Nick Cannon On Living With Lupus: 'I Have To Be Around For My Children'

Mon, March 5, 2012 8:59am EDT by 22 Comments
Nick Cannon Lupus

Mariah Carey’s husband opens up on the ‘worst’ part of treatment, and his biggest source of motivation.

Nick Cannon gave his first in-depth interview about his health issues March 5, telling Good Morning America he has lupus nephritis, a “rare form of Lupus” that’s attacking his kidneys. “I scared myself,” he admitted. “I always considered myself to be in good shape. It kind of came out of nowhere.”

And in his scariest moments, Nick said he thought of his two children, Monroe and Moroccan — his inspiration through it all.

“It’s everything when you want to be there for your children and you’re laying in a hospital bed,” he said. “I have to be around for my children. They’re my motivation for the whole thing.”

He thought he was getting better after first being admitted to the hospital for kidney failure Jan. 4, but received a rude awakening when he was re-admitted in February for blood clots in his lung.

“I thought I was doing the right thing, but I was actually overloading my body,” he said. “You can also go too hard.”

Nick said changing his diet has, so far, been the “worst part” of his recovery process.

“I can’t have any fast food anymore,” he said, adding that his diet now consists of low sodium and lots of water. “No Happy Meals; I’m sad.”

Fortunately, Nick said, wife Mariah Carey has been by his side throughout the whole ordeal.

“That’s the best medicine right there!” he said. “She’s so great and so nurturing. I call her Dr. Carey. She made me an egg white sandwich before I left the house this morning!”

Speaking of medicine, Nick admitted he’s never been a fan of pills, so he’s looking for “holistic ways” of maintaining his health. He’s also been ordered to get at least six hours of sleep a night, a drastic change from his previous two hours.

More Mariah & Nick:

1. Mariah Carey Shares Pics Of The Twins’ First Christmas
  2. Mariah Carey Brings Back The Springy Ringlet Hairstyle In New Music Video
  3. Nick Cannon Would NEVER Allow Justin Bieber To Babysit The Twins

Thelma

Posted at 11:33 AM on July 20, 2014

Glad to here u gettin better love u on America got talent u sooo funny my daughter too been ill fa so long. Aged 36. Being checked now fa lupus an now my kidneys r in such pAin too. God bless u. In my prayers

Mark & kelyea Linder

Posted at 2:02 PM on October 7, 2013

Nick, Mariah and twins be strong God is a heal. Just pray every chance y’all get my sister has it and I know how you feel love always the Linder family.

mandii

Posted at 5:21 PM on June 2, 2014

yes be strong and GOD is there even when it seems impossible

natalie

Posted at 7:10 PM on September 18, 2013

Hello Mr Cannon, I was sorry to hear about your lupus scare. I almost died from lupus complications. I didnt have the slightestidea what lupus was. My 2 sons were very young when they had to step up. I am a member of The Lupus Foundation Of America Ga Chapter. Lupus is becoming more and more active, The foundation helps to make ppl aware and comtributes to research in hopes of finding a cure. I immediately was taken out of work and it took 3 yrs to recieve my disabilty so kudos to you being able to work. You have a beautiful family and I wish yall well. Lets Win the fight against
Lupus!

diana

Posted at 6:19 PM on January 2, 2013

Dear Nick I am sorry to hear you have lupus It is one of the worest there is I am glad that you told the world now may be more can be done to help those of us that have lupus

Leila

Posted at 7:39 PM on July 30, 2012

I really like Nick and Mariah. They make a beautiful couple. I am happy that you are doing well now Nick! Both of you are just awesome!!

Tanya

Posted at 10:35 AM on July 9, 2012

Well nick sorry to here of you having lupus. I have had it now for 8 yrs..I must say my first two yrs was the worst years.lost my job, couldn’t walk for a year, got place on dialysis for 7 yrs now. and the kicker to that was I work in dialysis.I have two children as you do ages 18 &14 now it was hard on them an they were much younger.nick fight the fight never give up and stay strong and positive, I did i’m beautiful inside and out. I love my life and its not just mines its my childrens life too. You can do it I did you run ya diease don’t give up.God has the last say..Nick i’m walking been walking for 6 yrs now.my lupus has been in remission for 7 yrs, i’m on the Transplant list status 1 and getting calls. Yolanda Adams song say never give up on you.people always tell the bad story, but i’m tell you the good one.No my life isn’t the best but i’m Here living this life the best I can.i’m Tanya Wood from N.j and I survived and i’m surving, cause i’m a survivor. I’m ride this thing till the wheels fall off. Love you take care not being a doctor but being a fan & a friend..lots off luck for you in the Family. Tanya

Kira

Posted at 10:12 AM on February 15, 2013

Your story gave me hope. Thank You Tanya. :)

Rouben

Posted at 8:08 PM on June 25, 2012

Dear Nick,

You are my favorite celebrity. You are the funniest person I know and whats more you are a genuine caring individual. I’ve been very worried since I heard about your condition and I always check the internet about updates on your health. My prayers are with you and Mariah everyday and I hope you leave this nuisance disease behind very soon. Keep the faith. Miracles happen everyday. You have so much to live for. God bless you and your family.

Kimmie

Posted at 3:01 AM on June 22, 2012

Hi Nick, I have had Lupus for five years and you definitrely have to get your rest. My son and I enjoy any movie or sitcom you are in. You are a very talented inidividual and I know you and Mariah will. You are a beautiful couple. I have had Lupus and has had it since Easter of 2007. It definitely is not an easy task but I am still ugging online. I have 12 weeks and I will ahve my Bachelors Degree and II haven’t been able to walk for over 2 years. I am only 31 and I am only 40 years old. I wish you all the best no matter what the situation may b e keep your head up as you have always and everything is going to be just fine., /The Lord and my son have been what has pulled me through thus far and he wll see you through as well. We love you Mariah…and Nick.

Josh

Posted at 9:17 PM on April 18, 2012

if I had the kind of money he had, I’d never eat fast food in the first place… but anyway, kidney failure- that’s gotta be tough. good luck through it all

mika

Posted at 12:30 PM on March 30, 2012

Hi My nephew has the same disease as Nick Cnnon, he is 20 years old. Good Pasture. We aree from montreal Canada. The disease hit it’s peak about 2 weeks ago when my sister was advised to prepare herself for the worst. The disease has shut down his kidneys now and for 2 1/2 weeks the blood could not be stopped in his lungs. They induced coma and eventually it stopped. He is still in the hospital and expected to goto rehab for 2 weeks to get his muscles working. This will only be if his Kidneys start functioning. This is the saddest disease that can hit a human being… His name is Demetri Paschalis and he also was exerting himself too much making his first CD 2 months ago…. Love you alot Dem and you will be better, Nick Cannon is the proof you need! xox

gemma cole

Posted at 12:23 AM on March 18, 2012

Just trust in god.just hang in there nick.god bless u

Dunnia Lowe

Posted at 9:49 PM on March 9, 2012

I also have lupus, i was diagnose 3 days after having an emergency c-section due to blood clots in my placenta and kidney failure cause by lupus, but with treatment, diet and exercise you will b fine nick, b positive and pray god will help, he always does.

Rosetta Bearden

Posted at 8:01 AM on March 7, 2012

Bless your heart, Nick & Mariah! My prayers are extended to you during this process, as well. I’ve been a survivor of SLE for, soon to be, 18 years in May. I was diagnosed with stage IV lupus nephritis three years following the initial diagnosis. One year after that came CHF… and on & on & on. HOWEVER, I’ve become a huge proponent of holistic therapies, in conjunction with conventional medicine. An 80-90% plant-based diet DOES work, along with regular exercise, adequate water consumption, sound rest and trust in divine healing. I’d suggest purchasing a juicer ASAP, plus, learning to also carefully pace yourself….AND incorporate the word “no” into your vocabulary. A great support system is essential too ~ I definitely concur … love is, by far, the best infusion of medicine!
Blessings of Healing & Peace to you!
Rosetta

deborah sutton

Posted at 11:57 PM on March 5, 2012

nick, I have been praying for you and your family since the onset of your illness. Be strong and confident in your faith. God is in the midst of your situation… Much love deborah

Kathi

Posted at 8:47 PM on March 5, 2012

First of all, my heart goes out to Nick & Mariah. I was diagnosed with stage IV lupus nephritis when I was 19 years old. I disagree, however, when he says lupus nephritis is rare. In fact a good majority of lupus patients suffer from kidney disease. Unless his type is rare, he doesn’t specify. Diet alone cannot help. He mentions holistic care, I hope he also does traditional medicines. With proper medicine, he can have a complete kidney recovery.

I hope his message reaches many people to bring more attention to lupus. It is more common than people know.

diane rojas

Posted at 5:38 PM on March 5, 2012

Hi Nick I wish you and your family the very best I also suffer from lupus neprhritis it was diffcult for me because iam single mother don’t work anymore a good healthy diet is very important I thank the Lord everyday because doing much better.I have had this disease for 13 years. It’s not easy may god bless you n your family

zanessalost

Posted at 12:50 PM on March 5, 2012

Nick Cannon is an amazing young man God bless him and his as he ventures in this new chapter in his life

Alison

Posted at 10:17 AM on March 5, 2012

I too was just diagnosed with lupus, and was told I am at a severe risk for blood clots. I have learned more in the past few days from following Nick Cannon than my own Doctors.

gbtw

Posted at 10:17 AM on March 5, 2012

what is the long term prognosis for a person with this disease and can it be managed just by diet? i don’t know how anyone could write an article like this without even mentioning those questions, not to mention answering them. maybe if i find/watch the video i’ll get those answers, or if i do my own research which is what it takes in the world of today’s media…

courtney

Posted at 9:08 AM on March 5, 2012

of course he wants to be around for his children it’s traumatic to lose a parent at any age let alone an infant. I wish the press would’ve let them deal with this in private not everything in a celebs life is for public consumption