Neil Patrick Harris: I Don't Baby Talk My Twins

Mon, February 6, 2012 2:28pm EDT by 20 Comments

NPH’s twins are only 15-months old, but he talks to them like adults!

How I Met Your Mother actor Neil Patrick Harris and his partner David Burtka are the proud parents of adorable twins Gideon and Harper, but Neil says there’s no baby talk around their house! “My parents always talked to my brother and myself like we were regular people and not babies,” he tells PEOPLE. “So I don’t talk down to them in baby talk. I try to talk to them even though they can’t speak the language yet.”

Even though baby talk isn’t allowed in the Burtka-Harris house, there’s plenty of love for the twins. “They’re thankfully in the new huggy, clingy, head-on-shoulders phase, which is fantastic,” he gushes. “It’ll brighten up a sad day every single time.”

What do YOU think, HollyMoms? Do you use baby talk?

-Anna Moeslein

More NPH news:

1. Ryan Seacrest Being Replaced By Neil Patrick Harris On ‘American Idol’?
  2. Get Neil Patrick Harris’s Twins’ Cute Kids Style
  3. Neil Patrick Harris’ Halloween Family Portrait: The Cutest Picture Ever!

Erica

Posted at 8:38 AM on June 11, 2012

For those of you who think that they are depriving these children of a mother and that little girls need a mother. I think that you are completey wrong. Boys grow up in single households with just their mothers, If they have two parents who love them then that is all that any child needs.

doug crafts

Posted at 7:10 AM on May 15, 2012

doug sping 1010101010101010
spikng
1010101010101010 10101010shos 10101010
101010101010shoe3
3 101010

Clara

Posted at 11:34 PM on March 25, 2012

Baby Talk::: yup. I didn’t baby talk my sons either. It helped them communicate better.

Clara

Posted at 11:32 PM on March 25, 2012

I don’t think it should be highlighted how these adorable babies came about. They’re their parents’ personal decision and choice. What’s important is that they’re able to provide for their kids not only materially but with the love and support that their kids will need so that they’ll grow up into respectable and God fearing individuals. Rearing them is the challenge, not how to make them!It’s not fair that some people have to tag them.

Holly242

Posted at 11:45 AM on February 28, 2012

Why are people so Homophobic! It’s disgusting to think that people would deny children of a happy home just because a woman isn’t part of the equation. In my opinion who the hell cares, they love them little babies and that is all that matters. Men can be just as good to raise children as women, even without that natural instinct. I’m so glad I live in England because we just don’t care here. Neil and David CONGRATULATIONS :) x and commenting on the article speaking to children like adults is essential, that way they won’t be mollycoddled through life.

Laurie

Posted at 12:56 AM on February 27, 2012

Casper,
What do you mean you feel sorry for my husband? He’ll be the first one to agree with me…he knows he couldn’t handle the house – he is disbled…he always says he doesn’t know what he would do without me and doesn’t know how I do it ALL! Please only comment on that what you know – IDIOT!!!

Laurie

Posted at 1:02 AM on February 10, 2012

No, I’m not a sexist at all, just stating fact that my husband couldn’t begin to handle the house and my daughter – please don’t comment on what you don’t know about – you don’t know my husband so STFU!!!

Laurie

Posted at 12:45 AM on February 9, 2012

Casper,
Right you are…my husband would NOT be suitable to raise my daughter – heck he can hardly take care of himself. Men have not a clue what needs to be done for anything.

Christine

Posted at 4:52 PM on February 9, 2012

Sexist much? My mom went to Afganistan for 6 months and my dad managed to take care of my brother and me.

Casper

Posted at 9:57 PM on February 13, 2012

Wow, I feel really sorry for you husband…

jmp

Posted at 1:46 PM on February 8, 2012

It’s not homophobic to state that a child needs a mother. These kids were created in a lab to fulfil the wishes of two rich people who deliberately deprived two children of their mother. It’s as simple as that.

Laurie

Posted at 11:54 PM on February 7, 2012

No, I’m not an idiot just because I voice my opinion! Kids (and girls especially) need to have a female raise them, not just males.

Casper

Posted at 12:34 AM on February 8, 2012

No, you ARE an idiot. A homophobic one, at that. So I guess if you died, your husband would not be suitable to raise your daughter?

Sabrina

Posted at 8:57 PM on November 29, 2012

SO if the mother dies we should took the children away from the fathers??? U are stupid… sorry and homophobic either.. .
First the baby girl has women role models, aunts, grandmothers, friends, etc, but you choose to be so closed minded that u ever ever consider that
second… what the hell u are doing here comenting this?? go to your tupperware and leave us, the thinking modern people, alone

melissab

Posted at 10:24 AM on February 7, 2012

oh my god they look like the CUTEST family ever!! no one should ever have anything against them just because they’re gay! I mean they’re full of love and that’s what matters!!

Laurie

Posted at 12:06 AM on February 7, 2012

Poor kids…it should be against the law to grow up without a mother!

Blondie

Posted at 3:21 PM on February 7, 2012

You are a homophobic idiot.

Ella

Posted at 9:24 PM on February 6, 2012

I love reading stories like this.

ProudMomma8911

Posted at 6:49 PM on February 6, 2012

I do not baby talk my daughter at 6 months. I talk to her like an adult. She already says hey, hi & no. All simple words but still…

Diesel69

Posted at 3:35 PM on February 6, 2012

Finally–REAL PARENT—Listen all you straights and haters and learn—This is the way to teach and raise children—-