A 15.5 Pound Baby Breaks Records In China

Tue, February 7, 2012 6:35pm EDT by 8 Comments
15 Pound Baby

Baby Chun Chun set the record for the biggest newborn in China weighing 15.5 pounds. Wow! That’s a BIG baby.

According to the Daily MailWang Yujuan, 29, gave birth to Chun Chun on saturday. She delivered her son by caesarean section in Xinxiang City, which is located in China’s Henan Province. This is the second child for Wang and her husband, whose 8 year-old daughter weight just over 8.8 pounds.

“I clearly felt that my body was more clumbsy than when I had been pregnant with my daughter,” said Wang. “My belly was bigger than it was then. I guessed the baby would be between 10 and 11 pounds. I never expected to hear that he weighs 15 pounds.”

Between 2008 and 2010, three babies were born weighing exactly 15 pounds. They held the record for the country’s largest newborns, but Chun Chun now holds that record by .5 of a pound.

“This baby is twice as heavy as a normal one,” said Shang Lili, who is the head of the Obsetries department at the local hospital where Chun Chun was born.

The family is also thrilled that Chun Chun was born just after the lunar new year, the Year of the Dragon. “He’s a dragon baby,” Han Jingang, the baby’s father, told Xinxiang Television. “I feel very happy.”

Both the mother and the baby are doing fine.

-Milly Contreras

More Baby stories:

1. A Mother Gave Birth To A 14-Pound Baby Without Painkillers
  2. Super Bowl 2012 Commercials — Which Ad Has The Cutest Baby?
  3. This Baby Laughs Hysterically At Cheerios — Adorable Video

Laurie

Posted at 12:17 AM on February 8, 2012

Stupid foreign doctors – obviously she was WAY overdue. Doctors in this country wouldn’t have allowed that to happen.

guest

Posted at 11:19 PM on February 8, 2012

idiot. a baby was just born here only a pound lighter. research before commenting!

Liz

Posted at 10:57 PM on February 7, 2012

Wow! I thought my son was huge at 10 pounds 4 ounces (no gestational diabetes) but I was able to have him naturally! I couldn’t imagine having a baby so large that I’d require a c section! My guess is she had gestational diabetes to grow one that huge! He’s very cute though!

Courtney

Posted at 7:18 PM on February 7, 2012

a newborn being over 8lbs like this boys sister was 8 years ago isn’t uncommon but babies his size are unless mom had gestational diabetes which can lead to abnormally large/small babies and babies born of mothers like that are often born with Hypoglycemia

Julianne

Posted at 3:22 PM on February 9, 2012

I’m #5!!!!! :)

Julianne

Posted at 3:35 PM on February 9, 2012

HAHAHA and yes its me from dratch/roberts

Julianne DURNAN