Katy Perry Debuts Empowering Song About Russell Brand Split At Grammys

Sun, February 12, 2012 10:20pm EDT by 41 Comments
Katy Perry Grammys

We told you Katy would have a surprise performance at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards and she gave the best performance of her career while singing her new single ‘Part of Me’ — Russell must feel like a total jerk!

Katy Perry just proved that the best breakup revenge is living well and looking great! The 27-year-old kicked total butt while singing her new single “Part of Me” during the Grammys on Feb. 11. Katy looked totally hot in her skin-tight getup and was perfectly in pitch while belting out lyrics like “you chewed me up and spit me out!”

The new song is all about a girl getting over a guy who dumped her and Katy sounded unbelievable! It sounded like she was singing this right at her ex Russell Brand and we hope he was watching and kicking himself for dumping the amazing artist.

“Days like this I want to drive away/Pack my bags and watch your shadow fade/’Cause you chewed me up and spit me out/Like I was poison in your mouth/You took my light, you drained me down/That was then and this is now/Now look at me/This is the part of me that you’re never gonna ever take away from me!”

The performance gave us chills and we are so proud of her for taking the stage so soon after her breakup!

Watch Katy’s entire performance below:

Loading video...

And here are the full lyrics to Katy’s “Part of Me”

Days like this I want to drive away. Pack my bags and watch your shadow fade.’ Cause you chewed me up and spit me outLike I was poison in your mouth. You took my light, you drained me down.
That was then and this is now. Now look at me

Throw your sticks and stones
Throw your bombs and your blows
But you’re not gonna break my soul
This is the part of me that you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no

I just wanna throw my phone away
Find out who is really there for me
‘Cause you ripped me off, your love was cheap
Was always tearing at the seams
I fell deep and you let me drown
But that was then and this is now
Now look at me

Throw your sticks and stones
[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/part-of-me-lyrics-katy-perry.html ]
Throw your bombs and your blows
But you’re not gonna break my soul
This is the part of me that you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no

Now look at me, I’m sparkling
A firework, a dancing flame
You won’t ever put me out again
I’m glowing, oh woah oh
You can keep the dog from me
I never liked him anyway
In fact you can keep everything
Yeah, yeah
Except for me

Throw your sticks and stones
Throw your bombs and your blows
But you’re not gonna break my soul

Throw your sticks and stones
Throw your bombs and your blows
But you’re not gonna break my soul

— Chloe Melas

More Grammys News

1. Rihanna Sings ‘We Found Love’ In Front Of Chris Brown At The 2012 Grammys
  2. Grammy Awards 2012 Winners List — Adele, Jay-Z & More
  3. Chris Brown: First Grammy Performance Since Rihanna Assault

Posted at 5:51 PM on April 17, 2012

I liked as much as you’ll receive carried out proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be turning in the following. unwell undoubtedly come further before again as precisely the similar nearly very frequently inside case you defend this increase.

CocoRose

Posted at 2:53 PM on March 21, 2012

EPIC LYRIC FAIL ALERT –
“You can keep the dog from me
I never liked him anyway”

Er, what? WRONG. Beyond wrong. Why did you think that is what she was singing?! It doesn’t even sound REMOTELY like that! They never even had a dog. They had 3 cats. Correct lyrics –
“So you can keep the diamond ring,
It don’t mean nothin’ anyway”

Michele

Posted at 3:06 AM on February 14, 2012

Did Russell Brand do something, other than being a man, that’s causing everyone to throw so much crap at him? The artists put out these types of ” empowerment” songs to make money, praying that you go to iTunes and buy this song because you had a boyfriend that broke your heart.

I can’t stand when a couple breaks up and instantly the blame goes with the man. Why should he be kicking himself, he filed for divorce. We, thepublic, don’t know why they split, have you ever thought that maybe there wasnt one person to blame for it?. I know it’s popular t o dog the guy but this song isn’t about her relationship, she just wants lovelorn chicks ( and boys ) to buy this song, feel empowered so her and her label make more money. Cha-Ching!!

Mike

Posted at 5:28 PM on February 13, 2012

In December of last year, Katy was the host of “Saturday Night Live”. When she finished doing it, Russell was a total jerk telling her that she wasn’t a very funny host and wasn’t funny in her skits. NOT COOL. This is his wife we’re talking about. Major “no no”.

Katy tried her best on SNL and Russell sort of crushed her self esteem. She’s not a professional comedian, she’s a musician primarily. I thought Katy was funny and did just fine. Most of the time, if an SNL skit isn’t very funny it is the fault of the WRITERS, not the people who are performing it.

Maybe that SNL incident with Russell is one of the things that Russell (and other people) have done to her that inspired her to write the lyrics for her new song “Part of Me”. Katy is saying that NOBODY is going to tear down her confidence and self esteem.

Taylor Swift did a hit song on the Grammy show called “Mean” that is similar to Katy’s new song. Taylor did great on that song. She’s a big star for good reasons too. She’ll be a big country music star for the next 20+ years probably.

Azucena Aguilar

Posted at 3:01 PM on February 13, 2012

When i heard her singing this song my first thought was.. shes singing this to her ex hubby!. good for her. what a douche bag. shes amazing and he didnt deserve her. she can do way better.. even tho she did rush into marriage. and this song probably wasnt written for russel.. but her changing the lyric to the other version made it completely known that this song was dedicated to him. he cant take this from her.. and he can keep the diamond ring and everything else. except her :]

Britni Rose

Posted at 12:33 PM on February 13, 2012

AGREED. However the lyric changes and timing aren’t coincidence. I love the song and even though I thought I was unbiased in this relationship, I’ve discovered I’m team Katy.

gbtw

Posted at 4:48 PM on February 13, 2012

agree. always kinda hated her (and him), but now am feeling quite proud of her. f- him.

Nina

Posted at 12:14 PM on February 13, 2012

I really cant understand you media. You trash Russell for a possible “tell-all” book BUT you congradulate her for dissing her husband in front of millions? Also he DIDN’T dump her. It takes two to tango. He wanted to start a family with her but she focused on her career.

Britni Rose

Posted at 12:34 PM on February 13, 2012

Oops, this was for Chelea

gbtw

Posted at 4:55 PM on February 13, 2012

really? they had been married for a grand total of 14 months before divorce was filed, and who knows how much of that was “troubled”. i find it hard to believe that if he expected her to spit out kids the second they got married, they hadn’t discussed it beforehand. who would expect someone in the upward climb of their career to just immediately go on a hiatus without discussing it beforehand. she’s 27, it’s not like she’s running out of time soon. so who would be jerk enough to slam the door in someone face over a little time negotiating about family when you’ve declared that you want to spend the rest of your life with this person (am i the only one who understands that’s what marriage is)? really? he probably just wanted to go back to his “sex addict” ways (anybody who claims to have this addiction is a joke- and not in a good way), and was looking for a way to not look like the bad guy. he seems like a real db.

DaDDY

Posted at 10:34 AM on February 13, 2012

Song sucks…she’ll be pushing 250lbs in a few years haha katy who?

chelea

Posted at 10:28 AM on February 13, 2012

Just saying, this song was NOT written about Russell Brand! This song was leaked shortly after Teenage Dream was released, so obviously it was written about someone else. Obviously here directed at him, and a few lyric changes to make it fit, but you need to remember she DID NOT write it about him.

Rhonda tracey

Posted at 7:24 AM on February 13, 2012

Are you kidding me. You can do so much better than this Ridiculous russell brand tube sock wearing lanky no butt at all…. Move on there are better things out there… It wouldn’t matter how much this lanky awkward guy could make in his career… I wouldnt take him for a penny… So below you perry… This is a blessing

Dennis

Posted at 5:28 AM on February 13, 2012

Katy Perry proves she is one of the greatest singer.

Johnathan

Posted at 5:24 AM on February 13, 2012

Best performance this night. Incredible..

Chris Bucks

Posted at 2:09 AM on February 13, 2012

I can’t stand this stupid broad and her voice.

Liz

Posted at 2:51 AM on February 13, 2012

Nobody really gives a f*ck about your ignorant opinion…quit playing on your laptop in mommy & daddy’s basement where you mooch off of them. Go get a life.

Johnathan

Posted at 5:26 AM on February 13, 2012

Shup up your mouth. Your opinion is useless here.

Shamozzle

Posted at 1:01 AM on February 13, 2012

The song was about Travis McCoy after they split just like Circle The Drain. The song isnt new.

emily

Posted at 12:11 AM on February 13, 2012

pretty sure it was for russell,, she changed the lyrics from the dog thing to “So you can keep the diamond ring, it don’t mean nothin anyway”,, great performace! loved the blackout thing and a great way to take a little revenge on that douchebag.. congrats Miss Perry

Denise

Posted at 12:02 AM on February 13, 2012

Liked the lyrics and the performance

Louise

Posted at 11:56 PM on February 12, 2012

Very immature. That is not how you deal with relationship issues.

Sierra

Posted at 12:23 AM on February 13, 2012

Taylor Swift gets commended for it, but Katy Perry gets called immature? It’s exactly what you’re supposed to do, put your emotion into a song. Music and poetry without emotion is a joke, and she’s using it as a way to vent. That’s why she’s an artist. What else is she supposed to do, sing about getting drunk?

Sierra

Posted at 12:24 AM on February 13, 2012

(cont) She’s done enough of that. I’m happy she’s singing stuff with meaning.

Louise

Posted at 12:45 AM on February 13, 2012

It is ok if fictional. If it is personal, there are 2 sides to every story. For all we know, the lyrics could probably be said by her ex. It is not fair game and it is too soon after a break-up to see things clearly; it is just hurtful.

Russell has integrity.

Aaalee

Posted at 12:25 PM on February 13, 2012

Hahahaha okay maybe you haven’t heard about the book Russell is writing about the divorce and some of the awful quotes from it? Do a little research. Hes gaining publicity off of their divorce by WRITING A BOOK about it AND including it on his next tour,, Katy is singing a song shed already written!

Chelsea

Posted at 10:31 AM on February 13, 2012

Don’t judge how she handles it. She’s a grown woman going through a difficult time, you have no right to judge and say there is a right and wrong way to deal with a divorce. Everyone has their own way. This is hers. Shut up and deal with it, or don’t watch the performance.

Besides, Katy and Russell have dealt with their entire divorce with grace and dignity that CANNOT be said about pretty much any other Hollywood couple, and I doubt she would have done this performance if she thought it would have caused him serious anger or pain.

Britni Rose

Posted at 12:37 PM on February 13, 2012

AGREED.

ANNA

Posted at 11:45 PM on February 12, 2012

【. BlackWhitePlanet.c ^0^ m 】it’s where for men and women looking for interracial’ship for a fabulous lifestyle
It’s a nice place for black white sing’les, to interact with each other…no bounds or extremes in front of true love.

madi

Posted at 11:32 PM on February 12, 2012

um i’ve had this song on my ipod for over a year, it’s not about russell. but its an amazing song

lexi

Posted at 11:04 PM on February 12, 2012

it was a good performance, but i don’t think the song is about the russell because the release of teenage dream is song that didn’t make the original album, so i think this was written almost 2 yrs ago

IsThisAjoke?

Posted at 11:00 PM on February 12, 2012

Really? I just can not believe anyone in the world would think this is anyone’s best performance… Pitch? Tone? Breath? Did you miss the performance because the pretty blue hair??

Me

Posted at 10:33 AM on February 13, 2012

Omg Shut up. There’s no need to spread your negativity! If you don’t like something fine, there is no need for rudeness!

Crystal

Posted at 7:47 PM on February 13, 2012

Telling someone to shut up, then calling them rude. Haha. These comments are hilarious. You people really get pumped up when people bad mouth complete strangers….ahem celebrities to you. I’m sure Katy is on here every night thanking god people are sticking up for her. Get a life!

Megan

Posted at 10:59 PM on February 12, 2012

That song was recorded loooong before the divorce.

chris

Posted at 10:52 PM on February 12, 2012

I wonder what the song would have been like if Brand took her to court to claim half of her earnings while they were together.

Minga

Posted at 10:42 PM on February 12, 2012

Didnt she actually sing you can keep/take the diamond ring, it didn’t mean anything anyway instead of the dog lyric?

Becca

Posted at 10:42 PM on February 12, 2012

Pretty sure the lyric is, “So you can keep the diamond ring, it don’t mean nothin anyway.” Not sure how dog makes sense in that song

Me

Posted at 10:33 AM on February 13, 2012

The line written in this article is from the recorded version.