'Dance Moms' Is The Best Show On Television

Tue, February 21, 2012 2:18pm EDT by 21 Comments
Dance Moms

Well, it’s the best show about moms who watch their kids’ dance practice all the time.

If you haven’t been watching Dance Moms at all this season, it’s high time you start. Believe me when I say that Abby Lee Miller and her dance minions make for one of the most amazing hours of TV.

No, Dance Moms doesn’t take place on a British estate in the early 20th century. No, Abby Lee is not a dance teacher turned meth cook. And there are no misanthropic ad executives in sight. But that still doesn’t mean it isn’t good television.

You won’t be able to pull your eyes away from watching Abby berate several pre-teen dancers, all while their moms drink wine and yell at each other about leotards and pyramids.

Because we want you to love this show, we’re going to start recapping it for you. So watch Dance Moms every Tuesday on Lifetime and come back to HollywoodLife.com for our recaps!

– Denise Warner

Tony

Posted at 4:41 PM on April 23, 2014

Abby lee is a fat pig nd treats kids particularly Chloe like a dirt! She should burn in hell!

JJ

Posted at 1:33 PM on February 26, 2014

This is, by far, the worst show on TV. I have watched every season since it began but will cut the cord officially at the end of this season. It is pathetic the way Abby has turned into an attention whore for how she treats these girls.

Maddy is just like her mommy, an opportunist. The new mom (Kalani’s mom is so gross looking with her gigantic mole. LOL! So distracting.

Nia is a nice girl with a nice mom, but she does not have the level of experience to be on this team.

Shut this show down!!!

Marie Smith

Posted at 11:34 PM on November 3, 2012

Does Abby Lee really think shes hot when she poses!! GROSSS! I think shes a drag queen???

brookesthebest

Posted at 3:54 PM on February 28, 2012

I JUST LOVE DANCE MOMS SO MUCH! WHEN I WAS LITTLE I ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVR THE LIFES THESE GIRLS DO & JUST WORK HARD TO SUCCEED IN LIFE.SUCH GREAT KIDS(: KEEP SUPPORTING& WATCHING GUYS!

Elle

Posted at 5:37 PM on February 23, 2012

The Dance Mom teacher is abusive, mean and cruel..She is abusive to kids..

Carl

Posted at 5:08 AM on February 23, 2012

What can I say about Ms. Abby? At long last, somebody who understands the concept of an elite athlete. These girls have special skills that they were born with and are always working very hard to expand and improve upon their abilities. Becoming a professional dancer means hard work, repetitive training, laser-like focus on your goals, much demand on time, energy, and top notch training from an elite coach like Ms. Miller. A lot if expected out of these girls, but the payoff is that when Abby is through with them they will be self-disciplined, secure in their superior abilities, resilient, and most importantly they will have the power to pick themselves up from any roadblocks they may stumble upon and keep on trekking forward. It may be tough, Abby and the mothers may demand nothing but the best, but it would be absolutely ludicrous if these mothers paid TOP DOLLARS to support their daughters at the very elite levels of dance and not expect their kids’ performances to be of the highest caliber.
Ms. Miller is an elite trainer who produces competition champions who evolve into top notch employable professional dancers. She is not one of those run-of-the-mill “McDance” schools where the trainer will happily drop on their knees and kiss a child’s butt Muah Muah Muah Muah Muah Muah Muah no matter how terrible they are if the parents keep writing checks. This is horrible because the kids grow up with a false sense of security in their abilities and confidence that is not warranted. Those dance professors are corrupt in my mind because they put their pocketbooks above the best interests of their pupils.

PittsburghMama

Posted at 10:14 AM on February 22, 2012

Dance Moms: There are 509 SEX OFFENDERS in the city of Pittsburgh, with an additional 38 in Penn Hills boro, 31 in Monroeville boro, and 13 plum boro. Nationwide the Total is 747,408! With this in mind, how can you put your girls out there like this? I understand that they can’t live in a bubble – but you have the ability to monitor and limit those you bring into their lives. They are more vulnerable due to your decision.

You can enjoy dance without exploiting your beautiful daughters on nationwide television. I can only hope that you were bright enough to use fake last names, since they are popping up everywhere from news articles to facebook accounts. Maybe I watch too much Nancy Grace, but the world is not a safe place for our kids. Obviously safety isn’t a concern here, or they wouldn’t be letting Abby wreck havoc on their child’s self esteem. They have instilled the “people pleaser syndrome” in their little girls for years to come. They say they don’t want to disappoint Abby, but I think we all know it’s MOM the girls really care about. Who are they really dancing for? MOM!

ShockednConfused

Posted at 4:25 AM on February 22, 2012

Who could have imagined a world where both Maddie and Chloe would be on the bottom row of the pyramid…absolutely speechless.

ShockednConfused

Posted at 4:25 AM on February 22, 2012

I”m sorry, I meant Maddie and Mackenzie

JJ

Posted at 1:38 PM on February 26, 2014

It’s only because Abby is bipolar and does the pyramid to be hurtful. Have you not listened to her reasoning on why she puts girls where she puts them on there?

Mark

Posted at 4:07 AM on February 22, 2012

I don’t usually post on internet forums, but I felt that I had to voice my opinion after following this discussion board. First let me start off by saying that I am a casual television viewer and enjoy a wide variety of reality shows of all genres. For the most part they are simple, fun, and easy to follow without much concentration, making them a terrific way to unwind after a hard day’s work. That being said, let me state that Dance Moms has been my all time favorite reality show to date, and I have anxiously awaited every new episode that is produced. I was disappointed when Lifetime did not post last week’s episode on their website, so of course I caved in and paid good money to purchase the episode off of itunes, and when the download finished I immediately proceeded to start “Living on the Dance Floor!” I marveled at the introduction, what a way to kick things off with Mackenzie reaching the peak of the pyramid…woot! woot!
I understand this is a very personal opinion, and I understand the validity of always trying something new and evolving the genre, but I sorely missed the group dance. To me, the group dances are the most artistic routines and I love the way they convey a story to the viewer. Furthermore, I did not like the way that no attention was paid to the story behind any of the solo dances. Some of my favorite solos have been ones that told an emotional story that moved us, such as Maddie Ziegler’s “Disappear” performance last season, and “Jubilation Bells” from this season. Who can forget the legendary “Black Swan” duo as well from the national championships last season. Perhaps if some of the solos this past episode told a story I would have been more satisfied. But do not get me wrong. Did I enjoy the dances? Of course! They were of the quality I have come to expect and marvel at from Abby Lee studio. The episode was decent, no particular qualms come to mind when I think about it, but nothing too spectacular either. On a side note, it did validate my opinion that Abby Lee is not only a gifted choreography, but an amazing life coach as well, teaching these girls the fallacy of materialism by having them dance in spectacular costumes that were made at home rather than purchased for hundreds of dollars.

Roger

Posted at 3:59 AM on February 22, 2012

I liked last night’s episode. I’ve seen better, and I’ve seen far worse, but all in all it met my expectations of a Dance Moms episode. My emotions are similarly mixed about this current season, and although I do not personally find anything about it terribly offensive, I can understand the reasons behind some of the complaints made against it (some of the scenes may touch on the individual viewer if there are already bad childhood memories there). I think what is lacking this season is a true breakthrough performance from the girls that captures our hearts and imaginations. Paige did a terrific job winning her first competition, but it wasn’t exactly on the caliber of Chloe’s “Dream on a Star” from last season which gave a lot of us goosebumps just from watching our television screens. There have been very few moments this season where I was overcome with the desire to just stop and reflect on how utterly brilliant and remarkable these little girls are, and the closest was Maddie’s “Girl I Wanna Be” performance. On a positive note, there is more of a story this season that lets us follow the personal lives and drama of the mothers closely. However, I myself would rather prefer a deeper emphasis on the girls and their dancing than “mama drama.” Just my humble opinion.

John

Posted at 9:01 PM on February 21, 2012

Being a Brit and a Londoner, I am allowed to say “BLOODY HELL! WHAT A SHOW!” Because I live overseas, it has taken a while for me to obtain the series and I am only a couple episodes into the first season, having just watched “Electricity,” but its already an awesome show. For those of you who have not yet seen the series, I won’t give anything away here but I was simply enthralled by the story. I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next, and how the girls performed. You’re immersed in the show from the beginning moments and there were several times when I had to stop now and then to get my blood pressure down, that Abby Lee is so intense and sometimes I cannot handle all of her intensity and attitude without stepping away. It was also really fun to go online and find out what we got right in the show and what we did not, from scrolling the forums I could tell that the competition results are apparently not reported 100 percent accurately on the show. Besides that, there is nothing to complain about this show. The drama is great, the dances are incredible, the moms are snarky, and the ambiance/mood is absolutely enthralling! Great job Lifetime! I believe this will be the defining show of the network.

gbtw

Posted at 2:40 AM on February 22, 2012

are you for real??? i mean, seriously- are you?

John

Posted at 12:42 PM on February 22, 2012

Yes, absolutely

Heidi

Posted at 2:42 PM on February 21, 2012

I watched the first episode a couple weeks ago…. Abby Lee Miller is a fat pig who treats those children horribly. As far as all those “Dance Moms” go – they all need to have their daughters taken away from them. NO WAY IN HELL would a “normal” person let someone talk to a child like that.

The show should be taken off the air along with those “teen mom” shows!!!!

gbtw

Posted at 4:38 PM on February 21, 2012

have not and will not watch the show. agree with all points above, just from the previews. i was on a team once where the whole team feared the wrath of the coach. it’s not healthy. it’s not necessary. and the coach was as f’ed up as this woman must be- compensating for her own low self esteem by controlling and belittling children. disgusting. she is a fat pig, and tho the foolish moms need to have their head examined, almost all of the parents that witnessed my irate coach thought he was great, too. unfortunately, many people don’t have an understanding of how detrimental it is to a young girl’s esteem to have someone speak to them that way. that the end result might be a win does not change that. it’s not healthy. period. and yes, she’s a fat miserable pig who doesn’t deserve the light those girls shine on her.

Mary Lou

Posted at 10:56 AM on June 18, 2012

Abby’s weight has nothing to do with the show, the girls, the moms, or any other aspect of the situation. Why would you be so cruel as to call names. Sounds like YOU are the one who is cruel and cutting at someone’s self esteem….

DMUNI

Posted at 5:59 PM on February 24, 2012

Who wants to be normal when you can be EXTRAORDINARY?
Normal people do not become megastars who inspire the lives of billions around the world.

seldls

Posted at 6:11 AM on May 4, 2013

the only thing in those girls futures is a lot counseling and a job at the best strip club in vegas. ya know cause they are so talented and all.

boo