Kim & Krickitt Carpenter — The Real Couple That Inspired 'The Vow'

Tue, February 14, 2012 10:51am EST by 24 Comments

Oladipo hannah

Posted at 6:22 PM on June 15, 2014

I just read the book today and i realised that their first wedding was the day and the year i was born(18-09-1993).

Mj

Posted at 1:46 PM on January 2, 2013

Cried watching The Vow today, reminds me of me and Dawn. Married young, divorced after thirteen years, apart eight years then Faye brought us together again, eight years ago. Just proposed two weeks ago, at the movie Cloud Atlas, a tale of souls incarnating over several lifetimes and finding each other again. Someday, I will write a book about our story. What God brings together, no man can tear asunder. :-) blessings all in 2013.

Mj

Posted at 1:49 PM on January 2, 2013

Fate, not ‘faye’ dang tablet auto corrects too much

Sheri

Posted at 8:15 PM on July 5, 2012

When I read the book, I was so impressed as this beautiful story of christian love and commitment to God unfolded. The book leaves you feeling that love conquers all and that God is greater than any obstacle that life might hand you. While I did enjoy the movie, I think that the Hollywood version omitted the most beautiful part of the story – God at work. I felt a bit disappointed that Kim and Krickett allowed the film producers to present their story from this perspective.

Alliamy

Posted at 11:50 PM on July 3, 2012

By the way, Kim is the husband and Krickitt is the wife.

Alliamy

Posted at 11:48 PM on July 3, 2012

Loved the movie, looking forward to read the book <3<3<3

Stephanie

Posted at 6:09 PM on May 29, 2012

I have been happily married for 15 years, not every day has been perfect, and like most marriages, there have been times where I wasn’t as happy as I wanted to be. During those times, the promise i made before God is what made me keep the commitment. That couple is not phoney. A phoney person would never admit to only staying because of their faith. there are days in any marriage where you decide to stay even when you don’t want to. In every marriage you make a daily choice to stay married, You make a daily choice to keep your vows. some days the choice is an easy one and some days it isn’t. A strong couple understands that the feeling of love comes and goes, but commitment is there or it isn’t.

Casey

Posted at 10:03 AM on April 10, 2012

Such a beautiful happily ever after story!

Ward

Posted at 10:27 PM on February 22, 2012

This is an ignorant comment and you obviously don’t have a relationship with God, somethings like a vow or a covenant are worth more than your feelings. They obviously do love each other and it is a greater love that is deeper than just a youthful, lustful love. It is the type of love the we are suppose to have with our spouses, one that is spiritual and not based on worldly views. That love last for all time and is why we say…”till death do us part.”

Darcy

Posted at 1:24 AM on May 14, 2012

Thank you for saying this, I couldn’t agree more!

JayJay

Posted at 12:07 AM on February 22, 2012

They have a loveless marriage. She once said in an interview that she chose to love him based on an obligation to God, not feelings. That ruined the whole movie for me. I hate phonies, and as soon as I heard that they were PUSHING their book I knew there was something fishy here.

Jessica Maples

Posted at 2:42 PM on March 27, 2012

Anyone that has something bad to say about Kim and Krickitt are heartless. I had a tramatic brain injury last year and the effects from it cannot be completely understood unless you’ve gone through it. Mine was not nearly as severe as hers. I could remember my husband and the past but was extremely difficult for us as a newly married couple. I couldn’t imagine what it would have been like for them!

D. Vincent

Posted at 1:02 AM on February 8, 2013

Wow, it amazes me to read this story because its so similar to my life 10 years ago.   My x-husband suffered a traumatic brain injury after he was hit by a car, only about 5 feet  away from me.  We were married 3 years and he did not remember me after the accident or my 3 children he had adopted.  My story doesn’t  have a happy ending like theirs. :(.   I was pregnant at the time and sadly my daughter has never met her father.  He wanted nothing to do with me or my children that he didn’t know or remember.  It was too frustrating for him to live with us so he divorced me & never looked back.  My divorce was final the day after I gave birth to our daughter.   He completely shut us out & would not allow us to have any contact with him.  You cant imagine how painful this was. The crazy thing is he knows who i am because we went to High School together.  The few times I have run into him over the years he knows me just as someone he went to school with.  The doctors had figured he lost about 4 years of his memory & continues to deal with short term memory loses.  Therefore, he has no memory of ever being married to me.  I tried everything to fight the divorce, get my husband back, and to at least  have him meet his daughter.  But, God obviously had other plans for my family. I am happily remarried to another man now. I just got married 3 months ago.  My 9 year old daughters is happy to have her step father, but she longs to meet her father one day.   She has pictures of him & talks about him all the time.  She wants to know him, but sadly he wants nothing to do with her.  After the accident his personality completely changed and he did not want anything to do with us (strangers that claimed to be his family and a part of his life)   My husband who I  loved, died that day when a car hit him.  The person that survived in his body was someone else :(.  One of the  hardest thing you can ever imagine to live through for me and my children.
But, the biggest blessing from this tragedy was I found God.  Without Him I would not be where I am today or who I am today.  He is my savior and my rock. He is what carried me through such a tragic experience and He is who continues to give me strength through all  of life’s storms. He also gives me peace, love, and many blessings daily. Amen!

1rep

Posted at 8:59 AM on August 8, 2012

Everyone who is or has been married has CHOSEN to love their mate even when they don’t feel like it because we don’t always feel like giving our hearts to someone who made us mad. It is in reverence to God. That is biblical. It does not mean its a loveless marriage, it means she is honest. People who say their marriage is perfect are phony. Her view point is biblical, period.

Mj

Posted at 1:40 PM on January 2, 2013

Uhm, no bro. Her commitment to God allowed her to give him a shot, their love for each other is what’s kept it together. They are not phony. :-)

janine

Posted at 7:55 PM on January 6, 2013

I have watched the movie several times now and I really enjoyed it! And now that I know that there is a book I do look forward to reading it! Its so inspiring to me to know that the real couple allowed God to save their marriage! I’ve read a comment that said that they are “phonies” for staying together not because of their love but because of a vow to God. I disagree with that! Because that is exacly what a VOW is supposed to be! You vow before God to love each other through sickness and health , through good times and bad – till death do you part! She forgot the past 18 months of her life due to a head trauma so obviously she didn’t stay with him because of love, but they chose to save their marriage because they vowed to do so! And with the help of God they succeeded and fell inlove all over again! I pray that more people allow God into their homes and relationships!

Loren

Posted at 6:20 PM on February 20, 2012

No, the names are right. Kim = husband, krickett = wife. That’s what it says. And I personally LOOOOVED the movie. <3

anne

Posted at 6:41 PM on February 18, 2012

The movie did not do justice to this story at all. I thought the premise of it sounded great but the movie ended up seeming more about a woman “finding herself” while her husband was really trying to fight for his marriage. It was kind of a let down.

Kera Henderson

Posted at 3:43 PM on February 15, 2012

FYI: Krickitt is the wife and Kim is the husband.

c

Posted at 2:29 PM on February 15, 2012

wow hollywood life… way to be super disrespectful and screw up their names.. nicely done. I read the article on Readers Digest… couldn’t even copy and paste correctly?

Sherryl Simonsen

Posted at 9:08 PM on February 14, 2012

This interview by Hollywood Life has misinformation. For one, Kim is the man and Krickitt is the woman. You have that wrong throughout the article.

Jolie

Posted at 1:01 PM on March 23, 2012

Yes, Kim is the husband and Krickitt the wife- and that’s exactly what the article says. They have it right. Read it again.

geturfactsright

Posted at 1:58 PM on February 14, 2012

The husband is Kim and Krickett is the wife

Helloworld1

Posted at 12:46 PM on February 14, 2012

I saw their interview on the today show. Phenomenal couple!