melissa or garret or jenna. that would be way to obvious. PLL wants to to basically be slapped in the face. these past couple of episodes have been setting melissa garret and mainly jenna to be A. i doubt they would make it that easy to figure out. The producers say that A was in the first episode and does not follow the books… time to go watch the first episode again..

megs

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 5, 2012

wants *us to be slapped in the face

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:08 AM on March 6, 2012

Wait… “A” was in the first episode? I must not have seen that interview. Very interesting.

tantan

Posted at 2:18 AM on March 8, 2012

You guys seem to be forgetting that the person that killed Alli and A could be different people. If A set the fire in the first place why not just leave the badge as she/he was leaving, why come back and plant it? Spencers mom saying not to go into the house did catch my interest for sure. So could it be possible that Spencers dad or mom or Melissa, or Jenna and Garrett or even the eluded twin killed Allison and A is a completely different person?

jack mehoff

Posted at 11:27 PM on March 5, 2012

I think its spencers half bro because he tries to make it seem like it has something to do with spencers family. Also A is def setting garret up now so its not him. But whoever it is I’m gonna jack it off quickes

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:08 AM on March 6, 2012

“But whoever it is I’m gonna jack it off quickes”

I like the way you think.

Emily

Posted at 11:07 PM on March 5, 2012

I think Jenna and the girls will start to get long and I don’t this it’s arias mom that doesn’t make sense my bet is on Garett or melissa

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:09 AM on March 6, 2012

It COULD be Aria’s mom. Think about it: Is she really qualified to be teaching at that school? ;-)

Mahi

Posted at 10:24 PM on March 5, 2012

A is Ella Aria’s mom because

Aria is never hurt
She stole Ezras notebook thing
She was spying on byron and aria
She was mad aria never told her

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:09 AM on March 6, 2012

But remember when Ella came face-to-face with “A” at the dance?

Pati

Posted at 2:05 AM on March 6, 2012

yeaaah! i don’t think Ella is A

Kati284

Posted at 9:43 AM on March 6, 2012

There’s no way anyone could have planned Aria NOT to show up at the restaurant when Byron was waiting for her to show up so it’s not like her mom was trying to protect her. A was trying to get Byron to catch Aria and Ezra.