'Smash' Recap: Julia's Dark Secret Threatens 'Marilyn'

Mon, February 20, 2012 11:00pm EDT by 9 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Plus, am I the only one hoping Ellis gets hit by a bus? Like, a really big one?

With Ivy (Megan Hilty) firmly in place as Marilyn Monroe, the Feb. 20 episode of Smash focused on Marilyn‘s creative team searching for the perfect leading man to play Joe DiMaggio. And because the drama is never relegated to the stage alone, the plum role went to Michael Swift (Will Chase), who may or may not have had an affair with Julia (Debra Messing) back in the day. Someone hand me a spoon, because this plot has officially thickened.

Of course, I’d be remiss if I mentioned Michael without also ripping apart his performance of Bruno Mars‘ “Grenade.” The performance itself proved that he’ll make a fine addition to Marilyn, but the fact that the performance happened at all made me want to rip my hair out. It was cheesier than anything I’ve ever seen on Glee, and it gave me so much secondhand embarrassment, I could barely find the strength to keep watching.

But somehow, as we all must do in times of deep despair, I managed to continue on.

And speaking of continuing on, Karen (Katharine McPhee) decided to take a little trip home to regain her confidence. And thanks to a rousing, yet completely random, karaoke performance of “Redneck Woman,” that’s exactly what she did! Even her super-smiley dad admitted she’s got serious talent and isn’t wasting her time on Broadway.

On a slightly less positive note, Tom’s (Christian Borle) assistant Ellis (Jaime Cepero) has officially been upgraded from “slight nuisance” to “massive pain in the ass.” Not only is he permanently lurking in the shadows, soaking up every secret he can, but the little weasel actually stole Julia’s notebook — you know, the one containing all of her notes about Marilyn.

What did you think of this week’s Smash? Do you hate Ellis as much as I do? And how long do you think it’ll take Julia and Michael to hook up again? Head to the comments section with your thoughts!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Smash updates

Liz

Posted at 3:09 AM on March 29, 2012

SEMI-TRAILER ELLIS!!! Argh he is that character that drives you nuts from the get-go! If this was a murder mystery program or a horror-thriller I’d be on the edge of my seat praying for his death under my breath!

Yeah Right!

Posted at 11:33 PM on March 7, 2012

I love this show but I hope sooo much Ivy doesn’t get the part and Karen does! I’m sure it’s set up this way to make the audience suffer…it will be so sweet when Karen gets it. She’s clearly the better choice.

Charlotte

Posted at 2:49 PM on February 23, 2012

Great episode, Smash is becoming my favorite show! And I saw that next week Karen is going to be performing “Adele’s Rumor Has It”, so excited for this! http://www.nbc.com/smash/video/rumor-has-it/1384854

Leo

Posted at 2:23 AM on February 21, 2012

Leo

Posted at 2:22 AM on February 21, 2012

I think it was a good episode, and sets up a lot of the storylines for the season.

.com/2012/02/smash-ep3-love-is-found-at-brooklyn.html

yaz

Posted at 11:37 PM on February 20, 2012

Ellis needs to get busted big-time! Does anybody else think that Derek was lying about the whole gas line thing? I’m loving Anjelica Houston’s character.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:03 AM on February 21, 2012

I’m loving Anjelica Houston too, but I think they might be overdoing it with the whole “drink in the face” bit.

groucho

Posted at 3:28 PM on February 21, 2012

Well, yes they are overdoing it, but I still look forward to it. That’s part of the fun of Smash, that they can do things like that. Hell, even Jerry knows it’s coming by now. I’m getting so lost in the Broadway in jokes that maybe I’m just enjoying the one running joke I CAN follow. (Actually I love the show.)

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:04 PM on February 21, 2012

Ellis’ existence has become a running joke. He is the WORST.