'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Elena (Basically) Rejects Damon's Love

Thu, February 9, 2012 11:59pm EDT by 168 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

I shouldn’t admit this, but this week’s ending was crazy hot — and I loved it.

The Originals’ ball on the Feb. 9 episode of The Vampire Diaries told the classic Cinderella story — if Cinderella stabbed a prince, drank her own blood, and helped her stepmother straight-up murder her daughters. But the biggest surprise of the evening was when Damon (Ian Somerhalder) told Elena (Nina Dobrev) that he loved her. To her face. And she said…

“That’s the problem.”

Yes, friends. Elena referred to Damon’s love for her as a “problem.” She tried to take it back, but the damage had already been done.

But because Damon never sulks alone, he headed straight to the Mystic Grill, picked up Rebekah (Claire Holt), and proceeded to deliver one of the hottest scenes in Vampire Diaries history. (So much ripping. So much grunting.) I don’t care if you are a “Delena” shipper — you had to appreciate how insanely sexy that encounter was. (Side note: I guess now we know who Damon wakes up naked with next week.)

Stefan (Paul Wesley) escorted Elena home from the ball and told her that he hated himself for what he’d done to her. (“I bit you,” “I hurt you,” etc.) She pleaded with him to open up his heart and finally feel something again, but he told her couldn’t. Opening himself up to emotions would only result in more pain. Then, in typical Stefan fashion, he slinked off into the night.

Those Salvatores. So emotional.

And now that we’ve re-hashed this week’s Damon/Elena/Stefan drama, let’s rewind and have a quick about what went down at the Michaelsons’ ball, shall we?

Knowing Damon would never let her approach Esther (Alice Evans) unprotected, Elena convinced Stefan to temporarily relieve his brother of consciousness — which was stupid, because Elena’s plans are always stupid. Anyhoo, Esther told Elena that she needed her doppelganger blood for a special spell to link all of her children together. You know, so she could kill them.

“I love my family, but they are an abomination,” she said. (Funny, I think I recall Kris Jenner giving that same quote to a magazine once.)

“Klaroline” also progressed a bit this week, as Caroline (Candice Accola) totally bitched Klaus (Joseph Morgan) out for refusing to connect with people. After he offered her a trip around the world — which any contestant on The Price Is Right would KILL for — she told him she couldn’t be bought, then sashayed out of the room.

Caroline returned home to find one of Klaus’ lovely drawings on her bed, with a note that read “Thank you for your honesty.” She thought it was sweet, but someone needs to remind her there’s nothing sweet about a dude breaking into your house and leaving creepy horse drawings in your bedroom. Nothing!

And long before Rebekah ended up in Damon’s bed, she was eye-humping Mystic Falls’ most delicate creature, Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig). She spent the night dropping bitchy comments about Caroline, and I really thought she and Matt were going to hook up — that is, until her hot-yet-obnoxious brother Kol (Nathaniel Buzolic) decided to break Matt’s hand. (Party foul, dude. Party foul!)

OK, now give me YOUR thoughts on tonight’s episode: Do you angry over what Elena said to Damon? Are you at all OK with Damon and Rebekah doing the dirty? And, seriously, will Matt Donovan EVER find the right girl?! See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

ModLoader

Posted at 4:59 PM on June 12, 2012

Hi, There’s no doubt that your blog could possibly be having internet browser compatibility problems. Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in IE, it’s got some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic website!

Nicole

Posted at 10:14 AM on March 6, 2012

KLAROLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leahhhhhhhhh

Posted at 5:04 PM on February 16, 2012

I think that elena and damon will be hot, but the fact that there is always stefan trying to fight, i think elena should pick a HUMAN! well, i am not saying i WANT that, but elena needs a long break from the vampire drama and the love triangle.
damon is not good for rebekah at all! i think that klaus and carolina make a cute couple. i like how matt is so down to earth and he proved it when he put his jacket on rebekah the vamp and left it on her when she reminded him that she can’t get cold… anyway, stefan needs to be the person he needs to be in order for elena to date him again… damon is back to his normal self–sleeping with a girl who is not elena. klaroline i am not too sure about–klaus might use her! and i will be damned if there is a love triangle between rebekah, damon, and matt! damon already has a triangle and matt is in sorta in a triangle–or was in one–with caroline and tyler. Tyler is in one with caroline and unofficially klaus. SO DRAMATIC!

T

Posted at 6:13 PM on February 15, 2012

come on people, what kind of love story would it be if it were easy as walking on sunshine! the pation between elena & damon is undeniable!!! they belong together. at the begining, i was team stelena, but now i know better! and also at the end of the episode elena told stefan she said something she didn’t mean to damon! i go team DELENA all the way, no matter what! i think that damon made a BIG mistake sleeping with rebekah, but that’s just damon, the damon that everybody knew was there… also i’m sort of happy that it happened so that elena could drown in all the jelousy! team delena, always and forever! <3

tally

Posted at 10:55 AM on February 15, 2012

damon needs to get over elina because she will never choose him.

sabrina

Posted at 12:31 AM on February 15, 2012

okay so i have been reading these comments for a while now…and some comments are pretty stupid and pathetic…facts being…just because someone is there for you and gives you a shoulder to cry on doesn’t you should repay them by falling in love with with him/herelena made a mistake…true…she is human….point being she realized she did….and is heading to apologise…not saying was right but if it had turned out any other way damon would have misinterpreted her intentions.as for going back to stefan shows a great deal of how much she loves him….thats not stupid…people grow up its called love!!!!!and just someone who you love and you are in love with rejects you that doesn’t mean you should fall into another person’s arms cuz it a;ways backfires….elena has always being a strong person….with stefan or damon….the occasion just had to arise for her to showcase it……….facts being facts..just like lexi said…”when its real,its hard to walk away”so elena cant walk away from stefan…..end of story>>>

maggie

Posted at 5:48 PM on February 14, 2012

Damon s hot.go team delena.but I kinda lov stelena too.but which crazy gal wouldn’t wanna b loved by damon.alena s disappointing me.as 4 damon and rabeca,I’m not supporting that 1.I like my triangle.(Damomanalena nd stephen)

Melissa

Posted at 8:22 PM on February 13, 2012

Ok if the Damon and Elena thing aren’t going to happen right now thats fine but they should really stop going back and forth with them. And instead of them get the Klaus and Caroline thing going on, Caroline was really hard to accept at first with all that complaining so she should be more accepting. Caroline needs to get over Tyler its just not meant to be and really its time to let go(seriously he bit you) .And Damon is right about Rebekah she will break Matt (poor guy he’s only human) and she should have and interest in either Damon or Tyler (there more durable). Ok Stefan really needs to get over his issues or GTFO there’s to much brooding and elena is still in love with him and he’s is taking forever to make up his mind (dude she’s not going to wait forever) so make a god damn choice already.

katex

Posted at 9:58 PM on February 12, 2012

It was a great ep.!! STELENAAAAAAA!!!! WOooh ;) Rofl

Ozi

Posted at 8:20 PM on February 12, 2012

I think damon might loose interest out of anger at this point…he and rebeckha was a great idea…rebeckha is extremely sexy and deeply craves love …..just like damon.this should start as a random hook up and turn in to a deeper something as a suprise….and elena should just try to fix a guy ( stephan) rest of her life,like most women does :))

jessica huang

Posted at 4:10 PM on February 12, 2012

this part hurts me the most when damon told elena he loves her and elena directly refused his love and even said something that hurts him very severe.i hate her being selfish, she cling on two guys and always acting like is someone else fault. i mean either she choose stefan or damon, stop hurting the poor guys. elena is not worth for damon to in love with her.

Kay

Posted at 3:38 PM on February 12, 2012

what disgusted me the most about this episode is that after Elena was rude to Damon; instead of seeking him out to try to apologize, she goes to Stefan and begs him to FEEL something, oh my love Stefan, FEEL something!

pathetic! that is NOT what I call a heroine and it made me dislike stelena even MORE whereas although I’m Delena I used to think that at least they were a cute couple! they’re just like Bella/Edward I’m sorry, but they are!

but I haven’t lost hope in Delena. they have a bumpy road ahead of them but they always overcome and forgive (even though it takes Elena and Damon an episode longer to make up than her and Stefan) and that’s what makes them such a magical couple –

DELENA FOREVER !

and tbh I thought the debekah scene was hot *.* hehe I hope for Matt/rebekah though he really brings out her humanity! :)

Courtney

Posted at 9:45 PM on February 11, 2012

I was so pissed off at Elena for saying that to Damon. Give him a freaking break! He loves her so much and protects her and does what’s best, he’s changed so much from who he is, so why does everyone have to keep dumping on him?! That hot man can never catch a break!

Christine

Posted at 7:39 PM on February 12, 2012

I understand what you’re saying, but does a girl really have to give every guy that loves her a chance? I think a lot of DE shippers are more like Damon shippers. You want what’s best for him, regardless of the impact that might have on others. What about Elena’s needs, you know?

Giuls

Posted at 10:06 PM on February 12, 2012

Totally agree w/u christine!

Reality Bites

Posted at 10:19 AM on February 13, 2012

wow. this is exactly what i am about to say. DE is more on Damon’s perspectives, not of E.

Reality Bites

Posted at 10:21 AM on February 13, 2012

this is in reply to Christine.
and where’s DE is its only D btw.

Llalalala

Posted at 4:28 PM on February 11, 2012

Stelena I think that is enough :D

Sara1234

Posted at 1:39 PM on February 11, 2012

So, you think it’s creepy to break into someone’s house and leave drawings in that someone’s bed but you don’t think that breaking into someone’s house and watch that someone sleep almost every night is??? I really don’t get why the people from this site love Twilight that much…

lucy

Posted at 7:02 PM on February 15, 2012

yess! so true.. this site is so biased. at least klaus dont watch caroline sleep every night like a hungry lion.

Izzz

Posted at 6:45 PM on February 10, 2012

Well… This episode was terrible.
It was more like the real humanity in its fullness.
Those vampires are all SO HUMAN AND REAL! Isn’t this show a novel or something out of we see every single day? People cheating people, disappointments, lies?
A lot of the reality of human for my taste. Damon and Rebecca? It was disgusting and appealing.
Aghh! Quiting this “show”.

frannie

Posted at 5:43 PM on February 10, 2012

i don’t like damon & rebekah.. i prefer him with elena, even if i’m pretty sure she’ll end up with stefan

Lover girl

Posted at 5:40 PM on February 10, 2012

Omm (o my mom!) I love love love love love love love love the vampire diaries it’s the new thing for me!

Julieta

Posted at 3:21 AM on February 11, 2012

I totally agree! I love the show! I love this episode! i THINK THAT WAS AMAZING! Is my favourite on the 3 season!

Jelena

Posted at 4:43 PM on February 10, 2012

STEFAN AND ELENA!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD!!!!!! TRUE EPIC LOVEEE!!!! Damon can be with Rebekah or Caroline at the end – but STEFAN AND ELENA DEFINITELY! <3

Tanja

Posted at 3:26 PM on February 11, 2012

Yeeea omggggggg stelena are soooooooooooooooooooooo epic. like yeaaaaaaaaa like klaus the main villain of the show who has no idea about luv whatsoever sed ‘that kinda love never dies’….
yaaaaaaaaaaaaay
i love stelena….they remind me of bella and edward from twilight. i love twilight heeee..heeeee
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay true love never dies. they always say i love you stelena are so cute <3

VOMIT.

Elizabeth

Posted at 3:53 PM on February 12, 2012

Well that’s a whole lot better than

Oooooooooooooh Damon’s so hot, he just loves Elena so much even though he tried to kill everyone she loves. But he said he loves her so it doesn’t matter!
Ooooooooooooooooohh, he slept with her mother and turned her into a vamp but it doesn’t matter cause Damon is just so lost and needs Elena to help him find himself.
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, she kinda loves his brother but that doesn’t matter because Stefan left town to save Damon which means he doesn’t really care about anything at all which means Damon and Elena should just be together cause they are just SO CUTE and not dysfunctional in the slightest! YAYAYAYYAYAYAY DELENA.

THAT… is vomit.

Giuls

Posted at 8:36 PM on February 13, 2012

Elizabeth you’re simply great ;)

batousai

Posted at 9:43 AM on July 2, 2012

thank you soooooooooo much for that comment

lorein

Posted at 3:54 PM on February 12, 2012

You´re pathetic! hahaha

katex

Posted at 10:09 PM on February 12, 2012

i agree!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha :)

tizzy

Posted at 4:10 PM on February 10, 2012

even if I’m team Delena what happened between Damon and Rebekah was one of the hottest scene of the vampire diaries…but talking about elena she must be out of her mind,every girl would kill to be damon’s girlfriend,wake up girl!!!

DamonLover

Posted at 3:33 PM on February 10, 2012

I love both delena and stelena but i really wanted damon and elena to b together. But i suppose debecka is good too! I gotta admit, the ending was hot even.

Lexi.

Posted at 3:32 PM on February 10, 2012

Caroline was right about Klaus. And although I do want to see them together, it’s a pity that we’re losing the bad Klaus, who was the only evil character on the show. But you know what they say, love makes people do stupid things and I guess it’s also about the vampires.
In a nutshell, Damon is a whore as well as Elena is (ok, the sex scene between him and Rebekkah was hot), Esther is the worst mother EVER, Finn is weird, Kol may look like Elijah but he’s totally different, Elijah is sweeter than heaven and hotter than hell in a suit, tox or without anything, Stefan is still good, but he deserves someone better than Elena, Klaroline is the best part of the episode, but Joseph Morgan is a horrible dancer. But I still love him and his flawless british accent.
And I could write, and write, but I’m lazy today so…
xoxo