Hey 'Vampire Diaries' Fans, Stop Hating On Elena

Fri, February 10, 2012 2:54pm EST by 152 Comments

This is basically my version of Chris Crocker’s ‘Leave Britney Alone’ video. Except it’s about Elena. And it’s not a video.

I’ve got a bone to pick with you, Vampire Diaries fans. OK, some of you. I’m used to seeing strong, often crazy, responses following a particularly intense episode — but the comments I saw from “fans” after the Feb. 9 episode, “Dangerous Liaisons,” were borderline disturbing. A quick search in the comments section of my recap yielded more than 25 results for the word “hate,” all of which were directed at Elena (Nina Dobrev) for what she did to Damon (Ian Somerhalder.) I think it’s time we all take a massive chill pill.

I don’t care which ship you sail on; you need to take a step back and look at Elena’s situation objectively. Elena may have strong feelings for Damon, but she and Stefan (Paul Wesley) dated for a long time — like two seasons. She can’t totally abandon ship (pun not intended, I swear) until she knows there’s no chance of getting back what they once had. Meanwhile, she and Damon have never been in an actual relationship. In fact, they’ve only kissed. Twice.

Elena also knows that Stefan isn’t being himself — which we saw during their back-and-forth on the porch last night — and she’s trying to save him. So she’s not being “stupid” or “selfish.” She’s being noble, and you can’t fault the girl for that. It’s the same reason we all love Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig.) Clearly, he’s having an effect on her.

Also, don’t forget that Elena is a teenage girl who’s lost nearly every one of her family members in a two-year span. Emotionally speaking, she’s damaged goods. So shouldn’t we put the blame, not on her shoulders, but on the shoulders of the 160-year-old brothers who are constantly tugging at her like she’s a gorgeous piece of meat? Maybe they need to get their acts together.

And this should also go without saying, but do NOT direct your anger at Vampire Diaries bosses like Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson on Twitter. They know what they’re doing, and if it weren’t for them, we wouldn’t even have these characters to get all worked up about.

OK, that about ends my rant for the day. I apologize if I went a little overboard, but I’m starting to think we — and I include myself, for sure — have begun to let the madness get the best of us. It’s why Julie Plec, according to Entertainment Weekly, “takes breaks from Twitter to block out all the noise.”

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

H

Posted at 5:04 AM on November 19, 2013

I still hate Elena

juila

Posted at 10:25 PM on June 12, 2012

O my goddness the give Damon to bonnie that girl deserv him they are so good together why can’t the writers see that.

cat

Posted at 5:24 AM on August 1, 2013

Elena and her, “I dont know why you do this… please dont do this” is getting reeeeeaaaallly old, for god sakes just kill that stupid girl, Catherine was so much more fun

Team:Delena

Posted at 10:03 PM on May 20, 2012

I will also like to say that when stephen was with klaus, Damon told her,”When we rescue Stephen, always remember who helped you.” well something like that.. and she totally just left him right out of the spot.. like rose said she is totally in Delena team.. HE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR HER!!! YOU GUYS HAVE TO UNDERSTAND… lol sorry But that is just my opinion… lol i love vampire diaries!!:))

Team: Delena

Posted at 9:56 PM on May 20, 2012

(SPOILER ALERT!!!
I disagree with you fully.. if you watched the last episode of the season 3, it showed damon meeting elena first but he erased her memorry so she wont tell people that hes back in town. you know how vampire diaries work.. we think its going to happen but it doesnt.. i hope she picks damon because stephen left her without protection and damon always been there for her and watched over her safty. Damon even saved her from Elijah trying to attack her but stephen gets the credit and i think that is unfair. Like damon said, he always have to be stephen.. Stephen always get the girl and now its time for Damon. Damon said he would change to get with her. and in the last episode he said he will never give up on her and she picked stephen because she met him first.. but damon did.. like i said damon had a flashback and he remembered what happened… and if you seen the last episode… she turned to a vampire and she will remember the memory and i hope they fall in love.. “im just saying”..

Me

Posted at 11:13 AM on April 12, 2012

I read it all and thought it will change my mind about Elena, but it didn’t work. Sorry, I still thing Elena is “stupid” and “selfish”. Why? Well, maybe because she is. And I can say this: I was team Delena, but after 3×14, I am team Damon. Honestly, I don’t like Elena. But that’s only what I thing. :)

Deborah

Posted at 3:39 AM on April 8, 2012

I couldn’t agree more! I’m so glad I’m not invested in either of these relationships/this ridiculous triangle. No matter which brother she chooses, half the fandom is going to bash her. At this point, I’d rather Elena just spend all her time with Elijah. Even though the writers will obviously never allow Elena to ‘get with’ Elijah romantically, at least we’re treated to an *adult* relationship when those two are on screen.

michi

Posted at 1:32 AM on March 3, 2012

I just want to ask a question……I might be wrong but didn’t Stefan leave to protect Elena from Klaus?? I am just saying….I could be wrong but I think I am right. He tried to get Klaus to leave Mystic Falls before he found out about the doppalganger and in doing so he had to return to being the “ripper”. He sacrificed his humanity and his relationship to save her life. I am not going to state all the reasons that they ended up back in Mystic Falls cause if you watch the show you would know why. I am just stating this because it wasn’t because he didn’t love her anymore or he didn’t want to be with her, it was because he loved her above all other.

So no I don’t think Damon deserves a chance to be with her as you guys put it, but i feel as we see Stefan fighting to come back to who he was before the originals came to town and now that Elena is stronger then when he first met her that he should be allowed to pick up the pieces and make amends.

It’s funny to me how even Damon realized that he doesn’t have a chance when he told Stefan “I tried to win her away from you the right way but it didn’t work cause she loves you” so why is every body else struggling with that concept?

I am just saying

Team Salvatore333

Posted at 3:14 PM on March 11, 2012

From what I remember Michi Stefan sacrificed himself to Klaus for his brother not for Elena whether Elena was still alive or not he still made the deal with Klaus for the cure to save his brother and in return Stefan would do whatever he wanted so no Elena isnt above anybody else to Stefan the person Stefan really cared about the most was Damon if he cared about Elena the most he wouldnt have sacrificed his relationship with her and did everything Klaus asked Klaus kept his part of the deal to save his brothers life so Stefan kept most of his. And even when Klaus gave stefan his free will did Stefan go back to Elena and say Im back? no he wanted revenge on klaus no matter who got hurt in the process so in a way Damon does kinda deserve Elena up till that point Stefan had his free will and still choose to do bad things no matter who died. Klaus was willing to let everyone have there freedom but Stefan being Stefan messed the chances up by stealing his family couffins. I understand Stefan is mad at klaus for making him attack Elena but Stefan is the one who decided to make the deal with him to save his brother. Words from Elijah and Klaus family above all.

Karma

Posted at 2:34 PM on March 20, 2012

He didn’t win his complete freedom mate, Klaus had already taken his “Humanity” away by compelling him to shut it down. That was what took him to all the “being a better villain” thing… he wasn’t being “himself” and not because he wanted to. And, would you seriously put Stefan as a “worse” choice because he loves the only family he has? Would you let someone of your family you love die to be with someone? At least I would feel always guilty if there was something I could have done and didn’t do just for my own good. I mean, the relationship between Elena and Stefan was pretty healthy until all that Klaus-breaking-the-curse thing, do you really think anyone selfish enough to let his own brother die so he wouldn’t see his own life affected would deserve the love of, not only Elena, but ANYONE? she fell in love with a caring someone and never had a problem with it. Even Damon in one episode didn’t go after Elena and spent some time with his brother… they where really close bothers while they were humans. And is true that the first displays of Stefan’s lost humanity was with Damon in distress, he did in fact stopped drinking human blood since he put Elena’s life in danger. I do prefer Damon… but hate when people don’t use good arguments to place him with Elena.

Stefan fans forever!!!

Posted at 4:11 AM on February 29, 2012

ARGH,JUST LET STEFAN TO BE WIF ELENA!!THEY ARE PERFECT TOGETHER!!!DAMON JUST A PLAYBOY

B

Posted at 12:39 PM on February 20, 2012

I couldn’t agree with you more. Elena is reacting like any normal teenage girl would react, who has lost so many people in her life, including the love of her life, Stefan.
She of course is not going to jump into bed with Damon, like never, as that is not who she is. Also, I think everyone keeps forgetting all the bad things Damon has done to her in the past and she’s not going to just forget about those. Her and Stefan’s relationship means so much more to her than anything else.

Team Salvatore333

Posted at 3:28 PM on March 11, 2012

Stefan has done bad things too from what I remember and Stefan lied to her from the beginning so if its about bad things you are referring to neither one of them should have her love or not they both deserve equal treatment for there bad deeds. Stefan didnt even tell Elena from the time she found out he was a vampire that he killed many innocent people and enjoyed torchoring them and he loved to relive his kills by writing them on a wall so many people. And when he got really hungry even when he was an older vampire he still enjoyed the hunt and ripping his victims apart. Damon is bad too but at least he is more honest about it and he has a good side too. So truth be told once it comes to hurting Elena neither of them are innocent. So that makes it neither of them deserve her.

d.harris

Posted at 6:57 AM on February 17, 2012

well,people-think about it ,elena is sweet.have we not find ourselves in this type of situation once or twice in our lives.it is terribly hard to choose sometimes ,especially when things are so complicated.

d.harris

Posted at 6:56 AM on February 17, 2012

well,people-think about it ,elena is sweet.have we not find ourselves in this type pf situation once or twice in our live.it is terribly hard to choose sometimes ,especially when things are so complicated.

d.harris

Posted at 6:52 AM on February 17, 2012

well,ladies and girls-think about it ,elena is sweet.have we not find ourselves in this type pf situation once or twice in our live.it is terribly hard to choose sometimes ,especially when things are so complicated.

ChillPilled

Posted at 4:25 AM on February 17, 2012

I think you’re right, Andy…I guess some of us Delena fans really DID go overboard with all that Elena-directed hate. Your article also reminded me of one of the primary reasons I infinitely prefer Elena to Bella Swan(who comes across as confused and characterless). I respect Elena for not giving up on Stefan so easily, but I also do wish she would stop acting as if she’s sick of Damon’s constant attention and love-we all know she feels something too. I think Elena really needs a break from both the Salvatore brothers for a while. She needs to take a beat, sort out her priorities, patch up her friendship with Bonnie and then, for Chrissake-CHOOSE. Damon, Stefan, Both(like Katherine???) or Neither.

Demitress

Posted at 11:54 PM on February 16, 2012

Elena hasnt done anything wrong in my eyes! I do love Elena and Damon but I think we all know that she will get back together with stefan it happens in all movies and tv programmes lol, Elena and Damon have soo much chemistry though! don’t know why but I have a feeling that Bonnie and Damon could get together..

K

Posted at 3:19 PM on February 16, 2012

Okay people need to stop talking so much smack about Elena and Stefan, just read the freaking books people. No matter how much you may want Damon and Elena to be couple, it’s just not going to happen.

R

Posted at 12:43 PM on February 16, 2012

Totally agree. And come on people…it’s a tv show. Why get so freaking upset? Sheesh. It’s fine to be passionate about the characters, but it’s not the end of the world. Elena is doing pretty well considering.
The brothers are the ones who are doing wrong. She needs to take some steps away from them.
That being said I think it’s just hystercial and maybe a bit disturbing that Delena fans are willing to forgive anything and everything Damon has done. Even the actor himself has said that he’s done too much bad to that girl. Just because you think he’s hot doesn’t mean they should be together. If he hurt another one of her friends? Somehow it wouldn’t be his fault…someone ‘made’ him do it.

henninggirl

Posted at 1:05 PM on February 17, 2012

Oh my god, I could not agree with you more! Every time he manhandles her and she chafes against it, the response is inevitably, “Oh Elena just doesn’t appreciate how MUCH he loooooves her!” And I kind of want to wretch. And no doubt, their chemistry is combustible, but how in the world do you get past, (ring or no ring) I killed your brother because I was having a Katherine-related temper tantrum?

T

Posted at 6:11 PM on February 15, 2012

come on people, what kind of love story would it be if it were easy as walking on sunshine! the pation between elena & damon is undeniable!!! they belong together. at the begining, i was team stelena, but now i know better! and also at the end of the episode elena told stefan she said something she didn’t mean to damon! i go team DELENA all the way, no matter what! i think that damon made a BIG mistake sleeping with rebekah, but that’s just damon, the damon that everybody knew was there… also i’m sort of happy that it happened so that elena could drown in all the jelousy! team delena, always and forever! <3

Sarah kesler

Posted at 8:49 PM on February 14, 2012

I agree with u people shouldn’t be mad at elena or anyone , because that’s how life works.

Nicole

Posted at 3:33 PM on February 14, 2012

ino its only a tv show. But i just cant help the fact to watch two people in love not do much about it i Feel like stfan wants to be with her so badly now that he has shown his feelings. Hes just hurt y what she and damon done. #TeamStelena!<3

Erza

Posted at 10:58 PM on February 13, 2012

I was really disappointed in Elena this past episode. She said something that should never have been said and it hurt the one person who has stood beside her. This is a lot like how Buffy treated Spike in BTVS. I get that Elena’s all ‘hurt-by-so-much-loss’, but for someone like Damon to ADMIT his feelings and then have them slapped down… ouch much? I want these two to get together, and I think Stefan needs to bow out gracefully and leave Mystic Falls, but those things aren’t going to happen. There is no point getting nasty because something you didn’t like happened in the show. You know Damon’s chances of getting the girl are slim to none, so root for them if you wish, but stay civil. It makes the rest of us Delena shippers look bad when several spelling challenged teenagers go postal on twitter…

sabrina

Posted at 12:00 AM on February 15, 2012

stefan bow out gracefully and leave mystic falls….don’t make me laugh…..that will never happen…..damon only followed stefan to mystic falls with one intention only to destroy his brother…..a job well done….stefan on the other hand was only trying to live a happy life which isn’t possible….too many complications……delena/stelena fans….we all have our own intepretation of what we see and watch….everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion..i agree with you lets keep these arguments and views civil

sho

Posted at 7:36 AM on February 15, 2012

The only reason the producers are not letting Elena and Damon hook up , is that they keep playing with our emotions.Giving us false hopes that there is a chance for Damon and Elana. I mean that is the reason why the majority of Vampire Diaries fans keep coming back for more. This is really irritating now and it’s going around in circles. Steffen is always falling off the wagon and Damon steps in and is there unconditionally. Then Steffen gets rehabilitated and gets Elana again. So sickening and Steffen rolecharector has become lifeless and boring. The same thing over and over again.