Viola Davis Ditches Her Signature Wig & Lets Her Mom Create Her Oscars Hairstyle

Sun, February 26, 2012 6:56pm EDT by 13 Comments

Viola has been trying a new hairstyle recently and it’s all due to encouragement by her family!

Viola Davis, Best Actress nominee at the Oscars, showed up on the red carpet without her signature wig and admitted to Ryan Seacrest that her own mother did her hair! Viola’s husband was the one who first suggested she attend the event sans wig. “My husband wanted me to take the wig off,” Viola tells InStyle. “He said, ‘If you want to wear it for your career, that’s fine, but in your life wear your hair. Step into who you are!’ It’s a powerful statement.”

Who doesn’t struggle with their natural hair texture? Too flat, too voluminous, not wavy enough — everyone has their opinion. Do you love that Viola is embracing her natural hair?

Eden Univer

Get Rid Of Bv

Posted at 1:18 PM on May 29, 2012

Hello there, simply was aware of your weblog thru Google, and located that it’s really informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I’ll appreciate in case you proceed this in future. Many people will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Joanne

Posted at 7:18 PM on February 27, 2012

I love that it was Viola’s husband who suggested that she go natural. So many women think we have to resort to fake hair, fake breasts, etc., to appeal to men and this just shows there are men in the world who love and respect us for who we are. Kudos to Viola for being authentically BEAUTIFUL on Oscar night.

Christina griffith

Posted at 1:17 PM on February 27, 2012

Viola is the first black woman to embrace her naturalness in the media. She will be a big inspiration to black woman to take the natural route. She looks really beautiful and is proof that natural should be the way forward instead of weaves and wigs that do not represent our heritage.

Debbie

Posted at 10:46 AM on February 27, 2012

Recently, I have had to cut off most of my hair due to breakage. I, too like Viola Davis, have been wearing wigs when in public. Seeing her in her natural has encouraged me to step out and wear my hair au naturelle:-)

KRV

Posted at 9:07 AM on February 27, 2012

Blonde white women & black women aren’t natural?!? Give me a break. There TONS of ways to color hair & many don’t involve chemicals. Viola is definately natural. NATURALLY beautiful.

Alvina Herb

Posted at 8:46 AM on February 27, 2012

All the comments here are wonderful and everyone has their opinion!! I think they are all great, I just have one question, Mama please tell me what you did to get Viola’s hair that style? The shape and curl is beautiful, I love her color, even though my gray comes in so quickly around the edges I am opting for a much lighter color. I have tried to maintain the copper but the color grows out so quickly around the nape of my neck and edges. She looks so naturally beautiful, not saying that she does not look beautiful in her wigs, she does, however, there is something uniquely beautiful and graceful, an air of regal dignity when a Black woman wears her natural air. ??? Consider Mayo Angelou, Alice Walker, just to name two, there are many other. I love it and thank you continue being you, in your career and your life. Kudos to the Man in your life that encouraged you, I admire him immensely.

Mika

Posted at 9:35 PM on February 26, 2012

I am a black woman and I love my natural hair and love wigs and weaves. It’s so great and FUN to be able to have so many different looks.

Why should we have less style options than anyone else? It’s not either or — it’s ALL. My natural hair looks like Viola’s — but not dyed. True natural hair FYI is not dyed. Blonde white women or black women are not natural.

I LOVE Viola though and she looks AMAZING.

c

Posted at 12:42 PM on February 27, 2012

uhhhh white folks can have naturally blonde hair.. duh

Pat

Posted at 9:19 PM on February 26, 2012

I love her hair! I just got rid of all my wigs and weave and it is very liberating!!!

Michelle

Posted at 7:20 PM on February 26, 2012

I taking the plunge now…she looks simply divine . Thk you Viola!!!

Ken Boston

Posted at 9:10 PM on February 26, 2012

It’s about time for Black women to stop trying to be
someone else and be who they are.
It’s a lot more attractive being natural.
It’s also a lot better during sex to be free
and not being careful that the wig/weave doesn’t come off.

ebony

Posted at 12:12 AM on February 27, 2012

Just because you want to wear wigs/weave doesn’t mean you’re trying to be someone you’re not. Sometimes you have to give your natural hair a break. Right now I have a sew-in and I’m still the same person.

c

Posted at 12:42 PM on February 27, 2012

yeah but you’re part fake.. i think thats the point – you’re portraying an image of something you’re not