'Vampire Diaries' Recap: 'Good' Stefan Returns & Elena Tells Damon To 'Get Over It'

Thu, February 16, 2012 9:43pm EDT by 102 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

There was a major shift in power on this week’s episode — and I’m not just talking about those wacky Originals!

I’m glad Damon (Ian Somerhalder) had his fun with Rebekah (Claire Holt) last week, because their little romp in the sack — while it was, no doubt, super hot — had some serious repercussions on the Feb. 16 episode of The Vampire Diaries. For starters, Elena (Nina Dobrev) literally watched Rebekah do her walk of shame, and even though Damon claimed the hookup had “nothing to do with” Elena, I think we can all agree he just needs to cut the crap.

Stefan (Paul Wesley) certainly agrees, as he also confronted Damon — again — about his feelings for Mystic Falls’ most eligible doppelganger. “She’s better off without me,” Stefan told his broody bro. “And she’s sure as hell better off without you.” Granted, that was all said before Damon realized that Stefan hasn’t had human blood since the night he threatened to drive Elena off the same bridge where her parents died. So, hey, maybe Stefan’s back in the game after all!

But beyond the usual romantic angst, there was also some serious vampire drama going down this week. While Bonnie (Kat Graham) and Abby (Persia White) agreed to help Esther (Alice Evans) with her spell to kill all of her children — seriously, she’s worse than that lady who drowned her kids in a car — the rest of the Originals threatened to kill Elena if Damon and his crew didn’t help them stop her.

And because Elena is permanently in the way of everyone, a new plan was devised to stop Esther’s spell. And it involved Damon snapping Bonnie’s mom’s neck and — you guessed it — turning her into a vampire. It’s a shame Bill Forbes (Jack Coleman) is dead now, because he and Abby could have had some fun with compulsion at the next Mystic Falls High School PTA meeting.

Meanwhile, Klaus (Joseph Morgan) moved forward with Operation Get-In-Caroline’s-Pants this week — and, believe it or not, it almost worked. He managed to woo Caroline (Candice Accola) with his thick accent and fancy British lingo (only the finest of gentleman can get away with calling a girl “love”), but it all fell apart when he caught wind of Damon’s little plan to dagger all of the Originals at once.

And then there’s Elijah (Daniel Gillies). Esther may have accused him of not being noble, but screw that. He’s the most noble vampire this show has ever introduced us to. He even left Elena a touching goodbye note before splitting town at the end of the episode! Speaking of Elena, those two actually seem to have some burgeoning chemistry. If he didn’t look so much older than her, I’d say they should pull a Damon-and-Rebekah.

Oh, did I forget to mention that Meredith (Torrey DeVitto) totally shot Alaric (Matt Davis) at the end of the episode? Because she totally shot Alaric at the end of the episode. I love Torrey, but she is doomed to play a gun-toting psycho for the rest of her career. Good thing she does it so well!

OK, let’s talk about what went down this week: Are you excited for the return of “good” Stefan? Do you still want to see Klaus and Caroline get together? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how worried are you about Alaric? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

molly

Posted at 4:25 PM on February 17, 2012

I am not excited for the old Stefan, but glad for not the completely off the rocker Stefan. I totally like the Klaus and Caroline thing. Even Klaus deserves some kind of relationship. And finally I don’t believe that Meredith is exactly evil, I think there is more to her than meets the eye.

Negrita

Posted at 3:58 PM on February 17, 2012

Damon and Elena should b 2 gether I think Stefan is so boring 4 her

Amber

Posted at 3:45 PM on February 17, 2012

Does anyone else think that after dragging out the Stefan then Damon then Stefan then Damon that they inevitably will do,that they really should give the “it’s okay to love them both” a real shot? It seems to be the “curse” of the doppelganger, so why not just go with it? There’s a lot of bad blood between the brothers, but there’s also an unshakable bond. They’ve shared before and I think it would make for lots of funny and lots of steamy scenes. It’d be good tv, but I know the writers are wary as it’s not a ‘socially acceptable’ solution, but I think the viewers could handle it. It’s a vampire show after all – nearly every vampire show pushes the envelope with the relationships.

Amber

Posted at 3:27 PM on February 17, 2012

I like this in between Stefan – I dig the tortured characters. I want him to prove himself just enough that Elena is having to seriously choose between he and Damon. Then I want so seriously snarky monologue from Damon about how he knows he’s going to loose, but they have to admit he’s been the better guy all along – go through all the previous things he’s done where he’s actually had the high road all around. Then he gives up and starts to walk away and Elena agrees with him and chooses him. I want complete confusion, then elation from Damon. Yeah. That’d be awesome. Stefan can lose his shit for an episode or two, then hook up with Katherine and they can ride that line together. I dig Caroline with Klaus more than Tyler. She’s so solidly good, I think she’d temper him. I also like Matt with Rebekah. He brings out her simple little girl – it’s sweet. I adore Alaric, but he and Damon need to be BFFs again. I’m very worried they’re going to take the ring away and he’s going to become the new Jenna.

Melika

Posted at 2:48 PM on February 17, 2012

Yes I am excited for Stefan!!! Team stelena forever!!
I’m not that excited for carolin and klaus because Tyler is trying so hard to fix himself and get back to carolin , so it’s just not right for Caroline to be with klaus!!
On the scale of 1 to 10, I can say 8!

Lexi.

Posted at 1:22 PM on February 17, 2012

Honestly, I hate Elena more and more after every single episode. Hasn’t she noticed that she’s the reason of all that mess around Mystic Falls?
And now Elijah (love you!) has a crisis and will probably leave town. Great.
The Original Bitch is just… Can’t find words to describe her…
I just hope that Klaus didn’t burn his feeling to Caroline with those drawnings and will back to game.
xoxo

mvk

Posted at 12:57 PM on February 17, 2012

I was so glad Elena was jealous when she saw Rebekah and that Damon told her that not everything he does is about her. He used a good line to knock a down a peg. She needed it.

mvk

Posted at 12:52 PM on February 17, 2012

GeminiGems has nailed it. Good Stefan is boring, Elena should hook up with Elijah. They are good together. And I would love to see Klaus and Carolyn get together. Klaus seems to have changed a lot. Damon needs someone really special that he can care for. We all knew Meridith wasn’t going to be good for Alaric. Maybe Damon will come in and save the day again.

GeminiGems

Posted at 12:00 PM on February 17, 2012

I want Elena to get with Elijah I can totally see the chemistry there.

I liked Stefan better as the bad boy. The good Stefan was sooo boring.

I really, really, really want Klaus & Carolyn to hook up. I was not feeling her with Tyler.

Alina

Posted at 11:44 AM on February 17, 2012

Damon…I love you

#Stelena

Posted at 11:37 AM on February 17, 2012

Am i excited for the return of old stefan? YESS!
Carolinr and Klaus? Yes
Ric: 10 !!! He cant die :( .. i love him!

Tbh, Elena should’nt be with any off them but im a huge Stelena fan, i dont believe in her and damon. They dont mix, it shows in that eps when she rang stefan first which one she tinks of first. I’m hopin that in the end she does end up with Stefan but keep a bit a baddness still with him. Damons better of with the crazy ones, he would be too annoying with Elena..

PS: How is she getting annoying? its called ACTING! Shes amazing! Unreal actor, shes not really doing this you no?

#STELENA FOR LIFE:D<3

Ash

Posted at 11:16 AM on February 17, 2012

Would love to see a mixture of the old n new Stefan. Wud definitely make it more interesting. And yes for klaus and caroline I think that Meredith is possessed by one of the ghosts of the vampires from the tomb. Why else would she b after the council members and act all serial killerish.

Masearte

Posted at 10:55 AM on February 17, 2012

I’m kinda exicted to see the good Stefan come back because that is who he is and I love that about him although I have to admit Ripper Stefan was entertaining but I miss old Stefan. I’m conflicted with Carioline and Klaus her and Klaus are hot but I like her with Tyler to, I have to say I was exicted seeing there scenes together yesterday’s episode and am finding myself leaning more towards them. That part including the D/S brotherly moments were the only entertaining parts of this epiosde. I’m worried about Alaric I don’t want him to die!!!!!and I am even more irratated with Elena then the previous episode,first she calls Stefan then Damon and when he is pissed which he has every right to be considering she broke his heart into a million pieces she says “Get over it” then she has the nerve to be jelous and heart when she sees Damon and Rebbecca really? even though I have to admit it was entertaining see her jelous it still kinda of made me made she doesn’t have the right to be mad at Damon. I used to be able to sit and watch Elena and Stefan together but now I can’t every time there is a scene with them together I leave the room or change the channel until it’s over with the writters need to change her back again because she is really pissing me off yes I get she made mistakes but I thought in this episode she would admit them, but instead she say “Get over it” she should have said “I’m sorry Damon” just three words uuuuhhhhh! just had to vent all I know is I’m starting to get ignoed with this D/E/S triangle for me it’s chose Damon which looking at the direction it’s heading probbaly but just not Stefan as much as I love him I can’t watch there scenes together anymore without wanting to throw something.

jackio

Posted at 4:51 PM on February 17, 2012

ditto

Ali Hart

Posted at 10:42 AM on February 17, 2012

Are you excited for the return of “good” Stefan? Yess. <3
Do you still want to see Klaus and Caroline get together? YESS
And on a scale of 1 to 10, how worried are you about Alaric? A ton, I like him loads!

One thing that bothered me in this episode was Candice's acting. I love her, and she's an amazing actress but this week was so forced. And also that quote in the end about Elena, she made it sound like everything is Elena's fault (seriously bothered me)! Producers take note: Candice doesn't do pissed – she's terrible! Her acting is at its best when she's a bubbly charact.

asma

Posted at 10:42 AM on February 17, 2012

stefan was better off with Klaus, damon and elena were so good together…..:'(

Angela

Posted at 10:09 AM on February 17, 2012

So excited for old ‘good’ Stefan to come back because he is not boring as you are saying,that’s just the way it has to be,that’s his personality and I love him so much that way!!

Klaus and Caroline,please be together!!!It would be wonderful if they are(together).

Alaric won’t die!But I’m not so sure,so I should probably say that I’m worried about him and that would be 6. :)

michelle

Posted at 9:44 AM on February 17, 2012

I’m really excited to get Stefan back…he’s beautiful and his relationship with Elena is perfect!!!He’s like coming home!! I love their chemistry and true understanding of one another. It’s also amazing how much they both love Damon!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:04 AM on February 17, 2012

It’s true. All of the love for Damon!

bella

Posted at 9:12 AM on February 17, 2012

Stefan and Elena <3 all their amazing scenes with so much emotion but I want Damon to be happy he is my favorite character it would be funny if he got another "pretend" girlfriend again lol. Meridith has to go I'm not a big fan of Torrey devittos work.

Rhiannon

Posted at 9:07 AM on February 17, 2012

What annoyed me most was even though she called Stefan first, the last episode she Hurt Damon and basically showed that she still loves Stefan with all her heart and then this episode she gets all jealous it’s like the writers are giving Stefan and Elena a episode and then Damon and Elena a episode it’s annoying me. Damon is better wing bad and Stefan and Elena are better off being together orthough I miss the Elena from season 1 and 2.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:05 AM on February 17, 2012

“I miss the Elena from season 1 and 2.”

I miss EVERYONE from season 1 and 2 :(

CC

Posted at 7:54 AM on February 17, 2012

They have dragged the triangle out for too long. People are getting fed up with the same old repetitive crap. I’ve given up on Delena’s one step forward, ten back. It’s getting old. That being said, Stelena makes me head for the fast forward button.

Good Stefan = Boring, liked him with an edge.
Klaus and Caroline = Sure why not. It’s fresh.
Alaric = Nah, they wouldn’t get rid of Matt Davis, no way!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:06 AM on February 17, 2012

“They have dragged the triangle out for too long.”

I think a lot of people are thinking this now.

Raquel M.

Posted at 7:50 AM on February 17, 2012

Are you excited for the return of “good” Stefan?
– No. Stefan is just boring and I defenitly want Elena to at least have a real shot with Damon.

Do you still want to see Klaus and Caroline get together?
– YES! Klaus knows how to be a complete gentleman when he wants. Too bad that he knows how to be an assholl too! And I agree with you, only the finest of gentleman can get away with calling a girl “love”.

And on a scale of 1 to 10, how worried are you about Alaric?
– Whatever. I don’t care.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:05 AM on February 17, 2012

You wouldn’t care if Alaric died? Gurl, you crazy.

Leslie

Posted at 7:22 AM on February 17, 2012

I would love to see Stefan and Elena get back together, but both have been through so much, I am sure they will stretch it out until the very end. I love Klaus and caroline, (feel bad for poor Tyler though), I think Caroline brings out the little bit of humanity left in Klaus. I hope he wins her over, if not as a girlfriend, maybe just as a friend,…but really would like to see Klaus have a love interest. Just wonder if he would be able to love someone more than he wants to be bad. I don’t want Elijah to leave. I like him! He is such a gentlemen. I really don’t care about the Alaric/Meridith storyline, just feel bad that Alaric can’t ever just be happy. Also felt bad for Bonnie.She is right, when the sh*t hits the fan,everyone has to sacrafice in order to save Elena,and she always catches it in the a**. She needs to leave town, and get far away from Elena before she gets killed.

Sophia

Posted at 6:53 AM on February 17, 2012

Are you excited for the return of “good” Stefan? – NO
Do you still want to see Klaus and Caroline get together? HELL YES!!!!
And on a scale of 1 to 10, how worried are you about
Alaric? – 0

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:06 AM on February 17, 2012

Ah, you’re a “bad” Stefan fan, I take it?

Nicole

Posted at 6:48 AM on February 17, 2012

The only reason I still watch is for Klaroline! I don’t curr who ends up with Elena. -.-

d.harris

Posted at 6:43 AM on February 17, 2012

klaus and caroline— hell no.klaus is so unpredictable.