'Glee's' New God Squad Character Joe Hart Deserves To Stay

Wed, February 15, 2012 7:10pm EDT by 27 Comments

Samuel Larsen, an addictively handsome dude who debuted his home-schooled ‘Christian’character, Joe Hart, on ‘Glee’s Valentine’s Day episode last night (Feb. 14) MUST become a regular cast member! Agree?

Glee’s needed some fresh blood for a long time and first it got a refreshing dose when the first Glee Project winner Damian McGinty a.k.a. Rory Flanagan arrived at McKinley High as a transfer student from Ireland.

But now that new God Squad member Joseph Hart (Larsen) has transferred into the school with his chest-length dreadlocks, dreamy face, rocking body covered in Bible quote tattoos, and a voice that is truly angelic, the show suddenly feels like it’s a full-on refreshing makeover.

Hart is so naively friendly having spent his entire life being homeschooled that almost everything he says feels funny and when Quinn (Dianna Agron) said he’s “like a teen Jesus,” she was absolutely right.

It was about time to take a break from Blaine (Darren Criss), and Blaine and Kurt (Chris Colfer), and Rachel (Lea Michele), and Rachel and Finn (Cory Monteith). And with handsome Joe Hart now invading the New Directions just think of the new romantic possibilities. It’s time for Quinn to have a new hook-up or could he lure Brittany (Heather Morris) away from Santana (Naya Rivera).

The addition of Joe Hart as well the long awaited intro of Rachel’s two dads — hilariously played by Jeff Goldblum and Brian Stokes Mitchell, plus fantastic renditions of “I Will Always Love You,” by Mercedes, “Cherish,” by Quinn and “Love Shack” by Blaine, made it the best Glee episode of the season.

But I’m already hating the idea that Glee Project winners Samuel Larsen and Damian McGinty only “won” seven episodes of appearances.

Say it isn’t so Ryan Murphy. These winner are WINNERS! Enroll them into McKinley and New Directions until graduation!

– Bonnie Fuller

More Glee News:

1. ‘Glee’ Paying Tribute To Whitney Houston On This Week’s Episode
  2. ‘Glee’ Recap: Mercedes Struggles With Her Feelings For Sam
  3. ‘Glee’ Sneak Peek: Ricky Martin Gets Sexy As The New Spanish Teacher

Email me! | Follow Hollywoodlife.com on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

SabrinaL

Posted at 1:30 AM on June 29, 2012

Samuel Larsen (Joe Hart, Teen Jesus) is the best thing to ever happen to Glee. He has a different vibe, is a great singer, I love his dancing and his acting is getting better with each episode. Whenever he is on screen my eyes are drawn to him. I will only watch Season 4 if he is on it.

Stephanie

Posted at 2:06 PM on June 28, 2012

Samuel Larsen is beautiful. I have a picture of him on my wall.

gleefan394

Posted at 2:03 AM on June 5, 2012

Love Samuel Larson’s character, Joe, on the show! I really hope they keep him around for another season. The show really needs a character like him– a Christian guy — if they are going to keep the diversity that Glee Club has always been about. He also brings a great rocker vibe to the group which opens up a lot of other songs that Glee could cover.

CNaes

Posted at 4:35 PM on May 17, 2012

I have not heard anything about if the Juniors and Sophomores will all be staying for Season 4. If they do not keep Samuel and Damian then what was the purpose of “The Glee Project”. I thought it was suppose to bring new characters into the mix that would stay when others left. I worked at a high school for many years and a lot of what goes on during Glee would never happen, but students do Graduate and move on and that is what should happen. Let the Graduated go and make new stories for the students that are left. Samuel and his Faith could be interesting in a high school and maybe Damian’s family could move to the States. The “Powers that Be” seem to think that no one will watch if they get rid of Rachel,Finn and Kurt but I think people would, I think it would rejuvinate the show. Getting really tired of Finchel and Klaine.

Roobah_pipa

Posted at 3:02 PM on May 10, 2012

I Love Damian! He was great in Celtic thunder and he was one of my favorites in The Glee Project!(My two other favorites were Hannah & Cameron.) Damian’s personality inspired me so much and his voice is very dreamy & calming. I think he should stay in glee until he graduates. Now, about Samuel…i had a hard time trying to relate to him in The Glee Project. He did some shady things to other contestants on the show and that made me not consider him as one of my favorites. I also think that “the christian character” was meant for Cameron. I just don’t particularly like him that much, but i have to admit that his story line with Quinn is pretty cool.

grace

Posted at 7:59 PM on March 11, 2012

I watched glee project & like so many other viewers, I was ‘rooting’ for. Cameron. It was sad to see Cameron walk away, as he was fascinating & fun to watch him perform. But with each new episode, I became an even bigger fan of Damian McGinty & that was even before Cameron bowed out. I was thrilled when Damian won for 7 episodes of being on Glee. And I’ve become more a fan of ‘Rory’ with each episode. He keeps getting better @ acting on every new episode & its exciting to watch his acting skills getting better. I’m thrilled he is being kept on Glee well past the 7 episodes & really hope he becomes a regular cast member in season 4. But, Samuel Larsen? So many critics & bloggers talk about how Samuel has that ‘IT’ &/or that ‘X’ factor, but I don’t see it. He doesn’t ‘wow’ me in the least so I’ll not b sad if he only gets the 7 episode & doesn’t become a regular, I’m good with that. Rachel, Finn, Blaine (who has incredible comedic timing & he is such a great entertainer, best of entire cast), Kurt, Artie & Santan still make me laugh as much, if not more than they did from day one. They will be missed if they ‘graduate’ & leave Glee

kalee

Posted at 8:27 PM on March 4, 2012

i think that larsen should stay
damian mc ginny is awful

Lydia00

Posted at 10:18 PM on March 12, 2012

Samuel Larsen has got to be the most exciting event to hit the show in a long time. I have loved Glee, but it has felt stale for a long time. Larsen has natural charisma, and let’s face – he is so hot. A different kind of look than the very boyish, mainstream looking guys on the show. He brings in a cool, rocker vibe that the show lacks. I will start watching every episode of Glee again, as long as he is in it, especially if he’s in a romance. He did such a great job singing Stereo Hearts and I’d love to hear more. I hate to say it, Damian McGinty is a really nice person, but he has no acting talent or screen presence. Let him ‘go back to Ireland’ and take extensive acting lessons – then maybe bring him back.

KMJ

Posted at 10:57 AM on June 1, 2012

I didn’t like Damian at first either but mainly because of the writing. His story just wasn’t interesting at all. I think once he gets more screen time and better plots he’ll improve. And better songs.

And Samuel is absolutely the hottest guy on earth with an incredible voice. He MUST stay, or I’ll probably stop watching. :P

bystander9529

Posted at 10:39 AM on March 4, 2012

Since Celtic Thunder’s first PBS special, I have been a fan of Damian McGinty. The Glee producers have recognized his talent, work ethic and stamina in his portrayal of Rory by extending his 7-episode contract to regular recurring cast member. Samuel Larsen has appeared in 2 of his 7 guaranteed episodes as Joe, a “progressive Christian” student outside of New Directions, with little background other than being previously home-schooled. If the writers give Joe more development, Samuel could also become a continuing cast member, but with picking up the cliffhanger after the hiatus, and senior year and Nationals coming down to the wire, it’s hard to see much time for Joe beyond being the new guy in the God Squad.

Jen

Posted at 1:17 PM on February 27, 2012

Loving the ‘teen Jesus’ character!! I hope Joe is here to stay, or at least until he graduates in two years. Rory has a great voice, but he lacks in the acting department, and he always sings lame songs.

Smiley

Posted at 11:11 AM on March 11, 2012

Rory only sings lame songs because that’s what the script writers have told him to sing. He does need a few more acting lessons but otherwise he is gold.

ginger

Posted at 1:25 PM on February 22, 2012

I don’t like Samuel character, after watching the Glee project I think that it was the character it was meant to be Cameron’s. Cameron didn’t keep up until the end, and his character was just “glued” upon Samuel who happened to have a tattoo just for this occasion. I think he’s cool but I really don’t like him both as a person and as a character in Glee. He’s cool, but nothing more than that.
Rory is SO right for glee club!!!

Louise

Posted at 4:49 PM on March 31, 2012

Gotta agree on Sam Larsen’s character. It is a rip-off of Cameron Mitchell! Love Damian (and Rory) not so fond of Sam (and Joe.)

SabrinaL

Posted at 11:50 AM on June 30, 2012

Samuel’s character is a non-judgemental christian. The type most younger people are. Teen Jesus is comic genius and Cameron could never have pulled off an interesting character like this. I love Cameron, but he is not an actor, but I will buy all of his songs.

SabrinaL

Posted at 11:50 AM on June 30, 2012

chris

Posted at 3:16 PM on February 18, 2012

I really don’t care one way or the other about Samuel. Damian on the other hand. He is my new favorite. He has the most beautiful voice and I hope he stays forever.

I'm always right ...

Posted at 2:26 PM on February 17, 2012

I didn’t think this was anywhere near the best episode of the season.

“Asian F” is still the high mark for Season 3 and included three of the best performances ever seen on “Glee.”

But I think the Joe Hart character is more intriguing than the never-ending Finchel storyline, which now just bores me to tears.

Jane Johnson

Posted at 6:46 PM on February 16, 2012

I didn’t become aware of the Glee Project until near the end, but I immediately was taken with Damian McGinty. I was jumping up and down myself when Damian was co-winner and as I’ve watched Glee every week since Damian (Rory) started at McKinley, his dancing and acting keep getting better than better every single week (did you see him keeping up with Ricky Martin! AMAZING, and what progress). During Glee Project, while everyone was no-stop talking about how “hot” Samuel Larsen was, I don’t see it. He’s ok, but I just don’t see the ‘hotness’ of him. I think Cameron would have been a better choice. Samuel still has some acting lessons to learn, but he is definitely talented, I still don’t see the swoon-worthy guy that everyone is saying that Samuel is. Maybe one day I’ll see it, but honestly, haven’t seen it yet. That being said, I also didn’t know of Glee’s existence until well after the Teenage Dream w/Darren Criss. My 1st sighting of him was singing “When I get you alone”, and that knocked my shoes off. As long as Glee keeps Darren singing, dancing and taking advantage of his (and Curt Colfer’s for that matter) incredible comedic timing in each episode, I will be a huge glee fan!

Abby

Posted at 6:22 PM on February 16, 2012

I am thrilled with Joe. It is about time that students who are Christian are portrayed as cool and hip and not uptight dorks. Samuel is perfect. Love his look, style and his voice is to die for. Not theatrical but a real hip Indy Rock Voice. So much can be done to develop his character and gasp some hip cool Indy songs can be sung.

Glee was getting stale and I only have half watched this season and I think Damien is stiff but getting better. Samuel is natural and I am impressed.

Yes keep Samuel and I will be watching all the time.

Rennie

Posted at 11:27 AM on February 16, 2012

Love the Joe character. He’s like the kid in the book _Schooled_. Definitely keep him!

c

Posted at 10:37 AM on February 16, 2012

adorable! he’s like a stoner jesus!

Lorn

Posted at 7:37 AM on February 16, 2012

So cute!

No Thank you

Posted at 4:24 AM on February 16, 2012

Please…god no. Get rid of both him and Rory asap. They take away time that could be devoted to the far more interesting – and talented – main cast.

Sandy

Posted at 7:42 PM on February 15, 2012

Like joe character on glee DO NOT mock christianity. Give some balance to the show keep Joe!!!

Seranda McEvans

Posted at 4:26 PM on February 24, 2012

Sorry typo: *Cameron didn’t stick it out* is what I meant to write

JoAnne

Posted at 1:14 AM on June 15, 2012

I do not like the Samuel Larsen/ Joe Hart character. I guess I struggle with it since it seems so phony, and Sam had a bit of a problem with integrity on The Glee Project. He is talented but I fail to see his appeal. Maybe if they try rewriting his part, it might work better. Definitely keep Damian McGinty/Rory. He is someone we root for and that is what Glee is all about! I love his voice and would like to see the writers do a better job of letting us get to know Rory. Keep them both but improve the writing.