'Glee' Paying Tribute To Whitney Houston On This Week's Episode

Sun, February 12, 2012 6:26pm EST by 10 Comments
Courtesy of FOX

Amber Riley’s Mercedes will close the episode with Whitney’s ‘I Will Always Love You.’

The Feb. 14 episode of Glee will include a special valentine to the late, great Whitney Houston. The episode features Mercedes (Amber Riley) singing Whitney’s classic ballad “I Will Always Love You,” a decision obviously made long before the singer died Feb. 11 in Los Angeles.

And now, Glee producers are considering making the episode an official Whitney tribute by adding a memorial title card at the beginning or the end of the episode, a spokesperson for 20th Century FOX tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Amber tweeted about Whitney’s tragic passing Feb. 11, shortly after hearing the news.

“I can’t even breathe right now,” she tweeted. “Not Whitney. I’m in tears right now. … I had to pull over off the road. RIP Whitney Houston. I’m glad now that I got to meet you and thank you for your beautiful music.”

And Lea Michele tweeted about her fellow Gleek’s upcoming performance.

“I can’t believe you’re singing ‘I will always love you’ this Tuesday on #Glee,” Lea tweeted to Amber. “If anybody could its you @MsAmberPRiley.”

Regardless of whether or not Glee makes its episode an official tribute, viewers are bound to be moved by Amber’s touching — and eerily timed — performance.

Listen to Amber’s version of “I Will Always Love You” below:

Loading video...

Jim

Posted at 11:38 AM on March 9, 2012

She didn’t blow it out of the water it was
good but not great.

Sharry

Posted at 1:35 AM on March 19, 2012

Amber is good performer. I agree that she’s ok – her take was sung a bit too high ranged, don’t forget autotuned. She lacked the conviction of pain & sorrow of Jennifer Hudson’s tribute.

Linda Burke-Galloway, MD

Posted at 11:56 PM on February 22, 2012

Amber, you nailed it, girl!!! I think Whitney is channeling you. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Sundae

Posted at 12:52 PM on February 20, 2012

Dam this girl can blow!!!!! I love her….much better than jenn hudson.

amandaz

Posted at 5:41 AM on February 19, 2012

WOW!!! THAT WAS JUST WONDERFUL. U SOUNDED A LOT LIKE WHITNEY AND SHE WAS LOOKING DOWN ON WITH JOY. AMBER U SHOULD OF BEEN THE ONE TO SANG AT THE GRAMMY’S.

Sunshyne

Posted at 6:17 AM on February 16, 2012

WOW! I think they should have had her sing at the Grammy’s it brought tears to my eyes. I honestly said when Jennifer was singing it that no one could do Whitney justice and you have proved me wrong. Not that Amber will ever see this but thank you for that you were amazing!

Terri

Posted at 10:09 AM on February 15, 2012

Amber you totally blew me away with your rendition of I will always love you you should have sang at the Grammy’s you brought tears to my eyes. Whitney was smiling down from heaven. You are truly and amazing singer. God Bless You. Whitney your beautiful voice and spirit will truly be missed, may you rest in peace.

Suzette Hilliard

Posted at 1:28 AM on February 15, 2012

That was beautiful and the best I’ve heard that sounds just like Whitney! If I was blind and they played that and ask me to reveal who it was singing, I would have said Whitney Houston! GREAT! You did that Sista!!!!!!!!!!

Tyra

Posted at 11:15 PM on February 14, 2012

Omg Amber’s voice is beautiful , she reminds me of Ms.Whitney Houston ! Such wonderful voices ! May you Rest In Peace Whitney Houston ! WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU !

Letonya Banks