'The Lying Game' Season Finale Scoop: Derek's Killer Will Be Revealed

Fri, March 2, 2012 4:47pm EDT by 19 Comments

Alexandra Chando tells HollywoodLife.com she ‘literally screamed’ when she got to the end of the script.

The Lying Game hasn’t officially been renewed for a second season, but I’ve got all my fingers and toes crossed that it does, because Alexandra Chando tells HollywoodLife.com the March 5 season finale is a “total cliffhanger.” Even though we do finally find out who killed Derek, we’re also going to be left speechless by the shocking ending. “I was reading it for the first time in the makeup chair and I literally screamed,” she says. “It’s so intense.”

So what exactly is on the line during the final hour of the season? Pretty much everything — but especially Emma’s relationship with Ethan (Blair Redford).

“Ethan is trying his best to prove to Emma [that he loves her] and get her back, but Emma’s heartbroken,” Alexandra explains. “She’s not sure if she wants to go down that road again. It’s going to take a lot more than just an apology to get her back. In the finale, it shows how serious she was when she walked away from him.”

I also asked Alexandra if any characters will switch sides and surprise us — many viewers have theorized that Thayer (Christian Alexander) is behind Derek’s death — but she says we shouldn’t be so quick to suspect people we’ve trusted all along.

“I don’t think there’s a bad guy or a good guy on the show,” she says. “I think everyone has their own ulterior motives. OK, maybe Kristin’s good. But between Alec and Rebecca, it’s very clear there’s something going on there and they’re sort of playing each other. So that comes out a little bit, but I still think it’s unclear who the real villain is.”

She also shoots down speculation that more Phoenix residents will learn that Emma and Sutton are actually twins.

“They’re keeping that pretty hush hush for now,” she says. “It would start to get dangerous if too many people knew. They’re still trying to keep it quiet. It was huge that Mads even found out!”

What do YOU think will go down in the big season finale? Will Alec and Rebecca’s marriage go off without a hitch? Will Emma and Ethan patch things up? And who REALLY killed Derek? Hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Lying Game scoop

Plus, check out ABC Family’s Lying Game page for more show info.

Ruby

Posted at 5:07 AM on January 27, 2013

Emma and Ethan need to get back together they’re the cutest couple and yes Sutton and Emma should patch things up they’re sisters and Laurel should find out about the twins and the swap

lea

Posted at 7:46 PM on May 17, 2012

I cant wait for the new season and emma and ethan are ment to be they are good for each other and sutton is just trying her best to make them mad with each other sutton shoukd really move on and leave emma and ethan alone and be a sister. ..Love this

Kate

Posted at 9:15 PM on March 25, 2012

I think the cliff hanger was great! You knew they were going to leave things hanging so they could get enough interest for a second season.
I wasn’t too shocked with the turn of events in the season final. You knew Alec was going to be arrested, whether or not he was really guilty. And really, who didn’t see the Rebecca mom thing coming; they had been hinting at things for ages. Lastly, the Emma and Ethan thing. I honestly believe that Emma is better off without him. I mean seriously, he’s still carrying a torch for Sutton. I think it is about time Thayer and Emma tried something. They are way more compatible and I’m pretty sure he already has a thing for her. For me, if these two don’t end up together and Emma goes backing to that cheating ex, I’ll be really let down. Oh well, hopefully they’ll make a second season soon!

madds

Posted at 8:35 PM on March 7, 2012

omg…Rebbeca is ther mom!!! i was so shocked. Emma should not get back with ethan he is a player! i like thayer with her

TICA

Posted at 3:33 PM on March 6, 2012

I think Emma it’s way better with Thayer

Emilita

Posted at 11:00 PM on March 5, 2012

I was shocked I think Emma and Ethan should get back together and just take off and the fact that sutton called Rebecca mom Rebecca must know who Emma is this is twisted and what the hell was their plan when is season two

amy

Posted at 10:11 PM on March 5, 2012

Alex killed derek, and rebecca is the mother of emma and sutton. And alec, is smart and I think he knows that sutton and emma have got together. I hope there’s a season two!! :D

Kaitie

Posted at 7:08 PM on March 4, 2012

Emma and Ethan have to get back together. She needs to forgive him already, she left him already, point made. It took a lot for him to tell her the truth, he could have kept it a secret and she never would have believed Sutton but he told her before they slept together, that in itself shows how much he loves her.

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:09 PM on March 5, 2012

I don’t think we have to worry too much about Emma and Ethan. ;)

Mia

Posted at 3:10 AM on March 4, 2012

I think i will die if there isn’t a season 3 I’m so hooked now

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:41 PM on March 5, 2012

You mean a season 2? ;-)

Stea

Posted at 8:27 PM on April 3, 2012

its season 3. The lying game started late last year

Roxy

Posted at 8:16 PM on March 3, 2012

Omg!! This is getting to good I’m soo hooked… I believe that Emma shouldn’t forgive Ethan too fast she should show everyone that she’s tired of getting stepped on and hopefully sutton gets what she deserved

g

Posted at 9:30 PM on March 2, 2012

If they do get renewed, which I’m confident they will since it’s got a big fan base :) Will it air in the summer or will we have to wait until the fall?

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:09 PM on March 5, 2012

I assume the fall… or possibly the winter. It’ll take them some time to plan/write/film the episodes.

Julie

Posted at 6:09 PM on March 2, 2012

Oh nooo…I was so hoping that Emma& Ethan would get back together at the end of the finale. This will just drive me insane until summer season picks up. Oh poo!

Lucie

Posted at 5:37 PM on March 2, 2012

Im not too sure I want Emma and Ethan to patch things up straight away. I think he’s got ALOT of making up to do if he wants to get back together with her. He really hurt her. Ethan said he was in love with Emma so he should have been able to tell them apart! He slept with her sister! I think she should maybe explore the Thayer option, I know Thayer’s slept with Sutton too, but atleast he wasn’t in a relationship with Emma at the time! Seeing as he’s not as much of a bad boy, maybe he’s the safer option for her?

Charlotte

Posted at 7:43 AM on March 3, 2012

Ethan didn’t sleep with Sutton while he was in a relationship with Emma.. He only kissed her, they didn’t have sex.

nathan