'Smash' Recap: Karen Vs. Ivy — Did The Right Girl Get Marilyn?

Mon, February 13, 2012 11:00pm EST by 7 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Do you think the plum part went to the right girl? I think I’m satisfied.

Well that didn’t take long. Only one week after Karen (Katharine McPhee) and Ivy (Megan Hilty) sang/begged for the lead in Marilyn: The Musical, a winner was crowned — uh, wigged — on the Feb. 13 episode of Smash. So which hopeful got to hear those three magical words: “You got Marilyn?”

Ivy, of course! As much as I love Katharine (last time I checked, there was no known cure for the McPheever), her busty foe was the obvious choice to launch the “smash” hit on Broadway. And I don’t even think her landing the part was the result of her sleeping with Derek (Jack Davenport). OK, fine, maybe a little bit.

At least Karen had her perma-suited boyfriend Dev (Raza Jaffrey) to console her — even if we did see them get into their first fight this week. Let’s hope they stay on each other’s good sides from now on, because Dev goes from cute to terrifying in no time and I do not like it.

And speaking of fights, Julia (Debra Messing) and Frank (Brian d’Arcy James) butted heads over the adoption of their wee bebeh girl. Frank became discouraged, and understandably so, when the social worker told them they could be waiting for more than two years to get a baby. But after an “aww”-inspiring speech from their son and a super-emotional letter from Julia to the potential birth mother, he finally came around. Bebeh is on the way! Hooray!

Other epic moments from this week’s episode included: Eileen (Anjelica Huston) tossing her drink in Jerry’s stupid face and Karen putting on a flawless performance of “Twentieth Century Fox Mambo.”

Oh, and Tom’s (Christian Borle) uppity man-slave Ellis (Jaime Cepero) started claiming that Marilyn was his idea. I smell trouble brewing. Trouble… and mac & cheese.

– Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Smash updates

Yaz

Posted at 11:47 PM on February 20, 2012

The social worker was not Blossom. I’m not sure of her name, but she was the middle sister in ‘Some Kind of Wonderful’. Besides, the woman who played Blossom is now Amy on Big Bang Theory.

Tracy Lamie

Posted at 2:41 AM on February 16, 2012

I believe the actress was playing the social worker is Mayim Bialik from “Blossom”. I was thinking the same thing that I recognized her & the nose, except the actress is now blonde.

John

Posted at 10:39 AM on February 15, 2012

Does anybody know the real name of the actress who plays the social worker?? She’s been in alot of teen movies in the past??

dana

Posted at 11:12 PM on February 14, 2012

I’m a McPhee fan too, but I also think it was right that Ivy got the part. Karen is too inexperienced.

naturegirl

Posted at 7:07 AM on February 14, 2012

HOW COULD SHE BE THE RIGHT GIRL FOR IT WHEN SHE F**K HER WAY IN????????????????

groucho

Posted at 8:12 PM on February 14, 2012

Dont’ be silly, Derek wasn’t about to let them cast someone who would make him look bad, and he had too many reservations about Karen. Ivy’s, ah, compliant nature may have influenced him somewhat, but she did not (censored) her way into the part. Is it possible to have missed the fact that Megan Hilty can SING? I get it, and I am a totally demented McPhee fan.

ArunaAdvaney

Posted at 4:00 PM on February 4, 2013

I don’t think she tried to f**k her way in. Derek came on to Ivy, and she gave in, because she had a genuine attraction and feelings for Derek, that – unfortunately for Ivy – he was indifferent to…after she wasn’t the muse of the project anymore.