'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena (Basically) Rejects Damon's Love

Thu, February 9, 2012 11:59pm EDT by 168 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

I shouldn’t admit this, but this week’s ending was crazy hot — and I loved it.

The Originals’ ball on the Feb. 9 episode of The Vampire Diaries told the classic Cinderella story — if Cinderella stabbed a prince, drank her own blood, and helped her stepmother straight-up murder her daughters. But the biggest surprise of the evening was when Damon (Ian Somerhalder) told Elena (Nina Dobrev) that he loved her. To her face. And she said…

“That’s the problem.”

Yes, friends. Elena referred to Damon’s love for her as a “problem.” She tried to take it back, but the damage had already been done.

But because Damon never sulks alone, he headed straight to the Mystic Grill, picked up Rebekah (Claire Holt), and proceeded to deliver one of the hottest scenes in Vampire Diaries history. (So much ripping. So much grunting.) I don’t care if you are a “Delena” shipper — you had to appreciate how insanely sexy that encounter was. (Side note: I guess now we know who Damon wakes up naked with next week.)

Stefan (Paul Wesley) escorted Elena home from the ball and told her that he hated himself for what he’d done to her. (“I bit you,” “I hurt you,” etc.) She pleaded with him to open up his heart and finally feel something again, but he told her couldn’t. Opening himself up to emotions would only result in more pain. Then, in typical Stefan fashion, he slinked off into the night.

Those Salvatores. So emotional.

And now that we’ve re-hashed this week’s Damon/Elena/Stefan drama, let’s rewind and have a quick about what went down at the Michaelsons’ ball, shall we?

Knowing Damon would never let her approach Esther (Alice Evans) unprotected, Elena convinced Stefan to temporarily relieve his brother of consciousness — which was stupid, because Elena’s plans are always stupid. Anyhoo, Esther told Elena that she needed her doppelganger blood for a special spell to link all of her children together. You know, so she could kill them.

“I love my family, but they are an abomination,” she said. (Funny, I think I recall Kris Jenner giving that same quote to a magazine once.)

“Klaroline” also progressed a bit this week, as Caroline (Candice Accola) totally bitched Klaus (Joseph Morgan) out for refusing to connect with people. After he offered her a trip around the world — which any contestant on The Price Is Right would KILL for — she told him she couldn’t be bought, then sashayed out of the room.

Caroline returned home to find one of Klaus’ lovely drawings on her bed, with a note that read “Thank you for your honesty.” She thought it was sweet, but someone needs to remind her there’s nothing sweet about a dude breaking into your house and leaving creepy horse drawings in your bedroom. Nothing!

And long before Rebekah ended up in Damon’s bed, she was eye-humping Mystic Falls’ most delicate creature, Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig). She spent the night dropping bitchy comments about Caroline, and I really thought she and Matt were going to hook up — that is, until her hot-yet-obnoxious brother Kol (Nathaniel Buzolic) decided to break Matt’s hand. (Party foul, dude. Party foul!)

OK, now give me YOUR thoughts on tonight’s episode: Do you angry over what Elena said to Damon? Are you at all OK with Damon and Rebekah doing the dirty? And, seriously, will Matt Donovan EVER find the right girl?! See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

Ash

Posted at 5:18 AM on February 10, 2012

Delena is not possible. Has everyone forgotten what happened between Damon and Isabell ?

Kelly

Posted at 5:07 AM on February 10, 2012

I only enjoyed the Klaus/Caroline scenes!

DAH

Posted at 4:57 AM on February 10, 2012

I can accept Elena rejecting Damon. Really, I can. As much as I love Delena, I’ve long since admitted that I’d be shocked if she ended up with anyone whose name wasn’t “Stefan.”

And Elena has grown so much over the season, in large parts due to Alaric and Damon, not to mention Stefan’s absence.

So for her to throw it back in Damon’s face, and subsequently fall all over herself to beg Stefan for affection… I think I’m done with Elena.

Seriously.

I hope Damon bangs All The Girls and gets All The Things–without Elena. She’s crossed the line right back into the pathetic, codependent character that Twilight made so popular.

Screw you, Elena. If you can’t wake up and realize your dangerous codependency in spite of ALL the external help, then you deserve it.

I’m going on vaca for two weeks after this, where I won’t have internet access, and my sadness for missing the series is gone. I’m really just kind of done and worn out from Elena’s wishy-washy attitude. Not what I like in a supposedly “strong” female character. Not at all.

POLLY

Posted at 4:27 AM on February 10, 2012

I am a 28 years lady ,beautiful and mature . Now I am seeking the one
who can give me real love , my friends told me a nice place .
β / l / α / c /k / w / h / i / t / е / P / l / a / n / e / t. Ƈ /0/ M/… it’s the most effective site in the world to connect with, date and
marry success‘ful, beauti’ful people..
…no bounds or extremes in front of true love. . …@love it ,view
photos of singles near you and meet one there. It’s worth a try!

Mrs.Somerhalder

Posted at 3:59 AM on February 10, 2012

I have always wanted damon and rebekah together.The sex scene was awesome.Damon grow some balls and just leave elena.Actually if both d brothers leave elena than it’d be d best.

Tvdlover

Posted at 3:53 AM on February 10, 2012

Yyyyyeeeeeessssss!!!!!!! Elena will never give up on stefan, and they will end up together in the ending!!!!

STELENA 4-ever!!!!!! <3<3

viv

Posted at 3:26 AM on February 10, 2012

wow. im not happy with the love triangle anymore!!! elena is suddenly a spolit heroine who expects each brother to love her equally and creates huge messes she expects everyone else to pick up. damon keeps swapping from being bad to good to bad (also elenas fault) and stefan has some serious issues but i dont really care. these days, elena is justt that character who is there, but for all the erong reasons!! thank god for the original family (although i dont car nuch for rebekah either…) klaus, elijah, kol and finn are great, and bonnie/caroline got a lot more interesting.switched to team klais – go for it caroline!!!

DAH

Posted at 4:58 AM on February 10, 2012

Totally wanting the Klaroline. It’s becoming easy to replace Elena with Caroline these days.

Elsa

Posted at 2:40 AM on February 10, 2012

Agree with everything you wrote. Bethany I just wish Damon and Elena would sleep together already because I know Elena loves him she just won’t let herself admit it.

Elsa

Posted at 2:29 AM on February 10, 2012

Agree with everything you wrote.

Bethany

Posted at 1:48 AM on February 10, 2012

If Elena were also willing to deal with all of the consequences of her stupid decisions then I would say yes Damon is being too controlling. But, she isn’t. She goes off half-cocked, casually toys with the Salvatore brothers emotions to suit her own purposes, puts everyone in danger, and then expects other people to fix her screw ups. She knows Damon will die to protect her. I think this gives him some right to try to stop her when she is going to put both of them in danger. I really wish the writers would back off on making Elena so irrational, irresponsible, and unlikable.

DAH

Posted at 5:00 AM on February 10, 2012

When she thanked Stefan for always trusting her, I wanted to slap her and scream, “YOU ALWAYS MADE THINGS WORSE.”

Seriously, I can’t think of a single plan she’s had that’s been for the better. Damon was right not to trust Elijah in season 2; they went with Elena’s plan and Klaus got away. Wiping Jeremy’s memories–twice–wasn’t a great idea, but I’m sure it’ll come back to bite her in the ass AGAIN.

Seriously, when have any of Elena’s plans gone right? Stefan believed and put his trust in an idiot teenager.

Karry

Posted at 1:31 AM on February 10, 2012

I loved this ep so much. My heart was going crazy the whole time. When Damon and Elena were dancing it looked so formal and not sexual at all but when Stefan and Elena were dancing very sexual and flirty. I have always been a fan of Stefan and Elena and was so sad when she started to like Damon but then i was a Damon Elena fan but now i kinda just want both lol but i know she can only pick one of them. Looking at this ep I think she just likes the attention more then she actually likes Damon. I was so hoping that Stefan and Elena were going to kiss but maybe next time…

mvk

Posted at 1:19 AM on February 10, 2012

P.S. I’m beginning to really like Klaus. Especially he and Caroline together. There is true passion there. Klaus showed a real sensitive side of himself tonight.

nicole

Posted at 1:13 AM on February 10, 2012

i am a full hearted stelena fan but that doesn’t mean i hate damon. but i can not contain my excitement for tonights episode for everyones stelena hearts. i guess i was asking too much for them to kiss at the end or have passionate makeup sex but i guess the ending scene only had room for one hot vampire sex scene which I’m totally okay with. i think its safe to say theres still so much hope for stelena and she obviously still loves him. as elena has told damon before “its always going to be stefan, damon” i think she truly proved that tonight. and by her saying his love for him is a problem is definitely how she feels so i think we all can guess how i feel about it!!!!

mvk

Posted at 1:05 AM on February 10, 2012

Yep, I have been saying it all along. Elena has been stringing Damon along. When she gets in trouble and he’s not there, it’s “where were you Damon?” It’s “Damon I need this” or”Damon you have to help me”, etc. But, when he is really there to protect and care for her, she steps on him, or has his neck broken. I agree with Amanda, Elena is a big pain in the ass. As much as I would love to see her and Damon get together, he deserves someone better and special; someone who would will really love and understand him. He protected Matt tonight and Elena jumps to conclusion and say Damon is being Damon. I hope, next week, when she finds out about Matt, she feels like a crappy heal for saying that and Damon is no where to be found to save her ass.

chris

Posted at 1:02 AM on February 10, 2012

Man that episode was Harsh!!! It felt like she was rejecting my love lol Poor Dude can’t catch a break :( poor Damon/Elena this episode.

Emily

Posted at 12:04 AM on February 10, 2012

Badass Damon is back! :P Katherine and Damon are way hotter then Damon and Rebekah. I found that scene awkward. :/

Tanya

Posted at 12:00 AM on February 10, 2012

Ewww why did they have Damon sleep with another one of Stefan’s sloppy seconds? -.-

Sophie

Posted at 11:56 PM on February 9, 2012

Stelena and Klaroline. <33333333333

Rose

Posted at 11:55 PM on February 9, 2012

I don’t hate Elena for what she said to Damon, I hate her because she is so damn annoying. If she loves Stefan as much as she says then she wouldn’t have kissed Damon or fallen in love with him, yes I think it’s clear she’s loves Damon even if she can’t admit it. If she doesn’t have feelings for Damon then why kiss him and mess with his feelings? she’s to selfish to admit it. She brings all this drama and hate upon herself. Both Damon and Stefan should just leave her and find someone else, preferably not the same girl again. Can’t Rebekah just kill her already?

Michele

Posted at 7:30 AM on February 10, 2012

No kidding. She’s gone all Katheine, toying with the boys like that. I totally lost all respect for her character. We all know the effect Katherine had on Damon’s character. I can see where this is headed…

Anna

Posted at 11:53 PM on February 9, 2012

The Klaus and Caroline scenes were my favourite! They have so much chemistry! :D

Anthony

Posted at 11:52 PM on February 9, 2012

And I hope Elena starts acting like Katherine. Then she won’t take shit from no one. Now I am done.

Amanda

Posted at 11:46 PM on February 9, 2012

This has turned into such a boring love triangle. One minute she’s all about Stefan the next it’s all about Damon and goes back to trying to change Stefans mind. She’s gone from being a strong independent heroine to a Bella clone. Yes, I said it. That’s how much she is annoying me lately.
They should just end this triangle already. We know she’s going to end up with Stefan so they should just let them be and stop stringing Damon along and get stop getting Delena fans hopes up. I’m starting to think they just do or so they don’t lose viewers. We all know that the if there was no Damon there would be no show. Yes he is an asshole but he is one of the only intersting characters on the show. I’m actually starting to not want Elena with Damon, he should have someone better, who doesn’t play with him. She’s so ugh lately. I’ve never stumbled across such an irritating heroine. What happened to strong female
heroines? I miss the old Elena, they should bring her back.
Before Stefan fans jump down my throats, yes I love Damon but that’s not why I hate Elena at the moment. Either way she’s a just a pain in the ass, like seriously I’d be happy if her character died. They should focus more on Bonnie or Caroline. They are much better and less annoying.

Brittany

Posted at 11:36 PM on February 9, 2012

Okay 1) Where was Bonnie Bennett?

2) Elena WTF?! She proved in this episode just how similar to Katherine she can be in regards to the Salvatore brothers. Hopefully Damon has wizened up to the fact that he and Petrova descendants just don’t mix.

3) Caroline/Klaus why? I’m sorry but I don’t see the appeal in this pairing at all But it’s okay, I know it won’t last, she’ll go back to Tyler eventually.

Lastly 4) Why do series like these constantly revolve around one character? You know sometimes you don’t have to tie everything that happens in a show to one person, they don’t have to have their fingers in every pie. Let someone else shine sometime and don’t make every person fall in love/adore/obsess/protect/etc your main character either – it gets boring!

Nicole

Posted at 11:34 PM on February 9, 2012

Everything is Klaroline and nothing hurts. *______*

S,

Posted at 11:34 PM on February 9, 2012

reading thru the comments & wondering if the writers were specfically trying for this much Elena backlash. They must have been… makes you wonder (feels like they are setting up for a scene several episodes from now where Damon tells her that she is way colder than Katherine)