'Smash' Premieres Tonight: 5 Reasons You Need To Watch (And Keep Watching)

Mon, February 6, 2012 12:22pm EDT by 9 Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Watch the full ‘Smash’ pilot here, then find out why you should keep tuning in every Monday night.

The curtain rises at 10 p.m. tonight on NBC’s new musical drama Smash, but considering the many ways people have already been able to watch the pilot — iTunes, Hulu, On Demand, etc. — it feels like the curtain has already been up for a while. And just in case the flood of promos during the Super Bowl wasn’t enough to convince you to tune in, allow me to try.

And now, my five reasons why you’d be the dumbest ever to miss out on Smash:

1. Katharine McPhee: Not only is she the biggest surprise of Smash, but Kat’s Karen is also responsible for much of the show’s heart. If you’re wondering why promos for Smash say “introducing Katharine McPhee,” despite the fact that we already met her years ago on American Idol, it’s because we really are meeting her in a whole new light on Smash. She’s compelling, she’s vulnerable — and damn it — she can put on a show!

2. It’s not Glee: Yes, Smash is a show about performers. And yes, some of the musical numbers happen to come about spontaneously, eventually leading the singer(s) to a stage. But the Glee comparisons end there, I promise. The bulk of the songs on Smash are original works written for the show-within-a-show, Marilyn; and even when the occasional Top-40 hit sneaks its way into the mix, the level of talent far exceeds those McKinley High ragamuffins.

3. Every character is worth caring about: Even on some of my favorite shows, there’s usually someone whose scenes are fully deserving of a bathroom break — but that’s just not the case with Smash. From the ladies vying for the lead role in Marilyn (Katharine and Megan Hilty) to the assistant fetching them coffee (Jaime Cepero), you will find yourself immediately invested in absolutely everyone. It takes a village to bring a musical to life, and I’d happily live in the village that is Smash.

4. It’s a great behind-the-scenes look: This isn’t the first show to give viewers a peek into the inner workings of show business, but where others like Studio 60 failed by being “too insider” and making the average person feel excluded, Smash invites viewers in and gradually introduces them to the ins and outs of the theater. Debra Messing‘s Julia and Christian Borle‘s Tom make it looks so easy that by the time the pilot is over, you’ll probably think you can make your own Broadway show. You’ll be wrong, but you’ll still think it.

5. It keeps getting better: Like with most shows, Smash‘s pilot sets up the drama to come — and trust me, what’s to come is epic. The drama intensifies, the musical numbers get bigger, and the plot gets all kinds of twisted.

Did I convince you?! Good, now watch the pilot in its entirety below! (But, you know, also watch it when it premieres at 10 p.m. tonight on NBC):

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Smash updates

ugradbeni ormari

Posted at 6:05 PM on June 17, 2012

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a applicable deal. I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered shiny clear idea

tina smith

Posted at 5:59 PM on February 7, 2012

I saw the pilot, and thought it was wonderful. Such talent, and there was a side to Kat I had never seen. She is very good at this part. Hope it’s a hit show. It deserves it.

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 3:57 PM on February 6, 2012

We found the pilot a little too cliched (characters, plotlines) to be thoroughly enjoyable, though it has promise. The Ivy character is interesting if they don’t turn her into the villain, but there’s an inherent danger in how predictable some of these stories could become.

Our take here: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-p5

Savana

Posted at 2:49 PM on February 6, 2012

I think it was amazing but I will wait until Megan hilty gets the role and then she does something shameful, which implies to her give up her role as merlyn and give it to Katherine McPhee character. They always try to make both leading ladies get the spot light, but Katherine character will be the one getting the role at the end. I swear if the show goes to this cliched path I am not bothering to watch, unless the other characters have interesting paths. But if it breaks the cliche and Megans characters gets the role, then it will be more cliche because they are trying to break the cliche. And if they try to focus on other characters, it will be hard because the main ladies will always be involved in whatever happens to them. You can deny all u want, but this will be glee all over again, where people just want to know all about Rachel. Glee is good, but apparently glee would be nothing without Rachel and I must admit I agree. So this show, if they don’t show the leading ladies involved all the time, then it won’t be interesting. NBC might have great ratings. But most it will be because people want to know what happens in the end.

just ok

Posted at 1:16 PM on February 6, 2012

andy, i watched the first episode and while megan hilty is amazing katherine mcphee is a good singer but her acting is not good.
i liked debra messing (and that surprised me) and want to see more about angelica houston.
it was good but not all the fuss people is talking about.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:51 PM on February 6, 2012

You really didn’t like Katharine McPhee? Maybe I had low expectations — I assume no one from Idol can act — but she blew me away.

As for Anjelica Huston, if you keep tuning in, you’ll see more of her ;)

I will admit it is getting quite a bit of fuss.

just ok

Posted at 9:42 PM on February 6, 2012

you are always nice and ready to reply, thank you for this.
i love broadway and tv in general, so if you compare megan hilty and k. mcphee there isn’t doubt on my mind, megan hilty is sooo much better.
i really like katherine mcphee, she has a great voice but her acting is just ok for her to be the lead of this show.

Sue

Posted at 12:33 PM on February 6, 2012

No Thank you to Smash!!! I have better things to watch and plus the Promo on this show is ridiculous…Any show that get’s that much promotion is no good…NBC is just desperate…Sorry NBC, better luck next time.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:52 PM on February 6, 2012

While I won’t disagree NBC is desperate for ratings (not every Sunday can be Super Bowl Sunday), I believe they’ve got something really incredible with Smash.

I’d be surprised if any fan of musical theater doesn’t enjoy it.