'The Voice': Move Over Mathai—Charlotte Sometimes Is The Girl To Beat

Tue, February 21, 2012 11:48am EDT by 9 Comments
The Voice Charlotte Sometimes

As much as the judges raved about 18-year-old Mathai, I think Charlotte Sometimes edged her out, even if by a few inches. As for finding major guy talent, I’d say meh — not so much this time.

The estrogen factor reigned on Week Four of The Voice‘s blind auditions, wouldn’t you say? Total props to Jersey girl Charlotte Sometimes — she’s definitely the singer to beat out of this week’s batch. Check out my top three picks after the jump!

Top Three
1) Charlotte Sometimes: The 23-year-old Jersey chick, who recovered from a fractured jaw, sang a loungy, pissy version of One Republic’s “Apologize,” and I was totally diggin’ it. I mean, who doesn’t like a girl with a bit of biznatch in her? For me, she was hands down the winner last night, and the fact all the judges were fighting for her proved her voice was one to be reckoned with.

2) Mathai: She’s only 18, but she strutted around the stage with a maj dose of confidence as she sang her own rendition of Adele’s “Rumour Has It.” I liked the strength and control of her voice — and her 90s perm was pretty cool, too. (And by the way, this girl isn’t meant to be a doctor.)

3) Naia Kete, 21: This street musician from Hollywood has chords more impressive then her Repunzelian dreads. I thought that her singing “The Lazy Song” was quite fitting, considering her smoky voice made me want to swing on a hammock and play patty cake with Snuggle the Fabric Softener Bear. Good stuff, and I can’t wait to hear more.

Honorable Mention
Nicolle Galyon, 27: This Kansan country girl has a strong voice, but I wouldn’t say it was amazeballs unique. Her rendition of “You Save Me” was solid, but the reason I wanna mention her is that I love her whole “piano-girl-in-country-music” angle.

Scariest Singer of the Night
The fact that Broadway star Tony Vincent, 38, can wear eyeliner better than most of us gals is already scary, but his eating-the-microphone take on “We Are the Champions” was terrifying — but in a cool way. Let’s just hope all that intensity will drain him enough to eating a few burgers.

Most Hilarballs Quote of the Night
Sandwich maker Jamie Lono, 22, performed a very cool version of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” and as he debated on whether to choose Adam Levine or Cee Lo as his music mentor, it seemed Cee Lo won him over when he slapped some endearing sandwich talk.

Jamie Lono: “I make sandwiches for a living.”
Cee Lo: “You know, we should hook up because I eat sandwiches!” Booyah! Whatcha got, Adam?!

Well, that’s my take on the hottest singers on Feb. 20th’s eppy. Who were your picks, HL-ers?

More ‘Voice’ News:

1. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Is ‘Sassy’ 18-Year-Old Mathai The Next Big Thing?
  2. Simon Cowell Wants Showdown Of Winners From ‘X-Factor,’ ‘American Idol’ & ‘The Voice’
  3. ‘The Voice’ Blind Auditions, Week 3: Is James Massone The Next Justin Bieber?

point noir

Posted at 4:26 AM on May 10, 2012

Simply want to say your article is as astounding. The clarity to your submit is simply cool and that i can think you’re knowledgeable on this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to clutch your feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thanks one million and please keep up the gratifying work.

chicken cordon blue

Posted at 12:33 AM on May 10, 2012

Hello there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

easy ps3 trophies

Posted at 10:12 PM on May 9, 2012

A person essentially lend a hand to make seriously articles I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual publish amazing. Wonderful task!

free bubble shooter full screen

Posted at 4:54 AM on April 4, 2012

I’ve read a few good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you put to make one of these excellent informative website.

randi skolsky

Posted at 7:11 PM on February 26, 2012

I’m amazed that all the articles I’ve read about Charlotte don’t mention that she has put out CD’s before & apparently is currently signed to Geffen Records. I bought her EP back in 2008.

Ricardo

Posted at 9:51 PM on February 24, 2012

The most amazing voice! I believed in you from day 1!

Mary

Posted at 5:49 PM on February 23, 2012

I LOVED Charlotte!!! Does anyone know where her pink dress came from?

Kate

Posted at 9:44 AM on February 21, 2012

I think it is ridiculous that people who were signed to different labels, have made albums and have music videos are allowed on the voice. Charlotte Sometimes should not be on the show and Dia Franpton shouldn’t have been on.

The people that should be on the show should be people who have never had the chance to get an album, not people whose music careers, after their first album, didn’t go anywhere. It isn’t fair.

Mike

Posted at 6:48 AM on February 22, 2012

Hey Kate, just because you’ve seen a little success in your field doesn’t mean you have a free ride. Times are still tough and The Voice is big on trying to help any and all struggling artists whether or not they have had a little success in the past. Put your protest sign away and enjoy the music.