'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: Is Melissa 'A'? Is Maya Dead?

Mon, February 20, 2012 9:22pm EDT by 33 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

‘A’ dug up old secrets — and new suspects — on the Feb. 20 episode.

Some new faces resurfaced in Rosewood on the Feb. 20 episode of Pretty Little Liars – and they both picked the drama back up right where they left it. Not only did Paige’s (Lindsey Shaw) return complicate Emily’s (Shay Mitchell) already frazzled emotions, but Melissa’s (Torrey DeVitto) arrival stirred up suspicion that she may have been the one who killed Alison (Sasha Pieterse)! Like I said: Drama.

Let’s start with Emily and Paige: After spending some quality time together, and listening to Emily bitch about her problems with Maya (Bianca Lawson), Paige seized the opportunity and went in for a kiss. Emily was quick to shut her down, though, before storming off into the night. (Sorry, Paige. But at least your hair looks good now! That’s something.)

Meanwhile, Aria (Lucy Hale) and her band of mystery solving liars thought they tracked down “A”‘s home address — until it turned out to be an old law office inhabited by a crazy old man, whose penchant for screaming is matched only by his love of grimy knit hats. We later learned that Melissa interned at that law office, putting her at the top of the girls’ “A” suspect list!

In other “A” news, Rosewood’s text terrorist decided to set his/her/their sights on a brand-new target: Mona (Janel Parrish)! And even though she tried to play it cool, Hanna (Ashley Benson) eventually cracked and spilled a good portion of the beans. When “A” threatened to expose Hanna’s mom for stealing all those dollars last season, Mona saved her by turning herself in for shoplifting. I think I might actually like her now.

Spencer (Troisan Bellisario) also had herself a little tea time with Wren (Julian Morris) this week after bumping into him in town. In no time flat, he had her back at his apartment and attached to his mouth. It was definitely hot, and it would have been hotter — if only he wasn’t a doctor taking hardcore advantage of a high-school student.

And speaking of statutory romances, Ezra (Ian Harding) is finally starting to make some sense. He told Aria their relationship isn’t going to work, and just when hope seemed lost, Ella (Holly Marie Combs) stepped in to keep “Ezria” alive! Believe me, I’m just as surprised as you are.

So what did you think of this week’s PLL? Is Melissa really “A”? Could Garrett be the real father of her baby? And what the heck happened to Maya? Hit up the comments section with your theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Pretty Little Liars updates

ilia

Posted at 7:30 AM on May 26, 2013

At the last scene when we can see A it seems like he touches so he can see where the bullets are. So a clue is that A is blind or something like that, so Jenna!! <3

Ayanna

Posted at 9:15 PM on March 19, 2012

iT’S MONA

lanette pate

Posted at 9:32 PM on February 27, 2012

IT to hard to guess who A- is but i think jenna can see and on march 19 she will let us know she can see its the way she looks at them when they are in the room i think she can see. but i can not wait too see what will happen i love this show and i hope it stays on for a long time i am a big fan.

A

Posted at 5:03 AM on February 25, 2012

There has to be more than one A! Ali was being harassed by A before she died .. I think this A is different to the A now harassing the girls. Didn’t maya move into ali’s house in the 1st episode?? She’s always been a bit of a creep with a weird look in her eye ;) so I think she found something in the house telling her secrets anmd now she’s using it as A!! I don’t think she went to rehab for drugs .. Maybe she started to feel bad and needed to get away because she was falling for Emily!?

Juls

Posted at 10:36 PM on February 24, 2012

what the heck happenned to maya????????

johnny

Posted at 8:46 PM on February 23, 2012

I think maya is the one who dies.

holly

Posted at 11:05 PM on February 23, 2012

ya i think its maya who dies and now that i think about it maybe that other cop not garret but the other one good have a part in being A or killing ali

emma

Posted at 7:19 PM on February 23, 2012

I dont think it could be toby.. he was just to obsessed with spencer.. and why would he hurt himself by falling of that ladder… but that does make since if he was trying to trick everyone into thinking he is not A.

btw- where did Toby end up going after the hospital? He has not been in the last few episodes?

Emma

Posted at 7:13 PM on February 23, 2012

I have mixed feelings about who A is. I really feel its more than 1 person, if it was only a girl there is no way she could defend herself against 4 other girls or out run the girls like the scene in the green house. To say it is actually Hannah, Spencer, Aria or Emily seems to far fetched. My predictions are for A is: Mona, Toby, Lucas(He was just to creepy in the lakehouse episode) Jenna or/and Garrett.

I will be shocked if it is:
Ezra
Caleb
Maya

Oh and what was up with A taking (forget whos) fathers gun from his desk.. wonder if A is going to frame the dad?

kristan

Posted at 5:32 PM on February 23, 2012

Ok only suspects you think was “a” would be jenna who I don’t think is blind and useing the eye surigry as a accuse to to covor up her lie and I think there is more then 4 a and if those “a”s Why would they hurt each other mona is now getting harrassed think bout that

T

Posted at 12:43 PM on February 23, 2012

i think toby might be ‘a’ and if not i wouldn’t mind him being the one that dies, because i’m team WRENCER all the way, ever since episode 1 i loved them together! really hope they’ll last and that toby won’t just come back to town and steal wren’s thunder!!!

Erin

Posted at 11:47 AM on February 23, 2012

I think that Jenna is not blind and it’s just a game to get the girls all nervous. I also think that Melissa is A because she lives across the street from Alison’s old house and she could easily easdrop on the girls because she lives in the same house as Spencer.

Anna

Posted at 12:40 AM on February 23, 2012

Sorry below i meant to write I personally do NOT believe Mona is A.

Anna

Posted at 12:39 AM on February 23, 2012

I personally do believe that Mona is A. She is A in the books, and according to Lucy Hales interview, they are doing it totally different. However, it almost seems as if “Vivian” is going to turn out to be Courtney from the books…I hope they are not going in this direction as that is not exactly changing from the books. I want to be shocked when I find out. Also, I think Spencer knows more than we think and I think she may be playing everyone. A has gone after everyone, the only thing A has really done to Spencer had to do with Toby…unless Toby was all a hoax. She seems to be over Toby very quickly as she was making out w/ Melissa’s x fiance..odd. Its been made clear that Spencer and Ally were competitors. However, I think they are trying to distract us from the fact that A does not bother Spencer much. After all, so much is going on all at once and it makes it easy for us to forget. I think when Spencer was confronting Ian in the church..its not what we think. I think maybe she is trying to outwardly tell him that she is framing him for Allisons murder. I think her and Melissa might have commited the crime and tried to frame Ian with the “secret woods video” of Allison and Ian. Idk just throwing ideas out there!

aashley bender

Posted at 12:33 AM on February 23, 2012

i tihnk ur right.

Holly

Posted at 10:59 PM on February 22, 2012

and also why i think its paige is bc she said she likes PAIGE to date emily better than maya but i still sorta like maya sometimes but then again she smokes watever its called XD and went to rehab who would want to date her?

Holly

Posted at 10:55 PM on February 22, 2012

I think Melissa killed ali. I think A could be Paige or Ezra or maybe garret but that just seems to obvious. I think Paige killed maya because she is missing now and paige suddenly wants to date emily and have your all to herself. I also think its ezra bc i think he was the one who put the note on byrons car bc he has a type writer and knew where aria was going that night.

T

Posted at 12:39 PM on February 23, 2012

i disagree, i don’t think ezra is ‘a’ because that wouldn’t really make sense. if he was ‘a’, why would he just leave the restaurant with a really shoked face? and also the pll crew LOVE ezria. but that’s just my opinion, maybe ezra is ‘a’, i mean he was 1 of my suspects also, but really don’t think so.

Lauri

Posted at 7:17 PM on February 21, 2012

I think Hanna is A or the person behind or instructing the group….but they: Garret, Jenna, Jason etc don’t know it’s her.

Ali Hart

Posted at 8:40 AM on February 21, 2012

1. Jenna and Garret most probably killed Alison – unless they killed someone else, and p. 5 is missing from someone’s else’s murder file!
2. Is Garrett Melissa’s baby daddy?
3. I hope Maya’s dead or gone – for once Paige was right, the bitch was only using Emily
4. Speaking of Paige and Maya – I preferred Samara (Claire, get back from MF!)
5. Where the eff was Haleb?
6. I actually clapped when Ezra told all those things to Aria – their relationship is just, urghh, too forced and all the sparks are gone.
7. Is Dr. Sullivan going to be back by finale? I hope so

Biggest shocker? Melissa interning for that law firm – talk about creepy!

Who’s A? I read somewhere it’s someone from the Pilot ep and it’s a girl, so:
Melissa or Maya or Jenna or Mona
SN: notice how all the four girls have an A in them?

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:11 PM on February 21, 2012

Aria and Ezra’s “relationship is just, urghh, too forced and all the sparks are gone.”

YES! AGREE!

Destiny

Posted at 12:12 AM on February 21, 2012

I really have no idea who A is but i think Garrett and Jenna killed Alison because in a few episodes back when the girls were arrested, Garrett said their is no evidence of us linking us to that night and then Jenna said Alison deserved to die like that! But A I have no idea who A is!

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:11 PM on February 21, 2012

I feel like Jenna would have a tough time killing Allison, what with her being blind and whatnot. But who knows?

Sarah

Posted at 11:31 PM on February 20, 2012

I think Maya got arrested, Melissa didn’t kill Alison, and I think that Mona, Lucas, and Melissa are “A”. It makes sense Lucas is tech savvy, Mona is popular and gets invited to all the parties, meaning she could keep a close eye on the liars, and Melissa can keep tabs on Spencer. Plus she doesn’t seem like a prime suspect. They all have a motive to hate the girls

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:53 PM on February 20, 2012

I’m starting to think “A” is four people — one for each girl. Maybe Maya is Emily’s “A.”

kriskris

Posted at 12:10 AM on February 21, 2012

but why wold there be 4 a’s, when a sends a text to all of them they all say the same message so why would there be.

Elina

Posted at 12:00 PM on February 21, 2012

I think A is Melissa but i’m almost sure there isn’t just she.Maybe you’re right Andy Swift :”A” is 4 people one for each girl…. Maya is Emily’s A, Mona is Hannah’s A,Melissa is Spencer’s A, but i don’t see who can be Aria’s A?

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:12 PM on February 21, 2012

Maybe Aria’s “A” is Jackie ;)

AmandaJai

Posted at 12:46 AM on February 21, 2012

I think you’re exactly right Sarah.

Amy

Posted at 9:38 PM on February 20, 2012

what did the police say to Emily at the end?

Lisa

Posted at 9:46 PM on February 20, 2012

they said something like “we have some news about Maya”. something along those lines

TENEYA PEYTON

Posted at 9:51 PM on February 20, 2012

THEY WERE ABOUT TO TELL HER ABOUT MAYA

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:41 PM on February 20, 2012

I think they want us to assume that Maya is dead, but my guess is that she’s missing. You know how “A” likes to make people disappear…