'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena (Basically) Rejects Damon's Love

Thu, February 9, 2012 11:59pm EST by 168 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

I shouldn’t admit this, but this week’s ending was crazy hot — and I loved it.

The Originals’ ball on the Feb. 9 episode of The Vampire Diaries told the classic Cinderella story — if Cinderella stabbed a prince, drank her own blood, and helped her stepmother straight-up murder her daughters. But the biggest surprise of the evening was when Damon (Ian Somerhalder) told Elena (Nina Dobrev) that he loved her. To her face. And she said…

“That’s the problem.”

Yes, friends. Elena referred to Damon’s love for her as a “problem.” She tried to take it back, but the damage had already been done.

But because Damon never sulks alone, he headed straight to the Mystic Grill, picked up Rebekah (Claire Holt), and proceeded to deliver one of the hottest scenes in Vampire Diaries history. (So much ripping. So much grunting.) I don’t care if you are a “Delena” shipper — you had to appreciate how insanely sexy that encounter was. (Side note: I guess now we know who Damon wakes up naked with next week.)

Stefan (Paul Wesley) escorted Elena home from the ball and told her that he hated himself for what he’d done to her. (“I bit you,” “I hurt you,” etc.) She pleaded with him to open up his heart and finally feel something again, but he told her couldn’t. Opening himself up to emotions would only result in more pain. Then, in typical Stefan fashion, he slinked off into the night.

Those Salvatores. So emotional.

And now that we’ve re-hashed this week’s Damon/Elena/Stefan drama, let’s rewind and have a quick about what went down at the Michaelsons’ ball, shall we?

Knowing Damon would never let her approach Esther (Alice Evans) unprotected, Elena convinced Stefan to temporarily relieve his brother of consciousness — which was stupid, because Elena’s plans are always stupid. Anyhoo, Esther told Elena that she needed her doppelganger blood for a special spell to link all of her children together. You know, so she could kill them.

“I love my family, but they are an abomination,” she said. (Funny, I think I recall Kris Jenner giving that same quote to a magazine once.)

“Klaroline” also progressed a bit this week, as Caroline (Candice Accola) totally bitched Klaus (Joseph Morgan) out for refusing to connect with people. After he offered her a trip around the world — which any contestant on The Price Is Right would KILL for — she told him she couldn’t be bought, then sashayed out of the room.

Caroline returned home to find one of Klaus’ lovely drawings on her bed, with a note that read “Thank you for your honesty.” She thought it was sweet, but someone needs to remind her there’s nothing sweet about a dude breaking into your house and leaving creepy horse drawings in your bedroom. Nothing!

And long before Rebekah ended up in Damon’s bed, she was eye-humping Mystic Falls’ most delicate creature, Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig). She spent the night dropping bitchy comments about Caroline, and I really thought she and Matt were going to hook up — that is, until her hot-yet-obnoxious brother Kol (Nathaniel Buzolic) decided to break Matt’s hand. (Party foul, dude. Party foul!)

OK, now give me YOUR thoughts on tonight’s episode: Do you angry over what Elena said to Damon? Are you at all OK with Damon and Rebekah doing the dirty? And, seriously, will Matt Donovan EVER find the right girl?! See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

tara

Posted at 3:07 PM on February 10, 2012

Best episode ever. Loved it.

Damon'sAwesome

Posted at 2:08 PM on February 10, 2012

i honestly used to be team delena but now im team stelena simply because i don’t want elena with Damon. Damon is my favorite character and i wish he would just get over elena and let her be with stefan. Frankly i don’t think elena deserves Damon. I’m hoping he gets with Rebekah or that they introduce a hotter,stronger, cooler love interest for Damon. Hopefully one that doesn’t have a lot of drama.

Jen

Posted at 1:21 PM on February 10, 2012

I WAS a huge DELENA fan but after this episode, I say “FORGET ELENA!” Damon can do better, he deserves better. She has this constant negative view of him despite everything he does for her. To top off the night, I can’t believe she has yet again crawled back to Stefan hoping for him to feel. She’s stupid to think they can just pick up where they left off.

Damon: Get yourself a better woman!!

nicole

Posted at 1:02 PM on February 10, 2012

this is the first time i wasn’t looking forward to see tvd ’cause it was absolutely oviously what’s gonna happen !elena is just f…..g b..ch who just using damon like her dog or slave and when she sees anoying stefan everything what damon had done for her it’s gone!!i want stefan to be with katherine and damon with rebekah ’cause i want both of them to leave elena with her freaking and stupid plans in mystic falls!! wake up writers you can’t be so unfair to fans and keep them in hope for something what’s never gonna happen!!!

klaroline

Posted at 7:06 PM on February 10, 2012

I actually love that idea of Stefan v Katherine and Damon v Rebekah. The 2 Salvatores have hotter scenes with these 2 girls than all of their lovey dovey scenes with Elena combined together.

And I also believe these 2 boys deserve someone better than Elena. Falling in love with 2 brothers [knowing about their past with katherine] is just wrong in so many levels. And I’ve never understood why they fell in love with her in the 1st place anyway

Bella

Posted at 12:48 PM on February 10, 2012

Elena doesn’t deserve Damon’s

TVD

Posted at 12:37 PM on February 10, 2012

I feel bad for Matt. He was such an important character in the first 2 seasons, and in this one they basically ignored him. No, I don’t want him to turn supernaturnal. As Zach Roerig said, him holding down “Fort Human” is cool. We need someone who’s not a witch, werewolf or vampire and is still cool. And the poor guy always ends up with the wrong girl. I think the writers should pair him with Bonnie-they’re good friends, and they’re both been through a lot-they understand each other. :)

RoSa

Posted at 12:18 PM on February 10, 2012

I want CAROLINE & KLAUS together ….. maybe she can change him into another Vamp that can just hang around without a hidden agenda or trying to kill everyone. And I am glad Damon got some action I don’t want him to completely turn his back on Elena but I think he is better when hes bad … YUMMY!

Sasha

Posted at 10:53 AM on February 10, 2012

I will always go for Delena! I loved Stefan but after what he did I just can’t imagine them anymore. And oh my! Klaroline are HOT!

Salma

Posted at 11:29 AM on February 10, 2012

Well , i respect your opinion but Damon has done many things and hurt her he killed her brother … etc. and she could forgive him , so why shouldn’t she forgive stefan and damon had a choice but stefan hadn’t , he had to be with klaus to protect them and then his humanity was turned off ! :/

lorraine

Posted at 3:43 PM on February 10, 2012

Totally agree. Stelena are the true love story

Katerina

Posted at 2:52 PM on February 11, 2012

Sorry, just don’t see it. I sort of get why people like Stelena, but I have the feeling that it’s too simple to be love… They don’t really have any obstacle to conquer, and well, it’s all too “perfect fantasy” to really work out. It would be Bella and Edward all over again, a long romance story about their undying love. DELENA SHIPPER! <3

Kay

Posted at 3:45 PM on February 12, 2012

AGREED! Delena forever!!!

Sarah

Posted at 1:30 PM on February 11, 2012

Its fine for her to forgive Stefan.. But for me it should take longer than one episode and one dance to do that.. It has taken a season and a half for her to really forgive Damon and open up to him.. Everyone has a problem with the protective caring Damon, but it seems like noone had a problem with Stefan the first two seasons when he acted exactly the same.. I like Stelena and Delena.. For me it’s about Elena growing up and making a choice-being a strong female who knows what she wants and for me that didn’t happen.. If anything she regressed backwards to a child begging for love and kisses on a porch. I hope she turns it around and gets back on track.. I love this show and can’t wait for more.

Melissa

Posted at 10:14 AM on February 13, 2012

Of course Elena would forgive Stefan, but what fazes me is how quick she was to forgive Stefan. Damon snapping Jer’s neck took her at least 5 episodes to tolerate him and forgive him.

But what Stefan did or was planning to do on wickery bridge is just as bad if not worse than Damon snapping Jeremy’s neck. And the next episode she has already forgiven him. I wish that Elena would have forgiven Stefan in time like she did with Damon, it would have taken away this double standard in the show

klaroline

Posted at 7:10 PM on February 10, 2012

So it’s basically fine for Damon to kill Jeremy and Alaric [ignore the ring, with or without it, he still killed his close friend without blinking] but it is unacceptable for Stefan to scare/ignore Elena [because of Klaus]?

TanyaPessmist

Posted at 10:03 AM on February 10, 2012

I hate Elena for what she said…
Damon and Bekah hook up was HOT. Glad to see Damon’s still pissed in next week, unfortunately because Damon always saves the day but gets no recognition or credit he’ll have to save Elena’s dumb ass next week.
Damon, Caroline and the originals are the only reason I’m still watching this show.

They need to introduce a kick-ass female character for Damon… Elena is pathetic…making moon eyes at Stefan like a week after he tried to kill her off Dead Parent Bridge.
This ‘love triangle’ or should I say pathetic Twilight-esque couple with the awesome underappreciated third wheel triangle sucks.

Sarah

Posted at 11:10 PM on February 11, 2012

“pathetic Twilight-esque couple with the awesome underappreciated third wheel triangle sucks” – absolutely perfect way of describing this love triangle.. Damon is the dirty sexy hotter version of Jacob in this twilight ripoff.. Which is so sad considering his redemption has been so fun to watch & he deserves the chance to be with someone who is strong enough to be with such an awesome character..

Hannah

Posted at 9:57 AM on February 10, 2012

Rebekah’s sex face made me LOL. O.o

Stef

Posted at 6:59 AM on February 11, 2012

Hahahaha so true!!!!

Melissa

Posted at 9:56 AM on February 10, 2012

I hate Damon and Elena together. It’s boring. Damon needs more action like last night… it’s what he’s there for… to stir things up. Also, no matter how much she loves Damon, she will always go back to Stefan… Always. It’s the part of the love triangle “curse” – happened Klaus & Elijah, with Katherine and is happening now.

Salma

Posted at 11:31 AM on February 10, 2012

Stelena Always and Forever =) <3

Bree

Posted at 9:55 AM on February 10, 2012

I ship Klaroline hardcore! <3333333333333

Lola

Posted at 9:51 AM on February 10, 2012

I’m so happy that Elena and Stefan had that moment. Even if you ship whoever… you have to admit that Stefan is in this boat because of BOTH Elena and Damon… For Elena to just “move on” to his brother so quickly isn’t exactly right… (it wouldn;t right in real life, caman!) Especially since Stefan would never have given up on her. I think that’s why so many fans turn on Elena. Also, how boring would it be if Elena and Damon actually hook up… then what? Bo-ring! We need good old Damon back and last night’s scene proved just that. We like damon reckless, reactive… as the badboy. Not the lve sick puppy he’s been acting like. Stefan all ripper was fun… but now I’m bored… let’s get back to basics!

Jenna

Posted at 11:34 AM on February 10, 2012

I totally Agree ! ^_^

Melissa

Posted at 9:36 AM on February 10, 2012

I don’t want Damon to save Elena next week. And anything that happens to Damon falls on Elena.

Remember this quote from 2×01 from Damon to Elena:
“you’re scared, you think katherine’s gonna send me off the deep end don’t you, well I don’t need her for that”

To me, that was a HUGE piece of foreshadowing

joanne

Posted at 9:02 AM on February 10, 2012

Thank God Damon gets some. Elena’s been stringing him
for far too long. She doesn’t deserve him!About time the tables are turned.
Could Caroline’s good nature actually bring out the best in Klaus? I like them as a couple. Not a fan of this MOTHER killing all her children plan to get to Klaus…I’m sure Caroline will play her role to stop this from happening. If the Salvatores can change why can’t the Michaelsons?

Damon Salvatore

Posted at 8:19 AM on February 10, 2012

I cant wait for episode 15 of TVD!!The tittle ”All my children”!I think it’s going too take’s us too the past of the Original family or something like that!
And Im also looking forward too seeing the reaction of Elena and other’s when/if they find out about Rebekah’s and Damon’s night of pleasure!And also thinking about what will happen with Rebekah and Damon.Will they wall in love,be friend’s with be benefits or act like nothing happend?Will something happen between Klaus and Caroline?Will Elena be jelous of Rebekah’s and Damon’s night together?We just have too wait for episode 15 too find out!

Marina

Posted at 8:16 AM on February 10, 2012

Why would we hate Elena for what she said to Damon? Elena is in love with Stefan, it’s clear. Now, more than ever. Despite everything Stefan has done so far (the bite, the killings, kidnapping her, telling her Jeremy’s death wouldn’t be his problem, telling her he doesn’t care…) I mean, despite all of this, she keeps on loving him, and hopig to reunite with him. He loves her too, so badly, and we know. And he loves also his brother so much.
Stefan told everybody the thing he cared most was killing Klaus: well, when Klaus could be killed by Michael, Stefan didn’t think twice and stopped Damon just because he knew he would die. So, in the end, the things Stefan cares most are Elena and Damon. That’s why, in my opinion, he is so reluctant in getting back with Elena, because, a part from the sense of guilt, he knows how badly this would hurt Damon.
Damon needs to back off and accept the fact that Elena cares about him (very much indeed), but her true love is Stefan.
How many times does Elena have to tell him? “It’s always gonna be Stefan (season 2)!”. We don’t choose who to fall in love with.

About Matt: I think he needs a strong girl beside him… He kinda needs to be “protected” as he is indeed “Mystic Falls most delicate creature”. Caroline was a good match… But she is taken by Tyler or Klaus – by the way, I felt so sorry for Klaus being rejected by Caroline! Who would have imagined how sensible and talented he could be? He can be so cute when he is not so defensive! – Rebekah coul be a good option for Matt: she’s not so evil as she wants to appear, her humanity is in “on mode” and she seemed a bit involved… Who knows… After all, its obvious that Damon and Rebekah just had a “one night stand” and that’s it. I don’t think their flirt will last.

Bye! xoxox

Stef

Posted at 7:07 AM on February 11, 2012

Great post! Totally agree but I still love seeing that tension between Elena and Damon…
I really liked this ep !

giuls

Posted at 8:47 PM on February 13, 2012

Totally agree with your point of view:stefan can’t just get back to elena,it wouldn’t be him because despite of everything he just can’t hurt his brother so easily…

Matron

Posted at 8:07 AM on February 10, 2012

Here’s what I think just happened:

When Esther told Elena that the only way to kill Klaus is by linking “all her children” together and killing one of them, this included Elena. Elena, or more to the point, Tatia, her ancestor, was Esther’s childe and a half-sibling of the other Originals. It’s her blood Esther is using to link them all together and what this probably means is that if the plan came off, Elena would die too (she also drank the laced champagne).

I think the clue is in the title of next week’s episode (ALL my children). Esther already had Klaus with a man other than Michael. This shows that she wasn’t exactly a paragon of virtue in her youth. She may very well also have been the mother of Tatja, the first in the Petrova bloodline, whom she used to turn her other children into vampires. She turned her back on Klaus to appease Michael, she might have done the same with Tatia.

Also, I think the one child that needs to die to kill the rest is Elena. Remember, the others are Originals and the only means to kill an original, Michael’s stake, was lost. Elena is the only one that can be killed so it is imperative that she is part of this.

I also think Elena knows that she needs to die because Esther probably told her. That’s why she needed to speak to her without Stefan and, particularly, without Damon. Because neither of them should in theory have a problem with a plan that kills all Originals unless it meant that Elena would die too.

Yes, Elena’s plans are usually stupid, but she never actively puts her friends in danger. In fact she has tried several times to save everyone else by sacrificing herself and I think that is what she is trying to do this time. She wants this to end, make everyone safe, and she knows that if she tells either of the Salvatores about it, they will try to stop her. I also think that that is the only reason why she betrayed Elijah. If she is willing for herself to be killed, she is wiling for him to be part of it. Although she probably feels worse about that than her own death.

I also think that that is why she was so awful to Damon. She knows how he feels and what her death will do to him. So she wants to make him hate her to make it easier for him. But the fact that he loves her so much (and she probably him) also makes her sacrifice a lot harder. That is why his love is “the problem”.

As for Stefan, I think she wants him to get his humanity back before she goes. She knows that his love for her is one of the few things that might make him switch it back on, so she gives this one last shot. But also, in that last scene with him, Stefan says that it doesn’t matter if all of Esther’s children die, that this is about Klaus and that everyone else is just “collateral damage”. Look at Elena’s face when he says that. And when she responds, “It’s not that simple”. She knows, she is going to die. Which is also why she wants to know, how Stefan can “switch it all off”. Because if she could do that herself, it would be easier for her, but she can’t. But in the end, she lets Stefan go without forcing the humanity issue, because she realises that he would feel pain about her death too and not switching it back on will make it easier for him to survive her death too. Another last sacrifice.

Whether this means that Elena loves Stefan or Damon more, I don’t know. I don’t think deciding that is high on her list of priorities right now.

In short, I think Elena is running her own show at the moment and it will be interesting to see, how they get her out of this one. What I am not entirely sure about is whether the death of the Originals would mean that all vampires will die too. If so, Esther probably did not tell Elena that. Because then she would never have agreed to the plan. Esther just seems to me the same kind of fanatic that Michael was.

RoSa

Posted at 9:34 AM on February 10, 2012

I would have never thought of this myself but it makes perfect sense especially with what looks to be going on in next weeks episode….. wow you just made me more excited cause this throws a big o wrench in Elena’s let me do it by myself plan… I know Damon is hurt and Stefan acts like he doesn’t care but neither one of them will let her sacrafice herself.

ash

Posted at 11:53 AM on February 10, 2012

Tatia cant b esther’s daughter. both Klaus n Elijah were in love with her and Elijah said that Tatia lived there wen they moved to the new world.

ashi

Posted at 11:54 AM on February 10, 2012

Matron

Posted at 2:58 PM on February 10, 2012

You may be right, but he aso said that to end his and Klaus’ feud, their mother “took Tatia”. That could also suggest that she did that because she did not want either of them to become involved with their half-sister.

Elijah only said that “when their family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia”, who already had a child. She cannot have been one of the natives because they were werewolves and if Tatia is the first in the Petrova line, she would have passed that on to her descendants, including Elena. So she might have come over with the family as did the witch Arianna. Esther might have had her in the old world and given her into Arianna’s care (as they were good friends)? Admittedly, if she had been Esther’s daughter, she would probably also have been a witch, so that speaks against my theory. So maybe she is something else altogether. Rebecca said that in the old world Esther and Michael had already lost one child to a plague, and when they later asked Arianna to turn their children into vampires, Ariana said that plan had the makings of creating a plague. Same words, and the writers for TVD have been terribly precise so far.

All pure speculation of course, but there seems to be something more about this Tatia character than meets the eye. Why else introduce her all of a sudden in the last episode?

Kate

Posted at 7:14 AM on February 11, 2012

Wow that’s amazing insight..
I didn’t even think of that, but thanks for sharing that perspective. Can’t wait for next week

Tamara-Damon

Posted at 7:48 AM on February 10, 2012

-Also I forgot too say that I can’t belive that Elena still love’s Stephan after all that he have done!She is realy naive!She is practically begging him too be with her and it’s realy getting annoying!Get over him already!And wath she did to Elijah was realy bad of her!I thought that the were friends.After all,he did save her from Rebekah!
-And Stephan is so stupid!He doesn’t let Damon be with Elena,but he doesn’t want too be with her too!If he realy love’s her he would turn his feelings,even thouhg he would feel pain!

Tamara-Damon

Posted at 7:49 AM on February 10, 2012

Susan you’re right! :)

susan

Posted at 7:41 AM on February 10, 2012

I think elena is being selfish and unfair not to mention stephan deosnt deserve her love like damon

Tamara-Damon

Posted at 7:32 AM on February 10, 2012

-I hate Elena what she said to Damon!She know’s that his heart was broken a milion times!The’re was Kathrine (who I think isn’t dead,even though Micheal had drink her blood.The beach never dies!),than Rose,Anndy and now Elena too?Can you give the guy a break!Elena was such a beach too him!His alaways good too her and Stephan is not.He alaways keep’s her safe and would die for her!What more does she want from him?
-Rebekah and Damon would be so cute together!I loved the ending of episode 14!!She was rejected,he was too,so I say go for it.It couldn’t hurt!
-I think that Matt will find a girl for him,but I also think that she will be a vampire,witch or a werewolf.
-Klaus is becoming more good by the second!Of the whole Original family I love him,Rebekah and Elijah!And I would love too see Caroline and Klaus together. :)

Melanie-Delena

Posted at 6:44 AM on February 10, 2012

Hey all Delena fans.!
There still hope. Elena said to Stefan after: ”I said something i didn’t mean”
I really hope they talk about it. I need Damon and Elena together, more than everything. <3

arta

Posted at 12:17 PM on February 10, 2012

i hope so and i hope that both damon and rebekah say it was totally a drunken mistake and yeah hate elena 4 what she did but i cant think of anyone else 4 damon so yeah…..

Jenny

Posted at 6:28 AM on February 10, 2012

I hate Elena for what she said to Damon and whatever he does to get over what she said is totally her fault. I like the scene at the end bc o think Elena needs a slap in the face bc no matter how much she loves Stefan there is no excuse for her to crawl back on hands and knees to him, and whatever Damon does she is responsible for.

arta

Posted at 2:50 PM on February 10, 2012

agreed

Givenchy

Posted at 5:36 AM on February 10, 2012

We wait so long for Delena and now ends before beginnig.Terrible!!!!I hate it and Elena is so rude!!!Poor Damon

arta

Posted at 2:51 PM on February 10, 2012

also agreed

Matron

Posted at 5:32 AM on February 10, 2012

Now, now folks. I agree, Elena comes off really bad in this episode but before you all go on with spreading the hate, it might be good to look at the psychology of the whole thing a bit. Here’s what I think just happened:

When Esther told Elena that the only way to kill Klaus is by linking “all her children” together and killing on of them, this included Elena. It’s her blood she is using and what this probably means is that if the plan came off, Elena would die too. I think the clue is in next week’s episode (all my children). Esther already had Klaus with a man other than Michael. This shows that she wasn’t exactly a paragon of virtue in her youth. She may very well also have been the mother of Tatja, the first in the Petrova bloodline, whom she used to turn her other children into vampires. Also, I think the one child that needs to die to kill the rest is Elena. Remember, the others are Originals and the only means to kill an original, Michael’s stake, was lost. Elena is the only one that can be killed so it imperative that she is part of this.

I also think Elena knows that because Esther probably told her. That’s why she needed to speak to her without Stefan and, particularly, without Damon. Because neither of them should in theory have a problem with Elena doing this unless it meant that Elena would die too.

Yes, Elena’s plans are usually stupid, but she never actively puts her friends in danger. In fact she has tried several times to save everyone else by sacrificing herself and I think that is what she is trying to do this time. She wants this to end, make everyone safe, and she knows that if she tells either of the Salvatores about it, they will try to stop her. I also think that that is the only reason why she betrayed Elijha. If she is willing for herself to be killed, she is wiling for him to be part of it.

I also think that that is why she was so awful to Damon. She knows how he feels and what her death will do to him. So she wants to make him hate her to make it easier for him. But the fact that he loves her so much (and she probaly him) also makes her sacrifice a lot harder. That is why his love is “the problem”.

In short, I think Elena is running her own show at the moment and it will be interesting to see, how they get her out of this one. But a heartless bitch she ain’t.