'Vampire Diaries' Scoop: Torrey DeVitto Says Meredith's Death Is 'Inevitable'

Wed, February 8, 2012 2:01pm EDT by 10 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Torrey promises Meredith’s drama is ‘about to come to a head.’

Torrey DeVitto has a little ritual she does every time she gets a new Vampire Diaries script: “I flip through really fast to see: Am I dead yet? No? OK, great, I’ll start from the beginning now.” But as one of the only fully human characters remaining on the show, she knows her days are numbered. “It’s kind of inevitable,” she tells HollywoodLife.com. “How long can I really last on this crazy, supernatural show? I’m just thankful I’ve lasted this long.”

Dating Alaric (Matt Davis) certainly isn’t helping Meredith’s chances of surviving in Mystic Falls — let’s not forget what happened about to Jenna (Sara Canning) and Isobel (Mia Kirshner) — but Torrey doesn’t care. She’s fully behind Meredith and Alaric’s rapidly evolving romance.

“I think there’s consequences to every relationship on this show,” she admits. “There are so many components mess them up. It’s hard to maintain a normal, healthy relationship. But I think their relationship is building in a cool way. I like these characters together, I think they work really well. I’m always excited to see where they’re going next.”

And as long as there’s breath in Meredith’s lungs, Torrey says we’ll continue to find out more surprises about her character.

“She’s got her secrets, and there’s a lot of stuff that’s about to come to a head,” Torrey says. You’ll start to learn more and more about her every episode. Her being a Fell will definitely play into the drama. She’s a really cool, strong, straightforward character that I really like to portray.”

She also likes the changes that Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec have made to her character, who was very different in L.J. Smith‘s original Vampire Diaries books.

“I actually auditioned for the pilot, and when Paul [Wesley] booked it, I went to Borders and bought the whole series,” she recalls. “It was so long ago that I didn’t remember specifics about Meredith, but I did remember her. She’s definitely different on the show, and that’s why I didn’t revisit the books. I didn’t want to get conflicted views in my head.”

What are YOUR thoughts on Meredith? Do you like her with Alaric? Do you hope she sticks around longer than his previous girlfriends? And do you think she’ll end up being more of an asset — or an enemy? See you in the comments section!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries scoop

Sugar

Posted at 9:47 PM on May 7, 2012

Meredith aka torrey I’m sorry to say HAS TO GO!!! TVD in my opinion has hit rock bottom since she came to the show. Has anyone else noticed that since paul wesley’s real life wife has been on the show the romance between elena and stefan has been non exsistant. I have a funny feeling that elena will end up with damon purely on the fact that torrey is too stuck up her own backside to allow paul to fully play his character (stefan) since torrey came to the show in season 3 we have had non of the stefan and elena romanCe we all love! GET TORREY OUT!!!

Sugar

Posted at 9:46 PM on May 7, 2012

Qwen

Posted at 10:41 PM on February 27, 2012

I feel like somehow blackmailed VD to get Torey on because I find it hard to believe the casting deprt would select the worse actor in Hollywood. The bigger joke is I can’t see her as model either she doesn’t have the looks! Let this be a lesson and don’t hire someone the cast think you should. I fast forward through all her parts. I also think she is the weakest link on PLL.

tvd fan

Posted at 8:37 PM on February 11, 2012

Her role on the show is not interesting at all..please spice up her character ..good/bad pick a side please..she’s boring ..your running the risk of losing fans ..please writers do something with her character…ALREADY..OR LOSE ALOT DEVOTED FANS…SHE’S A WONDERFUL ACTRESS LOVED HER IN ONE TREE HILL AS THE CRAZY NANNY…obviously she can play a mean character ..making her evil might work ..go for it…

Ali Hart

Posted at 9:36 AM on February 9, 2012

When it comes to her personality, I like her more in Mystic Falls, but PLL needs her b!tchiness back!

Sanne

Posted at 4:10 AM on February 9, 2012

Kill her off please :)

amanda

Posted at 8:58 PM on February 8, 2012

Love Meredith (Torrey) and love the romance between her and Alaric. Not to mention that she is bada-s tough.

lacysos

Posted at 8:30 PM on February 8, 2012

I love Torrey. She’s so beautiful. I like her and Alaric together. Hopefully since she’s a Fell and Merdith she’ll last longer than some of the other characters that come and go. Plus I’m really interested in learning about her secrets and how she fits into these murders, maybe?

Emilie

Posted at 4:02 PM on February 8, 2012

I don´t like meredith

memememe

Posted at 7:39 PM on February 8, 2012

Neither do i but that is partly cause im not a fan of Torrey Devito she should stick to her art in PLL and just stay with it