Damon's New Girlfriend Sage On 'The Vampire Diaries': Why He Deserves Her

Wed, February 15, 2012 4:08pm EST by 43 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Is Damon’s new lady friend going to nurse his bruises left by Elena? I hope so!

Unlike many Vampire Diaries fans out there, my first reaction upon hearing that Damon (Ian Somerhalder) was getting himself a new potential love interest was nothing short of joy. OK fine, maybe a little jealousy too. As reported by TV Guide, former Smallville baddie Cassidy Freeman will join the show as Sage, a “murky” vamp who will first appear in a 1912 flashback before reuniting with Damon in present-day Mystic Falls.

So why am I so excited for Damon to be getting some non-Elena (Nina Dobrev) action in his life?

Because he deserves it, that’s why! As much as I love seeing Damon and Stefan (Paul Wesley) battle for Elena’s affections week after week after week after week (x 1,000), I’m also tired of seeing Damon’s supernatural libido going tragically to waste. Sorry, Elena, but you can only string a guy on for so long before he decides you’re not worth the effort.

My only piece of advice to Sage? Enjoy your time in Mystic Falls while you can! Damon’s girlfriends — see Andie (Dawn Olivieri) and Rose (Lauren Cohan) — have a history of suddenly dropping dead.

What’s your take on Sage as a potential love interest for Damon? Do you think he’ll just want to make Elena jealous, or could he really have feelings for someone else? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

MysticGirl

Posted at 6:17 AM on February 18, 2012

Yes, bring a new girl in for him. im not a fan of him and Elena becuz ive noticed that she is showing alot that shes still in love with Stefan. She thught of him wen she first woke up, showing that wen she rang him. She wasnt jealous of him sleeping with smeone else, it was the fact that is was with rebecca. I’m hoping hel take the time to be with this one and make it something speacil. I love damon but i also love Stelena together.

Candace

Posted at 3:11 AM on February 17, 2012

This new girlfriend should be perfect bate or however you spell it to reel elena in she will defiantly be with him now :D.

Boo

Posted at 10:40 PM on February 16, 2012

Fag.

Hannah

Posted at 9:27 PM on February 16, 2012

Elena is already jealous over the Rebecca situation so there’s no need to bring another ‘love interest’ into it! Delena will be together in the end so he can’t give up on Elena for someone else, just no!

ashley

Posted at 9:19 PM on February 16, 2012

It killssss me to see damon hurt by elena but I want them to end up together ugh its agonizing. Damon cares for her so much… hopefully sage will make elena reallllll jealous haha

sasha

Posted at 11:08 AM on February 16, 2012

yes Damon! I’m totally in for it.. Elena’s going to finally realize what Damon means to her! I want damon to be happy. but then eventually end up w/ Elena!! <3

DSalva

Posted at 7:29 AM on February 16, 2012

Maybe it turns out she is gay and go for Elena like everyone els does ;)
Ok I’m happy that Damon can have a girlfriend, the question is how long before she’ll die?

emily

Posted at 1:20 AM on February 16, 2012

While your at it get torrey devitto off the show. She is not cw material keep her on pretty little liars where she belongs.

D.A.M.O.N

Posted at 1:19 AM on February 16, 2012

She hasn’t even been on there yet and I already want her dead. I’d prefer it if he was hooking up with Rebekah. Elena needs to choose between Stefan and Damon already – it’s painful watching Damon suffer.

emily

Posted at 1:09 AM on February 16, 2012

Damon is pretty hot. (As I point to the comment below mine)

emily

Posted at 1:01 AM on February 16, 2012

If your gonna get someone to fool around with Damon at least do the show a favor and make her as attractive as him.

Melisant

Posted at 11:05 PM on February 15, 2012

I can’t wait. Cassidy Freeman is beautiful, really commands a scene and really stands out. She and Damon would make a phenomenally beautiful pair. I don’t like Elena playing fickle, emotionally manipulative, and backstabbing (at times literally) all the while pining for, or making out, or having sex with Stefan – then expect Damon not to be around any other woman. B*tch, please! Can’t wait for SAGE. And a bonus is Sage will I have no doubt at least be a good physical match for Damon – instead of the bland brown on brown doe eyed average jane looking girl next door Elena. Sage, Caroline, Rose, Rebekah, Aunt Jenna, and Bonnie are/were all much better female characters. Bring on Sage!

The Truth

Posted at 10:23 PM on February 15, 2012

no, i definitely don’t want a new girl! ok, i guess i would survive a little drama but only if elena became really, really jelous!!! i will always put DELENA first! i know it would be too easy if elena just jumped into damon’s arms, but sometimes it would be nice to see a little niceness comming from her and not a line lke “well maybe that’s the problem” seriously? i got a little bit pissed in that moment even though it didn’t last long cose i love elena! i hate how she’s willing to do anything to get stefan back! GET OVER HIM ALREADY!!! i get the whole first love crap, but come on, you’re trying not to be like katherine when actually you’re beeing just like her… choosing stefan over damon even when it’s clear he doesn’t give a damn, and even if he did he blew his chance! so elena do youre self a favour, and tell damon how you feel cose he also won’t wait for a ghost for the rest of his life and trust me that’s a LONG time! hurry up or or miss. red head will steal your vamp!!!

Damon DESERVES lovin

Posted at 9:26 PM on February 15, 2012

YAY :) I am SO over the whole triangle. Its REALLY been played right out now, YAWN! Damon deserves someone who can give them 100% of their love and someone who he isn’t constantly fighting with his brother for. I hope he really falls for this girl cause Elena just doesn’t deserve him!

Ash Meh

Posted at 9:12 PM on February 15, 2012

Honestly, I feel that if Damon can’t have Elena which according to the books(which I haven’t read and don’t intend to because of that fact) they don’t. I think he should meet someone, someone who understands him. Someone, dark and cocky just like him. The yin to his yang so to speak. He deserves love to. And, and vampire sexy time is yummy. So, preferably someone supernatural and durable. Lol. Just, not Rebekah. XD

Damonsgirl

Posted at 8:41 PM on February 15, 2012

I think he deserves this love but in the end i hink he needs to end up with Elena.

NINI

Posted at 6:57 AM on February 17, 2012

No, Damon won’t end up with Elena. The writers have made that perfectly clear the last few episodes. She has been getting meaner and meaner towards him since the “just not right now comment” of his on the porch. He sacrificed his feelings this episode so she could be happy because she has proven to him she doesn’t love him. It was heartbreaking to watch. I don’t want him to be with anyone else either but I think that’s what they’ll do. At least they’re giving him an attractive red head.

Jane

Posted at 8:08 PM on February 17, 2012

Um you never heard of Joey Potter have you? Go watch Dawson’s Creek! Watch how denial can make you mean to the one you love! Classic trick done on TV shows.

Nico

Posted at 6:40 PM on February 15, 2012

I’m all about Delena but I’m super excited to meet Sage.

Emma

Posted at 6:33 PM on February 15, 2012

I ship Damon with EVERYBODY. Specialy with vampires. I don´t like very much when he is around Elena, he becomes soft and weak. I think at this point Elena is a little boring and inconsistent and Damon is such a good and strong character, will be a waste go on in the same way. So, yes, Damon deserves someone more…

S

Posted at 4:59 PM on February 15, 2012

I’m glad Damon is getting a new love interest. I love Stefan and I think he deserves Elena much more than him…and please stop blaming Elena for feeling the way she feels about Stefan. It’s not her fault she loves the gorgeous Stefan more.

Madison

Posted at 5:09 PM on February 15, 2012

(spit) excuse me.. I’m sorry. I just threw up a little in my mouth!

Sayonara Ruiz

Posted at 12:30 AM on February 16, 2012

i couldn’t have said it better, I mean Delena Shippers need 2 realize Stelena diserve each other & they totally are true love. Idc who Damon goes out w/ as long as it’s not Elena & Idc who Stefan hurts as long as it’s Not Elena cuz I’m a total STELENA Shipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rayne

Posted at 4:57 PM on February 15, 2012

After the way Elena treated Damon in this last
episode, Damon absolutely should move on and leave
Elena in his dust. Let Stefan have Elena, as they
are two of a kind and that is NOT a complement.
However, I am not sure SAGE is the answer because
I have a feeling that she will be a horrible
influence on Damon. Sage met Damon in 1912 and at
the time he was still the nice guy from 1864.
Something bad happens and I think she is the one
that teaches Damon to shut down his human emotions.
I would much rather have Damon and Katherine together
considering Damon loved her for 145 years.

Damonheartoftvd

Posted at 6:41 PM on February 15, 2012

You said it damon needs some one who will love him and not constantly berate and degrade him like how stefan and elena have done. Elena is not worth damons love in fact she didnt even want to dance with him , when she was all for dancing with stefan after the way he treated her at wickory . In fact elena elena seemed mad at damon the whole episode O.O

NIN

Posted at 7:00 AM on February 17, 2012

I’m concerned too that Sage will remind him how to shut down his emotions. They’ve spent all season getting him to feel and it would be ashame to take it away. I too was hoping for Katherine to come back for the same reason as you.

Little Scarf Girl

Posted at 4:50 PM on February 15, 2012

I’d actually love for Damon to get a new love interest. I liked Rose and Andie, and I think there are too many people crowding for Elena right now. (And I’d much prefer this vampire he has some history with than Rebekah! I thought Stefan and Rebekah already had some history with each other, anyway.)

Hopeless

Posted at 4:46 PM on February 15, 2012

Not surprised at all, expected. This girl won´t last too long though.

I am pretty sure that in the next season Damon will have a more serious relationship with someone, so SE can go on with their relationship as producers really want that. Trust me when I say that deep down don´t care about DE.

Pam

Posted at 4:43 PM on February 15, 2012

After 3×14 with Elena stomping all over Damon’s heart AGAIN… I say have at it Damon! Enjoy a new interest (or re-vamped ex-vamp girlfriend) who is interested in you. You deserve it and Elena deserves the ugly green-eyed monster that is about to rear it’s ugly head. Hopefully it’s not too late for Delena but I don’t mind him getting a little love and attention from someone else. He deserves to be happy. (So does Elena but she is standing in her own way to be happy.) Just hope that Stefan doesn’t take this time that Damon is distracted to swoop in and try to win Elena back.

Abby

Posted at 4:29 PM on February 15, 2012

Andy I love you but NO. Definitely don’t want any love interest for Damon at all. I just want this damn triangle to show itself already like ALL SIDES O_o

Sarah

Posted at 4:29 PM on February 15, 2012

No we Damon fans don’t want a “New” girl. But if we have to have one while Elena is out being wishy washy then we can make her jealous with some hanky panky! BUT NOTHING ELSE! To see Elena get jealous and see what is slipping out of her grasp would be awesome. She needs to wake up and smell the “YOU LOVE DAMON”! Once she does that then she can be fair to Stefan and Damon for once.

NINI

Posted at 7:05 AM on February 17, 2012

Don’t hold your breath. I’m completely discouraged after her continued mean behavior towards Damon after everything he has done for her. She is ungrateful and selfish. I was truly hoping for her to see the light but I have serious doubts about that now and it is heartbreaking that he “knows” she doesn’t love him…Katherine all over again. She was suppose to be SO jealous this last episode about his sleep over but it only seemed she was mad because it was Rebekah. So no I doubt she’ll turn around and open her eyes.